Chapter 2

One More Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungmin and Ryeowook sat down at one round table, facing each other.

 

Sungmin probably forgot the things he wanted to do, same as Ryeowook. They left the supermarket without carrying something in their hands. Ryeowook wanted to talk with him, Sungmin just agreed silently, even though he does have no idea what they should talk about here and there.

 

Sungmin noticed the changes in Ryeowook's feature. When they were teenagers, Ryeowook was petite, but now, he is slightly manlier. Ryeowook was cute, but now, he is handsome. His bangs were covering his forehead, but now, it is in sideways. His skin was tanned, but now, he has fair skin. His hair was black, but now, he dyed it into blonde.

 

Sungmin wonders if his voice is still beautiful when the last time he heard him sing.

 

Sungmin suddenly felt anxious when he saw Ryeowook looking at him as if judging him. Ryeowook is different now. He could not feel his old best friend, where is he? Should he find his old best friend when in fact, Ryeowook is now in front of him? But why is Ryeowook behaving like this? Sungmin doesn’t have an idea as well why Ryeowook is like this.

 

Sungmin doesn’t know how to start the conversation. They’re just sitting, looking everywhere, but both of them don’t dare to break the silence until a waitress shows up to break the silence between them and serves their orders.

 

Minutes had passed, but both of them didn’t dare to open their mouth or even touch their orders. Until...

 

“I…”

 

“Ryeowook –”

 

They said simultaneously but stopped when they heard one another speak.

 

“You first,” Ryeowook said sarcastically, letting Sungmin be the first one to speak.

 

Sungmin just looked, shocked. Why Ryeowook’s voice tone is like that? Is he had done anything wrong to him? But, what should he say to him? How is he? Why did he come back? Is he still in love with Kyuhyun? Sungmin got scared. What if Ryeowook is still indeed in love with Kyuhyun? How about Sungmin? How about his relationship with Kyuhyun? Will he be left just like that? Like a scratch paper?

 

Sungmin got more scared, very scared. What if Kyuhyun meets Ryeowook? And Kyuhyun confess to him? What will happen then? No, Sungmin will not let that happen. If he can be with Kyuhyun wherever he will go just to prevent the meeting with Ryeowook, he will. Call him selfish, but yes, he is selfish now. When the fact is, he now owns Kyuhyun. Sungmin will not let that happen; break the relationship he had with Kyuhyun. For what? Kyuhyun had moved on Ryeowook. Kyuhyun loves him. But... does he?

 

But what is the name Kyuhyun still calling every night when he was in his sleep? What is the picture behind their picture that is still kept inside in Kyuhyun’s wallet? What is the keyboard that is still in their apartment? What is the toothbrush that is still inside the bathroom even if no one is using it? What is the only one different picture still hanging on their wall even if there are a lot of pictures of him and Kyuhyun? All of that was Ryeowook’s belonging.

 

Sungmin may not be complaining, but he was hurt like hell when he found a wallet size of Ryeowook’s picture that's still hidden in Kyuhyun’s wallet, but Sungmin never told him what he found it out. Even if Kyuhyun never told him about the keyboard and the toothbrush, Sungmin found Ryeowook’s name engraved when he eyed them.

 

And the picture frame where Ryeowook is with them – that was shot when Kyuhyun and Ryeowook first dated –, Kyuhyun insisted on hanging it because Kyuhyun’s reason is, it is also their first picture together. Sungmin agreed. Even if he doesn’t like the idea, he still agreed, for Kyuhyun’s sake.

 

“H-how do you do?” Sungmin asked.

 

He felt an awkward aura with the man. Of course, he should. This man in front of him was still his best friend. And the man he was living with now was still his past lover. He should feel awkward. After all, Kyuhyun is still Ryeowook’s past lover even if they are not together now.

 

Ryeowook smiled but not wholeheartedly; instead, it was a sarcastic smile. “I’m fine.” He said and asked Sungmin back, “How about you, Sungmin-ssi?”

 

Sungmin-ssi...

 

Even if they are best friends, Ryeowook never calls him that way. He usually calls him ‘Sungminnie’ or ‘Minnie’, not a ‘Sungmin-ssi’.

 

“Feeling better too.” He replied.

 

“I know, and I can see it. I don’t know why I ask you that.” Ryeowook sarcastically replied.

 

Sungmin closes his eyes and opens them. He doesn’t know why Ryeowook is acting like this, as if he did something wrong to him that is not unforgivable, but when Sungmin heard Ryeowook’s voice again, Sungmin now understands why Ryeowook is acting that way. He now fully understands.

 

“I heard about your relationship with Kyuhyun. How does it feel, huh? You made a relationship with your best friend’s ex-lover.”

 

But Ryeowook left! He left Kyuhyun after he broke up with him. He left like thin air too in his life.

