First

Re-Start

Miyawaki Sakura exited her office and she bid her colleagues at the hospital she was working at goodbye before heading on her way home. Sakura usually drove to work but for some reason she decided to take the hospital shuttle bus today. Sakura headed towards the bus stop and got on the bus within five minutes. Sakura stared out the bus window watching the sunset, letting a certain memory flash across her mind.


Flashback

Sixteen year old Miyawaki Sakura sat at the edge of the river bank with her feet soaked in the river. Beside her was a sixteen year old boy, Sato Shori, Sakura's best friend, neighbour, crush and first love. Both of them were in their summer uniforms and Shori rolled up his pants to soak his feet in the water. Their socks and shoes were placed neatly beside their school bags. The two were watching the sunset together, which was a ritual for them to do so every Friday after school.

"The sunset's beautiful." Said Sakura.

Sakura got out her camera and snapped a picture of the sunset. Sakura also secretly snapped a photo of Shori and herself watching the sunset.

But Shori wasn't listening to Sakura at all, as he was deep in his thoughts. Sakura realised that Shori wasn't listening to her at all, she waved a hand in front of him worriedly.

"Shori-kun, are you alright?" Asked Sakura.

Shori blinked a couple of times before nodding. "I was just thinking about something."

Sakura nodded unsurely but she left Shori alone because she knew that was what Shori wanted.

Over the next few days, Sakura found out that Shori was currently crushing on her close friend Motomura Aoi. Sakura felt heartbroken, her feelings for Shori were of those of more than a friend or best friend in her case. Shori was the first
person she had a crush on and he was very important to her. Sakura decided to hide her feelings away and support Shori's feelings for Aoi.

End of Flashback
 


It's been ten years since then, Sakura was now twenty-five, soon to be twenty-six in a couple of months. Sakura worked at the local hospital as a child development doctor after graduating from a medical university in England three years ago. Sakura loved children and she was always interested in medicine which was the reason she chose this profession.

Sakura was so into her thoughts that she almost missed her stop. Sakura hurriedly got off the bus and stepped inside the cafe at the first floor of her apartment block to grab her usual coffee or tea. Sakura came here every day after work and all of the staff knew her and her usual order. She had a different order everyday something which the staff all knew about. It was a Thursday, and Sakura always had a hot jasmine tea on Thursday. Sakura's order was already prepared for her beforehand by the staff. Sakura made a move to pick up her order from the boss, Akutsu Shintaro, who was also one of her old high school classmates who became a professional barista after graduating from college. He had opened this place shortly after Sakura had joined the hospital.

"Arigato, Shintaro-kun." Smiled Sakura, as Shintaro handed her the cup and Sakura paid for her order.

But Shintaro motioned for Sakura to come closer which made Sakura confused.

"There's someone looking for you." Whispered Shintaro.

Shintaro pointed to a booth at the far end of the cafe. Shintaro led her to the booth as Sakura held the cup in her hand. Sakura saw a male her age sitting at the booth and her eyes widened slightly. Shintaro cleared his throat which caught the attention of the person.

"Shori-kun." Murmured Sakura.

Shori smiled, "Have a seat Sakura-chan."

"Please enjoy your drinks." Said Shintaro, leaving the two alone.

Sakura slowly took her seat opposite of Shori and she placed her tea on the table.

"How have you been these days?" Asked Shori.

"I'm currently working at the local hospital as a child development doctor. What about you?" Replied Sakura.

Sakura had moved to England with her best gal pals, Matsui Jurina and Ishida Anna, who attended the same medical university as her shortly after graduating from high school. Anna was a cardiologist while Jurina was an orthopedist in the same hospital as Sakura. The three of them shared a rather large apartment together at the hostel provided by the hospital which was just a short shuttle bus ride from the hospital.

"I'm currently working as a doctor at our high school. I brought one of the students here for a check-up and I happened to meet Akutsu here and he mentioned that you were working here." Replied Shori.

Sakura nodded, she wasn't surprised that Shori was also a doctor but she never expected him to be working at their former high school.

"How are you these days, are you seeing anyone?" Asked Shori.

Sakura shook her head, "Never had the time to, I work every day. Sometimes I even get called to work at night. But Jurina is dating Morimoto Shintaro-kun who is currently a medical researcher at the same hospital while Anna is dating Chinen-sempai who is a paediatrician."

"Yamada-sempai told me the other day." Nodded Shori.

Sakura sipped her tea which suddenly wasn't sweet anymore.

"Are you free this weekend?" Asked Shori.

"I'm visiting my parents this weekend." Replied Sakura.

Shori smiled, "My family invited your family over for dinner, and you should join us too."

Sakura nodded slightly, "I haven't seen your family in a pretty long time."

"It's getting late, I'll take you home." Said Shori.

Sakura shook her head, "I live just upstairs, and besides Jurina and Anna are probably waiting for me."

Sakura took out a business card from her bag and handed it to Shori, Sakura quickly picked up her drink and left the cafe. Shori stared at the card that Sakura had handed him. He noted that Sakura hadn't changed her cellphone number and likewise he hadn't changed his as well.

Sakura ran to the lift and headed up to her apartment on the ninth floor where Anna and Jurina were waiting for her. Anna had cooked dinner for them and it was still on the table untouched, they were obviously waiting for her. Jurina fluffed up a pillow and handed it to Sakura to hug as they sat on the sofas.

"Akutsu-kun called us earlier, how are you feeling?" Asked Anna.

"I'm fine, I guess. I don't feel anything yet but I think I miss him." Said Sakura.

"He was your best friend and you haven't seen him in a very long time, so maybe that's why you missed him." Said Jurina.

"Go and shower, I cooked dinner for us and I have some freshly made pudding in the fridge cooling. It should be done by the time we finish eating." Said Anna.

Sakura nodded and headed to her room with her things. Anna and Jurina shared a look as Sakura walked to her room.

"What are we going to do?" Sighed Jurina.

"Sato-san isn't doing anything to her yet, but this isn't going to end well." Said Anna.

Anna sipped her hot tea as Jurina drank her water. The two ladies busied themselves in scooping the rice for their dinner and refilling their glasses.

Various thoughts ran through Sakura's mind as she took her shower. Sakura did miss Shori as he was her best friend, but a part of her argued that Sakura was still hung up on him but Sakura thought otherwise. Sakura got dressed in a white shirt with jean shorts as she blew dry her hair. Sakura joined Anna and Jurina at the dining table. Jurina served Sakura her rice and Anna scooped a bowl of soup for her.

"Don't worry, I'm sure things will be fine." Assured Jurina.

"I hope so." Said Sakura.