Nine

The way you change my life

 

I trust you

Doo Joon came back to the hospital and tried to get news about Hyunseung and Hyun Jung. However, all he heard were things like “I’m not the indicated one to tell you” or “we are not sure yet” or “he’s not my patient”.

What the hell? Was this hospital that useless? How it is that no one can give him a proper answer. All he wants to know is his nephews and Hyung’s states. He just wants to know that they’re Ok, that there’s nothing wrong with them. But there’s no one to tell him that.

After like it seemed to him an eternity, Doctor Choi came to him and told him what he wanted to know. However, what he heard wasn’t the good knew no one would ever want to hear.

Doctor said that Hyunseung was physically fine; that he had no broken bones neither internal bleeding, his organs seemed to be fine and everything was working as they have. It was probably because of his parents’ protection. According to Dr. Choi’s suspecting, both Hyun Jung and Ha Seung had protected him with their own body. That was the main reason of Ha Seung’s serious injuries... and of Hyun Jung’s too.

However, Hyunseung was still unconscious. He hadn’t wakened up since they got him here and he didn’t respond to any kind of stimulation, which meant he was in coma.

After few minutes of fighting his tears, Doo Joon managed to put on a calmed face. He took a deep breath and then came into Hyun Jung’s room. A nurse was there checking on him, but as soon as she saw Doo Joon she left to give them privacy.

“Doodoo-ah, you’re here” said Hyun Jung in a whisper; a hoarse whisper.

Doo Joon walked over the bed and sat at the edge showing his back to his hyung.

It was hard to speak. He knew he had to tell him, but he wasn’t sure how to break the news.

“How are you feeling?” he asked looking at the machine beside the bed.

“As if I was hit by a truck” Hyun jung laughed at his own answer. It was obvious he was hurting, but he wasn’t going to admit it. It would only make Doo Joon worry.

“Well, you were” even if Doo Joon wanted to laugh or at least chuckle to easy the mood he couldn’t.

“I know” Hyun Jung chuckled again letting silence fell over them before asking “How are they?”

Doo Joon had to take a deep breath before answering.

“Seungie’s injuries aren’t really serious. You and... noona protected him really well” it was hard just to mention her and Doo Joon felt he would break at any minute just by thinking about her “but he got hit on the head, and he’s...” it was also hard to explain Hyunseung’s state “Doctor said he hadn’t wake up since the accident”

Doo Joon finally decided to face his Hyung and observed his reaction carefully: he seemed calm but his breathing increased.

“Has the doctor told you when he will wake up?” he said after breathing out loudly, obviously trying not to break.

“Anio, they don’t know. The doctor said it’s hard to really know. Just time will tell”

Silence fell over them again and Doo Joon knew Hyun Jung would ask him about his noona, but it was hard for him. Just to think about it, tears seemed to form in his eyes, but he had to fight them back. There was a big lump in his throat and he didn’t know where to start neither how to.

“Why so silent, Doojoon-ah? Why do you have puffy eyes?”

Doojoon didn’t know what to say, but he was sure he couldn’t say anything about his sister; not yet.

“Seunige, he’s just a kid and... he has to go through all of this. That’s why I’m sad” it wasn’t completely a lie, but it wasn’t the true either.

“DooJoon, look at me” said Hyun Jung, and Doo Joon did. Then Hyun Jung motioned him to come closer and Doo joon did.

Looking at his Hyung Doo Joon couldn’t help but to let a tear fall from his eye and look down to the sheets.

“You’ve never been a cry-baby, Yoon Doojoon” said Hyun Jung as he wiped the tear with his thump.

“Hyung... Noona is...” Doo Joon wasn’t able to finish his sentence and just let his tears run down his face.

Doo Joon lifted his gaze to Hyun Jung and another big lump formed in his throat. That was the worst sight he would ever imagine.

There was Hyun Jung with his eyes filled with tears. Tears that he had been fighting back but that finally won. He wasn’t sobbing, but he was breathing faster, as if trying to control his cries. He looked back at Doo Joon with a sad smile —a knowing smile— on his lips and a tear running down his face.  

