Twenty four

The way you change my life

24

Bad luck. That was definitely Hyuna’s second name. Well, maybe more than bad luck it was just her sad destiny. Yeah, her sad destiny was to always have the worst luck.

The day before she had spent the afternoon at Kikwang’s place —she couldn’t get into the apartment since she didn’t know the code of the door neither had a key— and came back pretty late. Usually, she would have to knock on the door —Junhyung had unplugged the bell because he hated scout girls—; however on her way home she received a text from Junhyung with the door’s code and a short message telling her to not knock on the door.

It was weird and she wouldn’t have been surprised if it was a cruel prank but it wasn’t. The moment she dialled the code the door actually opened. However, everything was dark and Junhyung never slept that early —before 10 pm was still early for him— so she felt something fishy about it.

Not minding that much about it but aware that he might be planning something, Hyuna entered the apartment trying to make the less sound possible.

Not only was it dark, it was also very silent. The only source of light was provided by the opened window at the end of hall but it was still pretty dark. It took her few minutes to adjust her eyes to the darkness, but still she could barely see shadows.

Suddenly there was movement coming from Junhyung’s room.

For the form of the shadow —not that tall, a bit curved to the front and with what seemed to be a lazy belly— she figured it was Junhyung. Luckily he didn’t notice her presence and just walked to the couch while he unfolded what seemed to be a big cover.

It was just when he adjusted it over the form on the couch that Hyuna realized there was someone lying on it. And that’s when she started to panic.

He wouldn’t have finally decided to bring someone home to satisfy his male needs, right? He wouldn’t be that shameless, right? First of all she wouldn’t be on the living room, she would be on Junhyung’s bed, under his covers and… probably like she arrived into this world.

The idea of witnessing some rated scene freaked her out more than she would like to admit, but she was also really curios, so she took the risk and vented over, closer and tried to who it was. However she bumped into the step door; tumbled back and accidentally turned the lights on.

Obviously Junhyung discovered right away, silently scolded her and telling her to turn the lights off again but that gave her enough time to see who was on the couch: Hyunseung.

Although she was happy it wasn’t a woman, she wasn’t happy it was Hyunseung either. It confused her because she didn’t know who she was mad at: Junhyung for covering the sleeping Hyunseung; or Hyunseung for sleeping while Junhyung covered him.

First because, although Hyunseung always slept on class, she had never covered him —although she wanted— with her jacket because she knew she would never see the end of it if she acted that friendly with him. And second because, although she was his dongsaeng, Junhyung would never let her sleep on HIS couch because she could droll on it and forget about him covering her. Both were things she hadn’t experienced, so maybe she was a little mad at both of them —more at Junhyung than Hyunseung, though.

The next morning Junhyung told her that Hyunseung had been spending the afternoons at their apartment for a couple of days now —probably when there weren’t club activities— and that he was making Doojoon a favour.

She was actually happy to hear about it, but that was before Junhyung gave them a ride to school. First because it was for Hyunseung and he would never do it for her; and second, because she was ignored the whole ride.

Seriously! They talked, Hyunseung asked, Junhyung scolded, they fought and it was as if she wasn’t there at all. For a moment there she thought she saw her reflexion on the mirror disappearing.

She was really glad when they made it to school, but that was —again— before they started making their way to their classroom and then she knew her bad luck hadn’t ended yet.

Hyuna never really thought a day like this would come, but it had. She knew she had haters, but they usually ignored her.

This time though was different.

She wasn’t ignored; if most she was glared at. If eyes could burn she would be a mere mount of ashes on the hall. She knew haters talked behind her back, but she never thought they would actually bad mouth her while glaring at her.

And Hyunseung just pretended to not hear a thing —or so she thought.

It actually kind of pissed her off.

She would have liked him to say something, to defend her from them, but all he did was to keep step with her and look forward as if he didn’t care.

Maybe she was asking for too much, maybe she was expecting too much. And yeah, those people who were talking were actually saying too much for too little. Most of them whispered things about how close she was with Hyunseung in so short time.

