My Treasure

Lucky

"What will I tell my mom?" She worriedly asked.

He chuckled and said, "Tell her you were clumsy just like her."

 

"What does he mean about how Mom and I were both clumsy?" Ann thought, mindboggled to what the stranger said. Ann shrugged, then proceeded in entering their doorway, and waved good bye to Mr. Li before closing the door.

 

Her mom welcomed her with a worried face and a serious tone, "Ann, where have you been? And why haven't you been answering my calls? And--"

She bombarded her with questions but abruptly stopped when she saw the crutches Ann was holding on to. She didn't really have to use crutches, it was just that Mr. Li was being over protective for Ann. She could walk, but she was slow because it hurt when she did.

 

"What happened, Ann? Tell me all the details." Her mom commanded, going closer to her daughter to examine her bandaged foot.

 

Ann sighed and started with her story, "I was skating, then I fell and broke my ankle. I can't stand and I couldn't even move. Then a guy helped me and brought me to the hospital, and took me home."

 

"A guy? Ann, I told you a thousand times you shouldn't be talking to strangers." She scolded.

 

"But I was hurting, and I had no choice, mom. I needed to trust him. And he's not a stranger, I already met him in the plane ride from the Philippines to here." Ann retorted with an annoyed tone.

 

"But if you think what I did was wrong, then I'm really sorry, Mom. Next time I would just let myself freeze to death!", Ann said loudly.

Ann never wanted to shout at her mom, but she felt that she had a connection with that mystery guy he called Mr.Li, and felt that it was actually right to trust him, she wanted to defend him to her mom, that he wasn't a bad guy after all.

 

Ann went straight to her room, with no hesitation, and banged the door, locking it in the processof her fit. She had cried herself to sleep.

A few hours after, she was being awakened by her mom.

"Ann.." She shook her.

"Hm?" she asked blankly.

"Dinner is ready." Her mom smiled, though they had an argument a while back, it won't stop her from caring.

"Okay." She said then awkwardly stood up. 

She tried sitting up up from the bed, but her bandage gave her a hard time, so her mom had to help her. 

 

"Mom, about a while ago --" Ann started but was cut off by her mom.

"I'm sorry, Ann, if I didn't trust your instincts about that guy. Mom wasn't thinking practically." She said.

 

"No, I'm sorry, mom. I shouted at you, when I had no right to. I should be the one saying sorry not you.. I really didn't mean anything about what I said, mom." Ann retorted, tears forming her eyes; she felt guilty, no matter how much they could argue, she had absolutely no right to raise her voice to her mother and talk back.

 

She continued, "I'm sorry because I just thought that guy had pure intentions, and I didn't know you'll get mad if I would come with him to the hospital. I know you were only thinking of my safety."

"It's fine, Ann. I'm sorry too, because I fumed up without hearing your side." Her mom said.

"Why don't you invite that guy over for dinner, hm? As our way of saying thank you?" She continued.

 

"Uh, I don't have his contact number.. But we could ask the guards by the gate, he just lives in the same neighborhood." Ann said.

 

Her mom immediately grabs the phone by the side table and called the number of the gatekeeper, when he answered, Ann's mom immediately asked, "Excuse me, do you know the house number of...?" She looked at Ann, anticipating her answer.

"Mr. Li!" She whispered to her mom.

 

Her mom's eyes widened, and she blanked out, she then apologized to the guy on the other line and immediately ended the call.

 

"Mom, I thought we were gonna ask about his house?" Ann questioned, confused.

"We don't need to ask it anymore.. I already know his address." Her mom seriously said as she went to grab her purse and keys.

 

Ann was obviously perplexed with what her mom said, does that mean that her mom knew the guy?

Her mom then fixed herself and then called for her, "Dear, get ready, we'll be seeing Mr. Li." 

"You know him, mom?" Ann asked, following her mom's steps as she got ready.

"Let's just go, Ann." She blankly said then proceeded to go out of the house, locking it immediately.

 

Ann's mom drove out of their parking and turned to different streets, until they reached a certain white house. It was really big, with an exterior design that was modern; it was a two storey house which spelled out R-I-C-H in any angle. It looked really pretty on the outside, but the house was lonely, too.


Ann was still perplexed to what was going on? Was it that Mr. Li was a relative? But why didn't Ann know about  him in the past? Ann was curious to ask, but she remained silent as that might aggravate her mom the more she probed. 

Ann's mom turned the car off, and then went fown. Ann immediately followed her. She  knocked on the main door, and waited for an answer.

