Five

Binary Realities

And among all the people passing by with confident looks on their faces, there were sure to be some whose hearts weighed down by family matters, sickness, irreversible mistakes and other grave things unfathomable by the human heart.


"So we meet again. Choi Haerin, Park Chanyeol."


Yoomi froze at the familiarity of the name.
 

"Choi Haerin?" Yoomi turned towards the female whom she finally recognised, still in a daze at the male standing in front of her.


"You are Choi Haerin?"


Haerin looked nothing like how she was during high school, the innocent bare-faced girl now learnt to doll herself up, now looking like a true blossoming young woman. Shivers ran down Yoomi's spine as her fingers quivered.
 

"Miss Jung, she's the interviewee." The staff at the counter informed.
 

"Oh, okay." Yoomi gave a bitter laugh, seeing that the trio knew each other beforehand. "So there's no need for any introductions right?"


"Please come with me Miss Choi. Mr Park and Mr Lu too."
 

They entered an airy office overlooking the buzzing street below. The room was spacious and empty, with only a long black table in the middle where they settled down.
 

"I'm Jung Yoomi, the art director of Goth but please call me Yoomi." Yoomi flipped through her documents, continuing. "I've been informed that Goth will be having a collaboration between Lotte and Menik. We will be working together on the Seoul Annual Art Exhibition also known as SAAE coming up in two months." 


"Lotte is well known in the commerce industry whereas Menik is famous in the arts sector. By the way, Mr Lu, congratulations for winning the Blue Dragon Film Awards, I must say it's an amazing film made. I look forward to working with the two representatives."


"Luhan will do." 


"Chanyeol, please." 
 

"Miss Jung, the coffee's ready." The secretary entered the room and brought in a tray of coffee.


"Thank you." Haerin mumbled to which the secretary flashed a smile.


"May I ask," Chanyeol interrupted the silence, a question stuck in his throat for the past 15 minutes.


"What is Miss Choi doing here?"


"Oh," Yoomi finally noticed the girl sitting quietly in a corner, trailing off. "Right, I almost forgot."


"I'm looking for an exhibition coordinator in Goth, we're actually lacking of staff as of late." Yoomi brought out an interview paper. 


"Miss Choi, I understand that you're currently 21 which certainly isn't a problem since we are of the same age."
 

Haerin's eyes widened, both out of shock that at such a young age was Yoomi an art director and at their similarity in age.
 

"But may I ask to which university did you graduate from and your degree..."
 

"I'm sorry but I've never attended one."
 

A suffocating silence filled the room in an instant, the the slow typing of keyboards and printers beeping outside could be heard.
 

"Pardon?"
 

Haerin took another breath, "I've never attended a university."


Luhan looked shocked for a moment but regained his composure. He looked over to Yoomi who had not a hint of surprise on her face.


"I see. But can you do anything to prove that your capability in the job?"


"I'm sure Miss Choi here has more th-"


"You're looking for an exhibition coordinator right?" Haerin questioned, cutting Chanyeol off. "Mr Park, could you pass me a piece of paper and pen?"


Chanyeol was still for a moment before regaining his senses and rose from his seat to bring back the items requested.


"Thank you. Miss Jung, can you name me three artists?"


Yoomi feeling weird out knit her eyebrows. But nonetheless, she recited like a mantra what Haerin requested.


"Pablo Picasso, Seund Ja Rhee, Yoomo Nara."


Haerin quickly got to work, folding the paper into three sections she began to scribble words after words. After a good 20 minutes of silence and awkward glances, she finally raised her head and slid the paper across to Yoomi.


"I've listed down all the works of the artists."


Yoomi clenched the paper tightly in her hands, the corners crumpled as she scanned it. It was expected, after all it was Choi Haerin. Each and every piece of the artist's work was listed neatly under their categorised sections. She knew Haerin was more than qualified but.


Yoomi's lips curved into a smile, folding the interview paper along with Haerin's list.


"I'm sure you're more than qualified to do the job Miss Choi but I believe that a person with a degree would better."


"Oh." Haerin uttered, not knowing what to say. "Okay."


After all, it wasn't her first rejection and she has done her best to feel embarassed by the fact that she is not a degree holder.


"Would you please excuse us for our meeting? Close the door before you leave, thank you."


As Haerin was about to stand up and leave the suffocating office, Luhan finally spoke for the second time.


"I don't see a degree holder being better at the job if she can list down all the works of all the artists you've mentioned at random." his voice filled with power and sarcasm. "If you're not going to hire her, that would be a terrible waste of talent."


The atmosphere was cold in the bright airy office, where the sounds of hippie music blaring from the shops down the streets could be heard. Haerin's face was a mixture of confusion and displeasure because Luhan was actually speaking up for her.


