chapter one

Ètude

"Suji, what are you doing up?" She heard her mother call out to her, she was in the extra room in their home, the room where they kept the piano. "It's 2AM, you have school soon," she walked up to the piano, putting down the fall board.

 

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't sleep, the time differences are really affecting me," she stood up, tying her robe sashes around her waist. She walked past her mother, going upstairs into her room, trying not hear her mother's cries.

 

"Jiyoung, do you happen to know a Lee Byunghun?" She asked the girl, and one of her new friends, who sat next to her, it had been a week since the chance encounter in the music room.

 

"Lee Byunghun, the third year?" She tapped her index finger on her chin, "I know of him, he doesn't really talk much to us second years, or really any year," she shrugged, "Why do you ask?"

 

"I ran into him awhile back that's all, I was just curious, that's all," she turned to face the door, where she saw Byunghun with a friend pass by. He was laughing about something when he looked inside and saw her, the smile disappeared from his face. She couldn't help but think he wasn't too fond of her.

 

"Philip Glass' Metamorphosis," she recognized the piece straight away, it was one of her favorites. She pulled up a chair, placing it to the side of the piano.

 

"What did I tell you about coming into places uninvited?" He hesitated, unsure if he should continue, but he ended up continuing to play.

 

"I couldn't help it," she smiled, closing her eyes, more interested in the music than Byunghun himself.

 

"Can't you play this yourself?" He sighed, as he pushed himself away from the piano. "Your mom is Taylor Jieun."

 

"I can, but it's better to hear others, everyone plays it differently," she stated, he rolled his eyes.

 

"How can someone play it differently when the sheet is all the same for everyone?" He scoffed with disbelief, 'Is this girl stupid?' He thought.

 

"No, I believe it's different, because it's all the emotions you put into it," she stood up and walked over to the piano, she sat next to Byunghun, beginning to play a couple of notes from Metamorphosis, at first he didn't get it, but then he began to. He could see the smile on her face reflect the notes, the serious mood was replaced by a light feeling, a carefree one.

 

"Teach me how to do that," he looked over at her, but he saw her face scrunch up.

 

"I'm sorry, I can't teach that, because it's in you. You need to find it on your own"

 

He looked down, thinking how difficult that would be able to do.

 

"Do you have a piano at home?" She asked, noticing it becoming late outside, she saw him shake his head no. "Well I leave you no choice, you're coming home with me," she laughed seeing his surprised expression. He agreed, hearing she had a piano he could practice on at home. The one that had once been in his home was gone, sold over three years ago.

 

The walk was a quiet one, her inviting him to stay for dinner if it took longer than expected. He said sure, thinking how this whole experience was a weird one. If he didn't live in the US when he was younger he would've thought it was an American thing, which it really wasn't.

 

"I'll go tell my mom I have a guest over, you can make yourself at home," she left him in the living room, the house was large, maybe too large for her and her parents. He saw some pictures on the walls, most of them being of her, or her with her mom. And only one with her father.

 

"I'm sorry, my mom isn't feeling so well right now so she won't be joining us for dinner," she apologized to him, but he didn't think that was a big deal. "Follow me," she grabbed ahold of his hand and lead him to the room opposite of the living room. Behind the door, it revealed a white grand piano, he was just used to upright pianos.

 

"This piano is too nice for me to use," he said at he ran his hand across the fall board.

 

"Just go for it," she picked up the fall board exposing the keys, he pulled out the bench and sat down. His fingers lightly touched the keys, playing a piece she didn't recognize, but soon realized it was one of his own pieces. She sat next to him, watching his finger stokes the keys, taking in the music.

 

He looked over at her, she couldn't see her facial expression, her hair covering her face, but he could tell it was one of content. That she'd never get tired of it, and he was glad for that.