Two Years Ago

Cupid and Thanatos

Jessica was standing up on line while searching someone she was waiting for since half an hour ago. She got a little annoyed because she hadn't find that person. The airport was so crowded that day, too noisy for her.

Everyone seemed already meet to their family or friend who just flew from New York.

"Where is that boy? Did he lied to me about go to Seoul?," Jessica pouted and mumbled at herself, already prepared for yelling at Daniel when she meet him. Shortly after, she saw Daniel from far, the boy waved at her, and Jessica didn't respond him. Jessica pouted as he approached her.

"Hey, girl. How long you've been waiting for me, huh?," asked Daniel with smile. The boy didn't realize that she was angry with him now.

"Two years," said Jessica. Daniel giggled and ruffled her hair. "Don't be mad at me, Jess. I was late because I bought this for you and Krystal,"

Jessica didn't stay mad any longer, because she was attracted to the souvenirs from her best friend. "What's that?,"

Daniel hid the souvenirs' bag. "You shouldn't see it now. Let's having lunch first," he patted his tummy to make him look like very hungry. Jessica just laughed. She then went into her car, followed by Daniel.

+++++

Jessica saw Krystal's shoes in front of her house. It meant that she was in her room right now. She went into house, then put her bag on the sofa.

"Is Krystal here?," asked Daniel because he didn't see Krystal there. Jessica nodded, she then opened the refrigerator, took a bottle of orange juice. She put a glass and that juice in front of Daniel in living room.

"I can took it myself, Jess. I am not a stranger tho," said Daniel. He picked tv's remote control and the tv. He seemed so relaxed in that house.

Jessica nodded, "I should call Krystal to get out from her room,". She went upstairs, knocked Krystal's door, but she didn't answer as usual.

"Krystal.. Cutie, you should get out and see who is coming here,"

"Krystal...," Jessica called her sister again.

"I know who he is, eonni," finally Krystal opened . "I think you've already known it, so please get out for a while. Daniel has something for you," said Jessica smiling.

"I don't want to see him," said Krystal and it made Jessica a little bit shocked by her answer.

"Why? Do you not miss me, cutie?," Daniel already behind her door too. "No, I don't," Krystal's answer made them two shocked even more for Daniel. He just didn't know that Krystal had changed too much like this. Jessica just showed her sad smile to Daniel.

"Krys, you shouldn't be like this to Daniel. He came for seeing us, Krystal," said Jessica patiently. Krystal had being so stubborn, and no one could persuade her to do something.

Krystal was silent. Jessica gave up. She went downstairs, but Daniel still stood up behind her door.

"Krystal, I don't know why you are being like this. But, here is your present. I put them in front of your door, okay?," Daniel put a small pink box in front of the door, and he went downstairs too.

+++++

Jessica and Daniel went out to coffee shop, they both seemed not very happy because of what was happening earlier. Krystal's act just made them shocked, as they knew Krystal never being cold to them. They were very close.

"So, could you tell me what happened to Krystal after I went to New York?," Daniel started the conversation. To be honest, Jessica didn't want to talk about Krystal now, but she thought that she had to tell something to Daniel, for avoiding misunderstanding later.

"First, I don't want you to hate Krystal after what happened earlier," Jessica just hated when someone disliked her little sister, because she really loved her.

Daniel nodded, "How can I hate her,".

"Good. From when should I start the story... Eum, you know that she attempted suicide 2 months before our graduation, right? After that, she was hospitalized for about a week. From that time, I've just known that my little sister got a depression and she had taken a medicine for that. I was so shocked, because she was very cheerful to me and popular in our school. Y'know that too,"

Daniel was listening well the story, sometimes he nodded. Jessica took a deep breath, as she continued her explanation,

"I tried to make her tell me the reason she suffered from depression, but she just didn't open . She was on silent for more than 3 days after that ty day. Mom told me to leave her alone first, so I did it. I wished she could tell me everything after she calmed down, but she didn't even until now. I really don't know why she became like that,"

"So... she still suffers from depression?," asked Daniel carefully. Jessica nodded, she then calmed herself by drinking her coffee.

"And you have to know, that I even heard her crying loud in her room exactly on our graduation day. Now, she only comes out from her room to go to school, and having breakfast. She rarely has her dinner," Jessica sighed.

Daniel patted her head as he tried to calm her down. "I should often call you before, if I know it would be like this," said him.

Jessica shook her head, "No, I don't want to make you worried either,".

Daniel looked at Jessica deeply. Who knows his best friend who was always playful and lovely like Jessica has big problem in her life. He couldn't even believe that Krystal, who was close to him too, had been suffering from depression for 2 years already.