It was a terrible contradiction. Yoomi stared down at her paper, fingers clenched. Chanyeol bit his lips, anticipating what was to come next. Luhan leaned back against the chair and crossed his feet.


"Right, Miss Jung?"


"Why then," Yoomi continued, as she raised her head with a stiff smile, "You hire her?"


"If you find her so much of a talent, then why not put you put her in your team."


Chanyeol slammed a palm on the table, the resounding smack drifting in the room. "I object." 


"I don't see a problem if she's going to be in my team," Luhan shrugged, a smirk spreading wide on his face as he eyed Chanyeol whose outburst was about to tip. "Do you, Chanyeol?"


"Well if there's no problem then we can start the meeting proper. Sit back down Miss Choi."


"But I-" Haerin was cut off before she could object. Sighing, she sat back onto the hard chair.


"This year's SAAE theme is SOUL CITY. We'll be collaborating with various artists in Korea to sieve out art pieces that can best represent the spirit of Seoul. In addition, the directors have decided that both Lotte and Menik will present new art pieces specially designed for the event and we would  then conduct a vote for the piece to be the main focus during SAAE week."


"With this the two representatives, Chanyeol and Luhan would be split into two teams."


Yoomi paused, looking at the two males, "I'd be representing Lotte for the main painting as requested by CEO Park. So I hope that Menik would find a representative soon."


"If there's no questions, then I'll dismiss the meeting." Yoomi packed up her documents, "Chanyeol, could you follow me to my office? There's still details that needs to be discussed." 


Not waiting for his reply, she left the room clicking away in her Prada heels. Rather than a request, it was an order.


"I'll call you later." Chanyeol whispered to Haerin, before mouthing to Luhan, 


"I'm watching you."


"I wasn't stalking you, ya'know." Luhan leaned back against his chair, shrugging. "I don't see why you're so paranoid."


"Seriously, I don't want to work with you." Haerin said, before muttering under her breath, "Just breathing in the same air as you disgusts me."


"Awww, come on. It's going to be fun!"


"I'll tell Miss Jung I'm going to reject this offer." 


Haerin stood up, only to be pulled back down by the wrist. Luhan's eyes were gleaming with mischievous, a smile spreading across his face.


"Let's play a game. If you win, you can reject this offer. But if I win, you have to work with me."


"Oh please," Haerin rolled her eyes.


"So Choi Haerin is scared of losing huh?"


"Who says so?"


"I'll be fair, you can decide the game." Luhan offer was teasing Haerin as she scanned the room, thinking.


"See that Rubik's cube over there?" she said, the cube sitting atop the drawers. Picking up the crushed paper by Miss Jung, she flipped it over and took out a pen. "If you can complete the cube before I finish a portrait of you, you win."


"Has the game started?" Luhan smirked, seeing that Haerin was furiously at work now, head bent over the paper. He sauntered over the cube, playing it around his fingers. "Are you sure?"

 

Haerin was so sure that such a wealthy person like Luhan would not know how to fix a Rubik's cube, let alone know what's that. This experience came from seeing Chanyeol fiddle with the cube for over two hours with not a single side pieced. When Haerin was almost completing the portrait, down to his lips. A hand placed the cube in her vision, halting her from drawing.


She was taken in for a shock, right in front of her was a perfect six sided Rubiks. The fact that she was so sure that Luhan could not play a Rubiks cube had failed her terribly.


"I've never known that playing the Rubiks cube could be so helpful."


Luhan shrugged, pulling a chair to sit beside Haerin, folding his arms.


"You lost right?"


"Well,"

Yes, Haerin hated him but she wasn't someone to break a promise. Moreover, the fact that she has applied for this job was because Eunah said the pay here was good. And if they were to hire her, that would be a great help to her artist career.


Haerin let out a cough and got up from her seat, despising the fact that they are in the same room.


"I'll be here at ten tomorrow."


As she was about to step out of the room.


"Wait," a voice called out.


"Can I have that portrait?"

 


"Good... very good." The director mumbled under his breath, eyes never leaving the monitor. He stood up in excitement, fingers squeezing the script in his hands. It was the of the scene.


"Please," the male caught the lady in blue dress by the wrist. The camera focused on the female's expression, a tear slipped from her right eye.


"I need you."


He turned the female around in a single move and pulled her into a needy long kiss filled with bitter emotions.


"Cut!" The director shouted. "That's a wrap up for today. Good job, Jongdae and MinHee."


