chanhun

Brevity

It’s the eighth summer in a row that Chanyeol and Sehun have gone to the same summer camp. Neither of them mind because summers are the only time they ever get to meet up, since they live in different parts of the country and neither of them drive. Chanyeol enjoys summer camp a little more than Sehun; Sehun thinks they’re getting too old for summer camp, but he goes anyway.

Before, Chanyeol would always win at one-on-one basketball, but now that Sehun has gone through one hell of a growth spurt, he actually holds up as harder competition. Sehun was always better at tennis than Chanyeol, something having to do with being able to not flail his arms around like a madman. 

Sehun was better at flying kites than Chanyeol. He was able to pick up more wind. Chanyeol, on the other hand, had speed going against him. The kite seemed to look as if it was being dragged around in the air. Sehun liked to make fun of Chanyeol because his face looked wrinkly when he ran, but the night did better for Chanyeol’s appeal.

Sehun thought Chanyeol looked his best when he’d be able to light a fire. Sehun has convinced himself that he’s an air bender, and Chanyeol is a fire bender.

Sehun liked the nights better than the days. He enjoyed singing lame campfire songs with Chanyeol playing his guitar in the background. He like roasting sweet potatoes, and making s’mores. Chanyeol like sweet potatoes more than s’mores. Sehun ate more s’mores because it’d always end up all over his face, and Chanyeol would help him clean it up. 

When they were younger, Chanyeol would roughly wipe with a dry face cloth. It became a little less rough, as years passed, but his year it was different. This year it was wet and soft.

When Sehun opened his eyes, he realized that Chanyeol had it off. If it wasn’t so dark and the fire wasn’t there to cast its glow, his blushed cheeks would have given it away. Chanyeol was looking down at the neck of his guitar, “Sorry. I’ve been waiting all year to do that, and I just-“

Sehun cut him off and smiled, “It’s okay, Yeol. I actually kind of liked it…”

Sehun was right. They were getting too old for summer camp, but he didn’t care. He’d go to summer camp every summer and become a counselor if it meant that Chanyeol would be there to wipe his face at every campfire, even if it was in an unconventional way.