After Afterlife #3: The Cancer Patient And The (Ex-) Boyfriend

Exo Beats

 

Now, it's TaoRis!! :)

 

Enjoy!

 

 

**

 

AFTER AFTERLIFE #3: THE CANCER PATIENT AND THE (EX-) BOYFRIEND

     

 

 

 

“Dr. Wu, a patient was sent to the emergency room just now. You are needed there.” Kris grabbed his surgery clothes and rushed to the ER. An hour and a half was spent and another person’s life was saved by him.

 

“Congratulations everyone,” he said to the people who were alongside with him during the operation. He checked the time and it was already his lunch break. He went to the hospital’s cafeteria and ate along with the other doctors in his department.

 

 

Kris is now a thoracic surgeon, meaning he specializes in lungs. He studied for many years, and it’s been 3 years since he started working. He was a top student, and he performs well in operations.

 

 

Since the hospital he’s working at is just small, he also makes consultations to patients with problems in lungs, not just performing surgeries.

 

 

“Dr. Wu, another patient is coming. Here are his records.”

 

“Thank you.” Kris grabbed the papers and read.

 

“Huang Zitao...a new patient, huh.”

 

 

Indeed, Zitao is a new patient. For some reason Kris’ heart started to beat unbelievably fast. Was he just nervous that it’s a new one? Or is it something else?

 

 

“Good morning, Dr. Wu.” Kris looked up from his desk to the person on the door. A man with dark bags under his eyes and a very tall height was standing right there.

 

“Good morning, Mr. Huang. Have a seat.”

 

“So, lung cancer, huh.”

 

“Yes. And my mother tells me to just undergo the surgery. And, I heard you’re the best one that there is. So…”

 

“Are you sure about this, Mr. Huang? This is a very critical decision.”

 

“I’ve thought about it, and…I’m ready.” Kris sighed. He felt that the boy is seriously not ready and he just decides recklessly.

 

“Okay. I’ll give you a few days. You’ll be confined here first, and we’ll look after you. And when your body is ready, we’ll perform the surgery. Is that okay with you?” Zitao’s eyes looked directly at Kris’, which made Kris’ heart skip a beat. Those eyes were painfully familiar.

 

 

Zitao suddenly can’t breathe. Was it his lung cancer, or the doctor himself? No, that can’t be. They just met.

 

 

Or did they?

 

 

“Okay…” Zitao said. “Okay.”

 

 

**

 

 

Zitao was indeed confined in the hospital. They made him eat healthy foods, preferably with less oil, so his body would have a higher chance of surviving the operation. He made his way to the hospital’s garden to take a walk. He sat down on one of the benches to have a peaceful time.

 

 

Kris suddenly crossed his mind. What’s with that doctor, anyway? Why does he feel different whenever he’s around, doing daily check-ups on him? And most of all, why does it seem like they already met before?

 

 

“I can see you’re here, Mr. Huang.” Zitao was so absorbed in his thoughts that he didn’t hear Kris’ voice.

 

“Mr. Huang?” Finally, Zitao spared a glance at him.

 

“Oh, Dr. Wu.” Zitao moved a little so the doctor could sit. “Is it your break?”

 

“Yeah. I was taking a walk when I saw you. You look like you’re in deep thoughts, Mr. Huang.”

 

WU YIFAN - TIME BOILS THE RAIN

 

“Oh, no formalities please. You can call me Tao.” Tao sighed. Indeed, he was in deep thoughts. But now, it was Kris’ turn to ramble his thoughts. Something about a horror house…

 

 

“The members were having fun after school back then, and then we decided to enter one. We were in front of the door when I felt someone shivering in fear. Turned out it was Tao.”

 

 

Kris just continued speaking. “You can call me Kris. “ Kris smiled at him. Tao’s eyes suddenly widened when he heard his own voice inside his head.

 

 

“Kris hyung never told anyone about his story.”

 

“I do hyung. I like Kris hyung.”

 

 

Tao’s thoughts were abruptly stopped when Kris talked. “Your eyes. They’re kind of—“

 

“Protruding, I know.” Tao smiled. “My dark bags are inborn, there’s nothing I can do about it.”

 

“It looks fine. You actually look like a panda,” Kris said. Another flashback went through.

 

 

“No need to be mad, panda.”

 

 

“Tao…” Kris suddenly blurted out. Tao…that name…he used to say that name…the name of the one he loves.

 

“Kris, I—“

 

“Dr. Wu, a patient is looking for you. He says it’s an emergency. You must go now.” Kris looked at the nurse, then at Tao before leaving.

 

 

As Kris left, Tao stayed for a little while more as his thoughts became clearer one by one.

 

 

“Hello, I’m Tao. I’m training for martial arts, and my eyes are always like this. Please don’t laugh at me.”

 

 

Tao was a member of a group named EXO. He was there, in the afterlife.

 

 

And Kris…

 

 

"Until my last breath, I was with my boyfriend. I can't remember his name, nor his face now. But I got mad at him before I died. You know why?"

 

 

"Because he killed himself."

 

 

"And his reason...his stupid reason..."

 

 

"He said he wants to be with me, even in the afterlife."

 

 

He was with Kris. They were together, even in the afterlife.

 

 

Tao suddenly felt his tears come. He cried and cried and cried. He didn’t know what to feel. Relief, happiness, or sadness?

 

 

Tao rushed to Dr. Wu’s office.

