Sacrifice

The Son & The Beast

He always hated that everyone said he was pretty enough to be a girl. He never thought he'd actually be thankful for that attribute. As he sat at his sister's vanity, staring at his reflection in the mirror, he almost fooled himself.

Naeun had worked her magic on his boring, limp hair to make it look as lovely as hers always did. She powdered his face, painted his lips, and managed to help him squeeze into one of their mother's dresses.

Taemin was thin, but he was still a man. Naeun's dresses would have been too small for him. Their mother, who was just a little chubby before she died, had a size that fit him well enough.

It felt strange changing into her wardrobe, which had been packed away for over a year. Seeing her clothing again, even awkwardly on his body, made him miss her so much.

"I should be going," Naeun said, as she adjusted a loose strand of his hair. "You shouldn't have to do this."

"Naeun, we can't let you. You have no idea what you'd be walking into."

"Neither do you!"

"But I'm a man, I can take care of myself."

"I’m not helpless just because I'm a woman," she snapped.

"That's not what I meant, Naeun. A monster owns that mansion, with a magician. This is not a normal home you'd be walking into. You don't know what they could have planned for you."

"For you, you mean," she said, "What if they kill you? What if they sacrifice you for their magic?"

"I'm willing to take that risk, as long as it means you and dad will be safe."

"And why am I not allowed to take that risk?" she demanded with tears building in her eyes. "Why are all of you willing to die for me? What makes me more special than you?"

He took her by the hands and rose to his feet. "Because you're my little sister. I have a responsibility to protect you, just as much as I have a responsibility to protect Jongin. I would do the same for him."

She grabbed him in a sudden embrace and started sobbing. Despite everything, he couldn't help but smile. He would certainly miss her.

"Besides, you know dad. You're his little girl. He'd go crazy if he lost you. You're so much like mom."

She drew back from him and sniffled, trying to stop her tears. "You look more like her, you know. Especially now."

He glanced at himself one last time in the mirror. He supposed he did.

Jongin came into the bedroom, putting an end to the sorrowful moment between him and his sister. Their brother had a maroon velvet cloak in his hands - another possession of their mother's he had found in the trunks. He held the cloak out to his older brother.

"You still look like an ugly man to me," he joked, despite the seriousness in his voice, "You might want to cover up as much as possible."

"Thanks," he said, before drawing the cloak over his shoulders. His father was last to come into the room, looking even more miserable than before. Taemin hated putting him through the pain of trading him off, but it was his life they were dealing with. He would do anything to keep him alive.

Daevy didn't say anything, but Taemin knew it was time to leave. The number on the old man's chest was only getting smaller.

He turned back to Naeun. He gave her one final embrace, one final kiss on the head, then wished her good bye.

He turned to Jongin, but was unsure of what to say to him. He would be the eldest child once Taemin was gone. He would have the responsibility of keeping track of their family. He would have said as much to Jongin, but he had a feeling he already knew it. So he just hugged him and wished him good bye as well.

"I'll be back," he assured them both, then turned to his father. "I will come back."

Daevy nodded, but he knew he didn't believe him. He took his father by the arm and led him out of the room, and out of the house entirely. With one last wave to his siblings, they set out on their journey to the mansion.

Taemin assured himself over and over that he would return.

 


 

The journey there had taken most of the night. It was just after dawn when the large, ominous mansion came into view. They had met no robbers that night on the road, but robbers were the least of their concerns.

Daevy had been unnaturally silent most of the journey, but Taemin forced him to talk, pulling out whatever information about the beast and the mansion that he could. He wanted to be prepared for what he was going into.

That Minho wanted him to break his curse, but being as he was a man, he couldn't do that for him. Once he knew the truth, he would be angry. Taemin was prepared for that. He knew very well that he could lose his life in that mansion.

His father opened the rusted gate and the both of them stepped onto the property, and began the walk up the long cobblestone path. The closer they got to the house, the more frightened Taemin became. Just looking at the place, he could tell it was cursed. It was well-cared for, but the very nature of it was dark and dangerous, like it was just waiting to pull him in.

He grabbed hold of Daevy's arm, much in the fashion Naeun would sometimes use. He did it both to feign femininity and to comfort his father. And to secretly comfort himself.

They finally reached the entrance. With his shaking hand, Daevy pushed open the heavy doors. They moved noiselessly on their hinges and opened to a grand house that was even more breath-taking on the inside.

If only Taemin could marvel at it.

Instead, his attention was drawn to the man standing before them in the foyer. Minho, Taemin assumed. He must have been waiting for them.

He was young, tall, and dressed in fine clothing. If it had been under different circumstances, Taemin might have thought he was a respectable gentlemen, not a beast in human skin.

Behind him, slinking in the shadows under the staircase, was another man. Taemin could only guess that he was the magician, the very man who cursed his father.

Whatever fear he felt was trumped by his anger.

"It's good to see you again, Daevy," Minho said. The sentiment might have been honest, but it lacked warmth. Also, his attention wasn't directed at Daevy when he said it. His eyes were fixed on Taemin.

"I've done as you asked," Daevy replied with his voice shaking. He dropped his head in shame and sorrow. "I've brought you my daughter."

The magician stepped forward from the shadows to take a closer look at Taemin. He was almost more unsettling than the beast himself.

"Now remove the curse from my father," Taemin said, purposefully softening his voice to make it more convincing.

Minho held his hand out to Taemin. Reluctantly, Taemin let go of his father and took his hand, allowing him to pull him from his side. He met the beast's eyes, unwavering. Despite his serious demeanor, Taemin could see the hope in his eyes. He was fooled completely. He really thought the answer to his problems had been delivered to him.

Kibum stepped closer to Daevy, towering over the poor old man. He sighed, cracked his knuckles, and then laid his hands on Daevy's chest. Taemin watched a shudder go through his father. Then the magician withdrew.

Daevy checked to make sure the number on his chest was gone. There had been an "8" the last time they looked. Now there was nothing.

"It's gone?" Taemin asked.

"It's gone," Kibum answered.

"He won't die anyway?"

"Not from my magic."

"You can leave now, Daevy," Minho said, "Go back to your life, and rest assured that no harm will come to your daughter while she's here. She'll be taken care of and treated like a queen in this Manor."

Sweet words meant to deceive them.

His father was reluctant to leave him behind. Taemin offered him one last smile to usher him along. "I'll be alright, father. We'll see each other again. I promise."

Once again he nodded, but didn't believe him.

"I love you."

Daevy said nothing before turning away and sorrowfully leaving the mansion behind. As Taemin watched him go, his chest grew tight from fear. It was all really happening. He had given himself over to house of curses and magic.

The door closed after his father and he started to doubt, just as his father did, that they would ever see each other again.