The Perfect Cup of Coffee

Your Love Is All I Need

Prompt: Coffee
Additional Member: Ryeowook
Word Count: 3,157

 

Yesung loved coffee. It was no secret. He could drink it any time of the day, or all day long. It was just one of the small pleasures that he enjoyed in life.

Coffee, however, was not something that Kyuhyun liked. It was okay when it was loaded down with sugar and cream, maybe a bunch of ice cubes, but without any of that, he’d honestly vomit if he had to drink it. Which is one reason why he grimaced every time he saw his hyung raise that stupid coffee cup, with the turtle prints decorating it, up to his lips.

Because that meant that without Yesung popping a mint in his mouth after finishing that vile drink or brushing his teeth then there was no way that Kyuhyun was going to be able to steal a kiss.

Especially since his turtle loving hyung never liked sweet coffee. No, instead, he preferred little to no sugar and only a little bit of cream. So that left Yesung’s lips tasting very bitter. And that, in itself, left Kyuhyun feeling bitter; after all, there was nothing he loved more than stealing kisses from Yesung.

But if there was anything that Kyuhyun despised more than that black as coal liquid, it was the fact that Ryeowook knew how to make Yesung a cup of coffee. The exact way he liked it. He knew the exact amount of sugar to put in it and he knew just how much of the cream to pour in it. All of which made Kyuhyun burn with jealousy when he witnessed the exchange of that drink of death between that annoying little pipsqueak and his Yesung.

It was completely unreasonable that Kyuhyun felt that way over the fact that Ryeowook knew how Yesung liked his coffee. Okay, well, not really. That little smile that crossed Yesung’s lips at the sight of that turtle decorated coffee cup was more than enough reason for Kyuhyun to feel jealous. Because he wanted that smile to be aimed at him while he handed the coffee cup over to his hyung. That cute little smile belonged to him, not that that wretched person that loved stealing all of Yesung’s attention away from Kyuhyun.

So he was left with no choice other than to learn exactly how Yesung liked his coffee. Because the first thing in the morning that Kyuhyun wanted to receive, well aside from the morning breath kisses that Yesung was still too shy about giving, was that beautiful smile.

But learning how to make Yesung a cup of coffee was not an easy task. Ryeowook wouldn’t budge with giving away any of his knowledge and Yesung wasn’t specific enough when it came to the details.

And of course, it wasn’t just the amount of sugar and cream that had to be perfect, no, the amount of coffee grounds one puts into the filter had to be perfect too. A lesson that Kyuhyun learned when he made Yesung’s first cup of coffee.

 

 

Groaning like a zombie, with his eyes barely open, Yesung’s nose picked up that heavenly aroma. His hands grabbed that turtle printed coffee cup from the maknae and raised it to his lips without a second thought.

Kyuhyun watched with anticipation for that dopey, happy smile that usually crossed Yesung’s lips at the first sip but instead, a grimace crossed Yesung’s lips as he pushed the cup back into Kyuhyun’s hands.

“Oh gods, that’s too strong. How many scoops of coffee did you use to brew it?” Yesung asked, wiping at his tongue with a napkin as he tried to get rid of the taste.

Kyuhyun frowned as he looked down at the dark liquid in the cup, “I just filled the filter up with it.”

“To the brim?!” Yesung exclaimed, only to receive a small nod from the maknae. “Kyuhyun, that’s a twelve cup coffee maker. If you fill it to the brim with coffee grounds, that’s way too much for even twelve cups!”

Kyuhyun’s bottom lip poked out in a pout at his failure before he sighed, “How much should I have put in?”

“You only put three and a half, Kyuhyun, and fill the water up to the eight since not everyone in the dorm drinks coffee,” Ryeowook chimed in sweetly, with a cup of coffee in his hands to give Yesung. At the sight of Kyuhyun’s curious gaze at the coffee cup, the eternal maknae shrugged, “I made this cup before you snatched the coffee maker from me.”