 

 

**

 

 

Kris finished checking the said patient, and he let himself rest on his office chair. He closed his eyes, wanting to relieve some stress. But instead, flashbacks passed through like a movie.

 

 

“Hello, I’m Kris, and let me tell you that chicken is not my style.”

 

"I know exactly how I died. I just needed to take this burden off my chest because I can't take it anymore. You're the only one who'll know about this because I trust you enough among all the other members. Okay?"

 

 

He was dead. He was in the afterlife…with Tao.

 

 

"I died because...I killed myself."

 

 

He killed himself because he wanted to be with Tao. And Tao…

 

 

"Yes, I was Tao's boyfriend in the real world.”

 

 

His door flew open and there stood Tao, huffing his breath as if he just ran a marathon.

 

 

“Tao, you’re not allowed to do physical activities—“

 

“Yifan.” Kris stiffened. Yifan. That’s his real name. But how did Tao—?

 

“Tao, go back to your room—“

 

“Tell me. You remember everything, right?” Tao’s eyes were sparkling. He was about to cry. He wanted to tell Kris—no, Yifan—how much he loves him. He remembered everything now.

 

”What—I don’t—“Tao stepped closer slowly as he spoke.

 

“Tell. Me.” Tao spoke with a hard voice, emphasizing each word. “You remember, right? You knew me. We already met before. Tell me, Yifan. Tell me that you love—“

 

“Tao.” Kris almost shouted. “Go back to your room. You shouldn’t be out here. You need to rest.” Tao’s brows creased. Maybe Kris doesn’t remember anything? Or was it all just a dream? No.

 

“There you go again. You’re lying to me again, Yifan. You lied to me back there in the afterlife, about not remembering your past and that we were together before. Don’t do that again, please…” Tao is now crying. Why is Kris not saying anything?

 

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

 

Tao left that room with a broken heart.

 

 

**

 

 

It’s finally the day of the operation. Tao was getting himself ready. His parents visited him beforehand, and told him that no matter what happens, they will always love him. Tao had his crying session then.

 

 

“Be strong, Huang Zitao. Be strong,” he repeatedly told himself.

 

 

Just then someone opened the door to his confinement room.

 

 

“Tao…”

 

“What are you doing here? Is it time for the operation already?” Kris started to walk towards Tao who was sitting on his bed. Just when he was about to hold his arm, Tao slapped it away.

 

“Don’t touch me.” Suddenly the scene became familiar. It was when Tao found out that Kris was indeed his boyfriend, and he found it out by eavesdropping.

 

“Why…Why didn’t you tell me?” It was the same.

 

“I…Tao…I’m sorry.”

 

“Tell me that you remember everything. That it wasn’t just a dream. Just tell me…” Kris didn’t respond for a long time. Now Tao is crying again.

 

“How can you do this to me? I thought…I thought you love—“

 

“I do, Zitao. I really do.” Kris held Tao’s hands. “I remember everything.” Tao looked up and stared right into Yifan’s eyes.

 

 

Tao wrapped his arms around Yifan. He hugged him tightly while crying with tears of joy. He thought everything that happened was a dream and only an illusion of his. But now…

 

 

“I really love you.” Kris felt his tears coming up. He closed his eyes and let them fall.

 

“Promise me that you’ll survive.” Kris held out his pinky finger. Tao laughed a little before doing the same.

 

“I promise.”

 

 

The operation was done by Yifan himself. He carefully removed the tumor from his lover’s lungs. The operation was done successfully, and all that is left is for Tao to become conscious again.

 

 

But Tao didn’t wake up for days.

 

 

It’s been a week. Kris still checked on Tao every time he’s free. He was waiting and waiting and waiting. Tao wouldn’t die. He wouldn’t. He promised.

 

 

“Dr. Wu. If he still doesn’t wake up tomorrow, I’m afraid—“

 

“No. Don’t. Say. That.”

 

“But he’s—“

 

“Who are you to say that he’s dead? You’re not God, are you? Shut your mouth up.”

 

 

But the sun is already rising, and still Tao’s eyes were closed.

 

 

Kris went to the hospital’s rooftop. It worked before, right? He committed suicide, and he met Tao again in the afterlife. Maybe it will work again. All he wanted was to be with Tao, that’s all. It wasn’t anything big. They can be together again in the afterlife.

 

 

He was about to jump off the building when a voice interrupted him.

 

 

“Yifan.” Kris knew that voice. That voice that he’s been waiting to hear again to call his name. The voice of the one he loves. Tao’s voice.

 

 

Kris turned around and there he saw Tao, standing in his hospital gown with a dextrose connected to him. Kris held back his tears as he ran towards his lover.

 

 

“Zitao…Zitao…” He said while hugging him tightly. Now his tears started to fall. Tao patted his back softly.

 

“I promised, didn’t I?” Kris let go of him. “I won’t leave you anymore.”

 

Kris hugged him again, this time tighter. “I love you…I love you…” he whispered repeatedly.

 

“I love you too Yifan. But…I can’t breathe.” Yifan let go of him.

 

“Oh, right. Sorry.” He wiped his tears. “Let’s get you inside now. You need more rest.”

 

“Okay.” Tao smiled at him.

 

 

And they went back to Tao’s room while holding each other’s hands, not wanting to let go.

 

 

Ever.

 

**

 

Thank you so much for supporting this. I'm really happy whenever I open my acc and I read comments and such. Thank you thank you thank you <3

 

Saranghaeyo~^^