Seventh

Re-Start

Sakura sat on her bed, Shori just left her apartment a few minutes ago. Sakura was still shocked that Shori's older sister, Amina's husband was diagnosed with cancer, which meant that her child may have a chance of developing cancer as well. But Sakura felt her heart thumping wildly, as she remembered the hug that she and Shori had shared earlier. It wasn't a brief hug, it was a rather long one. It felt perfect, like they were made to hold each other in their arms.

Sakura decided to keep her mind occupied by preparing dinner. Sakura was alone that night, she decided to invite Miyuki and Ryoha over for dinner. Haruka, Anna and Jurina were visiting their parents. While Mayu had a date with another doctor from the children's A&E department, who name was Nakajima Yuto. Yuto and Kento weren't related to each other but they were friends, which the other girls found to be ironic, as both Watanabe sisters dated or were dating men whose family name was Nakajima.

But before Sakura could start preparing dinner, she received a text from Miyuki. Miyuki suggested that they order some take-out, and she had something important to tell her and Ryoha about. Sakura agreed and she went to take a shower while she waited for both Ryoha and Miyuki to come down to her apartment. The three ladies decided to order Chinese food for their take-out. Miyuki dialled the restaurant where they frequently ate at to order their food. Miyuki relayed their order and nodded a couple of times.

"Our food will be here in half an hour." Spoke Miyuki.

"So Miyuki, what did you want to talk to us about?" Asked Ryoha.

"Kento-kun came to speak to me earlier." Said Miyuki, softly.

Sakura and Ryoha shared a look, before motioning for Miyuki to continue speaking.

"He asked me on a date but I have not accepted it yet. He said that he would give me some time to consider." Said Miyuki.

"I think you should go for it, as a gamble. Who knows you guys might reignite the sparks as well as an old flame." Said Ryoha.

"You should go for it, I'm sure that Nakajima-kun can tell if you are happy with him or not. If you aren't happy, he'll let you go." Said Sakura.

"I don't know." Mumbled Miyuki.

"Just follow your heart Miyuki." Said Ryoha.

Ryoha squeezed Miyuki's hand reassuringly and Sakura patted her back.

"Sakura, how was your afternoon with Sato-san?" Asked Ryoha.

"We spoke with each other again, and we got to catch up with each other." Said Sakura.

Sakura paused for a moment before biting her lower lip.

"But Shori-kun needs our help." Added Sakura, slowly.

"What do you mean?" Asked Miyuki.

"Shori-kun's brother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer last month and it's malignant. Shori-kun's niece is only a year old, and she can't grow up without a father. Shori-kun is helping his sister find a doctor who can and is willing to remove the tumour." Explained Sakura.

Miyuki and Ryoha nodded in understanding.

"I'm not supposed to tell anyone but Shori-kun's family needs the help, there is a chance that his brother-in-law can be saved by removing the tumour." Said Sakura.

Miyuki nodded, "What kind of cancer is it?"

Sakura shook her head, "Shori-kun didn't tell me."

"Tell you what, I'll speak to my superior on Monday and get one of the senior doctors from the cancer centre to speak to Sato-san." Said Miyuki.

Sakura smiled slightly, "Thanks, but don't tell anyone else. Shori-kun's parents aren't aware of their son-in-law's condition yet."

Miyuki nodded, "We won't, and we will respect his family's privacy. But Sato-san has to tell his family eventually."

The doorbell rang and Miyuki handed Ryoha the money for their food as well as a tip. Ryoha opened the door while Sakura and Miyuki took the bags of containers from the delivery boy, and Ryoha handed over the money for their food and told the delivery boy to keep the change as a tip. Ryoha thanked the delivery boy before closing the door. Sakura and Miyuki were opening up the containers. Their meal came with soup and rice as well. Sakura washed three pairs of chopsticks and three spoons. The three ladies sat at the dining table having their dinner and chatting about their work.
 


After dinner...

Both Ryoha and Miyuki left shortly after dinner. And Sakura found herself alone again. Sakura headed to her room, she saw the screen of her phone flashing. Sakura picked up her phone which was on her bedside table. Sakura found a message from Shori.
 


