Coffeeshop

From the Rabbit Hole

Hakyeon moved his head to the rhythm of the song that played in the background while making an iced Americano for his friend as Himchan walked into the coffee shop.

“Hakyeonie! Can you give me the usual please?” the man said tiredly as he could barely open his eyes. He immediately woke up a little because of the scent of fresh coffee that always hung around the brunet and Hakyeon placed the man’s order in front of him. “How did you?”

“You always come at the same time and order always the same thing, you’re predictable,” the barista winked at him and went to face another customer to take his order with an smile on his face.

Himchan chuckled at his friend’s words. He was not the only one that was predictable. Hakyeon lived everyday the same day as if he was stuck in an eternal Tuesday time loop.  It didn’t seem to bother him, or he simply didn’t notice. Anyhow, the brunet clearly was content with the way it was.

Himchan might seem predictable in his habits to Hakyeon, and maybe he was, but the barista only saw Himchan in his free time. Himchan’s work as a journalist was everything but predictable, especially since his boss gave him the job to keep an eye on a particular gang that recently started causing a lot of trouble in town.

 

The peaceful atmosphere was suddenly disturbed by a group of five guys around the age of 19. All of them had either green or golden eyes. Some even had a mix of both. Everyone in the coffee shop stiffened. They all knew who the guys were and what they were capable of.

The five were part of the gang Himchan was investigating, the cheshires. It was more of a small society than a gang. A majority existed of teens between the ages of 16 and 22. Some were either kicked out of their house or runaways from the orphanage. Others had so many debts that becoming a Cheshire was the only option left for them.

One of the few ways to recognize a Cheshire was the radiant green or golden eye colour. They also had a tattoo of the grinning Cheshire cat on the back of their neck. The last way was that they were fearless and completely insane. There was no reasoning possible with them.

Further there wasn’t much know about them. Nobody knew who their leader was or their initial goal.

Hakyeon’s palms started sweating and had a mental debate with himself if he should or shouldn’t call his manager. The brunet quickly put on a fake smile when the oldest of the five approached him.

“How can I help you?” Himchan noticed that the barista’s voice was unusually high pitched. He probably remembered last week’s article that described the robbery of a store close by, not many people survived the stabbing when the cashier didn’t cooperate. Or the week before that when a whole street was robbed of everything valuable. Nobody could obviously prove it, yet everyone knew who’d done it.

The Cheshire’s golden eyes almost glowed up when he saw the look on Hakyeon’s face. “My name is Daehyun and I’d like to order two espressos, two cappuccinos and a latte,” he grinned and joined the other four who occupied the table in the back.

The brunet quickly got to work and Himchan pitied him. He didn’t even have the guts to call his manager while he knew that those guys could cause some serious problems.

“Shall I call Yongguk and Ken just to be sure?” Himchan whispered but Hakyeon heavily shook his head. Having the cops to come over would only make the situation worse.

Hakyeon finished their order and Daehyun casually motioned to come and bring it. The brunet almost tripped over his own legs and Himchan was struggling not to stand up and punch the smiling maniac in the face.

“That will be ten fifty please,” Hakyeon muttered. The whole group started laughing at his words and the barista nervously bit his lower lip.

“Hongbin, I think it’s your turn to tell,” Daehyun cheerfully announced. Hakyeon was grabbed by his neck and pulled down to the eyelevel of a Cheshire with emerald eyes.

“I’m sorry handsome, but we don’t pay for anything,” Hongbin flashed a grin as he pushed Hakyeon away from him, causing the brunet to fall on the floor.

Ken and Yongguk walked into the coffee shop to see Hakyeon on the floor, trying to stand up.

“What’s going on here?” Ken helped him up and Yongguk glanced over at the table where the cheshires were drinking their coffee and quietly talking, keeping their heads down making sure that their eyes weren’t visible.

“It’s nothing, trust me. A caramel Macchiato and an Americano, right?” he smiled and went back to the bar. Himchan decided to keep quiet about the incident that had happened.

“We don’t need anything. I just came by to give you your keys, you left them at home,” Ken said and gave the keys. Hakyeon and Ken shared the apartment next to Himchan’s. That was how he met the two, by rescuing Hakyeon from being buried alive in boxes.

The journalist waved the two cops goodbye and silently started typing on his phone about the incident, it might come in handy in the future.

As the cheshires finally left with a lot of noise and smashed coffee cups the atmosphere directly cleared up, with a sigh people picked up their conversation. Himchan helped Hakyeon clean up the mess the five had made, paid for the coffee and left in the hope that he could follow the guys. Unfortunately they were gone.

“I’ll find out what you are all about, be it one way or another,” the journalist huffed and disappeared in the mass of people. He didn’t know that all that time he was being watched.

The Cheshire cat didn’t like it when someone stuck his nose in his business.

When the news reached him he was furious.

“How dares he! Nobody is allowed to know!” he decided to sent someone to keep an eye on that journalist.

When Hakyeon came home late that night he was shocked to find a window smashed and he was even more shocked to find a 17 year old rummaging through Ken’s stuff. The teen froze when he heard Hakyeon enter the room and slowly turned around, revealing his radiant jade green eyes.

 


I don't know how much the coffee would cost so simply came up with something.

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter and please comment your thoughts on it 

(I don't eat, I survive on comments) 

love y'all!