Kyuhyun was about to glare at that smug looking face of Ryeowook’s but a deep husky moan had his head snapping back to Yesung. He didn’t pay attention to the satisfied expression of Ryeowook’s, no, his eyes were glued to the man he loved as the older man almost drained the coffee cup dry. And as soon as Yesung set the cup down and his lips, Kyuhyun couldn’t stop himself from latching himself onto the man’s body and smothering him with a deep kiss. Even if he tasted that wretched coffee flavor on his hyung’s lips and tongue.

It was only after pulling away that he gagged on the taste of coffee remaining on his lips. He wanted to throw a smug smirk at Ryeowook but due to that vile taste in his mouth, he didn’t, and he fell short to even try once Yesung’s hand connected with the back of his head.

The older male hissed, “I told you not to do that in front of others.” Despite the pain of the smack, Kyuhyun could see that his hyung was embarrassed, the dark tinted cheeks told it all. He was about to apologize until he saw a soft smile cross Yesung’s lips, only that smile was not directed towards him. Instead, it was towards that little pipsqueak. “I’m sorry about that, Ryeowook.”

Ryeowook shook his head with a smile, “It’s fine, hyung, go on and eat breakfast so you can get ready for your schedule.”

Kyuhyun scowled at the shorter male as he followed behind Yesung, “I don’t see what the big deal is with showing affection, hyung, everyone in the dorms knows we’re together.”

But he knew the man was still shy about things like kisses and such around other people.

 

 

The second attempt, Kyuhyun finally got the amount of coffee grounds to put into the filter and the water, thankfully remembering what Ryeowook had told him. Only this time, he didn’t understand the terms that Yesung used. A little bit of sugar and a few splashes of cream. How was one supposed to measure something to perfection with only that as their lead?

So the next two mornings, Kyuhyun was met with disappointment as Yesung pulled the coffee cup away from his lips with a grimace, muttering, “Too much sugar!” or “Too much cream!”

 

 

However, after a trip to Mouse Rabbit and talking to Yesung’s mother, Kyuhyun’s trip proved to be successful in finding out just how to make Yesung the perfect cup of coffee. It was a lesson that Yesung’s mother was happy to teach the boy, if only because she found Kyuhyun’s reasoning behind it to be cute. Kyuhyun was glad for that, because his excuse of just wanting to be a good dongsaeng and taking care of his exhausted hyung was the best he could come up with since the two still hadn’t told either of their parents about their relationship.

Although Jongjin wasn’t as easily convinced. He knew there was something more behind Kyuhyun’s words.

“So why exactly are you trying to make Jongwoon-hyung a cup of coffee?” Jongjin asked as he watched Kyuhyun follow all the steps that his mother told the boy.

Kyuhyun was about to repeat the same answer he used with Yesung’s mom, but a pointed look from Jongjin told him that the boy wasn’t buying it. “It’s the truth though, he works hard and I just want—”

“To be a caring boyfriend?” Jongjin finished for him, causing Kyuhyun to falter in stirring the coffee. At the panic expression creeping across Kyuhyun’s face, Jongjin shrugged, “I know about you two. Well, not exactly, hyung hasn’t told me everything, but if the pictures of you two on his phone and the stupid smiling faces when he answers your calls and how he coos about you to me says anything, it’s obvious there’s something going on between you two.”

That little bit of information surprised Kyuhyun, but he supposed he could see where Jongjin was connecting the dots, and that scared him. Because what if he told their parents before either Kyuhyun or Yesung was ready? “You’re not—”

“I’m not going to tell anyone, I’m just curious about you two, and as to why you want to make him coffee. When I know that you hate coffee, you despise it unless it’s some sugary coffee drink that you can’t even taste the coffee itself anymore,” Jongjin replied, walking over to the counter and taking the forgotten cup of coffee from Kyuhyun’s hands.

Kyuhyun put down the spoon on the counter and peeked through the kitchen door to make sure that Yesung’s mother wasn’t anywhere around to hear this conversation. He turned back to see Jongjin take a drink of the coffee, his face scrunching up in distaste as he set the cup back down.

