No Easy Way Out

From the Rabbit Hole

“So, what are we going to do with him?” Yongguk asked Ken while keeping his eyes fixed on the teen in the interrogation room through the cameras. The young cop glanced at his nail biting roommate.

Ken didn’t know what had happened, but when he arrived home he found Hakyeon sobbing in the kitchen and the teen locked up in his bedroom closet. The brunet obviously didn’t want to talk about it. Himchan storming in like an elephant with documents in his hand interrupted Ken’s thoughts.

“I found it!” he yelled a bit too excited. Yongguk chuckled at the journalist’s behaviour. It was funny to see him so thrilled when he found new information.

Himchan found the teen’s documents. His name was Kim Wonsik and was reported missing four years ago, when he was 13. No one had ever heard of him since and was declared dead after six months. His parents got into a car accident not long after.

The cheshires kidnapped children! Himchan’s heart beat faster and a feverish heat spread through his body. He had to find out more. Maybe he could finally expose everything they were hiding, and Kim Wonsik could provide him that information.

Ken noticed the crazed look in Himchan’s eyes and understood what he was thinking. He knew about Yongguk’s crush on the journalist, which explained why Himchan wasn’t kicked out of the room yet and was allowed to help. The problem was that it sometimes blinded him, most of the time when Himchan behaved like this.

Both Hakyeon and Ken remembered the murder investigation a few years back when Himchan almost killed a suspect. He was convinced that it was the culprit and was furious when the suspect kept on telling him that he didn’t know where the body was. It ended up not being him and Ken luckily could convince the man to not sue the journalist. All of that was before Yongguk joined and no one wanted to speak of the incident.

Just when Himchan wanted to rush into the interrogation room, Ken stopped him. The cop received a glare and Himchan produced a low growling noise. Yet the journalist understood the message ‘don’t go in, I don’t trust you’ well enough. He would kill for information, but he could still think rationally and didn’t do anything stupid. He could control himself, like in the coffee shop.

“Fine,” he mumbled and left, kicking a bin over on his way to the door. Yongguk gave his colleague a strange look, but Ken assured him that it was a good decision and shrugged it off.

“Let’s go in, Hakyeon, you too. I want to know how the hell he ended up in the closet.”

 

“So, Kim Wonsik. Will you tell us what you were doing in that apartment?” Yongguk asked. He hoped that the teen would normally answer so they wouldn’t have to play good cop, bad cop.

Wonsik threw his head back and started laughing. Hakyeon noticed strange scars on his throat, as if a big cat had scratched him.

“Who the hell is Kim Wonsik? My name is Ravi Cheshire, but what’s handsome’s name?” he pointed at Hakyeon. The brunet blushed and quickly looked at his shoes.

“What’s wrong with you? I hit you with a frying pan, locked you up in a closet and you call me handsome?” he muttered under his breath. He looked up and saw Ken almost cracking up. Ravi kept staring strangely at him. “Don’t look at me like that! What kind of look is that anyway?” Hakyeon snapped at the teen, feeling uncomfortable.

“It’s the I-know-where-you-buried-your-baby look,” Ravi laughed even harder. Everyone in the room paled and similar questions rushed through their heads. Has he always been like this? Did the cheshires make him like that? What happened to him to become like this?

Yongguk and Ken tried to interrogate him and get rational answers out of the teen, but he wouldn’t budge and kept blurting the craziest and creepiest answers possible. Three hours later the cops and barista were mentally exhausted, while Ravi had a wide grin on his face when they shut the door.

After a nice cup of tea Yongguk sighed and put Ravi in one of the cells in the office. The teen kept staring at them as a killer. Hakyeon felt like punching him. The thing was that he was afraid of Ravi. Even with a small glimpse at the blue haired guy he knew that Ravi could probably break bones with those muscles of his. The brunet got lucky with the frying pan.

Ken’s brain was working over hours and it surely didn’t help that Ravi started singing ‘no easy way out’.

“I'm prisoned, but believing. Twisting my delusions, best beware.”

“Will you shut up!” the cop yelled at him. Hakyeon already refused to do anything against the fact that Ravi tried to break in, and it was officially his apartment. Ken had nothing to say about it. Therefore they could only hold him for 24 hours, and he was underage and needed a home. None of them wanted him to go back to the cheshires either.

“Let me help you out with your crisis, Dingo. My captor, that’s how I grew up, can only hold me captive. Put me in whatever orphanage or foster system you want. I will either go back to my lovely Cheshire family, or my captor. It’s your choice really,” the teen giggled at Ken hearing his new nickname, and later the frown when he tried to proses the new information.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Yongguk shouted when Hakyeon spit hot tea all over his uniform. When did he go from barista to captor? The last thing the brunet wanted was to be stuck with an insane Cheshire.

“When everything's come, when everything's come, undone. There's no easy way, no easy way, no easy way, no easy way, out.”

 


I honestly don't know what I'm doing here. Weird characters are tiresome. Does anyone know a funny nickname for Yongguk?

I'm going to get tea and continue listening to Welcome to Night Vale (the only fandom I'm in that has an OTP become canon)

Love y'all!