Chapter Seven

In Your Eyes

“Byunghun?” Naeul’s eyes fluttered open and she felt her surroundings. She was in bed and she could hear muffled orders and sounds of illness. She called out for the person who she needed most in her state of panic. There was no response and she panicked more. She tore away the blankets and got ready to search for him but she felt his limp hand on her bed.

She felt her way up his arm and toward his face. His breaths were even and she could sense that he was fast asleep. Comfort and relief washed over her and she lied back down. Things were unclear and hazy in her head. But all she needed to know was that Byunghun was fine and was with her.

Naeul turned and lied on her side and she lazily searched for his hand. When her fingertips grazed his rough ones, she gently slid her hand under his and grasped it. She closed her eyes and let the warmth of his spread throughout her body. Every once in a while, she used her other hand to lightly touch his face or draw random shapes and patterns on the back of his hand.

What would I do without you? You’ve got me wrapped around your finger. How am I supposed to go on in life without you beside me? What have you done to me? I feel like I own the world when I’m with you even when we’re staring danger in the eyes. But I feel as though the world is ending when you’re not with me.

“Byunghun, I love you.”

<< >>

L.Joe never thought hearing those words would break his heart. This girl loved him and he always put her in danger. She stuck by his side through thick and thin. He didn’t deserve her. He didn’t deserve to meet her and take her heart to call his. What did she see in him? Out of all of the men in this world, what was so special about him?

He lied still and kept his eyes closed as he thought things through. What was he going to do with Naeul?

L.Joe sat up and saw Naeul fast asleep. She was curled up and she gripped his hand as if she were about to be dragged away into the deepest pits of Hell. He brushed her hair away from her face and as he stared at her pale face, he knew what he had to do. For her, anything.

He rested his back onto the bed and watched her sleep as if she didn’t have a care in the world. And from now on, she wouldn’t have to worry about anything. He wouldn’t either. What good was he doing running around acting irresponsible and putting her danger? It was time to give up his troublesome life and move on to a brighter and safer future with Naeul right by his side. He couldn’t live without her and the only way to love her and keep her in his arms was to live a cleaner life.

Naeul, I promise you that from now on, I’ll only do good things. I won’t worry you anymore. I won’t hurt you any longer. So, stay with me until the end of time because you keep me sane. You keep my heart from withering away. You make sure that my mind is set on the right path. I need you so stay with me forever.

“Naeul, my Naeul, I love you.”

<< >>

L.Joe coughed at the harsh impact. His back hurt and he could barely breathe. The doctors and nurses tried to pull him away but his grip was too strong. Naeul was pleading her father to release L.Joe, to stop hurting him.

“You put my daughter in the hospital! Look at her! I told you two not to see each other anymore!”

“Dad! Stop, you’re hurting him!”

“He hurt you! It’s his fault!”

“Dad, please, I love him. Stop it!”

L.Joe struggled to catch his breath when he fell to the ground after her father loosened his grip on L.Joe’s collar. He watched the father and daughter talk tearfully. Naeul couldn’t live without him and her father didn’t care. She needed him or else she wouldn’t be able to go on with her life. He was worried about her safety. She defended L.Joe, declaring that he hadn’t put her in any danger. She exclaimed that it was her choice to get involved. She loved him. She loved him. She loved him. She loved him.

Her father was at a loss for words when she got on her knees on her bed and cried in front of him. He couldn’t say no any longer. She was truly in love with L.Joe and it would only hurt her to keep her away from him.

“Promise me that you’ll keep her out of harm’s way.”

Her father hugged her and told her that he was sorry that he didn’t want to lose someone another person he loved. L.Joe stood up and her father looked him in the eyes and willingly allowed L.Joe into his family.