Shori's message:

Sakura-chan, do you want to hang out? I just had dinner with Nakajima-san and Kikuchi-san, they just left for their night shift. I’ll come over in a while, if it’s alright with you.


Sakura smiled slightly and replied to Shori's message. Sakura headed to the kitchen to prepare some hot tea, while waiting for Shori. Sakura heard the doorbell ring as she placed a teapot and two mugs on the coffee table. Sakura opened the door and found Shori standing outside. Sakura let him in and two seated themselves on the sofa.

"I was bored, and I don't really know anyone here." Spoke Shori.

“Yet.” Added Shori.

Sakura giggled, "You'll get to know a lot of people when you start work on Monday."

"I'm working the morning shifts, from eight in the morning until four in the afternoon." Said Shori.

"I usually work until five, but if I have no other patients, I can leave early." Said Sakura.

Sakura handed Shori a mug of hot tea and their hands brushed past each other for a brief moment. Sakura lip her lower lip as Shori took the mug from her.

"Arigato." Spoke Shori.

Sakura nodded slightly before sipping from her own mug. Somehow the silence was awkward but soothing, like Sakura and Shori were happy around each other but they aren't sure of how to express it. Shori and Sakura set down their mugs on the coffee table.

"So, where are we going tomorrow?" Asked Sakura, trying to ease the tension between them.

Shori smiled slightly, "It's a secret."

Sakura some classical music and Shori offered her his hand.

"Would you like to dance, Princess?" Asked Shori?

Sakura blinked before taking Shori's hand.

"Why thank you, Prince." Smiled Sakura.

Shori guided Sakura to the elevated platform which had only a large glass window with the curtains drawn back. The moon could be seen clearly in the sky and the moonlight shone onto the platform. Shori slowly guided Sakura in a slow dance. Somehow it was just like a fairytale, Cinderella to be exact. Sakura was dancing with her prince who was possibly in love with her as well. Sakura let Shori lead her in the dance and Shori gladly accepted it.

Sakura and Shori slow danced on the platform, and they slowly danced till a stop. Shori hugged Sakura close to him, letting his body envelop Sakura's.

"Shori-kun?" Murmured Sakura.

"Don't go, let's stay like this for a while." Whispered Shori.

Sakura fell silent before she closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around Shori's torso. Sakura settled into Shori's loving embrace and they remained like that for a while.

Shori didn't want to let go of Sakura, the hug was an action that shocked even himself. In the past, Shori wouldn't have thought of hugging Sakura like this, but he began to take his sempai, Yamada Ryosuke's words seriously. The more Shori thought about it, the more he remembered the moments he had shared with Sakura during their childhood. And remembering those moments made him smile. Shori wasn't sure of his feelings for Sakura as of yet, but he knew that Sakura would always have a special place in his heart.

Shori smiled as he hugged Sakura, it was a very loving embrace. Shori wanted to hold Sakura in his embrace for a very long time, and made sure that she felt safe and happy.

Shori and Sakura eventually let each other go, abet reluctantly.

"Gomen, I don't know what came over me." Spoke Shori, lowering his gaze.

Sakura closed her eyes before shaking her head, "It's alright, and I’m always here if you need a listening ear. I could feel that you were troubled by a lot of things."

Shori smiled slightly, "Thanks for having me over tonight, I'll pick you up tomorrow morning."

Sakura smiled as well, "Thanks for keeping me company as well."

Sakura showed Shori out and watched his retreating figure as he walked towards the lift lobby. Sakura closed the door and lay on the sofa. Sakura felt her heart beating quicker and louder as she remembered the hug that she and Shori had shared earlier. Sakura wondered if her feelings for Shori would be returned. Sakura shook her head and got ready for bed.


The next morning...

Sakura got up and took a shower. Sakura got dressed in a halter neck top with white shorts, along with the white cardigan and floral patterned cork wedges. Sakura sipped some tea as she waited for Shori. Sakura's shoes were still beside the sofa as she sipped her tea and ate a slice of toast. Sakura with her hair as she waited nervously for Shori. Sakura heard the doorbell sound and she jumped up and answered the door. Sakura looked through the monitor and smiled when she saw Shori outside the door. Sakura opened the door for Shori.

