Cupid

Cupid and Thanatos

-Jessica Jung-

 

 

I walked while whistling, and my left hand was holding a plastic bag. There were dumplings for me and my younger sister, Krystal. I hoped she would be happy with this one.

"Krystal~ My cutie sister, do you want some dumplings? I've bought it for you!," I called Krystal who was in upstairs. But no response from her, and I thought she hadn't come back from her school.

I, then, the tv, changed it to music channel, and it seemed like my favorite band's song was played. I smiled widely and before I know, I've already been humming along with the song.

But my phone rang and disturbed my happy time. "Who is it?,"

I frowned as I saw only the phone number there, I didn't know who is the person calling me. I hesitated for a second, but at the end I picked it up.

"Hello?,"

"Hi, Jess!,". Sounds like a foreigner calling me with his accent, like a native.

"Who are you, mister?," I didn't recognize the voice, is it a prank call?

"What? Mister? Are you kidding me? I'm still young, y'know,"

"Just tell me who you are, then," I didn't want to waste my time to give a with this joke.

"I'm Daniel Kim. You forget me?,"

I sighed, "Oh, damn you Daniel. I thought you were a ert ahjussi trying to flirt with me,".

He laughed, "Does my voice sound like an ahjussi, huh?,"

"Yes, you are. Haha, no I was kidding. What's up? It has been 2 years since you called me, dude," I talked casually like usual. I didn't know why I didn't feel any awkwardness to this guy even though we haven't called each other for 2 years.

"I will fly to Seoul, soon," he said.

"You, what? Why so sudden?,"

This guy is always unpredictable. Like 2 years ago on our graduation party, he didn't come and later I know that he had been in New York. He called me that time, and I remembered clearly I was crying hard on the phone. He is my best friend, and we've been a friend since in the middle school but he left without telling me anything in our high school's graduation.

"I've been on my vacation now, and I was bored to death here. So I decided to see you,"

"Already on vacation? So lucky, while I'm still struggling here for my final test this semester," I pouted. 

"Then, it's the best time for me to disturb you from studying, right? Hahaha. Oh by the way, how's Krystal?," he lowered his voice, not too excited as earlier.

I nodded although he couldn't see me. "Yes, she is fine. She didn't do the thing like before anymore. But she is still my cold princess," I had tried to forget the memory of seeing Krystal in pain 2 years ago.

"Good then. You haven't known why she was like that before?,"

I sighed deeply. "Nope and I don't want to bring that memory again, Daniel. It was so hurt," I said as I took a glance at Krystal's room.

"Sorry, Jess. I didn't mean to make you remember it again. So, Jess. Can you pick me up when I arrive in Seoul, huh?,"

"It's okay. Hmm.. I should think it first, okay? Hahaha," I chuckled.

"You are so mean, girl. Pick me up later, or I won't be your friend anymore," he warned me, of course, he was only joking with me.

As I was laughing, Krystal came in. I waved at her and smiled, but she ignored me. I made my phone away for a while as I called her name.

"Krys, I've bought some dumplings in the kitchen. You can take it to your room, okay?,"

Krystal was only nodding, but she didn't go to kitchen. She went straight to her room. I sighed, seeing her like that.

"Jess? Jessica? Are you there?," I heard Daniel's voice and I was realizing I was still on the phone with him.

"Yes, yes. I'm here. Sorry, I've just talked briefly to Krystal," I tried to sound happy. I didn't want to make Daniel worried about me and Krystal.

"Krystal? Can you send my greeting to her? I really want to talk with her, but seems like I've got something to do now,"

I smiled, "Of course I'll tell her. If you are busy, we can talk later,"

"Okay, then. Good bye, Jess. I'll send you text later. See you soon,"

"Okay, see you," I hung up the call and put my phone on table.

 

"Krystal, do you really not want to eat dumplings? I will eat them all, then," I shouted to make Krystal hear me.

"Yes, I am fine. Just eat them all!," she shouted and making me so sad. I was sad everytime she ignored me, because it was so lonely as my parents are in USA.