Nine

Eating is Intimate

“Are you not going to talk to me at all?” Kyungsoo laughed, nudging me in the ribs as we stopped at the red light. We were in his car on the way home after buying all the groceries and I had kept quiet since that little incident.

“What’s there to talk about?” I mumble, feeling his gaze bore onto me before it lifted from me when the light turned green.

“I don’t know, anything? Just talk to me.” His voice dropped, parts of my soul out with his drawn out breath. He did a really good job at making feel like the bad guy.

“What’s for dinner, then?” I almost felt like crying from the sheer frustration I felt whenever I was around him. Should I believe my best friend? Did he like me? ‘Just talk to me,’ sounded pretty suggestive.

I jumped when I hear Kyungsoo let out a mix of a laugh and snort, “What am I? Your mom? ‘What’s for dinner?’ That’s all you can think about? Food.”

He continued to laugh and I had to admit that I wanted to laugh along with him but he was laughing at my expense. I crossed my arms instead and stared out the window, “You asked me to talk and I did, but you’re laughing at me.”

I could see his head turn towards me, his eyes softening. He sighed and reached out to gently push my shoulder, “I’m not laughing at you. It’s just—“ Kyungsoo started to laugh again and I wanted to turn around and slap that smile off of his face.

“It’s just what?” I challenged, putting my chin in the air when he sighed for the umpteenth time.

“It’s just your reactions kill me because they’re so cute and I can’t help but laugh. I’m sorry if I upset you.”

I could feel what was left of my soul slide out of me and pool around my feet. My face felt hot and I knew I was blushing. My hands flew to my face and I whimpered into my palms when I yelled at him, “Why do you do this to me?”

I slid down in my seat and shook my head, “Why?”

“Oh my god, Jia,” He laughed but I felt him touch my shoulder, “You okay?”

“No! You’re stupid.” I leaned against his head, trapping it between my cheek and shoulder.

“I’m stupid? See this is why you make me laugh.” He admitted, his fingers tapping gently against my cheek, “Come on, Jia, let my hand go. I need to drive.”

I released his hand and brought my own hands down from my face, “Kyungsoo?”

“Yeah?”

“Do you like me?” I stared at him as he drove, his hand gripping the steering wheel a little tighter when he found me looking at him.

“Let’s put it this way, I like you the same way you like food.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When we got home, Kyungsoo stopped me before I could exit his car. He held my hand and leaned in, “Your brother is going to kill me.

“It’s okay, I know he likes my best friend so we’re kind of even.” I laughed, touching Kyungsoo’s cheek with the back of my hand. He shut his eyes and turned his head so his lips touched my fingers, “I’ve been meaning to tell you, but your brother kept telling me how much you liked Taemin.”

He looked up at me from under his eyelashes with a gaze so sweet, it reminded me of a small animal, “You don’t still like him do you?”

“Would I be here with you if I did?” I flicked his forehead and got out of the car to get the groceries.

He followed suit and met me at his trunk, “I guess not.”

“Then why are making this dinner if Taemin is coming over?” I asked, taking a few bags.

“He’s still my friend too and I like cooking.” Kyungsoo shrugged, following me into the house.

We slipped off our shoes and I yelled out for Kai to come help, “Hey, fatty! Get your out here and help get the groceries!”

I expected Kai to come bounding from the kitchen, what I didn’t expect was Lia, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun to pop out from the living room. “Hey! We heard Kyungsoo was cooking so we stopped by.” Chanyeol ruffled my hair as he and Baekhyun passed out to get the rest of the groceries.

“I came by because I thought we could go out but I thought I’d stay and enjoy the festivities.” Lia took some bags and side-eyed me and Kyungsoo, “So did you two have a date or something? Both of you look like blushing brides.”

“You could say that.” Kyungsoo passed us, but not before hitting my behind with one of the grocery bags.  He gave both of us a disarming smirk over his shoulder and I could feel Lia melt against me.

“Oh my god! I was right!” Lia slapped my arm excitedly as we walked into the house. I cringed at her sharp nails and nodded, “Yeah, yeah. You were right.”

We set the groceries down and began unloading when Kyungsoo came in with Chanyeol and Baekhyun, “Where’s Kai?”

“Probably talking with Taemin. I think he said, Taemin got tied up with his girlfriend and couldn’t make it.” Baekhyun said while sitting down in one of the barstools.

“More food for us then.” Chanyeol unloaded the bags, handing items to me since he didn’t know where anything went. I put them away with Kyungsoo’s help when Kai came into the kitchen.

“Taemin isn’t coming so I guess it’s just us,” He scanned the small space when his eyes landed on Lia, “When did you get here? Get out, I didn’t invite you. How did you even get in?”

Lia made a face and pointed her thumb at Baekhyun, “Baek, let me in and I can stay if I want, this isn’t your house.”