 

Is it because he built a relationship between him and Kyuhyun which is wrong? But was he there when Kyuhyun was left alone? Sungmin was there. He was always there. When Kyuhyun desperately needs him, he immediately stayed to Kyuhyun’s side. To comfort him, to cheer him, to help Kyuhyun forget that his life is miserable. And Ryeowook, where was he when Kyuhyun needs a person to comfort him? Where was he when Kyuhyun felt lonely? Where was he when Kyuhyun needs someone to hold on? He was not there. He left Kyuhyun hanging. And now, here is Ryeowook, accusing him as if he stole Kyuhyun from him. He doesn't have any idea how much he sacrificed just to not be with Kyuhyun.

 

“Wook –” Sungmin said in a calm voice, but Ryeowook didn’t stop.

 

“I thought you don’t like him? But what is this? Why do you have a relationship with him?”

 

Sungmin doesn’t know how to answer them. Yes, he told Ryeowook that he doesn’t have any little single feelings toward Kyuhyun. But, what should he say when the circumstances were when Ryeowook asked him if he has feelings towards Kyuhyun, and that time Ryeowook and Kyuhyun were already dating. Of course, he should say no, because he doesn't want to break the friendship he had with Ryeowook just for Kyuhyun.

 

But what is their relationship now? Sungmin had already broken the tie between them. He chooses Kyuhyun over his best friend. He decides to be selfish instead of being a given. He decided to be happy than to keep the relationship he had with Ryeowook. He chose the wrong decision than the good decision. And now, are these the consequences he will receive after all the decisions he made?

 

“But you left him.” Sungmin's firm voice replied.

 

“I had reasons,” Ryeowook replied, he glared hard at Sungmin.

 

“You had reasons and that’s why you left him? Your reason is very unreasonable, if ever. You don’t care about him. You were never considerate about how he would feel when you broke up with him. Or did you? If yes, why is he so miserable when you broke up with him? Are you there when he was crying lifelessly over you? Are you there every time he got drunk because he doesn’t know how to survive the situation you gave to him? You left him, Ryeowook. It’s not my fault if he fell in love with me or if he is living with me.” Sungmin said in one breath, an obvious firm voice.

 

“Are you sure that he is in love with you?” Ryeowook challenged, uninterested in what Sungmin had said.

 

“Yes,” Sungmin said, though he was not sure if Kyuhyun was indeed in love with him, he continued anyway, “because he had already moved on from you.”

 

“Are you sure of that? What if I will show myself to him? Who do you think he will choose between us? As far as I know, I still have belongings in your house.” Ryeowook threatens.

 

Sungmin mentally gasps in disbelief. How did Ryeowook know that? Did he hire a person to spy on them? No. Scratch that. That's a lame idea. Besides, Ryeowook will never do that. Even if Ryeowook changed, Ryeowook would not do that horrible thing.

 

Ryeowook smirked at Sungmin’s widened eyes. “I see then. And I’m still correct even now.” Ryeowook suddenly stood up as he smug, “You know, anytime I want I can show myself to Kyuhyun, and I can have him back in my life with no effort.” he paused, and looked at Sungmin intently, “Just think about it, Sungmin-ssi. If you want us to be best friend again, give him up.” with that, Ryeowook left him.

 

Sungmin suddenly backs to his sanity before Ryeowook completely was nowhere in his sight. He called the Ryeowook once again and asked him with his shaky voice when Ryeowook looked back at him, “By any chance, do you...do you still love him?”

 

Ryeowook stared at him for a minute and replied with confidence and a firm voice, “I do. I do still love him, and I will do anything just to win him back in my life.”

 

 

Sungmin walked heavily way back to their house. The sky is already dark, and his hands are both empty. He has completely forgotten why he went to the supermarket. He goes to the place somewhere he can clear his thoughts after he meets with Ryeowook. And now, he is still thinking about what Ryeowook had said to him. He thinks carefully. He does love Ryeowook as his best friend, and he does love Kyuhyun as his forever in his life. He has tormented between the two people who are precious in his life.

 

If he gives up Kyuhyun, Ryeowook will be his best friend again. But if he does not give up Kyuhyun, Ryeowook will not be his best friend, and they will end up enemies over Kyuhyun. He asked himself, who is the most important in his life? Sure, it was Kyuhyun but, how about Ryeowook? He needs to think wisely. Was it friendship over love? Or was it love over friendship?

 

Friendship is the kind of relationship he can’t replace. Once you trust your best friend, that person is the only one who can fully understand you over the problem you had. That person is always there to listen to your problem. That person is also there to help you. But once you lose the friendship you had with that person, it’s hard to get back the relationship you had with that person.

 

While love, you can replace it, but once you lose the person who had meant for you, you will regret all the decisions you made for the rest of your life. What if Kyuhyun had meant for him? What if it was just a part of a challenge in his life? To show how strong he was to fight his love for Kyuhyun? But what if Kyuhyun never meant for him? What if someone is there who is waiting for him? What if that person was waiting for Sungmin to notice him or her? If Sungmin chose Kyuhyun, the friendship he had with Ryeowook would vanish. And it would make him hurt more if Kyuhyun had never meant for him.

 

No, he should fight the love he had for Kyuhyun. What if Kyuhyun had meant for him? He would regret his decision if he chose to let Kyuhyun go. Sungmin should chose Kyuhyun. He should fight for Kyuhyun. His happiness is the most important now. He doesn’t care if his f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter