Journey

Lucky

 

ANN's POV

 

"Flight PR544 bound for Taipei now boarding in Gate 3", the announcer called.

"Honey, Let's get going. That's our plane." Mom said as she tapped my shoulder. Despite my earphones, I could hear her voice perfectly well. I turned my iPod off and got my ticket ready.

I checked my seat number, 6B. Mom was 6A, right beside me, getting the chair next to the window.

As we lined up and were just next to board the plane, Mom suddenly remembered she was missing one of her bags, "Omo! One of my bags is missing. Wait for me on the plane, Ann, I'll get it back." She explained.

I could only chuckle at my Mom's character, she was not normally forgetful, but she had her days. She excused herself from the line and went back to the lounge we were a few moments back.

 

As I searched for our seats, counting row by row, a guy was seated in my seat.

 

He was focused on reading a book. 

"Uh, excuse me? That's my seat?" I said shyly, trying my best to keep a smile.

"Pardon?", he said.

I showed him my ticket and he showed his -- 6B. We had the same seat number. What should we do? Didn't people in the counter check this? 

"Excuse me, Miss." he called out the attendant, he had a deep voice, and he looked like a perfect father figure. He looked like he had Taiwanese blood, and looked like a rich businessman, too.

 

"What seems to be the problem, sir?" The flight attendant cutely asked, trying to flirt with the older man.

"Our seat numbers are the same. What should be done?" He said seriously, his tone not fading.

 

The flight attendant then checked both of our tickets and asked for forgiveness, apparently miscalculations happened in their computer systems thus the same seat numbers. She had asked us if who from the both of us wanted to upgrade seats, turning one of our tickets to the business class.

 

"Do you want to?" He immediately asked me, him offering the seat made me think that he was a good guy.

"No, I think you should go. Because i'm with my mom anyway and we need to sit together." I replied, offering him the upgraded seat.

He understood my situation and eventually agreed that he was the one to switch. He said thank you and I did too, he was a stranger but it's as if I've known him for a while, maybe because he reminds me of someone.

 

"Follow me, sir. So that we can proceed with the flight.", The attendant said and sent him to the seat.

 

I smiled as I watched him walk, he was reluctant at first, still stealing glances at my seat, trying to ask me if I was sure about my offer, I smiled at him giving him a thumbs up and he proceeded with his seat.

 

Two minutes after that incident, Mom finally came. I can hear her breathing, and judging it, only means she had run a mile. It was as if she searched the whole airport for her missing bag. 

"Did you find it?" I asked curiously.

"Yes..." She said while catching her breath. 

"Was I that long?" she continued.

"Not quite. Good thing you didn't see-" I stopped. 

 

"See what?"

I didn't want her to know about the situation a while ago, because it wasn't a big deal anyway

But if she knew she will go ballistic on me for not taking the upgraded seat.

 

"Please turn off your gadgets, especially your phones because they may interfere with the plane's controls." The cabin crew said, interrupting our conversation.

I took my phone from my pocket, only to realize then that James had sent me a message. Aww. I typed back and sent the message before finally turning my phone off. 

 

Hey James! Of course I'm not mad, just kind of sad that I didn't even get to say bye. :( So bye!! Haha. Our flight is leaving now. So just talk to you later, okay?

 

 

"The flight's duration is two hours. Please keep your seatbelts fasten at all times. Thank you and Enjoy." The Flight attendant called to the microphone, and we took off.

 

~~~~~

 

JAMES' POV

 

*beep beep* My phone lit up, thinking it was dad, I opened the message.

But it wasn't Dad. It was Ann. Her message made me smile; relieved that Ann wasn't mad at me. Then a realization hit me, everything was true, she was really leaving, and she was going to Taiwan.

 

My phone suddenly rang, and now, it was Dad. He's probably calling because I’m running late for dinner, I told him I'm coming home early but it slipped my mind because of my thoughts of losing my best friend.

 

"I'm on my way home. Sorry, dad, I had some thi--" I tried explaining but he cut me off.

"Is it even possible that my boy is late for his own party?" He chuckled from the other line

Party? . I forgot.

"Ok ok ok. I'm on my way dad. Sorry." I said swiftly and ended the call.

I immediately rode my car and rushed home.

 

~~~~~

 

James actually forgot his own party because other things were bothering him. 

As he arrived home, his friends were all there -- the majority of the school was there. They had drinks, music, games, talks, and friends -- normal teenage parties. 

 

He greeted everyone that passes, and told them to have fun. The crowd greeted him and congratulated him for a job well done from the past game. He thanked them sincerely and proceeded to the living room, the center of the party.

 

At the living room, Ericka, Fretzie, together with Sam were talking about random things, but they suddenly changed topic to how much Ann was missing the party. She was usually the life of the group, and having her away the life out of them.

James arrived looking restless, stressed and haggard. He dropped himself to the couch, beside his friends.

His friends eyed him, "What's wrong with you, dude?" Sam asked.

"Nothing, just some things bothering me." James honestly said.

 

"Here, take a beer, and drink it up. It's your party, so you can't be upset!" Bret offered. James accepted the bottle and drank a portion. Although they were 16, being in their youth and their upbringing, they were allowed to drink, but only on parties sponsored by their parents.

 

"It should've been more fun if Ann was here." Sam blurted.

Fretzie agreed, "I know! And all her favorite food are here, all prepared my James' mom." She sighed; she was already missing her best friend.