“Yeah, you got the taste just how Jongwoon-hyung likes it. Bitter, but you can still appreciate the taste of the coffee,” Jongjin stated, wiping at his mouth before pushing the cup over to Kyuhyun. “So? Spill about why you want to make him the perfect cup of coffee. Heaven knows that he already has Ryeowook making the coffee the way he likes it, so why—” Jongjin stopped as soon as he saw Kyuhyun’s flinch at the mention of Ryeowook’s name, and it almost looked like Kyuhyun wanted to scowl at the coffee cup but was trying to remain calm. He chuckled to himself, “You’re jealous of him.”

That had Kyuhyun’s head whipping up to stare at the boy, wide-eyed. Jongjin just smirked, that was it. The green monster of jealousy had gotten hold to Kyuhyun. “So you’re jealous because Ryeowook’s been making him coffee?”

Kyuhyun quickly shook his head, “It’s not just that. It’s… it’s the fact that I want to be the first thing that Jongwoon smiles at in the morning, I want to be able to greet him in the morning with something that makes him smile so happily over and have that smile directed at me. Not Ryeowook.”

“Well don’t you two sleep in the same bed, don’t you two wake up and what? Kiss each other good morning or something?” Jongjin questioned, it was just a wild guess that his brother and Super Junior’s maknae even slept together at night.

“Only when I press for a kiss, he’s all shy about having morning breath and usually he’s annoyed because my alarm sometimes wakes him up. And other times, well, he’s still exhausted and just wants to lay there. And I do enjoy those moments, I do, but there’s something about the way he smiles at Ryeowook when he gets his coffee in the mornings that makes me want to be in Ryeowook’s place,” Kyuhyun tried explaining, but to hear everything through his own ears and coming out of his own mouth, maybe it does just sound like he’s just jealous of Ryeowook and Yesung’s friendship.

Jongjin shook his head, an amused smile working its way across his lips, “Man, you’ve got it bad for my brother,” then he straightened up, meeting Kyuhyun’s gaze, all jokes aside, “but at least I know you’re serious about him now.”

“Of course, I love—” Kyuhyun stopped himself quick, he hadn’t even muttered those words to Yesung yet, and yet here he was about to spill that to Jongjin.

A smirk crossed Jongjin’s lips that Kyuhyun could recognize anywhere, it was the same kind of smirk that he’d have when he had obtained blackmail worthy information on one of his hyungs. He gulped at what Jongjin could say next, “I see you’re very serious about him then. That’s good. But if you two are already together, then you really should stop getting jealous over him and Ryeowook, hyung thinks of Ryeowook as a younger brother, that’s all.”

Yeah, Kyuhyun knew that but it didn’t mean he still wasn’t jealous over the closeness that the two have. He wanted Yesung all to himself.

And judging by the look on Kyuhyun’s face, Jongjin could see why the Super Junior maknae had been labeled a brat. It was obvious that he wanted to be selfish with Jongwoon. Jongjin couldn’t blame him since he wouldn’t want another guy taking all of his girlfriend’s attention away from himself. So he decided to share a little bit of knowledge that could probably earn points for Kyuhyun with Jongwoon.

“Don’t be such a selfish brat, he cares the most about you,” He smiled to himself as he started to walk out of the kitchen, but stopped to throw a smirk at Kyuhyun, “But if you want to make his coffee a little more special than Ryeowook does, he loves a pinch of cinnamon mixed with it.” With that, Jongjin walked out of the kitchen to attend to some customers.

Kyuhyun stared after him for a moment before looking down at the coffee cup; he glanced around at the different ingredients on the shelves in front of him and found a bottle of cinnamon powder. Who would ever drink cinnamon flavored coffee was beyond him, but he’d try it. Because surely if anyone knew what Yesung loved the most, it would be his own family.

 

 

The next morning, Kyuhyun beat Ryeowook to the coffee maker, practically jerking it away from the eternal maknae’s hands as he worked about making the best cup of coffee for his favorite hyung. He didn’t pay any attention to Ryeowook as he remembered the exact amount of coffee grounds, water, and then as he poured some of the coffee into Yesung’s favorite coffee cup. He knew that he had to get everything perfect, mostly because he wanted to impress his hyung and receive that beautiful soft smile, but also because Yesung had a hectic schedule the day before and it was obvious that he was exhausted.

