The SMS

Lucky

 

It was a Friday afternoon, the last day of classes before the Christmas break.

 

Ann sent a text message to James, "Hey James.. I need to meet you now. I'll wait for you at your locker, okay?"

 

It was 3:30 in the afternoon then, and Ann was waiting anxiously for James. She tried calling him several times, but he won't pick up the phone. It was because James was currently in a basketball game, a game that was originally scheduled on the Saturday morning and was moved to that afternoon. 

 

But Ann wasn't aware of that. 

 

 

It was quarter to four, and Ann couldn't wait any longer because her mom was at the front of the school, fetching her.

Ann decided to write a note and just slip it inside James' locker.

As she was writing, she heard Ericka, a classmate of hers; on the phone saying, "I'll just call you later. I’m meeting James right now. And i'm already late."

 

She suddenly stopped with her letter and watched where Ericka was headed - to the gym.

She then knew the reason why James wasn't answering her phone calls and didn't meet her. He was waiting for Ericka. Did they have a date? Was she more important than her?

Some kind of hurt stung Ann's heart, knowing the meeting of them was so important to her, but he couldn't even give her time, even just to reply to her messages because he was too busy waiting for Ericka.

 

It was already four in the afternoon, and Ann's mom called her up, asking if she was ready to leave because they can't miss their flight.

 

Ann reluctantly said yes, because she knew her mom would be mad at her if she'll make her wait any longer. 

She went outside, took a last view of her school, sighing at how she'll miss the place, and rode the car.

 

Her mom greeted her, "So, did you get to say good bye to all your friends? Because I know it will be hard for you to see them again soon. I already got all your papers that we need for your transfer.."

Ann replied, "Yes. I hung out with Fretzie and Tricia all day. And I told them we'll see each other soon enough. And there's still facebook right?" She tried being cheerful so her mom wouldn't expect a thing, but on reality, she was sad, they were leaving the place she grew up, she was leaving her friends behind, and she was leaving James behind, her bestest friend, buddy, confidante, and without giving a proper goodbye.

 

"That's good. What did James say when you told him you're moving to Taiwan for good?"

"Nothing.", Ann replied, gazing at the busy city they were now parting from. She was disappointed on herself, not even getting to say farewell, she needed his hug, a hug assuring her that everything would be alright. She needed to hear his laugh, even for the last time, to remember good times even they're far apart. They were inseparable, and now, distances are separating them, maybe by force, but also by destiny.

 

 

Meanwhile, there were 10 seconds on the clock and as James threw the ball, tension was felt in the court, and as it went in, all were cheering because of the winning shot.

 

James had won the game again.

 

Roars from the crowd as everyone shouted in glee. The team was rejoicing and everyone was cheering for James for his winning shot. He was a real MVP.

 

Ericka then giddily approached James and Sam, another player and a friend of James, and congratulated them.

 

"Hey James, Sam! Congratulations! You did it again. Where do we celebrate?" She asked curiously.

"Yeah James, will you be throwing the annual celebration party?" Sam followed.

"Of course, there will be one. Tonight! My dad is looking forward to seeing you guys. " James said, making sure that everyone hears about the party, they usually hold parties at James' home, being his parents very supportive of his dreams and talents, they want what's best for him as long as they can provide him.

 

Eventually, the crowd subsided and the fans went home.

 

He searched for Ann on the bleachers, knowing she would be cheering for him because it was their usual habit.

He checked every seat, but today, she was nowhere in sight.

 

He furrowed his eyebrows, thinking of possible reasons why she was absent on today's game, but then shrugged, thinking that maybe she just went out with the crowd first.

 

He went to the locker room and began to dress up.

As the players were changing, James was called by one of his teammates, Pierro.

 

"Bro, do you know the name of the girl who I sit next to in English class?" Pierro asked.

James raised an eyebrow, he couldn't remember, he didn't have a clue on who she was.

 

"The pretty one that you always talk to and hang out with!" Pierro described.

James' eyes lit up, realizing who he was pertaining to.

"Oh, Ann?" James asked.

 

"Yea, are you... together?" Pierro worryingly asked; his voice was trembling.

 

No. We're just best friends." James laughed, they always ask that question to both of them, though they had clearly stated they were platonic.

 

Pierro's eyes widened and a smile formed on his lips.

"Could you help me get close to her then? Do you think she'll go out with me?" He asked the boy.

James just chuckled, suddenly remembering that he had to call Ann and ask her why she wasn't present in the game. Usually, Ann was the cheerleader that James always had. She would shout his name whenever he scored. Then after a game, she'll stay behind and wait for James to change. But today, it was different.

 

He grabbed his phone from his bag and as he opened it, five calls from Ann and a message appeared.

 

He viewed the text message and immediately rushed to his locker, not minding anyway who was calling him.

 

As he reached the meeting place, Ann was not there. He was confused, but when he checked the time the message was sent, he silently cursed.

Too late.

 

He tried calling her phone, but she wasn't picking it up.

 

"Is she mad at me?" James thought nervously.

 

Ann was wearing her earphones at that time. That’s why she didn't notice her phone ringing. They we're already at the airport, waiting for the plane to arrive.

 

James was worried. He tried asking Fretzie, Ann's best friend, on the whereabouts of Ann.  

"Fretz, where's Ann? Do you know why she wanted to meet me? I feel as if it's really important because she left me 5 missed calls already. But I was at the game. Now that I'm calling her, she's not answering it." He worriedly asked Fretzie.

 

"Calm down, James. Didn't she tell you?" Fretzie asked, shocked. Ann usually tells everything to James, no matter how miniscule that thing may be.

"Tell me what?" He asked confusedly.

"She was leaving and probably she wanted to say goodbye." She said nonchalantly.

"Leaving?!" James asked with a shocked tone.


"Yes. She's going to Taiwan. She said her flight was today. She's in the airport now, I guess." Fretzie sighed; she'll miss Ann for sure.

 

"Why is it so sudden? She didn't even get to watch the game. I didn't even had the chance to talk to her. When will she be back?" James asked all together.

"Not so soon.. She told me they were moving for good. Her mom was here a while ago to fix her school papers." Fretzie said sadly.

 

With those words, he froze. Moving for good.

 

Fretzie's words woke him up from his daze.

"James, I really need to go now, my brother is waiting for me outside. I also don't know why Ann left all of a sudden. " Fretzie said.

"But see you later, okay? Let's talk about it with the group." She added then waved goodbye.

 

At that moment, the bell rang, signalling the end of the classes. Everyone was rushing to the doors, can't wait to get home.

But one stood out from the rest, James, he was just standing in the middle of the hallway, trying to comprehend what he just heard.

 

"Am I never going to see her again then?"

 

James checked his watch; it was already 6:00 PM. He assumed that Ann and her mom were already on their plane. He took his phone, typed a message and sent it, hoping that she'll see it as soon as possible.

 

"Hey Ann. I'm sorry if I didn't get to answer any of your calls a while ago and for not knowing you were leaving. :( Fretzie just told me that you were on your way to Taiwan. But I still hope to see you soon. Talk to me. I will be waiting."