Prologue: To Buy, Or Not To Buy

In Your Eyes

To buy, or not to buy, that is the question. This broccoli doesn’t seem fresh enough. Maybe I should come back next time. But then again, I really want to eat broccoli soup tonight. Why, oh why, is this decision so difficult? If I buy it, it probably won’t taste good enough. But if I don’t buy it, I won’t be able to eat what I want. So, to buy, or not to buy, that is the question.

Man, at times like this, I wish I could see what I was buying. For all I know, I could be buying chemically altered foods. Oh! Maybe I can just eat tomato soup. Or maybe some cookies. No! Jung Naeul, you promised yourself that you wouldn’t eat junk food anymore. But it does sound nice. No! I must stick to a healthy diet and meal plan.

From the way she acted, you couldn’t tell that Jung Naeul was disabled. But once you saw her up close and saw how her eyes never really focused on anything in particular, you could tell right away that she was blind. How she became blind was a story that no one knew and never really bothered to ask because frankly, they didn’t care. Who would? A blind girl wasn’t capable of doing anything right. Wrong. Naeul had her own systems and methods of surviving. She made sure no one took advantage of her tiny handicap. Like the cashier who rung her up when she grabbed anything she needed.

“That’ll be 25000 won.” And she handed him just that. She knew she did. But this punk told her otherwise. Telling her she didn’t hand him enough cash. She scoffed and she was about to tell him off but he stuttered an apology which, to her, was confusing.

Yeah, that’s right, you little poophead. You better apologize to me. Think you can tell me I’m wrong just because I can’t see. Punk.

Naeul had a proud smile on her face as she snatched up her bags full of somewhat fresh produce and confidently marched out of the market…until the tip of her shoe got caught on the uneven ground and she tripped, causing her bags to fall right out of her arms. But instead of complaining and hiding her face in embarrassment, she got right back up and picked up her bags, which to her luck, were just the way they were before she tripped. She laughed “evilly” at the sky, talking about how no one could mess with her in a malicious, yet joking, voice.

All the while, someone watched her, no, watched over her. He stepped out of the market with an entertained look on his face. He was glad that she wasn’t hurt and was just doing her thing her way. Whistling, he followed her while keeping a safe distance, and when he saw that she was safe inside of the comfort of her own home, he walked all the way to the other end of town to his own home: a rundown and crumbling building. If it were any other day, he would have been miserable to be back home but today wasn’t like any other day. So smiling like an idiot, he entered his shabby home and plopped right onto his bed, hands behind his head and his feet dangling off of the edge of the bed.

Does the broccoli intrigue you? You’ve been holding it for quite some time. Are you debating? Do you need help? Please, tell me you need help because I’m willing to help you. Wow, I never knew I sounded so desperate. What the hell is wrong with you L.Joe? Get ahold of yourself, man. She probably doesn’t even remember who you are. Wait, where did she go? Damn it, it’s all your fault, L.Joe. You couldn’t snap out of it and now you don’t know where she went.

There she is! Does she want cookies? Maybe she likes sweet stuff. I should buy some and give it to her. No, I should bake them myself but then again, I’ll probably just light my house on fire. Why does she have to look to adorable when she’s thinking? What have you done to me, Jung Naeul?

Oh, she’s on the move again. Back to the broccoli, ey? I guess she likes her vegetables. Maybe she’s into healthy foods. Dang it! Why is she moving so quickly? What the? It’s that rotten kid from school. He better not try to do anything to Naeul.

“I need more money?” “It’s not the right amount?” Are you blind? What are you looking at, dumb-? Yeah, that’s right! You better apologize to Naeul. Think you can get away with trying to trick her? Well, let’s just see about that when I see you at school tomorrow. Freaking idiot.

Oh crap! She fell! What do I do? Do I run out and help- Or I guess she can get up on her own. And go on like nothing just happened. Has she always been so confident? Has she always acted like nothing bothers her? Oh, Jung Naeul, you never fail to make me smile.

And that’s all he did, smile. It was something that he never did but when he had his first encounter with her, he could never stop smiling. If he thought about her, he smiled. If her name came up, he smiled. If he saw her, he smiled and he felt as if his heart was going to burst with joy. Even if she never really looked at him or knew that he was there, he was still happy knowing that he was with her. Well, just in the same area as her. But it was enough for him.

Things were starting to look up and it all because of her. He thought he had been a saint in his past life because he had been blessed to be near an angel. Jung Naeul was his savior. She helped him find his old self. She helped him rediscover Lee Byunghun.

Good night, Jung Naeul. See you in my dreams. I hope you see me in yours.

///

A/N: I'm trying something not so depressing or angsty like all of my other fanfics.