 

"Who is it?", a guy with a deep voice asked while peeking by the curtains near the door. Ann already knew it was him, the guy who had just helped her.. Seeing vague faces, Mr. Li opened the door, revealing Ann and her mom.

 

He was shocked seeing the faces of the two lovely ladies, right in front of his door step. 

 

"Vicky?" He suddenly said, brows furrowed and wondering what she -- they were doing in front of his house, not that he didn't want them there.

"Hi Jack, long time no see.. How are you?"

"Good." He nodded. Ann was just watching the two adults interact, agape to the whole situation.

"Well I just want to thank you for helping our daughter in her accident, if you weren't there then I don't know how long more until I hear her whining. " Ann's mom said then smiled. Ann was still absorbing all the information she was hearing. It was too hard to digest, what.. Thoughts were jumbled on her head, 'So they know each other. Mom thanked Mr. Li of taking care of "their" daughter? Does it mean...' She thought.

She then felt her head throb in pain, feeling a headadche seethe through. She held her head.

"Are you okay, Ann?" Mr. Li immediately asked as he saw his daughter in pain.. "You should have rested, you're still not well after the fall.." He worriedly said.

 

But being the teenager she was, Ann pushed his hands away then looked at his eyes.

"Are you my father?", Ann asked bluntly. Jack looked at Vicky, and Vicky did the same as well.

 

"Well.. why don't we talk inside?", he said and gestured them to enter his house.

 

The three of them sat on the couch. Ann was seated near her mom. Mr. Li suddenly excused himself and sad he'll get some snacks.

Ann examined the whole place, the house, the little things she could see. There were pictures of a happy family. A father, a mother and a little girl that seemed 3 to 4 years old. 

The 3 people were all smiles and were hugging each other tight. It was a picture of Mr. Li, her mom and a small kid that she would always see in pictures at home, it was her. 

 

"Ann? I know this is all a shock to you..", her mom asked.

"So he's the dad that I've always been longing for? But why don't I have memories of him?" Ann asked waiting to find answers.

 

 

"When you were young as in that picture, your father, he went to Taiwan, and left us in the Philippines." she started.

 

"Because his parents never approved of our relationship... And your father, he was the heir of the family business. So he was needed to come back to Taiwan." Her mom was starting to tear up.

 

His father came back with juice and pastries.

"Thank you.", Ann said.

"But now, that we're already here in Taiwan, we can be together, right?", Ann asked both her parents. She had grown up with a father, and the only wish that she'd lways been asking for every birthday was to have one, and now that he was finally here, can't it be happily ever after?

 

Silence filled the room.

 

Her father cleared his throat, "I hope that I can bring back the past, if both of you will take me back." Her father said.

"I think that will be the best thing to do." Ann's mom continued.

"Ann, I'm sorry for keeping your father a secret for all these years. I know you were always looking for him, and I was scared that if you met him now that you're older you would hate both of us for keeping you away from him." Ann's mom said.

 

Ann then laughed, she could never hate her parents, because at the end of the day, her parents would only want her happiness. "But isn't it cool? It's really a small world! Who would've thought that I would meet him at the airplane? And at the skating rink as well?" Ann noted.

 

"When I saw you at the airplane, you reminded me so much of your mom. Then I followed you all the way home, and when I figured out that you're really my daughter, I watched you skate, and then, wow, I knew you're really the Ann that I love, and most proud of. I'm sorry Dad had to be away for so long, I'm sorry that I couldn't bring both of you to Taiwan, I'm sorry for letting you grow up without a father, and I'm sorry for not having the guts to fight for you in the past."

 

"It's okay.. What matters is that you're here now."

 

They spent all night talking about the past and explaining realities to Ann. Ann was really shocked with all the information she knew, but was happy and at the same time. Everything felt so surreal, but right now, if this was a dream, Ann hoped she never wakes up.

 

"Thank you for helping me today.", Ann told her (now) dad.

"I can call you dad now, right?" She shyly asked..

"Yes!" Mr. Li eagerly said.

 

They called it done and ate dinner together. It was a day Ann would never forget. No one from their family would never forget this day. Jack and Vicky talked like old lovers, like nothing ever happened, they talked like they were falling inlove for the first time, again. Today was a day filled with realizations that ended with nothing but true love and happiness. A day that starts a new chapter in all their lives.

 

"I've found a treasure that I'll cherish forever.", Ann said before saying good night.

"A family I would never want to exchange for anything."