There was You

Lucky

James' POV

 

It has been two weeks since Ann had gone to Taiwan. I haven't talked to her since the last text message. I didn't intentionally avoid her; it's just that... because Pierro wanted to get close to her, so I wanted to give way for him, and I’m trying my best to avoid the misunderstanding that we're a couple.

 

"James, can I ask a favor from you?" Pierro texted.

"What is it, Dude?" My heart beat rapidly

 

A message entered through me phone after a vibration, "Can you try to avoid Ann, first? So that her attention will be drawn to me instead?"

 

I huffed, why do I have to avoid Ann for Pierro’s sake? But sadly, I already agreed that I would be helping Pierro get Ann. But.. Why did he have.. But now..I'm utterly hesitant to helping Pierro all of a sudden.

"Ok." I answered without thinking, just so the conversation would end.

 

Pierro asked me that two weeks ago. He texted me about one in the morning, when we were having the party and at that moment, my mind was flying and I was a little intoxicated. Now I had to take it seriously. But honestly, it's really hard.

 

I think Pierro really likes Ann, but I'm still not sure what intentions he may have. I never really saw Ann date anyone before, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be ready, ever. I have this overprotective feeling being her best friend. And I wasn't sure if how Ann will react when she finds out, and how her relationship with him will be. 

 

But for some reason, my heart ached, and I had no idea why. Or maybe, I just didn't want to admit why.

~~~

 

It was a Sunday morning, and James just finished attending a mass with his family. They proceeded to eat lunch at a cafe. While waiting for their food, his phone rang. It was an unknown number, and the countrycode was different, as well. James hesitated at first but still answered it.

 

"Hello?" He hesitantly said.

"Hey JAMES!!! I MISS YOU!" Ann shouted at the other line, barely containing her excitement.

 

"Ann?" The guy asked, just to make sure.

"YESSSS! Why haven't you been answering my texts, messages, and calls?"

 

James doesn't know what to answer, he couldn't tell her that he was avoiding her on purpose.

"I was busy with school stuffs.." James lied.

"Oh.. But I have a lot of stories to tell you! Like for example, about school and skating, about my dad, and about Pierro." 

 

James' heart ached a little more, when she said his name. Pierro. It had become something taboo, although she doesn't realize. 

Ann then started narrating her story, "School has been great and you know my dad, right? or not? Yea, you know him! He's in Tai--" Ann was suddenly cut by James.

 

"What about Pierro?", James questioned, as if that's the only thing he was concerned with.

"Uhm.. we're really getting close. I think.. uhrm, well.. How could I say this?" The hesitance in Ann's voice was different, she had never acted so shy before -- especially towards James. "I'm not sure, okay, but I don't want to assume as well, but.. I think.. he likes me, but i'm not sure. Can you.. maybe, ask? Because you're close right, with Pierro?", Ann asked as a favor.

 

James sighed, he had a premonition about this, "If that's what you want, I'll ask him. You called me just to tell me about Pierro?", He asked, not remembering the cut-off conversation a minute ago.

"Of course not! It's because I really miss you, too." A smile creeps at James' lips. 

"But I have to go now, Pops is calling me." Ann said, the sudden smile from James eventually turning to a grimace.

"Oh.. okay. Talk to you soon?" James asked, hopefully.

"Most definitely. Bye James! I love you!" Ann said and ended the call promptly, without waiting for him to say bye, too.

 

His heart beat rapidly, there was something different, it was sure, was it because he had miss Ann too much? Was it because he had wanted to talk to his best friend that bad? Was it because she had said I love y--- No, James. It's typically normal. And Ann says that to you all the time. She always says that she loves him; those three words repeatedly said by the girl. But those same words that he heard at that moment, selfish, but he hoped that it meant something more.

~~~

 

James POV

 

She wants me to talk to him. Of all people, it has to be me. You may think I'm bitter about this, (but I'm not!), but doesn't she already know that Pierro really likes her? What is the use of a confirmation from me? And honestly speaking, I don't want to be the bridge in between them. Why? I don't know but I just don't-- Ugh--  I can't. Why? I just can't! But because it's Ann, we're talking about, I couldn't bend on my word on her.

 

"Dude, meet me at the H Cafe near school later at 7 sharp. " I send him the message, as I bound for the place.

 

Nearing 7 in the evening, I arrive at the shop. The server immediately greets me, calling my name; the servers are kind, and we hold conversations with them once in a while, whenever Ann and I hang out in the place (mostly it's Ann who does the talking).

"Hi there." I nod my head, noticing her.

"You're not with Ann today?" She asked, batting her eyes (excessively). 

 

I shook my head this time, and smiled at her, "No. I'm just meeting a friend."

"It's not a girl, is it?" She teasingly asked.

I smirked, laughing, "No no; couldn't be."

She had smiled at me this time, "Because you know, I still hope you guys get together someday!" The server suddenly said and then followed with a wide teasing grin.

"As a couple?" I smiled back, a brow raising at her sudden suggestion.