At the shout of the wrap up, the two actors pulled away from one another and murmured a 'Good work for today.'
The staffs immediately went into action, packing the equipments in a hurried manner. Jongdae watched as the equipments were pulled away from the set and the blinding lights shutting down one after another. He always wondered what took them so long to set things up but when it's time for a wrap up, their speed similar to one of a bullet train. Two female coordinators ran towards Jongdae, one handing him a mineral bottle and the other wiping away his sweat.


He exited the set and headed for the waiting room, expecting it to be empty at this timing. It was already 11.30pm. To his surprise, he found a male figure sitting with arms crossed before one of the mirrors. The makeup artist was hard at work, the male's face now looked like a piece of artwork waiting to be hung up and displayed. He looked so different compared to when he was in Artieme.


"Jongdae."


"Hey." Jongdae replied, slouching back onto the armchair beside him.


"Tough day huh?"


"Yeah," Jongdae's voice came out as a hoarse whisper. An impending sore throat, he took a mental note.


"What about you?"


"A photoshoot." the male chilly replied, pursing his lips for the makeup artist.


"Minseok." Jongdae frowned, a mystery unsolved in his head that demands to be answered.


"You have a stable job but why are you still working in the club?"


Never once has Jongdae exposed Minseok. Two years ago when Artieme first opened, Jongdae was taken in for surprise that the male bartender everyone was raving about was actually his colleague, whom he've worked with for a couple of shoots and his music videos. But he kept mum and pretended not to recognise him. Calling him Xiumin, like everyone else did.


Minseok was one of Korea's top model. His height was nothing to boast about compared to male models who were on average, almost a head taller than him, even more so if he didn't wear insoles. But Minseok's huge chestnut brown eyes and feminine features made him rose to fame. Minseok was sweet and cute, tough and manly all packed into a single body. Females loved him, were jealous of him and adored him. The epitome of everything they looked for in a partner. Wherever he went, whatever he did, Minseok was constantly watched by people's intense gazes. He was always standing in the spotlight for as long as he could remember.


But Xiumin.
Xiumin was nothing like Minseok. Xiumin was a quiet laid back boy whose sole love in life was mixing drinks. He loved to come up with unique mixes based on the first impression the customers gave him, and he was rarely. Or never wrong. His favourite pastime was watching people's animal instincts come to live on the dancefloor when the bar was empty. Xiumin was a person hidden behind the spotlight.
 

Minseok laughed, brushing the makeup artist away. He tousled his hair, turning his head side to side to check that he looked perfect. A model's disease Jongdae concluded. Even himself, both a singer and actor couldn't escape from such a perfection disease. He sat patiently, eyes closed and fingers tapping to the melodic music playing, waiting for Minseok's reply. He could hear the clicking of shoes and the creaking of the door before a voice spoke.


"It's no fun to live a single identity."
 


"It's been a long time since you've come here."


"Oh please, I'm busy with that stupid collaboration." Luhan rolled his eyes as he pulled a chair. Jongdae of all people should know better.
"Anyway, what's my personal butler up to these days?"


Jongdae knew Luhan by heart. He reads him like an open book. Just by Luhan's expression would he know what the boy was up to. After all, they grew up like inseparable twins.


Luhan certainly wasn't just busy. Because no matter how busy Luhan was, he wouldn't give Artieme a miss.


"Wasn't it peaceful that I was away from your life for a week or two? Or did you miss me?" Jongdae gave a soft chuckle, the martini twirling in his fingers. "Y'know I'm busy making money for your old man. It's going to be a hit, or so the writer said. Catch me on SBS."
 

"Oh, right."


"I heard that Choi Haerin is working under you."


"Yeah." Luhan already expected Jongdae to know every single minute detail. Since when did Sehun's big mouth ever shut up? 


"Are you so intrigued by her to keep her by your side?"


"No." Luhan's denial was sharp and fast. "She's just, interesting to watch."


"Menik comes first." Jongdae's warm palm landed on Luhan's back soothingly, just like how he used to comfort him in the greenhouse of the large mansion, their secret hideout.


"You know what the old man wants right?"


Luhan shifted uneasily away from Jongdae, avoiding his eyes. "I know what I'm doing."


"Besides, she's just another plaything."



"Seriously, why am I helping you with this?" she grumbled. "It's your wedding, not mine."


It was repetitive. Picking up the card, shoving it into the letter and seal it tight before throwing it into a box full of white letters, just like the one in her hands.


"Be careful not to dent the edges." Eunah ignored Haerin's nagging for the umpteen time.
 

The four sat in the living room of Tao's villa where they were busy sorting out wedding invitations and putting them into letters, ready to be delivered.


"Last one." Chanyeol announced, a single invitation waving in his hands as he dropped it inside the box full of letters.


