chapter two

Ètude

She watched as he played with the keys, not trying to play anything, they were at school now. She was supposed to be in PE, but she had ditched, to be with Byunghun during his study period. 

 

"I lived in the US for five years, I moved back here three years ago," he admitted, he put the fall board over the keys, it was 10 minutes before the bell rang, ending the school day, "My English name was Joe, do you have one?" 

 

"No, I just went by Suji, my mom chose it because it was easy for my father to pronounce," she picked her bag off the floor, "I know Korean because I was born here and lived here until I was 7. My mom always made me speak it when we left, she knew it'd come in handy one day," she looked around referring to her new surroundings. 

 

He stopped talking about it, he recognized the face she made after, a disappointed one. He wanted to ask her what was wrong but thought it was best to not bring it up, she'd always make that face when she referred to moving back here.

 

"Do you want to come over today?" She asked as they tidied up their space, making it look like they were never in there to begin with. 

 

"Maybe not today, I'm sorry, it's just that I have something planned with some of my other friends. But if you want, you're welcome to come," he invited her.

 

She wanted to decline, but she really thought about it. She only had two friends, Byunghun and her classmate, Jiyoung, "If they don't mind," she shrugged, playing it of cool, but hoped they would be okay with it. 

 

"Hello, I'm Suji," she bowed to the three boys in front of her, they looked between her and Byunghun curiously. 

 

"I'm Jonghyun, this is Changhyun, and Daniel," he pointed to the other two, they bowed slightly. 

 

"You're the second year girl who's mixed, right?" Daniel asked, Jonghyun rolled his eyes.

 

"Obviously she's half, she doesn't look full," Jonghyun couldn't believe he had even asked that. 

 

They ended up going to a mom and pop kimbap restaurant down the street from their school, she didn't know what to get in her roll, indecisive due to all the possible combinations. They agreed they would share with her because they all like different combos, she ordered some Jjajangmyeon which was too much for her, and shared that as well. 

 

"We're splitting it three ways?" Daniel asked when they finished what they could, they left a few pieces of kimbap and some noodles. "We shouldn't let Suji pay, she was invited," he looked over at Byunhun. 

 

"I'll pay for it, don't worry," she took out her wallet placing two 10,000 won bills on the table, enough to cover the bill, "We'll leave the rest for the tip," she began to clean herself up, the other three looked over at her curiously. 

 

"Suji, you don't need to leave tip here," Byunghun told her quietly, "It's considered rude, so we should wait till they give you the change," he suggested. She complied, watching the old woman who owned it come and collect the plates and bill. She returned with the change, and Suji took it. 

 

"Well I should be going," Jonghyun looked at his watch, "I have some supplementary classes to attend," he said his goodbyes, and so did Daniel and Changhyun, saying they had to head home, insisting Byunghun walk her home. They didn't think much of their insisting, it was normal for them to walk to her home anyway due to the extra piano time he liked to have. 

 

"Are you staying over? It's not too late," she had looked at her watch it was 7:30, before he would stay at her home until 8:00, but now was leaving as late as 10:00.                      

 

"I don't want to intrude so much you know? Plus I heard your mom is doing a Summer Concert, she must be practicing," he said in a hushed tone, it was getting a little too cold despite it transitioning into Spring.

 

"She's not home a lot anymore, she practices at her company most of the time now," she looked down, Byunghun couldn't help but feel a little doleful, knowing there was more to than just that. 

 

"I'll come over then," he smiled, putting his cold hands in his coat pockets. "Maybe one of these days, you could come with me to go look at pianos," he suggested, "I've been thinking about getting one." 

 

Once they arrived at her door, his phone rung, it had been his dad asking if he could come home and help him with something, "Will you be fine alone?" He asked, he didn't want to leave her so suddenly. 

 

"Of course," she laughed, "I'm pretty strong," she nodded. 

 

He watched her put her bag down and pull out her keys, he took advantage of that moment and slipped something into her bag, "Goodnight, I'll see you tomorrow during last period right?" 

 

"Of course," she opened her door, picking up her bag, "I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight," she waved, closing the door when Byunghun had his back turned to her. 

 

It wasn't till later that night she was doing her homework did she find what Byunghun slipped into her bag. A note and money. She looked at it confused, until she read the note, 'You shouldn't have to pay for an outing," it read, with the money she had paid to the restaurant attached. She shook her head in disbelief, and put the notes in her wallet; trying to figure out a way, just as sneaky as he had, to give it back to him.