"Good morning, Shori-kun." Smiled Sakura.

"Good morning, Sakura." Smiled Shori.

Shori patted Sakura's head and he spotted Sakura's cork wedges beside the sofa.

"Have you eaten breakfast?" Asked Shori.

"A little." Shrugged Sakura.

Shori smiled, "Well, I'll take you somewhere where we used to go back when we were still in high school for breakfast."

Sakura nodded confusedly and slipped on her shoes. Sakura locked the door before Shori led her to his car at the car park. Shori drove to a very familiar place near their high school. Sakura recognised the place, they used to come here all the time after school to study and sometimes for breakfast with their other friends.

“We used to come here often.” Nodded Sakura.

Sakura and Shori had breakfast there before they walked towards their former high school. Shori was greeted warmly by his former colleagues and many of the teachers recognised Sakura. Shori and Sakura smiled as they took in their familial surroundings. Sakura and Shori headed inside the school and took a walk around. 

“Things haven’t really changed around here.” Said Sakura.

“It’s pretty much the same since our high school days but the campus has been remodelled and upgraded.” Said Shori.

“But the atmosphere hasn’t changed one bit.” Said Sakura.

Shori chuckled, “It sure hasn’t.”

Sakura and Shori walked around the school, silently observing the classes. Sakura and Shori recognised some of their former teachers, this made Sakura realise how much time has passed since she graduated from high school.

“I can’t believe that it’s been eight years since we graduated from high school. I wonder what and how the others are doing.” Said Sakura.

“I’m not sure either but I do know that Kodama Haruka-chan is currently training to be a kindergarten teacher, Negishi Takuya is a police officer and Nakayama Erina-chan is a forensics officer.” Replied Shori.

“It would be nice to see the others again.” Sighed Sakura.

“Yeah, maybe some time when all of us are not too busy.” Nodded Shori.

Shori and Sakura left their high school and headed to Shori’s car. But before they entered the car, both Shori and Sakura received emergency calls from the hospital. An apartment building had collapsed on itself causing the water pipes underneath the building to burst and flood the area, injuring hundreds of people. Shori quickly drove them back to the hospital where they headed up to their offices to get their doctor coats and stethoscopes. Shori and Sakura headed down to the children’s A&E ward to help their fellow doctors treat the patients. Anna rushed past Sakura and Shori to assist in an operation on one of the residents who suffered a heart attack while on the way to the hospital.

Sakura and Shori each headed into an emergency room and started treating the patients. The patients kept coming in one after another, Sakura and Shori finally got a break after three hours when Kikuchi Fuma and Mukaida Manatsu replaced them. Mayu and Nakajima Yuto handed them mugs of water which they accepted.

“This is the second major incident we’ve had this month.” Commented Mayu.

“The last time was the bus accident.” Nodded Yuto.

“But things like this always happen, so it isn’t exactly much of a surprise.” Added Mayu.

“Mayu-chan, our break is almost over. We’d better go and replace Umeda Ayaka-sempai and Kamenashi Kazuya-sempai. Sakura-chan and Shori-kun can stay here.” Said Yuto.

Mayu nodded, “Take a break, I think Yagami Kumi-chan and Matsumura Hokuto-kun will be taking their break soon, you can replace them if they need more doctors.”

Mayu and Yuto left the room while Sakura and Shori refilled their mugs. Sakura took her seat next to Shori on the sofa. Shori brought Sakura’s head to his shoulder to rest, Sakura stifled a yawn and Shori patted her head. Doctor Yagami Kumi and Doctor Matsumura Hokuto from the cardiology department entered the room and Shori placed a hand on his lips as Sakura had fallen asleep.

“Don’t worry, we’ll keep an eye on her.” Whispered Kumi.

