Because I'm Blind, I Only See You

Your Love Is All I Need

Prompt: Blindness
Additional Character: Changmin
Word Count: 2,040

 

“Go south, Changmin!” The little seven years old shouted as he threw the football in that direction.

Changmin ran in the direction, his eyes trained on the ball; he had almost caught it when he ran into something. Well, someone. Judging by the body that he was now scrawled all over. He scrambled to try and pick himself back up, glancing down to see the kid under him trying to do the same.

The kid looked a bit older than him and Kyuhyun, he was a bit taller too.

“Hey, watch where you’re going next ti—” Changmin started to say, a glare directed at the kid until he saw the kid’s eyes.

They were a pale brown. It looked like they were clouded over with a milky looking substance. It didn’t take a genius to realize that the kid was blind. Especially when he stood up, starting to apologize in a direction that Changmin was not standing in.

“Hey, are you okay, Changmin?” Kyuhyun asked, running up to him and the other kid, “You’re okay, too, right, uh…?”

“Jongwoon. I’m Kim Jongwoon,” the older boy said, trying to figure out where the other boy was standing.

“Jongwoon. What’s wrong with your eyes?” Kyuhyun asked, finding the milky brown eyes to be a little creepy. Thankfully they seemed to be focused on the tree above him and not directly on him.

“He’s blind, you idiot,” Changmin stated before Jongwoon could even get the words out.

“Oh. Well that counts him out in playing ball with us,” Kyuhyun replied.

Changmin picked up the ball off the ground, “Yeah, too bad, but nice to meet you, Kim Jongwoon. Let’s play fetch some more before our moms come back, Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun nodded, looking back at Jongwoon to see the kid trying to make his way back to the playground. The boy kept stumbling and brushing against trees on his way. Kyuhyun kept glancing back at the boy during his turns at throwing until Jongwoon finally tripped and fell to the ground.

He was about to run over and help him until he was hit in the head with the ball, “Ouch! Changmin, you jerk!” Kyuhyun shouted out, rubbing at his head from where the ball had hit him. That was going to leave a bump.

“You’re supposed to be watching, dummy!” Changmin yelled back, running over to check on him, “What are you still looking at—oh, Kyuhyun,” he pause when he realized that Kyuhyun had been staring at Jongwoon, to find the boy had fallen down and was struggling to get back up.

“I’m going to go help him. I bet he doesn’t have any friends,” Kyuhyun stated, starting off towards Jongwoon as the boy started to pick himself back up.

Changmin stared after him, watching as Kyuhyun helped the boy back up on his feet. He shrugged, deciding to help the kid out too. Kyuhyun was probably right, Jongwoon didn’t have any friends to care for him or help him out.

 

It turned out that it was true. Due to Jongwoon’s blindness, he hardly had any friends. But Kyuhyun and Changmin both learnt that Jongwoon wasn’t always blind.

He’d lost his sight in a car accident when he was six, him being eleven now. His father still blamed himself for the accident despite it being the other driver’s fault. His father had felt like he’d robbed his son his life now that he couldn’t see, but if anything, Jongwoon tried to see the good in it, there had to be something good to come out of his world of eternal darkness.

And he believed the good had come after he’d met Kyuhyun and Changmin. The two boys actually wanted something to do with him, and they didn’t poke and make fun at his disability. That in itself was something that Jongwoon found from the turn of events.

He had friends now. Even though they were slightly younger than him, Jongwoon cherished them. He couldn’t do a lot of stuff that the boys liked doing such as playing catch and games like tag, but Kyuhyun and Changmin taught him other games.

But like all things, everything has to come to an end. After a few years, Changmin had gotten himself a girlfriend, and to say that Kyuhyun wasn’t bummed out over it was an understatement. He practically resented the couple; he wanted all of Changmin’s time and attention.

“I don’t get it! She’s not even that pretty, hyung!” Kyuhyun whined to the black haired boy as they sat on the swing set of the very park that they met each other in.

Jongwoon chuckled, shortly after Changmin had introduced the girl to the two, she allowed him to trace over her face. Instead of thinking less of Jongwoon’s blindness, she was fascinated. And from what Jongwoon’s fingertips told him and the image that he had formed in his mind of her, she was not ugly. Changmin was lucky to have a pretty and kind girl like her.

“I beg to differ, Kyuhyun,” Jongwoon replied, “I’m sure you’ll do the same when you get a girlfriend.”

Kyuhyun shook his head, “Nuh-uh, I’m not getting a girlfriend, girls have cooties.”

“Then are you going to get a boyfriend?” Jongwoon teased.

“No,” Kyuhyun shook his head again, “All I have left is you, hyung, and you’d better not get a girlfriend! Or else, I’ll be all alone!”

Jongwoon laughed, “You’re such a drama queen, Kyuhyun.” He reached over in Kyuhyun’s direction, and with a little help from Kyuhyun knowing exactly what the older boy was going to do, Kyuhyun leaned closer for him to ruffle Kyuhyun’s hair, “You’ll always be my favorite dongsaeng.”

Kyuhyun grinned.

 

But it wasn’t until a year later that, surprisingly enough, Kyuhyun caught the sight of a girl wrapped around Jongwoon’s arm. After being straightened out with Changmin and having to come to terms with his childhood friend, he had gotten over his jealousy with Changmin.

Jongwoon, however, was a different story. Jongwoon was Kyuhyun’s. Honestly, the boy had already laid claims on the older boy. So when he saw the girl wrapped around Jongwoon’s arm, he was livid. But only around Changmin. He didn’t want to say anything to Jongwoon about it; it was a surprise in itself that the blind boy was able to get a girlfriend just because he couldn’t see.