Seriously! Why were they burning her alive if she had done nothing at all? There were a lot more people who were closer to Hyunseung and spent more time with him than her.

First, there was Jun Hyosung. Not only was she pretty, smart, great dancer and absolutely nice; she was also Hyunseung’s best friend. The only moment they weren’t together was probably when they needed to use the restroom or when they left to home; and even then, there were times when they would leave together. Why they don’t hate her was still a mystery to Hyuna.

Then there was Son Dongwoon. Smart, tall, handsome, an and with a lot of fangirls that hated her already, thanks. Although he doesn’t seem to be as close to Hyunseung as Hyosung was, he still spent a lot of time with Hyunseung. But then again, he also had a fanclub so they probably ignored that fact.

There was also Lee Kikwang. Yes, Kikwang, her partner in crime and best friend spent a lot of time with Jang Hyunseung.

It actually happened because of her when she accepted Hyunseung’s offer to sit at their table at lunch and she just dragged Kikwang with her. As soon as they started talking they found common things between each other and soon Hyuna was ignored. If that wasn’t enough, both were the best dancers at the club –after school club, of course— so they often worked together.

The thing was that Kikwang wasn’t exactly popular. His saturi had been the cause of a lot of teasing but it all seemed to stop as soon as he started hanging out with Hyunseung. And it kind of pissed her of. Not the part where the teasing stopped, but that it stopped when he started hanging out with Hyunseung, because, at the same times, her haters increased.

Finally, as if that wasn’t enough, the cherry on top of the ice-cream, the hidden part of the iceberg that had actually ruined her mood to being with: Yong Junhyung, her brother.

Hyosung and Dongwoon were fine because they were his childhood friends —or something like that. Kikwang was fine because he was his classmate and dancing partner. Even Hara would have been fine because she was his teacher and she was supposed to spend time with him being at class time or at counselling hours. But, Junhyung? What the hell did her brother have to do with Hyunseung??!! He was just his classmate’s —Hyuna’s— older brother. Nothing else! Why did they have to spend the afternoon together? Why would they eat/cook together? Why would they watch movies together? And why wouldn’t her brother tell her??!!!

Ha! If they knew the reason she had arrived together with Hyunseung was her brother, they would probably freak out.

Hyuna had been too absorbed into her not-so-nice-thoughts that she didn’t notice the time flying. It was just when the bell rang that she snap out of her thoughts just to realize that, one, lunch break had ended and, two; she had barely touched her food.

Great, now she would be moody the whole day. It always happened; her mood got always ruined for skipping a meal and sometimes for not having enough to eat —that’s why she couldn’t diet.

But then again, her mood was already ruined. It had been ruined since morning and it definitely wasn’t food’s fault. Hyunseung’s matter, people talking behind her back, Kikwang ignoring her; it all had served as fuel to get her mood worse and worse. However what bothered her most was Kikwang ignoring her.  

She actually didn’t know why. They had been just fine the day before. She hadn’t say anything weird, right? No, she always said weird things and discharged her anger on him but he had never ignored her. Not even when she —accidentally— hit him to the point his eye turned black.

Maybe he was getting tired of her. Maybe he was tired that it was always about her. They didn’t even have lunch together because she wanted to be alone. Was she being too much?

Maybe he had something bothering him and he wanted to tell her but she had been so immersed on herself to even notice it.

The bell sounded once more, this time to signal the end of last period.

One after another, her classmates started to leave the classroom and one of them was Kikwang. He didn’t even give her a glance. And she couldn’t even blame him. She was the one who ignored him first.

It didn’t matter how angry and frustrated she was, Kikwang had always been there for her. He was her best friend and yet she had been so mean to him. It’s true that she had been mad at him for achieving something she couldn’t, but, was it his fault? No, it wasn’t. She was the selfish, childish and unreasonable one.

But one thing was sure: she wouldn’t let it ruin her friendship with Kikwang.

Without caring about her belongings she threw everything inside her backpack and then hurried out of the classroom.

There were still many people in the corridors so it took her a bit to find Kikwang, but when she did it she sprinted out towards him. Within barely few meters of distance she jumped on Kikwang’s back clinging with tight grip.

