chapter four

Ètude

She looked over her outfit, wondering if it was suitable to teach piano lessons in, it was a skater skirt she had bought in America, and a white and black button up shirt she had gotten at the Forever 21 here. She wore some oxfords, but changed last minute into some sneakers she had lying around. 

 

She was taking the first shift, while Byunghun would come in after her two hour shift and teach another student. She didn't inform her mom that she was teaching others to play, unsure with how she'd react, but it wasn't like she could anyway, the night she had dinner with her mom in Gangnam was the last time she had a conversation lasting more than a minute with her. 

 

"Mr. Ryu, I'm here," she entered the store, seeing him right away talking to a young man. She walked past them, going into one of the three back rooms that had a piano. She cleaned the keys, making sure there wasn't any marks left from past students, many of her students were elementary kids, who were a tad bit messy at times. She thought how it would take her only about thirty-nine more lessons until Byunghun could call the piano officially his. 

 

"Suji, my parents heard your mom is famous, so they switched me over to you," the little boy sitting next to her, Jihoo, told her. 

 

"How did they find out?" She helped guide his hands on the keys, she didn't look at him but his hands, trying to help him to get with the rhythm. 

 

"Mr. Ryu put an ad in the newspaper!" He exclaimed, "You're getting even more famous!" 

 

"I'm not famous, my mom is," she looked at his posture, "Make sure you straighten your back," she patted his back lightly, he fixed it.

 

"Secondhand famous?" He questioned, playing the song a little faster. 

 

"No, just not famous at all. What's the fun in not being famous on your own?" She explained with a sigh, when she was younger she thought how easy it would be for her when she was this age, how she could be a prodigy. But that wasn't the case now, she wanted to stay out of the limelight. 

 

They practiced more, her student was an eager learner, excited when she taught him anything new. He was actually sad when the lesson ended, he quickly said his goodbyes, and she began to clean up again. 

 

"Hey," she turned to see Byunghun by the door, she didn't know how to act, he hadn't come over to her house since he held her hand. 

 

"Hello, how are you?" She said formally, he of course, laughed. 

 

"Mr. Ryu told me that instead of one lesson, you have two starting from today," he leaned against the door frame, "Your lesson ends an hour early, but if you want you can wait for me, and I'll walk you home," he suggested. 

 

"Yeah, I'll wait for you," she took out some more music sheets from her bag, he watched her for awhile longer, trying to figure out what else to say to her, but couldn't bring anything up. He ended up leaving, going to his room next door to hers.

 

She looked at the time on her phone, the person was twenty minutes late. She stood up, walking back and forth in her room. She then sat down, playing Aquarium by Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns. She played it without making a mistake, but couldn't help that she had messed up, something was off. She continued to play one of her mom's own compositions, just a random she found when picking up her room, and she kept it. She tried to play it like her own mother would, trying to imagine how her mom would slightly arch her back towards the piano. How she would pick up her pace in the middle but when Suji tried to achieve it she messed up, pressing the wrong key, making it sound terrible, she put her hands on her face, trying to keep herself from becoming upset.

 

"What happened?" She heard an unfamiliar voice behind her, she took her time to turn slightly seeing him through her peripheral vision. He was good looking, that's what she first thought, her eyes met with his for a moment but she averted her eyes, wondering how much of the incident before he had seen. "My name is Kwon Hyunshik," she looked at him once more. She had recognized his name.

 

"Why are you here?" She sneered, getting up from her seat, and headed for the door, which he was conveniently blocking.

 

"You're doing these lessons to help your friend get a piano, come on. Would you really just give up like that? That isn't the Suji I know," he put his hands on her shoulders.

 

"I'm not that girl anymore, and you know that," she jerked from his grasp, going past him, and to the front where Mr. Ryu was, "Mr. Ryu, I can't teach that student, he already knows how to play. In fact maybe even better than myself," she admitted.

 

"If that's the case then I'll just give him back all of his money," Mr. Ryu began to pull out a lump sum from under the counter. "He wanted lessons from you, and he offered to pay for Byunghun's piano for just five lessons," she looked down at the money, thinking about it seriously.

 

"Shut up, you're getting annoying," she was annoyed with Hyunshik, who was bringing up memories. Most of them being embarrassing.

 

"You know, everyone misses you in New York. You just left without telling anyone what happened," he admitted, "Even I missed you a little, like pea sized little," he laughed.

 

"I can't go back to New York, we're all settled here, my mom has her own concert coming up in a few weeks," she mentioned, "My mom loves being home, I can't just take it away from her because I'm being selfish."

 

"But there is also something holding you back here, it isn't just your mom," he glanced behind them, Byunghun was there looking in at the pair thru the small window on the door.

 

"Far from it, actually," she turned and smiled at Byunghun, she looked at her watching, noticing she stayed as late at him today, "I'm going with him, I'll see you next week?" She gathered her things, quickly going out to meet with him.

 

Byunghun and her were walking home together, she was unsure if she should tell him about Hyunshik, how he paid for his piano. But she decided against it, making her worried that he might think the two were more than old classmates. She sighed loudly, making him look over at her. He looked over at her, unsure how to say that she looked nice today, but it wasn't just nice. He wanted to say she looked cute, but she always looked cute, he could feel his ears warm up.

 

Byunghun cleared his throat, catching her attention, "I've been wanting to ask you, do you want to hang out sometime?"

 

"Hang out? Or Hang out?" She whispered the last part, knowing what he was hinting at.

 

"If you don't want to hang out like that I understand," he stammered, he didn't know what he'd do if she would say no.

 

"No! I want to hang out with you, like that," she mumbled.

 

He smiled at her, his nervousness fading. It came back though, the nervousness, as his hand accidently brushing against hers. She noticed how flustered he became, she intertwined her fingers with his.