1. Us

Eyes On You

Sun.

Sunset.

A Torture.

Momentarily… man with pale skin and skinny body was hoping that the sunset will close over. Today, he woke up earlier than usual until he tired of staring at the sun going down and disappeared behind thick glass anti-ultraviolet. Once the sun was completely gone, he ready to leave.

Since he was a kid, he already familiar with the night world. Without being able to resist, he was enjoying it. But even though its kinda lonely, he tried to fill it with melodies.

That night, he got a chance to play in café. As an accompanist. So far he has only played in open places and alone. But this time, he want to try a new atmosphere... and... try to get a friend.

“Sunggyu-hyung!”

The older man looked at the café’s owner.

“This is Nam Woohyun,” Dongwoo said as he introduced a man he believed to be the vocalist café. He was met him before dan he is the reason why he want to work in this place. He thought he can be a friend with this guy and he like him at the first sight. That wasn’t mean he love him, its just because he like his voice and he found something special with this guy.

The young man smiled at him.

“Eo... Sunggyu, Kim Sunggyu.” He shook Woohyun’s hand and staring at him.

“Bangapseumnida, Sunggyu-hyung.”

 

It really easy for Sunggyu to get along himself with Woohyun. The young man knows how to comfort the older and how to communicate. Plus he really enjoyed being partner with Woohyun. And couldn’t avoid, several visitors were attracted with they perform. They loved it.

“What made you interested to work as accompanist here, Hyung?”

”The place is quiet and away from the crowds,” Sunggyu said.

Probably Woohyun doesn’t know, but Sunggyu always see the face of the young man since first they meet today. One thing that make ​​him curious.

“Why did I never hear your voice before?”

Sunggyu frowned. “What's wrong with my voice?”

“Ah... I mean. I often hear a lot of noise in this place and I’ve never heard your voice before. So I think you must be a newcomer here.”

Sunggyu also get answers of his curiosity.

“Hyung?”

“Woohyun-ah, I want be your personal guide.”

 

Day by day, Sunggyu and Woohyun became close friends in just a few days. Every night, they met in café and entertained the audience as always. After that, Sunggyu will invite Woohyun driving around Seoul.

First, Woohyun refuse Sunggyu’s offer to be his personal guide. Just because his disability, doesn’t mean he needs compassion from others. He has proven that he can do everything by himself now. He can proven that he is not a burden. He could come to café without the help of anyone, although he cant be separated with his cane that always accompany his steps.

But over time, he enjoys time with Sunggyu every night before they back home. Usually they will just chatting in café and sometimes Sunggyu will teach him how to play the guitar with patient until dawn. And lately Sunggyu will invite him enjoy the night together. After that Sunggyu would ended their conversation before sun rise.

“Woohyun-ah, are you not tired?”

“Tired?”

“Every day. You have to work to stay up until dawn.“

“Aniyo. I just doing activity at night. Hahaha, sounds like a vampire, isn’t it?”

Sunggyu looked at him, “You mean... You always break during the day?”

“Not really. It’s just, I like the atmosphere. Night is much quieter and easier for me to recognize sounds around me. You know, I can only guessing from the sound of movement and also feel the movement around me. So it would be easier if the atmosphere away from the crowds.”

“Ah... Nado. It feels more comfortable to do it all at night. The sun makes me suffer...”

Woohyun laughed, “Are you a vampire just like me, Hyung?"

“It could be said so.” Sunggyu smiled a little.

 

“What you used to do when get bored?”

“Hmm... Singing? Playing guitar?”

“Play a song for me.”

“What will I get if I sing?”

Woohyun mumbling, “Hmm... A present?”

“A present… like what?”

Woohyun mumbling again, “Hmmm... free voucher to be my personal guide?”

“Eiiyyy... what the benefit.”

“You offered me at the first time we met. I just offered it back. Moreover, Hyung is the one who want to be close with me,” Woohyun chuckled. “Hyung-ah, do you like me, huh?”

“HUH?”

“So you like me... Hmm~~ I see.”

“Yaa!! Don’t randomly concluded!”

“Arraseo arraseo arraseo. I can hear it very clearly, hyung. How the sounds of your heart were yelling 'Nam Woohyun, Saranghae' all the time.”

