Forced Transfer

Perfectly Imperfect

“Mom! Mom! Where are you?” I shouted for her name crazily when I first stepped into the house. I’ve gotten very exciting and good news for her to hear. No, it’s not about school, okay it’s quite attached to the school stuff but this thing well, will made her shocked like hell. Oh God, I couldn’t wait to see her speechless expression. I smiled upon imagining her beautiful smile.

 

“I’m here” Her faint reply greeted my ears and I quickly made my way to the dining room. When I entered, I could saw her figure sitting calmly, turning pages after pages of a magazine with a hot chocolate on its side. Mom is surely a charismatic person ever that I’ve ever met. I freaking swear!

 

Mom aka Michelle Jung, a founder of this famous—well known model agency called Chelle’s models. I like to follow mom to her workplace because it has lots of pretty woman, and yes of course, not to forget, muscular, y with abs guys. Can picture it? Mom, herself is a role model for me. With her alluring beautiful figure, and Asian pan face, she is a woman with this vibe. I don’t know how to describe this but what I know I want her to keep smiling because of me. Only because it is me. Rachel Jung, her only daughter.

 

My name is Rachel, a full Korean but lives in States. I don’t know if I’m really stayed here since I was a child. But I actually woke up from my long, happy sleep in a hospital with a blank mind. Well, not so blank. I actually did remember my mom and what I’d learned before I got into my ‘sleep’. That’s it, I just remembered that. At least, I did recall something from the past, right? It’s better than having not to know who’s your real mother, right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mom, how long have I been sleeping” I asked her when she released me from the loving hug that she gave me. I remember she was really happy and grateful that I’d woken up. I didn’t know why I didn’t freak out when I tried to remember, but nothing came out. Instead, I felt this gush wave of relieve. I’m such a weirdo. I saw her eyes red from the crying.

 

“Ermm one year?”

 

“Wow, that’s long. Must be so many funs that I’d missed, right?” I chuckled. She then forced a chuckle too.

 

“So what happens to me that I’ve gotten into comma for one long year? Must be something bad, huh?” I didn’t know why but my head felt heavy when I tried to remember. What really did happen? But, I ignored the pain and showed to mom that I’m okay. That she had nothing to worry about.

 

“Well, actually you drowned. On your birthday, that unfortunate thing happened. Someone saved you but seemed like you’ve been drifted into a coma. Then, you’d been hospitalised in Korea. Bla bla bla, things happen. The doctors there, they’re not good enough. So I brought you here. Where you can get a better treatment and with a better surrounding. I guess, it succeed. You’ve woken up, little princess” she tucked a hair behind my ear and ruffled my hair lovingly.

 

“So today is my birthday. Miracles do happen on a certain date I guess”

 

“Yes, it does, honey”

 

 

“Mom, what’s my name again? Jung what?”

 

‘’Jung Ra Ae but here people know you as Rachel” I slightly nodded. “So, where’s dad?” This question made her shifted a little. It made her uneasy. Why? Is something wrong? I mentally said.

 

Next, she told me my real father and she had separated when I was 11. Okay… That was quite a shock….  I drowned when I was 12. In the meantime when I was hibernating, mom remarried. She said that my-now-father is a great man. Indeed, he is. He’s the one who helped mom going through business. After all, he is the biggest shareholder of Wales Inc. God must love me so much for giving me a perfect, harmony family. Although I lost my memories, I tend to let it be. I choose to let it just gone. And I just hoped it gone forever and never came back.

 

Because why would you recall something from the past when you know they’re bad, painful memories. I once read a fact, mind sometimes block memory because the owner wants to forget it. I’m not that naïve, there must be lots of thing happen in the past that I constantly want to forget. That I wanted to take a rest from all those chaos. Well, I’ve gotten my rest, so why should I tire myself all over again just to remember some ty things. Let’s start anew and let bygones always be bygones.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, mom! You’re not going to believe this. Well, I don’t to but I tried my best to believe this” I fanned myself. Feeling too fabulous right now. Heh.

 

“What is it?”

 

“The test, I passed it. I’m the first one from all the applicants! The first one, mom! Can you believe it?! Oh God, Cambridge University Junior Intake, the most rare chances. A 0.1% of chance to get in and I’m the first one that they choose. I must be the next-Einstein or something. I damn passed it! Ooohh there must be lots of things to do. I need to accept the offer first and then regist—"

 

“I’ve rejected it”

 

“And then register. Then packing some things—wait—what did you just say?”  I must hear her wrongly. Yeah, I must be.

 

“I said, I’d known about that way too long from you and I’ve made my decision, you’re not going” I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t believe a person who I adored so much. That I tried to excel everything just for her had actually rejected this one in a million offer?

 

“Are you expecting me to be in here forever, mom? The place is not for me, you acknowledge it, right?”

 

“Yes, I’ve acknowledge it and that’s why I want you to go back Korea. That’s your place”

 

“Korea? Out of places in this whole world, you say Korea is my place? Why mom, why? So… all of the language and culture studies is just a preparation, huh? All of that?” She stayed silent. Then, something important, really important came across my mind.

“Mom, did he…..did he know?’’ My voice croaked. Tears were at the bay, threatening to stream down any minutes.

 

“Answer me, did he know?!” She looked at me with sorry eyes. Her eyes glimmered. I knew there’s a reason for me going back to Korea.  She wanted me to remember the real me—the long lost Ra Ae. The girl who never once existed in my dictionary. I am Rachel and that’s it. Period

 

“He does”

 

I just couldn’t stand any longer and I found myself running away from my house. I couldn’t hold my tears anymore and I let it flow down freely. Next, I felt myself bumped onto someone’s broad chest. My hurts.  The boy offered his hand and I took it. I dusted off my pants and I saw a very familiar school uniform standing in front of me. EWIC’s uniform. Oh, . Wrong time, wrong place, wrong everything. What if ridiculous news about me crying spread?

 

“What’s the EWIC’s pride doing running around without a direction with a swollen eyes, huh?’’

 

“Ahh, urmm hey.. new student, isn’t it?” I forced myself to talk. My voice hoarse. Standing in front of me is the new student in EWIC, from Korea which just happen to be a famous actor there. He’s here to take a rest from his career and continue his study. I’ve never talk to him but I do know he’s the new student. But I don’t know his name because  I don’t think I’m his fan nor he’s acquainted to me in any way. Yes, he doesn’t.

.

.

.

.

.

.

“It’s Kang Jun. Seo Kang Jun. Nice to meet you too by the way, EWIC’s pride, Rachel”