“Yah! What are you doing?” Kikwang asked between anger and surprise “Get off!”

“Don’t want to”

It didn’t matter how much Kikwang tried to shake Hyuna off his back; she just wouldn’t let go. And she wouldn’t have done it if their English teacher hadn’t passed by and, scandalized, sent them to their homeroom teacher’s office for misbehaving in the hallway.

Why, why, WHY! Why did it have to happen to her?

She just wanted to apologise to her long term friend for being an to him.

It was almost as if God had decided that she couldn’t do anything right that day.

“Mianhe” she said softly as they waited for their teacher. It wasn’t the first time she had apologised, but she realized it was the first time he apologised to Kikwang and that made it all more uncomfortable.

“For making us get detention?” Kikwang said without looking at her and it angrier her. Ok, it had also been her fault, but she didn’t mean to.

“Well, yeah” she admitted to which Kikwang scoffed, but it wasn’t actually a mad scoff; it was more like a chuckle-scoff and it encouraged her to continue “and for ignore you, throw my anger at you and, well, for using you as punching bag”

“Isn’t that what you always do?” yeah, she always did it, but Kikwang hadn’t actually complained about it; so he was partly at fault for spoiling her.

“Yeah, that’s why I’m apologising” she was running out of patience and she didn’t have that much to being with.

“Why?”

 “Yah! I’m trying to break the ice here” She finally exploded. If he was trying to make her anger by playing fool, he was getting it.

“What ice?” he asked, clearly taken aback.

“The ice between us” Hyuna clarified with emphasis in her words, but Kikwang only looked at her with a confused expression.

“Is there ice?”

Confusion was written all over Kikwang’s face.

“Aren’t you mad at me?” And Kikwang’s confusion confused her.

“Me? Anio, why would I be?”

“Then, why have you been ignoring me?!”

“I have?”

“You’ve been ignoring me all day long”

He was ignoring her. He was definitely ignoring her. It wasn’t her imagination; she wasn’t making it all up on her own, right?

“Oh, that; I might have been spacing out recently; so… yeah, mianhe”

Hyuna wasn’t sure if she was apologetic or angry anymore.

“Spacing out” she repeated Kikwang’s words very slowly, trying to assimilate them. “Spacing out”

She scoffed. He had been freaking spacing out! And he IGNORED her —apparently— for no reason! She had been worrying, thinking over and over again —she didn’t need to actually— about what she might have done to make him upset. What for? He had been Spacing out!

Sensing the killing aura that came for Hyuna, Kikwang quickly apologised, only to receive a death glare from her.

Apology? Kikwang would need more than an apology to make her forgive him.

Luckily for him —for both, actually— the same teacher that had found them red-handed came back at that moment to inform them that, since their homeroom teacher was busy with club activities —which she found weird—, they were allowed to leave and that their punishment could wait until the next day.

For the first time since classes had started, Hyuna was glad Hara was their homeroom teacher and club guide.

The English teacher scolded them a bit before letting them go, but they didn’t care.

As soon as they were out of the sight of any teacher or witness, Hyuna pinched Kikwang’s right cheek scolding him for ignoring her. In return, he pinched her left cheek while apologising.

Soon, they both were laughing at the sight of each other drooling while their cheek was being pinched.

“So, why have you been spacing out?” Hyuna asked while rubbing her now reddened cheek.

“Oh… well, nothing… just, you know, some worries” He stammered as blush equalled the redness of his cheeks. 

“And, what kind of worries?” It was weird to see Kikwang stammering like that. He was good actor so of course he could lie, but to stammer like that he must be hiding something juicy and Hyuna had to know.

“Nothing really”

He wasn’t going to tell her —not there, at least— but she had the rest of the day to make him spill the beans. In order to achieve her goal Hyuna suggested for them to go to Kikwang’s place to try all the games that had just recently arrived; it would be easier and more comfortable there.

Unfortunately Kikwang couldn’t. Since there was a dance competition coming soon, Hara had asked the best dancers —meaning Kikwang, Hyunseung and, of course, Hyosung— to stay after classes although there weren’t club activities that day.