Doo Joon couldn’t hold it anymore and buried his face on the sheets.

None of them say anything. They just let their tears wash their pain, even when they knew that no matter how many tears they cried, this pain would never easy.

“I’m glad” Hyung Jung broke the silence “I loved her with all my might”

Doo joon didn’t dare (more like he couldn’t find his own voice) to speak.

“I’m glad I always kissed her... and I’m glad we gave Seungie all the love we could have given him”

“You’ll keep giving him love, hyung” Doo Joon said when he found his voice. Hyun Jung chuckled at that.

“Your sister, she... was wonderful”

Doo Joon observed Hyun Jung, as he talked about his sister with a smile in his face. He remembered the first time they met at the library and how Hyun Jung used a kid he was taking care of to take Ha Seung’s attention. At the beginning she ignored him as she ignored every guy who tried to flirt with her. However, he didn’t give up. With time, she got used to him and little by little she started talking to him. When they finally became friends, she never forgot to mention HIM, the only guy in her heart, in any of their conversation. Hyun Jung was jealous of HIM for a long time, until he met HIM: it was Doo Joon.

Hyun Jung also told him the reason behind Hyun Seung’s name: it was the couple name Doo Joon gave them.

“He is the most precious gift she gave me” Hyung Jung turned to Doo Joon with teary eyes and a smile in his lips “Doo Joon, promise me that you’ll never leave him alone”

“hyung...”

“I know that I’m asking you a lot, but he’s my life... he’s all I care in this life” Hyun Jung managed to say in choked voice.

“Don’t talk as if you won’t be here, hyung”

 “We both know I’m not going to make it” Doo Joon met his Hyung’s eyes and the tears came back to him.

Doo Joon knew it. Yes, he knew it well, but it didn’t make it hurt less. Doctor Choi had told him that, same as Ha Seung, Hyun Jung’s body was hurt badly because he had protected Hyunseung. Because of their parents sacrifice, Hyunseung wasn’t that bad.

“My Seungie... ani, our Seungie... our Seungie is going to be a handsome man”

“Deh~ He will, Hyung” Doo joon said choking a sob.

“Right, hun?” just then Doo Joon realised that Hyun Jung wasn’t looking at him, but something behind him. He turned around, following his gaze, but there was nothing but emptiness.

“He has your eyes” Hyung jung continued talking to the air “your face, my nose and my lips... right hun?”

Suddenly, the machine beside the bed started making weird sounds as Hyun Jung talked and Doo Joon felt his chest tightening. Something was wrong. Without thinking twice he pressed the nurse button and right after that, the EKG started changing drastically; his heart beat increased and so did his breathing.

“Hyung! Hold on, they’re coming, hyung!” He wanted to run to the hall and call for help, but Hyun Jung’s grip stopped him.

“Doo Joon ah, you have to take care of Seungie” Hyun Jung spoke as few tears fell from his eyes.

“You know I will Hyung”

“Promise it! Promise you’ll take care of him!”

“I will, Hyung. I will”

“Promise it...”

“I promise Hyun” Doo Joon finally understood what Hyun Jung wanted. He needed the reassurance that Doo Joon would take care of Hyunseung, he needed to know that his precious son was going to be in good hands. “I promise to take care of him. I’ll never leave him alone, like you never left me, Hyung. I promise”

A nurse came into the room just then and ran to the machine with wide eyes. Then she ran to the phone on the wall.

“Code blue, code blue” she said and then ran to Hyun Jung again.

Soon, more people —nurses and doctors— entered the room and surrounded the bed. A nurse came by Doo Joon’s side and tried to take him away, but Hyun Jung’s tight grip didn’t let go of him.

“I trust you” were the last words he said to Doo Joon before he was finally pulled away from the bed.