"Yes!" She giggled, "Since we always see both of you here in the cafe, sometimes it's just the two of you, sometimes with your friends -- but we couldn't help admire how when you're together, it's as if everything around you blurs around. We honestly thought you were a couple before, but we were proven otherwise; but we always thought that you'd be a great couple." She said shyly.

 

It wasn't the first time I heard that. Heard that Ann and I look good together. We were friends since forever, so you could just probably imagine how it works with the both of us -- from Aunts and uncles, to home tutors, librarians and now, cafe servers. But I never had the actual thought in my head, Ann? She is a sister to me; being by her side is more than enough for me, I guess. 

 

 

Pierro came after a few minutes, sitting right in front of me.

"What's up?"

"Hi Pierro, do you want some coffee?" I ask.

"No thanks, what did you want to talk about?" He immediately asks, straight to point.

I clear my throat, well, "Uhm.. It's about Ann."

 

He is taken aback, moving closer to me, "What about her?"


"I talked to her on the phone lately.." I started, Pierro nodded.

"And you do know Ann is my best friend; but there was something about you that she's curious about. Do you like Ann?" I continued.

 

He chuckled. "Isn't it obvious?"

My breath hitched, "So, what are you planning to do about it?" I ask, now my guards are up.

"I will tell her soon." He smiled proudly.

"You're confessing?" I re-ask.

"Yes."

 

There was a long pause. 

 

 

"You'll take care of her, right?" I murmured.

"Of course, trust me, James. I won't hurt her. I know she is your best friend, and if things go my way, I'd help you protect her too, James. I don't want to hurt Ann, too, if that is what you're worried about." He says, hopefully taking this conversation seriously, because I surely was. If he breaks her heart, I wouldn't have a second thought and break him to pieces.

 

"You should know that if you'll make her cry, you will regret everything." I taunted.

"I love her, I promise I won't make her cry." he offered his hand, signalling a deal, grabbing his hand, I shook it, and we concluded the night; I wasn't giving Ann away to him, was I?

 

After we separated and went home, I was supposed to message Pierro, again, "Don't make her expect too much. Dont make her--" 

But I decided to delete the message, I felt overprotective; I felt like the older brother giving my baby sister for prom; I felt like I was walking her in the aisle. I felt like how a best friend would feel, concerned? Yea, Concerned. Nothing else. I'm not jealous, if it that's what you think. I was just concerned for Ann, because she's my closest friend. And I want her to be happy, right? 

 

"James, you've got to make up your mind." I continued, I think I'm going crazy, I was now talking to myself.

 

Time passed by and it was about 10 in the evening when I decided to go to our attic. It was my secret getaway at times when I feel too clogged up. It was my silent escape. The attic was where we keep our old stuffs that can no longer fit in our rooms. I immediately searched for a big black box, my own black box -- it was a bit dusty, but still works; it keeps my old middle school books and school works, grabbing my English notebook, I open a page randomly. There were scribbles, at another page, it was a picture of me and my family, and at another, it was a poem I had written for class.

 

My Best Friend

 

We've been friends since we were kids

She was there in my saddest moments and happy times

She makes me smile when we're together

I hope we'll be friends forever.

 

When I'm alone, she will be with me

I'll protect her from anyone who'll bully

She's my best friend, even though I am a guy

She is Ann, my angel sent from the sky

 

 

I smiled, reminiscing the moment. Who knew I was greasy back then, too? The teacher wanted us to write a poem about a person that we really care about, and I wanted to surprise Ann with my poem. I was having a hard time putting rhymes in my poem, so I asked my mom to help me. When I submitted my poem, the teacher read it in the whole class, because she said it was very sweet, and it made me blush when she did. The other kids got jealous, they had never gotten  a poem written about them before. But in Grade 5, what did I know? All I knew was I was thankful for having a best friend like her.

 

 

Narrator's POV

 

James was not usually this emotional. Normally, he just stores every school work in the attic, and eventually forgets about them. Probably it has been years since he last opened that notebook. But today, out of the blue, his heart kept calling him to go to the attic and reminisce.