Shori nodded and went back to treating patients. Hokuto took a blanket from the cupboard and handed it to Kumi who used it to cover Sakura’s body. Meanwhile, Shori met up with Fuma who was taking a drink from his water bottle. Shori took over Fuma’s emergency room while the latter took a short rest. Fuma soon joined him and they treated three more patients which were the last of the victims of the incident. The senior doctors of the A&E department thanked the other doctors who came by to help and the hospital director gave them the rest of the day off. Miyuki and Mayu gathered the others for a late lunch at their apartment, Kento, Hokuto, Kumi, Fuma, Manatsu, Shori, Shintaro and Yuri were invited as well. They called for take-out and they split the bill equally. They hung out in the Watanabe sisters’ apartment while chatting, they were all colleagues and friends but it didn’t take a stranger to know that some of them were awkward with each other.

“The annual dinner night is next month but this year there is a lunch event as well, for those who can’t make it in the evening.” Said Yuto.

“Signups are still on until the end of the month.” Added Yuri.

“I won’t be able to make it unfortunately, I’m going to England for a month with Umeda Ayaka-sempai and Yaotome Hikaru-sempai for a research project. I’m leaving before the event itself.” Said Haruka.

“I’ll be in Osaka for a medical talk.” Said Manatsu.

“I have an operation scheduled on that day, I might be able to make it.” Shrugged Anna.

“Don’t worry, you guys can just inform Nakanishi Yuka-sempai, she’s the one in charge of this.” Said Kumi.

After a while, Kumi, Hokuto, Manatsu, Fuma and Kento left the Watanabe sisters’ apartment leaving Shori, Yuri and Shintaro with the girls. Shori got along very well with Yuri and Shintaro, and they offered to introduce him to his fellow doctors. The three men left the Watanabe sisters’ apartment and headed to Shintaro’s apartment. Yuri and Shintaro arranged a meeting with their fellow doctors, Matsumura Hokuto, Nakajima Yuto, Tanaka Juri, Kouchi Yugo and Kyomoto Taiga for a meal. Tanaka Juri was a doctor in the children’s A&E department while Kyomoto Taiga and Kouchi Yugo were in the A&E department. The eight friends gathered in Yuto’s apartment and he prepared dinner for them. Yuri and Shintaro formally introduced Shori to the other five while adding that Shori was Sakura’s childhood friend. The eight became fast friends, they offered to meet Shori for lunch every day as they usually had the same lunch breaks unless they had other appointments or emergencies.


The next morning…

Shori woke up when his alarm clock rang. He made his bed before going to prepare breakfast. Shori made some toast and coffee, Fuma and Kento weren’t up yet as they went to work in the night, so that they could wake up later. Shori ate his toast and drank his coffee before going to shower and prepare for work. Shori headed outside and found Juri waiting for him. They headed to the children’s A&E ward together where Shori was handed his doctor’s pass by Umeda Ayaka, who was one of the senior doctors in the A&E ward. Juri and Shori clocked in their arrival time and headed into an emergency room each.

After two hours, Shori exited the emergency room and was replaced by another doctor, Yoshida Akari. Juri handed Shori a mug of water which he accepted.

“I’m meeting Shintaro for a late lunch later, he’s currently in his lab doing several tests. You can join us if you like.” Offered Juri.

Shori nodded, “Why not?”

Shori finished his water before returning to another emergency room. Juri stood aside to pick up a call before he rushed out of the children’s A&E ward. Juri headed to Hokuto’s office, luckily Hokuto didn’t have any patients at the moment and welcomed Juri in.

“Shintaro has the results of the blood test of your patient. He wants the both of us to see the report since I was the one who treated him when he came through the A&E department.” Explained Juri.

Hokuto nodded before he paused, “Wait, and why were you at the A&E department in the first place?”

“I happened to be there, Kitahara Rie-sempai asked for my help on another patient since I saw a child with a similar condition before. There were no more doctors available at the time, so I checked him before sending him to the cardiology department where you took up his case.” Explained Juri.

Hokuto nodded before getting his patient, Hirano Kinari’s file. The two doctors headed to Shintaro’s lab/office. They knocked on the door before going in. Shintaro looked up from his laptop, he was apparently writing a report on the blood test result for his superiors. Shintaro took out a stack of paper from his drawer and handed it to Hokuto.

“So, how was the blood test?” Asked Hokuto.

