Chapter Two

In Your Eyes

Maybe I left it at Grandma Park’s house. Crap, I did leave it at her house. Should I go get it? But it so late? And daddy wouldn’t be pleased. But I need it. Stupid Naeul. Why did you have to forget your braille book at Grandma Park’s house? Wait, she won’t even be awake at this time. But maybe she will. What do I do? What do I do? I guess I’ll just go get it.

Naeul carefully walked through the crumbling neighborhood and hoped that the old lady would be awake. She was tried not to make much noise because she knew that the walls were always thin in this neighborhood. She got into trouble last time when she set off a series of noise. But she never really had much luck in that department.

She wasn’t paying close enough attention and didn’t feel the difference in vibration through her cane. She knocked over an empty bottle of soju in the street and the shattering noise caused a few dogs to wake up and bark in annoyance. Then, a few people came out and protested at the noise. She tried to slink off but someone grabbed her by the shoulder and swiveled her around.

They yelled at her more when she accidentally hit them with her white cane. She could sense that she was in a lot of trouble but she didn’t feel their wrath. Instead, she felt someone pulling her back. She stood there waiting for something to happen but all she heard were a few groans and curse words and then silence. She heard someone approaching her and she quickly got ready to hit them.

“I think I’ve paid off my debt. You saved me, I saved you. We’re even, right?” Mr. L.Joe. Thank goodness. I thought it was some creep.

“We’re even. Thanks.”

“What are you doing out here at this time?”

“I was on my way to Grandma Park’s house.”

Why is she going to her house this late at night? She better not be ordering around this girl. That old hag needs to learn how to do things on her own. Jeez.

“Why?”

“Why do you want to know?”

“Maybe I can make sure you don’t cause any more trouble.”

“Why do you care if I cause trouble?”

“Because this is my neighborhood.”

This guy thinks I’m a bundle of trouble, doesn’t he? But he is pretty fun to talk to.

“I left my braille book at her house and I need it for school.” Braille book. Got it. She doesn’t seem like she’s blind though. The way she acts and talks doesn’t seem like a blind person.

“So, are you going to make sure I don’t cause trouble or what?”

“Let’s go.”

Things were silent for a few minutes but Naeul began to pry.

“What did you do to get those people to shut up?”

“They saw what I did to the people who were about to hit you.”

“What did you do to them?

“I hit them. A lot.”

“Are you good at hitting people?”

“You can say that.”

“How old are you?”

“Twenty.”

“You’re older than me by two years.”

“So?”

“I’m just saying. Do fight a lot?”

“Why?”

“Just wondering.”

“Why are you asking me so many questions?”

“Because I can. Wait here, I heard that Grandma Park doesn’t like you that much.”

“So what if she does.”

“I don’t want her killing you.”

Why do you care if she kills me or not? You shouldn’t care, Naeul. You really shouldn’t.

“I’m back. I did not expect her to be awake. She looks a bit creepy at night.”

“Why are you so carefree?”

“I don’t know. I just am.”

“You do realize it’s not safe to hang out with strangers, right?”

“You’re not a stranger. You’re L.Joe.”

“You’ve got guts to talk so informally.”

“Whatever. Are you going to take me home or not?”

There’s something wrong with her. Why is she so casual around me? She doesn’t even know me.

Nonetheless, L.Joe walked her home and received a glare from her father. He could hear him talking to Naeul. Asking her why she couldn’t have waited until tomorrow or why she didn’t ask him to go with her. He asked why L.Joe was with her. And she said it was because she liked him.