Home

The Son & The Beast

That small workshop was getting way too hot. Even with the front doors wide open and the fresh air coming inside, Taemin felt scorched. Then again, it was always hot in there because of the kiln, and the kiln was necessary for making the pottery. The heat really couldn't be helped.

Daevy didn't seem to mind the temperature at all though. He had worked around the kiln his entire adult life, so he was used to it. He moved around and worked in that small pottery as if it was the most perfect temperature. For him, it might have been.

Despite the heat, Taemin wasn't about to complain. All that heat from the kiln meant they were making pots - pots which were already sold and paid for. Ever since their move, the pottery sales increased exponentially as the months went on. They no longer had to worry about having enough money, just enough workers. Taemin knew his father would have to hire more hands soon, since it was becoming more than the four of them could handle.

Taemin didn't mind in the least. It meant his father was working again, throwing himself into a productive craft instead of a mug of beer. Although there was no need for the beer, now that their family was all together again.

It had been almost five months since the end of Minho's curse, and five months since they settled into their new home. His family left behind everything in their village and started life over again - far from the whispers of the beast that plagued them. With all the riches Minho had given them, they were able to buy a house and Daevy was able to start his business back up again. Because of those gifts, they transitioned easily in that new town.

Taemin never had the chance to thank Minho for it though. He hadn't seen the man since they left the mansion.

He had expected some contact from him, but the only person he had seen since was Jonghyun, who moved to the same town as they did. From what he told him, Kibum took off with Krystal somewhere (probably to learn more about magic from her) and Jinki left with Minho to wherever he went.

Taemin was starting to think he wouldn't have to worry about Minho's intentions to court Naeun. Maybe in his travels he had met someone else who captured his heart. Maybe he had already settled down somewhere and found a place to call home. Maybe his family would never see him again. That thought saddened him more than he thought it would.

"We need more charcoal," Daevy said as he left the burning kiln and the small house entirely.

"I'll have to buy some," Taemin said, drawing away from his thoughts. He thankfully followed his father outside and welcomed the feeling of the fresh autumn air. Both of them stopped when they realized they had a visitor at their pottery.

It was Minho, as if Taemin's thoughts had summoned him there. He was surprised, but he couldn't help but feel a little relieved. And a little happy.

"Good morning, Daevy," Minho said with a pleasant smile.

He could tell by his father's response (or lack there of) that he hadn't quite gotten over everything yet. Daevy looked like he was hoping he would never have to see him again. "Good morning," he replied, just to be polite, before turning to the potter's wheel he had moved outside. He tried to pretend Minho wasn't there as he began his next project.

Minho's attention was drawn to Taemin as he approached. "Good morning to you, too."

"It's been a while," Taemin said as he looked him over. He was dressed casually and he seemed very carefree that morning. Carefree and light, like nothing weighed on his shoulders anymore. Like all his past and his pain had been forgotten in those five months.

"Yes it has," he simply agreed. Taemin wasn't surprised when he drew in and gave him a warm embrace. He should have known Minho would be able to stay away from him forever.

"It's good to see you, Minho."

"Yes, it is." When he drew away again, he was smiling still.

"Where have you been?" Taemin asked as he stepped away from the pottery. Minho followed at his side, till they were far enough from Daevy so they wouldn't distract him.

"I went to see my parents."

"Really?"

Minho took a seat on the low wall that ran around the edge of their property and Taemin sat beside him, curious to hear about his visit. "I hadn't seen them in so long. They left soon after my curse and never came back to visit."

Taemin's heart ached for him. Their indifference must have been painful, and he knew very well that Minho's relationship with his parents wasn't the best.

"My father is dead," Minho announced.

"Oh, I'm so sorry.”

Minho shrugged it off, but he must have been grieving. It was his father, no matter how cold the man might have been. "My mother is still alive. I was able to say to her what I needed to. It wasn't the best meeting of my life, but I'm glad I went. I feel settled now."

"That's good."

Minho then turned his attention to him and his carefree smile returned as he pushed aside his own troubles. "What about you? You all seem to be doing well." His attention went back to Daevy again, who was kneading his next batch of clay with a little more force than was necessary.

"Yeah, we are. Thanks to all your gifts, we were able to buy this place."

"Really? I'm glad I was able to help." Minho then seemed enamored by the property, like that small plot of land was much more enchanting to him than the grand home he had grown up and been cursed in. "I almost offered to buy your father a house before we left, but I was certain he would refuse."

"He probably would have," Taemin agreed. "But it worked out anyway."

Everything had worked out. Somehow all their hectic lives had turned into something peaceful and great. Seven months ago, he never would have imagined he would be where he was now. And he never would have imagined Minho there with him. And he wouldn't have imagined that he'd be happy about it.

"What are you going to do now?" Taemin asked when their conversation had lulled.

"I'm going to buy some land here in town and build myself a house. Jonghyun found me a nice plot that I just couldn't pass up. Jinki's already going crazy designing the house."

Taemin realized they would all be very close. Aside from Kibum, everyone he had grown fond of in that mansion would be his neighbors. Minho would be his neighbor, and if everything went according to the rich man's plans, he would soon be his brother. He realized his intentions with Naeun probably hadn't changed. That still made him wary.

"You know, going to visit my parents...it made me think about a lot of things. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think Krystal was right. Without those seventeen years, I would have ended up just like them. I would have died just like my father did: cold, bitter, and alone. Seeing them again made me realize how fortunate I was to have my friends with me the whole time, and to have you in the end. I have a second chance at life. And I don't want to waste any of it."