Just before he finished the cup, he glanced over at Ryeowook to make sure the shorter man wasn’t watching because he wanted the tip that Jongjin gave him to stay his secret. As Ryeowook had his back turned, scrambling eggs or something on the stove, Kyuhyun grabbed the cinnamon from the spice rack and added a pinch to the coffee. Just the right amount that Jongjin said.

The moment he was finished stirring in the cinnamon, he heard that all-too-familiar husky groan that had his ears perking up. Making his way to the kitchen doorway with the hot cup of coffee in his hands, Kyuhyun smiled brightly at the sight of his favorite hyung. Although the man looked like he’d seen better days, with his hair sticking out in different directions, dark circles under his eyes, and the faint traces of drool on the corner of his mouth, Kyuhyun still thought he looked like the most beautiful creature on the planet.

“Good morning, hyung,” Kyuhyun called as Yesung rubbed at the sleep in his eyes, “I have your coffee ready.” He held the turtle printed cup out to the man, and his smile slightly faltered when he saw the way that Yesung gave a hesitant smile to the boy. He knew that Yesung was wondering if he should take the cup from the boy, afraid that the coffee would be awful like all his other attempts at making coffee for Yesung. “I made it just for you, Yesung-hyung.”

“Um… thanks, Kyu…” Yesung slowly reached for the cup, a nervous expression crossing his face as he looked down at the coffee.

Kyuhyun waited for him to take a drink, waited to see the man’s reaction, and long awaited to see that smile that would be directed to him.

“Don’t worry, Yesung-hyung, I have an extra cup of coffee for you in case that one’s too sweet or too creamy or just not how you like it,” Ryeowook chimed in from behind Kyuhyun with a little smile on his lips.

Kyuhyun turned to scowl at that little hobbit, ready to defend the cup of coffee he made until a sigh of contentment fell from Yesung’s lips made its way to his ears. He quickly turned back around to see that small, dopey smile making its way across Yesung’s lips. Kyuhyun’s lips almost mirrored Yesung’s as he watched the shorter male return to drain the cup of coffee.

“W-Well that’s a first,” Ryeowook murmured from behind Kyuhyun, quickly going back into the kitchen once he heard the toast pop up from the toaster.

All the while, the evil maknae felt so happy that he had finally perfected that vile drink that his lover enjoyed so much. And smug as well. Smug that he had a little secret to help him steal all of Yesung’s attention from Ryeowook now. All thanks to Jongjin’s tip.

“So how was it, hyung?” Kyuhyun asked as soon as Yesung finished the coffee, still happy to see that beautiful smile still clinging to Yesung’s lips.

“Perfect. It was perfect, Kyuhyun. Thank you,” Yesung replied, glancing down at the empty cup, “What else did you put in it? I tasted something else aside from the sugar and cream.”

Kyuhyun looked over his shoulder to make sure that Ryeowook wasn’t listening as he was about to tell Yesung his little secret ingredient, but a better idea popped up. He slipped his arm around Yesung’s waist, pulling the shorter male to him, catching the man off guard as he leaned down to press a soft press to the man’s lips. The room was empty for the moment; surely he wouldn’t get pushed away for his action as he simply replied.

“Just added a little bit of my love to make you the perfect cup of coffee,” Kyuhyun smirked at the blush crossing Yesung’s cheeks as he closed the distance between their lips again.

 

 

Meanwhile, Ryeowook was still in the kitchen, waiting for Kyuhyun and Yesung to stop making out so he could take some food out to the dinning room when he saw something sitting out on the counter. A bottle of cinnamon powder. He thought that was odd, he hadn’t used cinnamon in anything this morning as he sat the bottle back on the spice rack.

Then it hit him. He chuckled to himself. Yesung’s mother must’ve told Kyuhyun about that little tip to make Yesung a good cup of coffee. Maybe he’d refrain from using the little tip just so Kyuhyun could get his satisfaction out of it.

Or until that evil maknae deserved payback.