Doo Joon’s mind was in blank as he couldn’t do anything but to stare at the scene happening in front of him. He fell on his knees as if they had no strength, as if the time had stopped, as if the sounds didn’t exist, as if his tears weren’t falling, as if the pain in his chest wasn’t there... as if his hyung wasn’t dying just before his eyes.

“Mr. Yoon”

Doctor Choi’s voice shook him out of that state. He didn’t need to listen what he had to say. He knew it already: the long beeping sound coming from the EKG told him everything.

“I’m sorry” he said with apologetic voice.

Looking at Doojoon’s state —on his knees, tones of tears running down his face, without taking his eyes off Hyun jung— doctor Choi motioned everyone to leave and when they did, he kneeled down at the side of the teen and put an arm around his shoulders.

Doo Joon wasn’t sure how long Doctor Choi stayed with him or how long had he been crying nonstop. He wasn’t sure how he ended sleeping in the chair beside Hyunseung’s bed or when had Junhyung arrived. Later he told him that, the accident had being so big that it was all over the news on Sunday. As soon as Junhyung saw the news he ran to the hospital just to find his best friend sleeping beside Hyunseung’s bed with swollen eyes.

 

“As cliché as it sounds, I want my ashes to be thrown to the sea” Ha Seung said as she turned off the TV. They had been watching a chapter of Bones when Dr. Brennan went to her mother’s grave.

“Wae? You’ve never liked the sea, Noona?”

“Because cemeteries are depressing: even if you ask someone not to cry when they go visit you, I’m sure they will”

“So you want them to cry at the beach? Noona, you’re so mean”

“Anii!! Hyunseung loves the beach and I’m sure I’m going to die before him” She smiled at the kid sleeping soundlessly on his dad’s chest who was also asleep “so every time he goes to the beach and feel the breeze on his face, he would think of me hugging him”

“Since when is Noona a poet?” Doo Joon said, earning it a smack from her.

“Just promise me my ashes will be thrown at the beach”

“Neh, neh, I promise...”

 

“Hey, what ya’ doing?” asked Junhyung as took a sit beside his friend.

Doojoon turned his gaze towards his friend and then back to moving the water.

“The weather was nice, so I decided to make a small visit” he closed his eyes, feeling the cold breeze on his face.

“Nice weather my ; here it’s cold as hell!” Junhyung said as he rubbed his hands and blew in them, trying to warm them up.

“Isn’t hell supposed to be hot?” Doo joon reasoned.

“And who said hell can’t be cold?”

Both friend laughed at their useless discussion and then let the silence surrender them.

“Anyway, it’s Christmas eve; you shouldn’t be here alone. Besides, if we stay any longer here we might get a cold and mom would get mad” Doojoon turned his face to his friend and smiled. Neh, it was already Christmas. It had been more than three months since the accident, but it still felt as if it had happened just the day before.

“neh, let’s not worry your mom more than this” He nodded in agreement and then both got up and started walking. Doo Joon looked back once and felt the breeze in his face one last time, making him smile. It was as Ha Seung had told him; it felt as if she was hugging him.

They walked in silence for a while until Junhyung’s hard stares were too strong for Doo Joon to ignore. He knew he wanted to ask him what doctor Choi had told him, but he wasn’t sure how to do it.

“December 30th” He finally said. Doo Joon knew Junhyung was looking at him with questioning eyes, but he didn’t look back at his friend “If Hyunseung doesn’t wake up for December 30th they’ll have to shut him down” He turned around to face a wide eye Junhyung.

He was shocked to hear that; of course he was. Junhyung knew what Hyunseung meant for his friend. Just the idea of him waking up was what kept him going on. He knew how hard was for him to keep with his life.

The following weeks after the accident, Doo Joon wouldn’t separate from Hyunseung’s bed. It took Junhyung all the patience of the world to get him to eat or take a shower. Afraid of what he might do if he was left alone, Junhyung asked his mom to let Doo joon stay with them, but he rejected to stay away from Hyunseung. He even called Yoseob, because he knew would put some sense into Doojoon’s head, but then he found out he had moved.