 

~~~~~

 

Time passed quickly, and without them realizing, it was Christmas Eve, 24th of December. Everyone was busy with their own family traditions. James was with his family, they went to the Church, ate dinner and celebrated Christmas with games and carolling. Pierro went back to his hometown, to celebrate Christmas with their relatives. They lived in the province, so they travelled two hours homebound. Fretzie was with Ericka, both their families celebrated together with a party. Their families were friends with each other so they'd hang out easily.

 

And Ann, it was the first time she felt the real value of Christmas. She was with her mom and dad, and they were all happy at home. They had dinner her mom had prepared special, and they watched old videos of them. 

 

"Nothing would beat this moment'", She had thought. 

"Thank you Mom and Dad", She said to both before she went to sleep.

 

 

After the holidays, everything went back to normal. Classes will start soon and work was back to normal.

It was the third of January when Ann had messaged James, Fretzie, Ericka, and Pierro in Facebook.

 

"HEY GUYS! I have a surprise.." She adds a few dots for suspense, "I'm going home on February! BUT chill, I'm only visiting. VISIT. Because I still need to go back to Taiwan, but still! Oh my gosh I'm super excited. I hope we can hang out!" She suddenly drops the bomb.

 

Ericka replied with "Really? WOW! What day? Can we fetch you then? ;)"

 

Fretzie, James, and Pierro were all happy and all they could say were "Yehey." or "Wow." and there was Pierro's "Awesome."

Their chat continued, but Ann doesn't have exact dates yet to whether when she will be arriving and how many weeks will she be staying.

 

"All I know right now is that dad is going home on February because he has a convention to go to and I asked him if I could come and he said YES!"

 

Everyone was glad that Ann was going home. Even though it was still a month away, it was great because they can plan the things they will be doing. Even though it was a month away, everyone was anticipating it. Because it was Ann, the life of not just the party, but of their group; she was the other slice of pizza, and that although her stay would be short -- it had to be meaningful.

 

 

Pierro's POV

 

Ann was going home on February, just in time... for the Grand Ball. I think I'm right on time, Valentine's day, Grand ball, and for her to finally know my feelings. If heaven had sent me blessings, it would be that month.

 

After knowing about the sudden news that Ann had sent, I immediately called her. She had answered almost immediately.

"Hey.." She answered, a bit groggy.

"Hey Ann!", I greeted, over excitedly.

"Hm?"

"Are you sleeping? I can.. just call you later.. if you're..", I continued.

"No! I woke up now.. how are you?", she said cheerfully.

 

"I'm great, its January already, you know." I started. Way to go, Pierro. Of course she knows it's January!

She chuckled, "Yea, this year is really a great one." Ann said.

"How's skating practice and school works?", I asked her, knowing she was struggling in her practice because of the cold weather, yet she was having loads of fun despite that. I knew the story of her family and I also knew things that happened in her everyday life. I'm not a stalker, if you'd think that, we always talked via phone, even though it would cost me a lot.

 

Hearing her voice, feeling the warmth of her every laugh was all worth it. "It's really great. I've been practicing real hard, and I will have a competition before I leave on February."

"You should do well then, knowing you, I know you practiced a lot for it. Always be careful, okay?" I reminded her, the last time she practiced real hard, she hurt her ankle.

"Yea, I don't fall down nowadays.. Dad helps me with skating, also." She told me, in between small laughs. I feel grateful that I get to talk to Ann this way, even for a few minutes; she tells me most of the things that happen in her life and I'm really glad about that, that even though we're worlds apart, I could still be a part of her life.

"How about you? How's everything in school? How's Fretzie, Ericka, and J-" she said, but stopped before she could say his name. Of course she would ask about James.

"Who? James?", I confirm, sensing she wanted to ask about her best friend.

"Y-yeah. I haven't talked to them in a while.", She said.

 

"It's probably because the three of them are planning the Grand Ball for February.", I said, trying to change the topic8. Could you blame me if I was a bit jealous of James? They've known each other for years and I know I couldn't compare to James but still..

"Ann.." I called her.

"Yeah, Pierro?"

"We've been real good friends for a while now." I said nervously.

"I know.." she replied.

 

"..and I know it's inappropriate for me to ask this here, but, i'm scared that I would lose you if I dont do it now." I followed.

"Ann.." I said, my voice starting to stutter.

"W-will you.. be my g-girlfriend?", I finally blurted, nervously.

 

"It's okay if you don't want, I-- I'm not rushing you or anything. I just, I wanted you to know about my feelings. I-- I really like you, but I can wait. Until you could give me an answer." I added, just to lessen the pressure on her part, hoping, at the smallest bit, that she doesn't say no this moment.

 

"Can you give me time, Pierro?" She replied, but I couldn't blame her, we haven't even had a conventional date. But my heart felt as if it would explode.

"I really like you, too, but I think i'm not ready to be in a relationship yet." She told me; a smile fills my face.

Realization hit me, hearing those words, I felt the the whole world crashed into me, even though she likes me, she doesn't want to be with me.

 

"But, can you promise me one thing? But if it's too selfish, you don't have to." She asked.

"What?" I said back, intently listening to her every word. I would practically do anything for her. My heart was beating loudly, and I couldn't help but be worried on what her next words will be.

 

"Please don't be inlove with someone else." She said after giving a sigh, "I-- coud you wait for me? Just until.." 

 

I smiled, widely, "Of course, I promise. I will be waiting for your heart." I said sincerely, I wouldn't get tired, even if I have to wait for a lifetime. I will be waiting for Ann to open up her heart for me. I will be hoping that she will realize how I love her dearly.

 

But I couldn't get the feeling off my chest that there was a hidden reason why she didn't say yes, maybe it was because seeing her in the flesh was oh so different that hearing her on the phone. Maybe it was the distance either, or maybe, it were her parents -- whatever the reason it may be, I would be waiting, I would be keeping the promise. But I couldn't keep the thought out of my mind that there was her reason, maybe there was something else (someone else) she was clinging on to that she couldn't let herself fall in love easily.

 

That there was James..