Chances

Lovely Fairytale

Breathing in the refreshing air that circulated around the grand building of the house, Sunny allowed a soft smile to spread on her face as she rested her hands on her lap. Closing her eyes, she tried to sort out her thoughts regarding her academic responsibilities, but soon found herself drifting off into a comfortable slumber. Her smile grew as she realized that the security she felt at the school was abundant enough to allow her to rest in public. However, before she was able to completely submit herself to the luxury of a nap, the sound of a comfortable voice echoed above her.

“Hey,” said Kris as he stared at her, his eyes shifted as he struggled to keep his smile from showing.

“Oh! Hi,” said Sunny as she quickly fixed her bangs before sitting upright. She watched carefully as Kris took a seat next to the blushing young lady. They sat quietly, their hands in their laps as they tried to overpower the metastasizing awkwardness by enjoying the atmosphere. Sunny’s eyes locked onto the bright purple fur of a young centaur, its spotted tail wagging as it enjoyed its lunch of dry hay.

“I heard they added human food to the menu yesterday,” said Kris as he turned his body towards Sunny. Turning to face the handsome young man, Sunny expected to see one of his heart melting smiles, but was instead greeted by his cold stare. His eyes seemed to never stay in one place; always shifting from right to left, person to person. Sunny felt herself stiffen at his strange behavior, but decided not to bring it up, at least not at that moment.

“Yes, they did. It was a wonderful surprise,” said Sunny as she suddenly remembered Kris’s statement. He smiled at her voice, but immediately forced his lips to straighten out as he locked eyes with a group of young wizards. “Kris, are you okay?” asked Sunny as she forced herself to study his eyes.

“Me? Oh, um, yea, I’m great,” said Kris as he looked at Sunny. 

Not buying his words, Sunny furrowed her brows then thought back to when they first encountered each other. He treated her like an annoying bug when all she did was accidentally bump into him. He didn’t smile, his voice wasn’t soft and warm, and he hardly bothered to worry about her condition. But when they had their first real conversation in the forest, he was a completely different person; a happier, friendly person. But why would he act so differently? What could have influenced him?

It took her awhile to figure it out, but eventually Sunny figured that Kris acts different in front of different people. Or maybe just differently in front of people in general. “Kris, are you a friendly person?” asked Sunny as she looked down at her shoes, a strange embarrassment crawling up her neck.

“A friendly person? I think so,” he said as he stared at her shoes after realizing that she was no longer looking at him.

“You weren’t too friendly towards me on the first day,” said Sunny as she began to swing her feet back and forth, creating something to focus on other than the thickening atmosphere.

Hesitantly, Kris began to speak, his words formulating slowly and carefully. “When I first came to this school, I was very shy. I guess people around here aren’t too used to that, so they labeled me as this cold, menacing person. I would have liked to straighten things out, but why bother? It’d be strange if I started expressing myself all of a sudden. It’s easier to just keep up this image until I graduate, don’t you think?” asked Kris as he brought his face up towards Sunny’s. He found himself glancing at her lips once again, admiring their strange attractiveness.

“I guess, but if that’s the case, then why have you decided to discard that image when it came to me?” asked Sunny as she brought her head up to look at Kris, unaware of his closeness. She found herself gulping as she struggled to regain her thoughts, she couldn’t help but think about how handsome Kris was, even from such a close proximity. She watched as he let out a chuckle, the colors in his eyes morphing as a familiar hazel color swam into his eyes.

“You’re special.”

-----

“Okay let’s try another one. How many warts does a witch have to have in order for her to be titled a ‘wicked witch’?” asked Lay as placed his notebook down on his bed.

“Um, 4?” answered Xiumin as he struggled to remember his past lessons. The pain he felt in his heart the previous night refrained him from receiving a proper rest and it seemed to follow him as he tried to shake himself from his sudden sadness. He thought about it a lot. About how he managed to fall for Sunny in such a short amount of time. He thought about how she stole his heart without even trying and about how Kris seemed to steal hers. He also thought about how obvious it was that Kris told the dean to order that stupid human food considering Kris was JungWoo’s nephew. ‘Why hadn’t I thought of that?’ thought Xiumin as placed his hands over his face. He was a heartbroken fool.

”Did you hear? The answer’s 2,” said Lay as he carefully closed his notebook before making his way over to Xiumin’s bed. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, just a bit confused,” said Xiumin as he struggled to form a convincing smile on his darkened face.

“If it’s about our test next week, I can help,” said Lay as he pointed towards his pile of notebooks. Letting out a soft chuckle, Xiumin looked down and tried to free himself from his frenzy of unhappiness for the sake of Lay’s innocence.

“Sure, I’d like help,” said Xiumin as he placed his hands in his lap.

Lay studied him, a look of worry on his face as his eyes sparkled. “It’s not about the test, is it?” asked Lay as he tilted his head. Xiumin didn’t need to say another word for Lay to understand that he was correct. In fact, it seemed as if Lay knew about Xiumin’s situation from the start. “It’s about a girl, isn’t it?” asked Lay, his confidence overpowering the worry.

Xiumin looked down, any chance of a smile completely dispersing. “Well, I don’t know what kind of girl this is, but she seemed to have really beaten your heart,” said Lay as he rested a hand on his helpless friend’s shoulder.  

“I really like her, but I know she won’t accept my heart. She likes Kris and Kris likes her,” said Xiumin. The words tasted bitter as they left his lips. He usually had respect for other people, and he had an excessive amount of respect for fellow wolves no matter the circumstance; however, he’d never despised another being more than he did at that moment.

“Are you sure about that?” asked Lay as he struggled to find a source of light in Xiumin’s situation.

“I think so.”

“You idiot! How could you be getting so upset about this if you’re not 100% sure that Kris and this girl have something going on? You need to find out. Ask her tomorrow, during lunch,” said Lay as he patted Xiumin’s back encouragingly. Xiumin looked at Lay, his brow furrowed as he realized that Lay was right. He wasn’t completely sure that Kris got to her before he did, there was still a chance.

----

The next chapter is gonna be uber exciting and interesting so please look forward to it and tell all your exosun shipping friends, and even your friends who have no idea what exosun is!

The rest of this story is playing out in my head wonderfully, it's just a matter of time before I finally finish the last chapter ^_^

I'm sorry about the shortness of this chapter, it's really late and I'm not feeling too well today, but don't worry! :)

I'll try to update tomorrow :P

Thank you all for reading :)))))