Although when Kyuhyun caught himself staring at the black haired boy, it was obvious that if Jongwoon wasn’t blind, that he would be a natural chick-magnet.

“I don’t like it, Changmin. Seriously, he’s mine! She can’t have him,” the boy fumed as he and his childhood friend played another round of Street Fighter. Kyuhyun was angry, and that meant that Changmin didn’t stand a chance of wining a single round against him.

Changmin sighed, wanting to throw down his controller when Kyuhyun won, again, “Just be happy for him, Kyuhyun. I’m sure you were like this to him when I started dating Seohyun.”

“That’s different!”

“How?” Changmin asked, his eyebrow cocked up, he knew the reason why it was different but his two friends were too dumb to see it.

Kyuhyun crossed his arms with a glare, “It just is! He’s mine!”

“He’s still yours.”

“Only when he’s not around her then he’s mine,” Kyuhyun scoffed, “Why did she have to take him from me?”

Changmin laughed out loud at the boy’s question, “Because you were too stupid to get him first.”

Kyuhyun was about to glare at the insult but then he caught the statement that the boy said. His eyes widened, “I… I-I don’t… I’m not—what—I’m not gay!”

Changmin shrugged, “You don’t have to be gay to like the guy. But just admit it; you feel more of an attraction to him than you do anyone else. Of the same or opposite gender.”

Kyuhyun stared at the boy then glanced at his video game controller, “Do… do you think he’d be okay with that?”

“He probably would. Only Jongwoon can calm down your craziness, it seems, and I’ve seen the way he is around you too. You mean a lot to him, it’s plain to see.”

“But if he feels like that to me then why hasn’t he said anything and why does he have a girlfriend now?”

Changmin shrugged, “Maybe he really likes her. Or maybe she’s just a friend? Or maybe he’s trying to see if you would be jealous?”

“You really think so?” Kyuhyun didn’t want to set his hopes up only to be rejected, but he couldn’t help a small spark of excitement that went off inside him.

“There’s only one way to find out. Ask him about it.”

 

“Hyung, do you like me?”

That question had Jongwoon’s eyebrow raising; he glanced in the direction that he believed that Kyuhyun was in. He shrugged, and decided to tease the boy, “Eh, you’re alright.”

He bit back the smile tugging at his lips at the frustrated noise leaving Kyuhyun’s lips, “I’m serious! Do you like me, hyung?”

“We wouldn’t be friends if I didn’t, Kyuhyun.”

“Not as friends, you dummy. As…” Kyuhyun’s voice lowered, they were on the playground and it wasn’t exactly vacant around the swing set that they were swinging on, “As… boyfriends.”

This time, Jongwoon’s eyes widened, “Boyfriends?”

“Yeah, do you like me like that? Will you leave Geunyoung and be with me instead?”

Jongwoon wondered what was going on in the eleven years old boy’s head because this Kyuhyun, as bold and outspoken as the kid may have been, couldn’t have been in his right mind.

“I’m not with Geunyoung like that, Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun was confused by that, “Huh? But aren’t you and her boyfriend and girlfriend?”

Jongwoon shook his head, “No, she’s my cousin.”

Well Kyuhyun felt dumb then. After all, it wasn’t like he’d ever seen the two kiss. They held hands and she wrapped her arm around Jongwoon’s, but then again, Kyuhyun did that too, and Changmin. They had to so they could lead the blind boy and it’s obvious now that she was just doing the same.

“Oh. So do you like me like that or not?”

Jongwoon stopped his swing and turn towards the direction of the sounds of Kyuhyun stopping as well. He only wished he could see him.

“You wouldn’t mind having a blind boyfriend?”

Kyuhyun scoffed, “No, blind or not, you’re still Jongwoon. My Jongwoon.” Then Kyuhyun laughed, “But since you are blind, I can just keep telling you how handsome I am and how you’re lucky to have a pretty good looking boyfriend like myself.”

Jongwoon chuckled to himself, “You’re so full of yourself. Did you forget? I already have a pretty good image of you in my head.”

“Then admit it, I’m handsome. You have a drop-dead gorgeous boyfriend!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, but to be honest, Jongwoon was really the beautiful one.

“Eh, you’re alright looking,” Jongwoon teased, getting off the swing.

Kyuhyun followed after him, glaring at the older boy, “I’m gorgeous, you know it’s true!”

Jongwoon just bit his lip to keep from grinning, he extended his hand for the younger boy to hold, “Okay, okay…” When Kyuhyun thought Jongwoon was going to finally admit it, his face lighting up in anticipation, Jongwoon continued, “I have an alright-looking boyfriend.”

Kyuhyun scowled, “I’m handsome, hyung,” he grabbed the older boy’s hand, leading them back towards their homes, “If you don’t admit it, I’m going to run you into some trees, hyung.”

Jongwoon laughed, squeezing Kyuhyun’s hand softly, “Yeah, yeah,” before Kyuhyun could say anything, Jongwoon brought their hands up to kiss the back of Kyuhyun’s hand, “You’re handsome, Kyuhyun,” he murmured against his hand.

The kiss to his hand caught Kyuhyun off guard for a moment, then he smiled to himself, he pulled the boy closer, “Since you missed my cheek, hyung, I’ll get back at you,” he leaned over and pressed his lips to Jongwoon’s cheek.

Kyuhyun grinned widely when Jongwoon’s cheeks started turning red, he chuckled to himself, tugging the older male on along towards their homes, “We’re going to be together forever, okay, hyung?”

Jongwoon was still cupping his cheek where the boy had kissed him, he bit his bottom lip, “That sounds good with me, Kyuhyun.”

 

A/N: I've never written a blind character before, so this was interesting. :D But I hope it turned out well!