James nodded silently, popping a nacho to his mouth.

 

Pierro then walked towards the group.

"Hey James!" He greeted, the high-fived the others. He was there to ask about the favor he had previously mentioned in the changing room.

 

"James, where's Ann? I've been looking for her all night!" Pierro said with a wide smile.

"She's not coming." James said blankly.

 

"You're looking for Ann?" Fretzie asked curiously.

"Yeah. There was something I want to ask her." Pierro answered, scratching his neck in embarrassment, he had no guts to tell anyone else about his secret just yet.

 

Pierro first met Ann at their Basketball competition two years ago. He thought she was just a regular fan. Until he noticed that she was always present in their games. He then realized how pretty she was and she had eyes that are pure. Her hair was neatly tied, showing how beautiful her face was. And her smile -- a smile that could make him melt. But what attracted him the most was her heart and how it showed. She had a big heart and it was clearly seen when she would always cheer for the team; for James in particular, and he envied him a lot of that.

Pierro wanted to get to know Ann ever since that fateful day. 

That crush turned into his inspiration -- Inspiration to do better in school, to do well in games and to do well in life.

 

Pierro was woken from his trance by James' retort. 

"But I guess you won't be seeing her soon." James said seriously.

"Why is that?" Pierro asked, confused.

 

"Ann, she went to Taiwan." Fretzie explained.

"Oh, so I'll wait for her, when is she coming back?" Pierro asked.

 

"That's the thing.." James looked at him, his eyes drooping down.

".. She's never coming back."

 

~~~~~

 

PIERRO's POV

 

I don't know what else to do. This was the best time to know Ann, because James would be helping me get close to her. But she is in Taiwan?

Will I be able to see her soon?

 

I went home as soon as I heard she wasn't at the party, heck, she wasn't even in the country. My parents were perplexed that I was home early on a weekend when I usually arrive at the wee hours of the morning.

 

"What are you doing here, son?", My dad joked.

"I'm not in the mood, dad. The girl who I was supposed to confess to.." I started.

"... she went to Taiwan just today. It's so ironic." I continued.

 

"She ran away?" My dad chuckled, at least someone could laugh about this matter.

 

"Not funny, dad. But that's what it looks like." I faked a laugh.

 

"Son, things happen for a reason. There will still be other ways to win her heart." My dad said, patting my back. He knew my dilemma.

"I hope." I said and went on to my room.

 

I searched her name on Facebook, and added her immediately; maybe this is the only way I could talk to her now.

 

Minutes after, I got a notification saying she approved it. 

 

"YAY Pieeeerrrroo!!" she sent me a message on the chat box. I smiled at how she was acting.

Pierro: Hey Ann

Ann: You're not at James' party? I heard he threw one today.

Pierro: No, I'm too sad to go..

 

I could imagine his brows furrow as she read my last message.

Why? She typed.

"Because you're not there." I replied. 

She replied with a simple 'hahahaha', probably thinking I was flirting around with her. But it was true, without her there; the party had no purpose for me.

 

 

When will I be able to be close to her? 

 

Ann:

Hey

Hey

Hey

 

She flooded my chatbox because I wasn't replying. 

Pierro: Why didn't you tell me you were going away?

 

I took courage asking, we weren't close, but it hurt that I didn't get to confess before she left.

 

Ann: Do I need to? Do you even know me?

 

It stung, knowing I wasn't anyone for her.

 

Pierro: Of course. You're like my best seatmate. 

Ann: Haha. Okay then, I'm sorry that didn't tell you. I didn't even tell James, so it wasn't a big deal.

Pierro: I'll miss my sleepyhead seatmate.

 

I honestly said, I'll miss how she could brighten my day with her smile. I'll miss her laugh and her doodles by the table. I'll miss her little snores whenever she would tell me to watch her sleep in case the teacher sees. I'll miss her.

Ann: Aww. I'll miss you too. 

Pierro: Hang out with me when you go back.

Ann: But I'm not coming back, right? Didn't anyone tell you that?

 

Of course they told me that, but I didn't want to believe it.

 

Pierro: Well then, tour me when I go there? Or meet me when you visit here?

 

I tried negotiating.

 

Ann: Deal!

 

 

We talked a while more then, honestly, this is much better compared to the party.

Getting closer to Ann and knowing how she is, even though we're just chatting, though we're miles away.

 

I asked her about her plans, where she will be studying and how will she interact with the Taiwanese, knowing she doesn't speak their language.

Then she asked me how the game went and how do I keep my grades up while being in the team, such random things about anything.

 

It was nearing 2 in the morning, but I didn't feel sleepy at all. Cheesy as it may sound, it was because I was chatting with her, it made me forget my tiredness.

 

Pierro: You're sleepy. You better rest now. 

Ann: But..

Pierro: But, you had a long day. I don't want you getting tired.

Ann: Why? :(

Pierro: Just because. No questions.

Ann: Ok, fine. I'm tired from the flight anyway. Good Night Pierro. Chat with you tomorrow, okay? :)

P: Yea. I will be waiting, sleepyhead. Good night. Dream of me, okay?

 

She laughed at my cockiness, she may think my words are greasy, but all of them are true. And it was also true that I didn't want her getting tired.

 

Because I care for you. Because I like you. And because if I keep you here any longer, I might confess my feelings.