It all happened really fast; one day Doo Joon woke up and walked out of Hyunseung’s room. He went to Junhyung’s house; he finally ate some real food and then got out and he didn’t come until late night. Days later Junhyung found out he had gone to their school and told the director he was dropping school to start working. He explained that, if he was going to take care of Hyunseung on his own then he would need money.

“The longer they stay in the coma fewer possibilities there are” Doo joon explained with a sad smile “There are rare cases in which a patient wakes up of the coma after so much time, but those are only one in a million cases. Beside, Hyung’s secure doesn’t covers for more”

“He’ll wake up” Junhyung said, trying to assure his friend and himself of something he knew was practically impossible to happen.

Doojoon looked at his friend and smiled. What would he do without Junhyung? Probably just cry alone and let sadness surrender him.

They didn’t talk more the rest of the way.

As soon as they arrived, Junhyung’s mom gave each one a cup of hot cocoa to warm them up. Dinner was held no much after that and then they gathered at the living room to share some stories. However, Doojoon wasn’t in the mood for that, so he apologised and went straight to bed. He didn’t want to listen to happy Christmas’ stories when he knew he couldn’t smile truthfully and it would just make Junhyung’s family sad. He didn’t want to ruin their Christmas Eve with his dark aura.

Next morning, Doojoon felt something on his lap. It was heavy and it was jumping. He opened his eyes lazily and his heart almost stopped as he saw a doe eye little brunette.

Hyunseung...

In a fast movement Doojoon sat up and looked at the kid in his lap with wide eyes and half opened mouth. His breathing increased and his vision started to get blurry.

“Wake up, wake up! Oppa!”

Oppa?

Doo joon narrowed his eyes feeling something was wrong. He shut his eyes tightly as he tried to calm his breathing. When he opened his eyes the image of the doe eye kid he loved so much vanished to be replaced by a little girl with a cute smile. It was Hyuna.

“Merry Christmas oppa!” she said handing him a small wrapped box.

It was Hyuna.

“Oppa, why are you crying?” Hyuna reached her little hand to Doo joon’s face and wiped a tear. Doo Joon then noticed his tears had finally won the battle they had been fighting for a long time. Hyuna was looking at him with a small pout and worried eyes.

“A-ani” his voice cracked “this... this is because I’m happy” He said faking a smile to calm the kid and wiping his tears with the back of his hand.

“...because of my present?” she asked to make sure.

“Neh, of course I’m happy. I’m happy...”

Not wanting to Hyuna anymore, Doo joon decided to open the present she gave him. It was a portrait made of carton, obviously made by her. Doojoon wondered if Hyunseung would have given him something made by him. This was supposed to be their first Christmas together but Hyunseung was in coma and his parents were dead, how was he supposed to be happy?

Suddenly, Junhyung entered the room breaking Doo joon’s track of sad thoughts.

“Hyuna, go to your room and get ready to go out” he said to his sister and quickly turned to his friend “You too, Doo Joon. Change now. We’re going out”

“Wae? I don’t want to! You said we were going to open the gifts!” Hyuna whined as she walked to her brother

“and we are going to do it, Hyuna. But Doojoon is gonna open his first”

“I am?” Doojoon asked still looking at the portrait in his hands, slightly curious. He didn’t feel like going out but he wondered what his friend meant.

“Yes, that’s why we’re going out”

“and where are we going?” asked Hyuna

Junhyung walked to Doojoon’s bed and placed a hand in his friend’s shoulder. Feeling the weight on his shoulder, Doojoon lifted his head and faced a smiling Junhyung.

“...to the hospital”

 

Doo Joon couldn’t believe what his eyes were seeing: Hyunseung was awake. He had waited so much for this... this was definitively the best Christmas gift ever. Soon, he felt his eyes getting watery, but he contained his tears since he didn’t want to worry Hyunseung with that.

With every step he took toward the bed his heart would beat faster and probably louder. There was his nephew, looking just fine; listening to whatever the nurse beside him was saying.