Tao sealed it up with tape and wrote a yellow note: To be delivered tomorrow


The wedding date was set three months away from now. A plentiful of time for Tao and Eunah to prepare for their wedding.


"So," Tao started, a mischievous smile on his lips. "How's work?"


"Bad." Chanyeol stated.


"Very, very bad." Haerin continued.


"I told you not to work there." 
 

Haerin raised her voice slightly at Chanyeol's tone. "That's not up to you to decide."


"Geez," Tao pulled Chanyeol closer to him, pitying him. "He's only trying to help."


"Oh really?" Haerin folded her arms, ever ready for a debate. "I don't see that as helping."


"Enough of it, you lovebirds," Eunah held out her hands, separating Chanyeol and Haerin. It wasn't the first time they've almost got into an argument for Haerin working in Goth. Actually, it was the 2nd time this week and the 8th time since the start of her work. Chanyeol was just a worrier and Haerin could not understand from his point of view.


"We are not lovebirds." they mused together.


"Yeah, yeah." Eunah rolled her eyes knowing better as she dragged and pushed the duo out the villa as soon as the work was completed. "Now off you go. Thanks for the hard work."


She waved a small goodbye before slamming the door shut. A sharp cold wind blew onto Haerin's face from the impact and she let out a large scoff at her friend's ungratefulness.


"Tch, ungrateful wench."


As soon as the sentence was spoken, a shoe landed on Haerin's head, 3 more on the cold hard pavement thrown from inside the villa. It was their shoes. Haerin clutched her loafer tightly in her hands, her anger almost tipping over.


"Oops." a voice sang out from behind the fence.
 

"YAH LEE EUN AH! SO MUCH FOR HELPING YOU HUH. YOU'LL REGRET THIS! I SWEAR I'LL THRASH YOUR WEDDING."


Chanyeol bit his lips to prevent himself from letting out a chuckle. The passerbys on the streets were giving them, no. Haerin weird glances at her outburst.


"That stupid girl." 


"They probably want some alone time." Chanyeol shrugged as he picked up his shoes, pointing in the direction of his villa. "Let's go?"


Haerin punched in the pin number of his villa and the door beeped, opening itself. Chanyeol no longer lived in his parents' mansion ever since heaping large profits off Artieme. He claimed that he was no longer a kid who needs his parents' protection and made the decision to buy this villa which was only about 10 minutes walk from Artieme's. And of course, since Chanyeol knew nothing about interior design and had no specific preference, Haerin was the one who designed the house.


It was three storeys high. Built up like lego blocks, the warm orange lights from inside the villa shone against the ceiling to floor windows, something that Haerin has always loved. She decided, since Chanyeol was living alone, the first storey to be his living room and open spaced kitchen. His 82 inch LCD stood before the red suede sofa, a contrast to the white marble floor. In a corner was his personal collection of books he loved where they would sit together occasionally engulfed by the world of books. Up the stairs with wooden floor tiles against white washed walls was his bedroom. His bed faced the windows overlooking the pool below. And on the wall of his bedroom, was, a photograph convincing anyone who visited that he was a married man. Blown up in huge proportion was a picture of them, together. It was a year ago at their parents' 40th anniversary in the mansion where Chanyeol was gazing lovingly at Haerin, a hand wrapped around her waist, while she had a smirk hung on her cherry red lips.


And on the third, it was off limits to anyone except himself and Haerin. In the empty room hung canvases. Not one or two but tons of them, filling the room up to the brim. Hanging on the walls, leaning against walls, spread flat on the floors were a dizzying array of colors. It was hard to even walk but they managed. Haerin's apartment was too tiny to house all her paintings so Chanyeol decided to transfer them in his villa for the time being. It was the place where Chanyeol would go to whenever he missed Haerin.


"You," Chanyeol's eyes landed on Haerin's which reflected the moving animation from the movie they were watching. "I don't like that you're working in Goth."


"Are we going to be on that topic now?" Haerin's eyes never left the television screen as she popped another popcorn into .  They have been discussing the same question over and over again ever since that day and Haerin was tired of repeating herself, words which fell on death ears.


"I'm not a kid, I can take care of myself. Plus, it's my first job."


Chanyeol took in a deep breath and let out a soft sigh, his eyes averted back to the boring animation they were watching. He wasn't worried for no reason. If it was anyone, maybe he could have still accepted it. But it was Luhan. This man gave him the creeps. The look in his eyes and the way his mouth curves into a sinister smile. Chanyeol hated everything about him.


As Haerin snuck a quick glance at Chanyeol's perfect face, she could tell that his mind wasn't focused on the animation.
Who would have their eyebrows knitted as if it was a sad love story they were watching instead of a comedy?
 

"Don't worry, I hate Luhan as much as you do."