“His blood sugar level is pretty high, due to his diabetes but according to the scans of his heart that you gave me, the blood flowing in his body is flowing slightly slower than most people. His blood is also slightly thicker than most people, some aspirin might help but I don’t know what kind of effects it might have on his diabetes. I don’t know what is going to happen to him if he doesn’t take the operation, since I’m not a doctor but you should discuss it with him and his family.” Explained Shintaro.

“There are always risks for any kind of operation though.” Said Juri.

“I’m not the one who is going to conduct the operation though, Matsui Rena-sempai is the one who is going to perform the operation.” Said Hokuto.

“Well, get Matsui-sempai to talk with him and his family.” Said Shintaro.

“What time do you get a break?” Asked Juri?

Shintaro glanced at the clock, “About 2pm, I suppose. I have to finish filling in this form for your patient’s blood test first. Then I have to submit it to my superiors. Filling in this form takes quite a while.”

“I’ll text you when I’m done.” Added Shintaro.

“Shori will be joining us though.” Said Juri.

Shintaro nodded in response before going back to filling in the form.

“Do you need the lab report back?” Asked Hokuto?

“No, that’s a photocopy. Give that to Matsui Rena-sempai.” Said Shinatro.

“We’ll let you do your work then.” Said Juri.

Hokuto and Juri showed themselves out of Shintaro’s office. Hokuto headed back to his office while Juri headed back to the children’s A&E ward. Juri tended to a young boy who had injured his knee. Juri carefully applied medicine onto the boy’s wound before wrapping a bandage around it.

“That should do it, don’t move about too much and always wash the wound and change the bandage every five hours.” Said Juri.

Juri showed the young boy and his mother out before he felt his phone vibrating. Juri checked his phone before going to get Shori. The two met Hokuto and Shintaro for lunch at the cafeteria.


Meanwhile with Sakura…

Sakura was in her office having her lunch as her next appointment was at 1pm and it was currently 12.43pm. Sakura threw away the empty bento box into the trash can outside before grabbing her patient’s file. Sakura sent Okada Nana, the head nurse at the clinic, a secret smirk as her colleague, Matsukura Kaito, approached her to talk. Kaito and Nana had a strange but loving and affectionate relationship. Kaito and Nana were childhood best friends too, just like Sakura and Shori. But unlike Sakura and Shori, Kaito and Nana have attended the same school ever since elementary. Kaito and Nana were well aware of their feelings for each other, they were mutual, but they never took the next step of dating. But Kaito and Nana were alright with their current relationship, even though neither of them could work up the courage to ask the other out. Sakura wondered how things would have turned out if she and Shori had a relationship similar to Nana and Kaito’s. Sakura shook her head before opening up her patient, Nakano Ikumi’s file, just as she entered Sakura’s office with her parents. Sakura gave Ikumi and her parents a bright smile before starting her check-up.

Sakura picked up her pen and wrote several notes in Ikumi’s file as Ikumi and her parents exited Sakura’s office. Sakura took the file outside and handed it to Nana before giving Ikumi a lollipop. Sakura checked the clock before going back into her office. Sakura removed her doctor’s coat as she was already done for the day. Sakura bid Nana goodbye before texting Shori that she was on her way back to her apartment. Sakura met up with Jurina and the two headed back to their apartment together.

Sakura and Jurina went to take a quick shower before Jurina cooked up some Italian pasta for dinner.

“Anna will be late tonight, she’s helping Yamada Nana-sempai in an operation.” Said Jurina.

“It will just be the two of us then, Mayu and Miyuki are going to visit their parents for the rest of the week. I’m not sure about Ryoha and Haruka though.” Said Sakura.

“Haruka has a meeting with Kojima Haruna-sempai about a patient with skin cancer, and I think Ryoha is meeting her childhood friend.” Said Jurina.

Jurina and Sakura prepared a simple dinner, of pasta, for the two of them and they were chatting after having their dinner until the doorbell rang. Jurina opened the door and she found Haurka and Ryoha outside. Jurina let them in and Sakura brewed a pot of tea.

“What happened?” Asked Jurina.

“I happened to meet Ryoha after having dinner with Kojima-sempai.” Spoke Haruka.