“Yaa! Nam Woohyun!”

Woohyun laughed.

 

“Dongwoo-hyung cant stop crying watching the old movie.”

“What movie?”

“Romeo & Juliet.”

Sunggyu laughed, “Dongwoo?”

“Nee. He even advised me to watch that movie. Babo, Is he forgot that I cant watch that.”

“So you never watch a movie?”

What a stupid question. Woohyun shook his head and didn’t want talk something related to his blindness.

A few days later, Sunggyu gave something to him.

“What is this?”

“Present.”

“A present?”

“Eo.”

“My birthday is still far away.”

“Let's just say it was a ‘thank you’ gift from me.”

“Eiiyy... Are you take a wrong medicine, hyung? How odd.”

Woohyun opened the box and felt the contents of the gift. “What is this?”

“Recorder.”

Sunggyu took the recorder and click the start button to play.

“Eo? Its…”

“Yea. I record it for you. I think you’re curios about the story of Romeo & Juliet, so I recorded it. Just pretend it as a bedtime story. How?”

Woohyun speechless.

 

“Hyung, where are we going?”

“Almost there…”

“You’re not planning for doing something bad to me, right?”

“How did you know?”

Woohyun pouts, “instinct.”

“Nice try.” Sunggyu’s answer makes Woohyun chuckled.

Nevertheless, Woohyun letting the older man handheld his hands and led him to a place. After a long walk, he begin to heard the waves of the ocean rustling and the wind softly against his body. He also begin to smell the aroma of sea.

“Woaahh... Hyung, you must be kidding.”

Sunggyu smiled in meaning, “Aniyo.”

Woohyun getting clutched and shook the man's hand impatiently, “Hurry! Hurry! I can’t wait!”

“Take your shoes off first.”

Woohyun release the grip it and immediately took off his shoes. Sunggyu do the same.

In the middle of the night, both of them with no regard for the cold sea water at the time, playing and enjoying time together under the moon. Nothing can stop them. Even when their whole body was wet, laughter and all the jokes that resonates, makes them want to enjoy the time more and more. Together.

 

“Hyung, let's go to the beach. Seeing the sunrise!”

Sunggyu frowns, doesnt like the idea.

“Don’t want.”

Woohyun frowns. “Why?”

“Just don’t want.”

“Just look at the sunrise, hyung. Why you don’t want?”

Sunggyu didnt answer, avoid the conversation instead, “I’ve got a new song, do you want to hear?”

The older man begin to play the guitar and picking a few key tone there, but Woohyun immediately clasp his right hand to stop the older. “Hyung, come on...” Woohyun try to persuasion using his aegyo.

“I have a good record, yesterday—“

“Sunrise.”

“I can take you to a place that—“

“Sunrise.”

Doesn’t have another reason, Sunggyu lazyly responded. “Why do you want to see the sun rise?”

Woohyun smiled broadly, “I want to see it with Hyung. We dont have to go to sea again, anywhere as long as I could see the sunrise with you.”

“We can go somewhere more interest instead to see the sun,” Sunggyu evasive.

“But I want to see it with you, Hyung!”

“Don’t want.”

“Why?”

“Why don’t you go with someone else?”

“I want you.”

“That's why I said we could go—“

“I don’t want else than to see the sun together!”

Woohyun fierce desire sparked Sunggyu’s anger. “Whats the interest of seeing the sun?! You can’t even see!”

Woohyun instantly silence. Sunggyu looked sorry for say so. He could clearly see Woohyun’s expression. Obviously the younger was angry. He should know, he doesn’t have to involve all that by leveraging the weaknesses of Woohyun. Woohyun obviously hate when someone starts to put him down because he is blind.

Both were remain in silent and busy with their own thoughts. Obviously, Sunggyu were very sorry to said so. Woohyun expression really makes him regret.

But he thought he was not entirely wrong. He has offered to go somewhere else together and he bet that his offer is more fun than seeing the sun that slowly can abused him. Woohyun shouldn’t be selfish, just think about himself.

“Whatever, I want to go home now.” Woohyun leave and disappeared behind the door out of the café. Leave him alone.