Just when he sat on the chair beside the bed Hyunseung noticed his presence. He looked at Doojoon right in the eyes; however, Doojoon knew there was something missing in them. He reached his hand to Hyunseung’s but, as soon as he made a small contact, the kid retired his hand.

Doojoon felt his heart stop inside his chest as he remembered what Dr. Choi had told him when they talked just minutes ago.

         He doesn’t remember.

 

“Hi” he greeted with shaky voice as he tried to remember how to smile normal. “I’m Doojoon, but you can call me Hyung, well, if you want”

He waited for Hyunseung to say something, but the kid only looked at him with emotionless eyes. However, Doojoon didn’t give up.

“Have you eaten yet?” the nurse shook her head telling Doo Joon what Hyunseung’s wasn’t going to answer and then she excused herself out, leaving them alone.

 

Since he had been almost four months into coma, his body was still weak and it needed to recover. Also, they needed to do several exams since they weren’t sure why he wasn’t speaking. However, as hard as it was to deal with a mute expressionless Hyunseung, Doojoon never missed to visit him in the morning before going to his job and at night, to tell him a story until the kid would fall asleep.

 

An entire month passed like that and Doojoon couldn’t wait for the day when he would be able to take Hyunseung home. However, some events don’t always go as planned.

“They’re taking Hyunseung into an orphanage” Dr. Choi told him just before he entered Hyunseung’s room. There was a woman in formal clothes waiting for the nurse to finish changing Hyunseung into new clothes.

“What? Hyunseung has me! Why would they take him?”

“...because you can’t take him with you”

“W-what do you mean I can’t? I’m his uncle!”

“Since you don’t have a way to support yourself-”

“I have a job” Doojoon cut him off. If money was the problem then he would work harder.

“...and you’re still underage” He continued as if he hasn’t been interrupted “I’m afraid you’re not able to take care of him”

“You don’t get it. I’m ALL he has!” Doojoon made sure to emphasise each word so he would make his point clear. “If I don’t do it, who will take care of him?”

“I will” said a young woman as she closed the door of Hyunseung’s room. She heard a commotion outside, that’s why she came out of the room. She approached Doojoon and extended her hand “Choi Sooyoung, I’m an employee of Busan’s Orphanage and I came here to take the kid named Jang Hyunseung with me”

“W-what? Y-you can’t?” this couldn’t be possible. No, he couldn’t lose him again.

“The fiscal called to the orphanage few days ago. She said that we must take Hyunseung with us and relocate him with foster parents, if it was possible”

“But I-”

“I know you’re his uncle and you are all he has... or that’s what Oppa said” She turned her eyes to Dr. Choi and so did DooJoon. The doctor just smiled sadly at him “That’s why I’m really sorry I have to do this. However, Hyunseung doesn’t remember anything and it would be more traumatizing for him to try to remember his dead parents than to start anew. We’re just doing what we think it’s the best for him.” she explained with an apologetic smile.

Just then Hyunseung came out of the room followed by the nurse. He looked at Doo Joon and then to Ms. Choi with his usual expressionless face.

Sooyoung bent down to Hyunseung’s level and smiled sweetly to him.

“Are you ready?”

Hyunseung nodded slowly and then she stood up again.

“We’ll be going now” she bowed to Doojoon and then walked out, taking Hyunseung with her.

 

Doo Joon fell on his knees and froze, not knowing how to react. He had lost Hyunseung once again and this time the law was against him. Junhyung, who was there since Sooyoung explained the reasons why they were taking Hyunseung, approached his friend and put a hand on his shoulder. Just then, Doojoon reacted. He stood up and ran up. Junhyung, afraid of what his friend might do, ran after him.

Luckily, Doojoon managed to catch them before Sooyoung reached her car.

“Can I at least say goodbye?” he asked a bit breathless due to the running.

Not wanting to deny something so simple and what could be their last time together, Sooyoung agreed to it. She let Hyunseung stay with Doojoon while she talked with Dr. Choi.