“What’s wrong Ryoha?” Asked Sakura.

“I think I’ve finally figured out my feelings.” Said Ryoha, softly.

The others’ eyes and ears perked in interest but they remained quiet to let Ryoha speak.

“I met my childhood friend today after I spoke with Haruki-kun. I realised that my feelings for him weren’t the same anyone, they were more of a friendship kind. And I think Haruki-kun agrees too. Haruki-kun told me that he asked me out on an impulse. Things are fine now between us. My childhood friend asked me out, and I think he’s the one. I haven’t met him in a pretty long time after we both graduated from middle school. We went to different high schools and universities, but we recently started contacting each other again.” Said Ryoha.

Jurina smiled, “That’s great, what’s your childhood friend’s name?”

“Jinguji Yuta, he recently transferred to our hospital as a paediatrician. He previously worked at a hospital in America. He just moved back to Japan recently and he contacted my parents who told him where I worked. It’s a coincidence that he transferred to our hospital.” Said Ryoha.

“That’s good to hear, we’ll be supporting you all the way.” Said Haruka.

“I’m sure Chinen-sempai will take good care of him.” Nodded Sakura.

“Ryoha, let’s get you back to our apartment. You still have work tomorrow and it’s getting late.” Said Haruka.

Ryoha nodded, and the two doctors bid Jurina and Sakura good night before leaving the apartment. Jurina covered the leftover pasta for Anna, while Sakura washed the dishes. Sakura and Jurina sipped on some tea while they waited for Anna to return.

“Sakura, what time do you end tomorrow?” Asked Jurina.

“1pm, I only have two patients in the morning. Why?” Responded Sakura.

“I was wondering if we could go shopping tomorrow, Anna has a day off and my only appointment tomorrow ends at 12.30pm.” Said Jurina.

“It’s been a while since we’ve been shopping together.” Nodded Sakura.

Just then the door opened and Anna entered the apartment. Anna flopped down onto the sofa while Jurina poured her some tea.

“How was the operation?” Asked Sakura.

“Fine, but the patient also has other illnesses which may affect his recovery but he is under Yamada Nana-sempai, I’m not supposed to interfere.” Said Anna.

“Would you like to shower first? I cooked pasta for dinner, I’ll reheat it for you.” Said Jurina.

“I’ll take a bath first.” Replied Anna.

Jurina reheated the pasta for Anna while Sakura made another pot of tea.


Meanwhile at Ryoha and Haruka’s apartment…

Haruka was in her room going through a box of her personal things, before she came across an old photobook, which turned out to her high school graduation yearbook. Haruka opened up her yearbook and saw her photograph on the very first page, which had photos of the school management and executive student council committee members, under the executive student council section. Haruka was formally in charge of student discipline during her tenure in the executive student council committee. Haruka flipped the pages and came across another of her photos, this time with her fellow science club members. Haruka gave a small smile as she flipped through her yearbook, reminiscing about the various activities that happened during her time in high school. Haruka finally came across her class photo. It was pretty easy to spot Haruka, since she was the only one who wore a red tie since she was a member of the executive student council committee unlike her other classmates, who weren’t members of the student council, who wore green ties while those who were student council members but weren’t part of the executive council wore blue ties. But Haruka’s eyes landed on another person who wore a blue tie. Haruka recognised the male as Kyomoto Taiga, her old classmate and currently her colleague in the hospital. Taiga and Haruka had been schoolmates but they only became classmates in their third year. Taiga often helped Haruka with her work in the student council since she was pretty busy, but both of them managed to graduate with good results and get into the university that they wanted, to pursue medicine.

Haruka kept away her yearbook and other personal things before picking up her phone. She had the day off tomorrow, and she wasn’t sure of how to spend it. Haruka scrolled through her contacts and found Taiga’s name. Haruka sent Taiga a text, wondering if he wanted to hang out tomorrow. Haruka received a reply almost a minute later, and Taiga happily replied, complete with the suitable emoticons, that he would be happy to hang out with her tomorrow since he had the day off as well. They agreed to meet at the lift lobby at 9.30am tomorrow morning. Haruka left her phone on her bedside table, and went to sleep.