“It is actually. I live here.” Kai stuck his tongue out at her and walked off, leaving Lia to roll her eyes.

“Such an .” She hopped off the barstool and went to the living room followed by Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

It was quiet now with just me and Kyungsoo, but that didn’t stop the smiles on our faces when he heard Kai and Lia continue their argument in the living room.

“Want to help me?”  Kyungsoo took my hand and pulled me to his chest. He wrapped his arms around my small frame and brushed my hair from my face, “Sure, but I at cooking.”

“It’s okay, I just need you to taste stuff if I ask.” He continued to hold me and it felt so right in his arms that I never wanted him to let go.

“That, I can do.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 “Dinner’s ready!” Kyungsoo had put the final dish down on the dining table when twelve hungry bodies piled into the small space. The rest of Kai and Kyungsoo’s friends made it over when they heard that Kyungsoo would be cooking. Boys I’d never met before greeted me like I was an old friend and I raised a brow at Kai when he passed, “How do all your friends know about me?”

Kai looked over at Kyungsoo before smirking down at me, “Kyungsoo talks about you a lot.”

My eyes widened and my jaw slackened. Kai shook his head with a scoff, “What? I know my best friend. Why else do you think I offered to let him stay? I wanted to see how long he’d last before he told you anything.”

I stared at Kyungsoo from across the table as he helped serve some of the guys. He bickered with them and even hit a few of them. I laughed, leaning against my brother’s shoulder as he got a plate, “I love you, did you know that?”

Jong In handed me a plate with a chuckle, “I had a feeling you did, but I wasn’t so sure, you know, with you stealing my money and all.”

“That’s what you get for eating my waffles, you .” I bumped his hip when he bumped me back.

“It’s called sharing.”

“Fine, if we’re sharing now, then I give you permission to date my best friend.” I whispered to him with a knowing smile that left him a little speechless.

“Who said I liked her?” He challenged but I could see his eyes flicker up at Lia when Chen and Baekhyun did something to make her laugh.

“You didn’t have to say anything.”

I walked away to find Kyungsoo. The rest of the guys had all found seats in the dining room and living room, but Kyungsoo resorted to eating the kitchen by himself. “Why are you here alone?”

I set my plate beside his as we both leaned against the counter, watching the others. “I’m not alone now.” He stole some noodles off my plate and shoved it in his mouth with a grin.

I did the same, but he tried to fight me off with his chopsticks, “No you are not allowed.”

“Why not?” I continued to fight him for whatever I could grab when he caught both of my wrists in his hands.

“Kiss me first.”

The strength in my hands failed me and I dropped the chopsticks onto the ground. My whole body seemed to give way and I was at the mercy of Kyungsoo’s grip on my hands. He caught me around the waist and hoisted me up with a chuckle, “It’s just one kiss.”

I was breathless at how much had escalated within the few hours. One minute I was embarrassed to hold his hand and the next I’m even more embarrassed when he asked for a kiss. “I know but you just told me you liked me and now this, it’s all moving so fast.”

He let go of my hands and hugged me tighter, “Alright, then just a hug for now.”

Kyungsoo’s head landed on top of mine while his hands rubbed circles on my back, “I really do like you, Kim Ji Ah.”

I hid my face in his chest, just realizing how broad his shoulders were as he encased me in his warmth, “I like you too.”

“More than food?”

I couldn’t help but laugh, “Yes, even more than food.”

He pulled back to look at me and grinned, “Wow, I’m really honored.”

“You should be.” I broke the hug, only to pick up my plate and hold his hand, “Come on, let’s join the others.”

He nodded, letting me lead him over to where the others gathered. We sat down on the couch beside Kai, listening to him tell a story about his dance class. Everyone laughed at the funny parts while stuffing their faces with rice and Kyungsoo’s cooking.

I smiled as I looked at everyone leaning into each other, enjoying the other’s company while also enjoying really good food. Kyungsoo’s cooking was beyond amazing and I could see why all of his friends made the trek to come and eat it. I let my head fall against Kyungsoo’s shoulder with a blissful sigh, “We should do this more often.”

“I’m not cooking for all of these guys again.” Kyungsoo stabbed at his beef, shaking his head, “They eat way too much and don’t even help me clean up.”

“I’ll help you.” I offered, staring up at him as he smiled.

“That doesn’t change the fact I’m not doing this again.”

“Okay.” I gave up on trying to convince him, but I saw the genuine love he had for his friends each time he looked up at them when they laughed. Even if he didn’t want to admit it, he enjoyed moments like this too. I leaned against his shoulder, basking in the enjoyment of eating a good meal with people I love. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's the end! 

Sorry it took so long to finish. I hope you enjoyed it and check out my other stories.

I love you all!!

tumblr_n77zyhHbdE1s22cj3o2_250.gif305575120c57cbcf1f0f6d4bff94c51f.jpg

large.jpg