Since he was already late, he couldn’t accompany her to the bus stop. He apologised once more for both, the misunderstanding and that they couldn’t hang out, and then went to the dance club while Hyuna walked out of the school.

It was past 5 and everyone had already left; except of course the students who had club activities that day, but even then the school felt so big without the students.

Shrugging her shoulders, she put on the earphones and started walking.

Absorbed into the music, Hyuna didn’t realize a black car approaching her, until it honked loudly at her side just when she was about to cross the street. Although she was wearing earphones, she never actually listened with loud volume, so she was startled but it. As result, she jumped to the side, tripping on air and consequently falling on the brushes.

“Gwenchanayo?” a gentle voice that she knew for being harsh, asked as the person on the back sit got off.

“Ne, ne”

Since when was he so nice; Hyuna thought bitterly as she removed some leaves from her hair and dusted off her clothes.

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure, thanks” she said and then started walking before Dongwoon was able to say anything else.

She had barely made it to the end of the block when she noticed the boy walking beside her.

“Why are you following me?” she asked dumbfounded and a bit startled.

“Eh, no, I, well, do you want me to give you a ride?” He stammered with a cute confused expression. And it made Hyuna realize how much she liked that expression on people; of course, when it was cute.

“Erm, no thanks. I want to walk”

However, no matter how cute it was, he was still someone she had barely talked to.

Besides, it wasn’t a lie. She really wanted to walk and it was because, after seeing some people from the baseball club, she remembered it had been way too long since the last time she had made some kind of exercise.

“It’s getting late”

It wasn’t actually late, but Dongwoon said it so seriously that Hyuna started to think it was a good idea to get a ride home. But then she remembered who she was talking with: Son Dongwoon, the boy whose fans had hated her since first day when he defended her —she didn’t remember that, but that’s what they say— after she accidentally threw her lunch all over him. No, if they ever knew about him giving her a ride, she would never see the end of it. Seriously!

“It’s not that late” Anyway, she didn’t feel comfortable enough to accept the offer.

“Let me rephrase my words” He tried again, this time with a more concerned voice “It’s getting late, for a girl”

However, Hyuna didn’t like how that sounded. So what? Because she was a girl she couldn’t walk on her own? If he thought she was a frail girl he couldn’t be more wrong.

“I’m used to the road” Hyuna lied quickly, not wanting to sound rude “Besides, I don’t live far from here” and added, hopping that it would make him desist.

“Oh, that’s good”

Hyuna thought that, since he had acknowledge —not that she needed him to— her being capable enough to walk on her own, he would go back to his car and leave her alone.

But he didn’t.

As she continued walking, Dongwoon kept walking beside her.

“Erm, what are you still following me?” she asked, without stopping walking. It was actually getting dark and it was the first time she was walking back, so or course she wanted to hurry.

“Well, since you live nearby, I might as well walk you home”

“And why would you do that?”

“You might find it weird, but I’ve been taught to never let a lady walk alone”

Lady. The term made Hyuna blink, dumbfounded and scoffed in disbelieve. It was actually the first time someone had called her that and it made her flustered, but it also pissed her off.

“More than weird it sounds like Casanova” she shared her thoughts.

“Gentleman, I would say” he said defensively. He obviously felt Hyuna verbally attacking him.

“So you think you are a gentleman?” The kid was so full of himself.

“I try to” He definitely was.

“Well, Mr. Gentleman, I’m sorry to tell you that this very much capable lady doesn’t need someone to protect her. She can do it on her own”

Anyone would have tried to get a deeper explanation of the source of her confidence. However, Dongwoon wasn’t anyone.

“You don’t like the word, do you?” Perhaps it was the way she had said it and she actually didn’t realize doing it, but Dongwoon seemed to catch something implied in her words and she knew what it was.

“I think it sounds weakening” she admitted. It actually shocked her a little tiny bit that he got it that fast; yet she wasn’t surprised he did it since she wasn’t trying to hide it anyway.

“I think it sounds classy” he defended.

