Chapter Nine

In Your Eyes

What if it changes everything? What if it somehow messes up everything I have with Byunghun? What if I don’t like the way the world looks? What if I hate everything I see? What if Byunghun actually likes me being blind? What if I’m super ugly? What if I change the way I look and Byunghun hates it? What am I going to do? Should I not go through with the operation? The doctors did say that it might not work out. But what if does and everything is beautiful? But then again, what if it isn’t? I hate how I can’t stop asking questions.

“What are you thinking about?”

Naeul sighed and to her side. She squirmed closer to Byunghun and buried her face into his bare chest. She mumbled her concerns and worries. And he chuckled.

“It’s not funny.”

“You’re so cute. There’s nothing to worry about.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. If anyone should be worried, it’s me.”

“Why?”

“What if you think I’m ugly?”

“You’re not ugly. Your heart is too kind for you to be ugly.”

Byunghun wrapped his arm around her waist and kissed the top of her head as if to tell her that she wouldn’t be disappointed.

<< >>

She hadn’t realized how quickly time had passed until it she was in her hospital gown, getting prepped for the operation. Her father and Byunghun stayed with her as long as they could before the doctors stopped them at the double doors.

They sat together in silence and waited for the light to switch off.

“She used to run around with a disposable camera and take pictures of everything. When she lost her vision and her mother, she felt so lost. She stopped living. She pretended to be okay but I could tell that she lost hope in everything. She forgot about what the world held. She used her hands and white cane to feel everything but she didn’t see it. She visualized it all but it meant nothing to her. When she met you, she saw the world again. She saw it as if she were little with a camera in her hands. She could see the colors and the excitement. But I was so afraid that she would be disappointed. I still am. But I know that if she’s with you, she’ll only see the good things in life.”

Naeul’s father patted Byunghun’s shoulder and for the rest of the night, they sat in silence.

<< >>

When she woke up, she couldn’t see a thing. Her face felt smothered and she just wanted to see if she could see again. Naeul tried to take the bandages off of her face but a hand reached out and stopped her.

“You need to keep those on for a while.”

“Byunghun.”

“They said your eyes need to heal up a little before you can open your eyes.”

“Where’s my dad?”

“He stepped out for some fresh air.”

“I want to see you guys.”

Byunghun chuckled and patted her head. He wanted her to see him, too. Waiting for the bandages to come off would be torture for both of them. But he knew that all good things came after some patience.