 

“Hey” Doo Joon got into his knees to be at Hyunseung’s eye level. “You see, that lady is going to take you to a place where there are a lot of kids, you know that right?” Hyunseung nodded, and he continued “There are the kids that have no family, but you are a special case, ok? You’re not going there because you don’t have family. You have me, remember that, Seungie” a knowing stingy feeling started to invade Doo Joon’s eyes

Hyunseung didn’t say anything and just looked at the guy in front of him.

“oh, yeah. I almost forgot” He took off his backpack, opened it and took off a stuffed reindeer with red nose from it. Last night he remembered Hyunseung once told him he wanted a reindeer and he went with Junhyung to buy one. However, there wasn’t any cute one in the stores. Just when they were about to give up, Junhyung saw a cute one in one of those games with a claw and a lot of stuffed animals. They played that game for almost two hours before they were able to get the cute red nose reindeer.

“This is my little friend and he’s really special to me. Right now I can’t take care of him, because... some people won’t let me. So, I was wondering if you would take care of him for me until I come to take him?” he said as he handed the toy to the kid.

Hyunseung took the stuffed animal and examined it with a quick look. Doojoon would swear there was a tiny smile in his lips and pretty shine in his eyes as he looked at toy.

“Will you stay with him until I come to take it?” Hyunseung looked at him a slowly nodded his head.

“We have to go already” Sooyoung decided it was time for Doo joon to end his farewell. She bowed to Doojoon and walked Hyunseung to the car. Hyunseung looked back at DooJoon and then held tight the reindeer. For Doojoon, it was a good signal.

Junhyung, who had been listening to them from certain distance, then approached Doo Joon as he watched the car leave.

“I’ll take him back” Doojoon said as he clenched a tight fist. “No matter what I have to do; no matter how long it takes me to or if I have to play dirty tricks; I swear Junhyung that I’m taking Hyunseung back to me” 

 

Junhyung looked at his friend and saw how different he was from the Doo Joon three months ago. No, it was even different from the Doojoon few minutes ago. The Doojoon right now had made a resolution: he was taking his nephew back. 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, So i've been gone for practically an entire month, but I have my reasons for that.

First: mom hurted her knee on december 14 and since I'm not working, on any class and on vacation (and I don't have a boyfriend who takes me out just when there is more work) I'm in charge of helping mom, coocking, washing the clothes, cleaning the house..well, there do is someone helping me, but still... and it would be easier if my lovely brother and adorable sister helped me, but no.... leave it to the maknae... yeah yeah... *sigh*

Second: December is the month of the birthdays in my family; mom's, dad's, grandma, my brother's... Christmas and new year... starting with dad's on december 15... do I have to say who prepared everything? *sigh*

Third: My house is BIG... and I mean it BIG!!!! ... do you have any idea how tired I am when I finished cleaning???... then I have to cook (for 8), I have to feed the animals (we have a small farm: 8 hens, four ducks, two bunnies, three dogs, three parrots... not to mention that now there are four more puppies and 20 new born chikens (well you know what I mean) ... and then clean their houses... *sigh*

fourth: After I finished all that and I'm finally able to use my lap, I'm drained of ideas -.-   to distract myself I read some fics (and some gave me good ideas for a MyungYeol) drop few comments and then go to bed...  then there's an idea... but I've already shutted down my lap and I'm too tired to start it again and while I'm having an internal battle about it... I fall asleep.  then the next day is the same again *sigh*

So, as you see, I've been very busy these days... not too mention that I'm tired as a punching bag. I managed to write few lines day by day, and that's the main reason for the delayed chapter. But, hey, as I promissed this is longer and well, about the picture... *sigh* I wanted one that showed the doojoon at the end so... well, failed. 

Oh, next chapter is going to be happier, (I think even cold rain ruining a sunny day could be happier than this) so I'm leaving a little spoiler: GD

pddt: I think someone should pay mom for everything she does in the house... SERIOUSLY!!