“What’s classy about a word?” she stopped in her steps and asked while looking at him with pissed expression and slight glare.

“What isn’t classy about it?” he also stopped and returned the question with calm face and yet strong gaze

They kept looking at each other’s eyes for few seconds and Hyuna thought that, if it was an anime there would be some kind of lasers coming out from each other’s eyes and crashing in the middle.

Letting out a heavy sigh, she broke eye contact and then turned to the front to continue walking without saying a word. From the corner of her eye, she could see Dongwoon doing the same. 

“You’re weird” She said without looking at him.

“Well, you’re walking home with this weird guy”

That was true. She had barely noticed it, but they had already walked quite a distance.

“And your driver is following us” she nodded her head in the direction of the car behind them.

Dongwoon probably thought Hyuna hadn’t notice it, but she did.

The black car had been following them from a moderate distance since the very beginning. Dongwoon had probably told him to do it thinking that sooner or later Hyuna would accept his offer.

Sooner turned into later, and later turned into never as they kept walking —and what no, talking— and before they knew it, they were already at the entrance of the apartment complex.

It was dark already and when she checked her phone to see the time, she found it turned off. It had probably run out of battery since she hadn’t recharged it for at least three days.

Noticing it, Dongwoon checked his watch and told her it was already 6 pm.

It was true that the apartment wasn’t exactly near the school —she had to take the bus for a reason—, but it wasn’t that far either so she was surprised to know it was that late. However, what surprised her more was that she didn’t notice the time flying by. It was probably because they had talked the whole way; and although they had talked the whole way, they weren’t actually close so Hyuna was wondering how to send him off. 

Luckily for her, she didn’t have to. As soon as she greeted the security guard —it was a residential complex, so yeah, there was a security guard— Dongwoon’s driver approached them and told Dongwoon they had to pick ‘Miss Hyosung’.

Hyuna thought it was funny the way he spoke, so dramatic, so novelistic.

He said a quick goodbye and after watching them depart, Hyuna her heals and headed to the apartment. On the, she noticed how much hotter the weather was than a month ago.

It wasn’t actually that hot, but it wasn’t that fresh either. Perhaps it was because she was climbing the stairs —apparently, the elevator was under maintenance—, but it was also because summer was almost there. And with that her birthday.

What should she do for her birthday? Maybe a trip to the beach or a camp; she didn’t know, but she would for sure take Kikwang with her. And since he was in such good terms with her brother, she could invite Hyunseung too.

She knew her parents would give her a certain amount of money, but it wouldn’t be enough so Junhyung would have to pay the difference. And while we’re at it, he should pay just for everything. That way she could save the money for future dates planes.

Ah~ it would be so nice if everything went as she planned, but she knew better than to have high expectations. Nothing ever went as she wanted it to. He luck was so bad that she could definitely not count on it and although she usually made plans, they always got ruined.

She was really unlucky, and this day had proved her that once again.

But then again, this day hadn’t been that bad. Although not as planned, not everything had gone bad. Kikwang wasn’t mad at her; they didn’t receive detention for “misbehavior”; she didn’t walk home alone and she didn’t have to knock endlessly on the door because Junhyung hadn’t changed the code.

If things kept going like this, maybe she still could have some hope for June. Yeah, maybe. 

__________________________

I'm back! Waaa!! *dodges rotten tomatoes* 

Ok, Mianhe!! *makes a deep bows* I have no excuses for this laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate udpate. I'll just say I've been too into Running Man and few other dramas. x_x

I'm at fault, I know and I'mr eally sorry ><

Well, I've finished this chapter like erm a week ago, but I was lazy to pass it to word and then update it u.u

Anyway, Here is a new chapter! :D

yeah, it's Hyuna centered, but I really hope you guys to catch on the little spoilers I send whenever I write a Hyuna-chapter. 

Anywya, next chapter will be Dooseob tantaaaa~n 

Hugs for everybody  \(° u °)/ 

Thanks for still following this bad writer T_T 

by the way, here it's my tumblr acount natsukinon,  if you like you can follow me :)... but if you don't, you... well, just... ok, I'll stop now.