Taemin was happy for him. He was happy that he managed to find peace after all the madness. "I'm glad I was able to help."

As they were sitting there, Naeun traveled down the short cobblestone path that led from their house to the pottery out back. She was surprised by Minho being there and paused briefly, while he gave her a charming smile and wished her a good morning. Like Daevy, she replied politely, but didn't look particularly happy to see him.

"I brought you guys some lunch," she explained as she approached their father, "And I have another order from the butcher."

"More work," Daevy said under his breath.

Minho watched Naeun and Daevy for a moment, before turning his attention back to Taemin. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but he stopped himself. A few seconds later, he did speak, but it was to say something he didn't expect. "I want to work."

"Work?" Taemin questioned, confused.

"I've never worked a day in my life. I want to try it. I want to feel the sweat and a sense of accomplishment. I've lived in comfort all my life; I want to get a little gritty."

Taemin wasn't at all surprised by the question that came next.

"Do you think your father would hire me?"

He knew he had ulterior motives. He wanted to get closer to Daevy, and in turn get closer to Naeun. He wanted to break down that uncomfortable wall between them enough so that he had a chance at marrying her. Taemin still wasn't too keen on the idea, but the thought of working every day next to a friend was nice, and watching him fumble while trying to learn a working man's life would be amusing.

"Dad? Minho wants you to hire him," Taemin called across the yard.

Daevy abruptly stopped his work at the wheel. Even Naeun looked surprised.

"I...uh..." Daevy started, looking very uncomfortable about the proposition.

"We do need help," Taemin pointed out. He made eye-contact with his father and quietly asked him to give the man a chance. Taemin trusted him; he hoped his father would learn to find some of that trust as well.

"Does he know anything about pottery?" Naeun asked doubtfully.

"No, but an idiot could take orders. Or buy charcoal and get the fires going," Taemin pointed out.

Neither of them couldn't argue with his logic. They needed another set of hands and Minho was there, willing and able.

“Did you just call me an idiot?” Minho asked, but Taemin ignored him.

"Very well," Daevy conceded in the end. He immediately went back to his work at the wheel. "Your first job is to go buy me some more charcoal."

"Yes, sir," Minho said enthusiastically and rose from the wall.

"Naeun, get him some money to go into town. Taemin, go with him to make sure he gets the right stuff."

"You don't want me to stay here?" he asked. Usually Daevy was overwhelmed without him.

"Jongin should be done with the deliveries soon."

"Okay." He rose from the wall as Naeun approached with a purse and the necessary amount of money inside of it. Minho took the time to smile and thanked her, before Taemin grabbed his arm and pulled him away. Together, they left their quaint property and made for the road that would lead them to the busy shop district in town.

"I'm gonna be watching you," Taemin warned seriously.

"I know," Minho said, knowing what he was referring to. He was smiling confidently regardless, “Don't worry. I'll try my best to be worthy of her. And of you. And your entire family."

He actually believed him that time, too. Minho would try. Whether or not his efforts would make any impact on Naeun had yet to be seen. All Taemin could do was wait and see how open to him she would be. And see how capable Minho really was at loving someone.

"You were right, you know. Sometimes I do find myself missing the days at the mansion, after you came alone. The four of us goofing around and you in those dresses..."

Taemin scoffed. The dresses weren't his fondest memory from those two months.

Minho reached out to finger a strand of Taemin’s hair that had come undone from the knot he had tied it in. Annoyed, he knocked his hand away. He realized it was about time he cut his hair. Just because his mother was no longer around to do it for him didn't mean he had to let it keep growing. Keeping his hair long wasn't going to keep her memory any closer.

“I thought you were trying to court Naeun, not me,” he grumbled as he tucked the loose strand away, far from Minho’s reach.

“Well if that doesn’t work out…” he teased, then admitted seriously, “You don’t know how many times I find myself wishing you were a woman."

Taemin looked at him strangely. "You're a creep."

"Maybe, but you're a good friend, Taemin."

He scratched his head as he grew uncomfortable with the turn in the conversation. "A good friend who's about to punch you."

Minho laughed and threw his arm around his neck so he could pull him closer. Taemin tried to get out of his playful chokehold, but to no avail. In the end, he gave up and walked under the weight of his arm around his shoulder. He pretended to be annoyed, but in truth, he enjoyed it. He was glad that Minho was there, that his curse had been broken, that the beast was no more, that they were still together, that they were close, and that the future had no plans of pulling them apart.

If anything, it seemed as if fate intended them to be friends. Or, dare he admit it, maybe something greater.

THE END

 


 

 

Now for a long winded author's note. :D (I apologize in advance.)

When I started this story, the point of it was supposed to be that "true love" wasn't about romance or uality. It was a willingness to sacrifice yourself and put another person first. (Think "Frozen".) It wasn't Minho's feelings for Taemin that suddenly broke the curse, it was his willingness to defend him and die alone, if it meant everyone else would live. Granted, I couldn't explain that in the story, and Minho's feelings did develop more than I thought they would. But I never planned for him and Taemin to end up "together" at the end.

As for the whole Naeun thing, his desire to marry her comes from his desire to have the life he didn't experience while cursed. (Chapter 24! None of you saw this coming!??) He wants a wife, and he wants a family that loves each other - which is something his own family never did. He also wants to be connected to Taemin, and that's the only way he can think to do it. And remember, the man was a very womanizer...He still likes women. As for Taemin...I don't know what that character likes. Could be aual for all I know. :D

But the ending is a new beginning for all the characters. They lived happily ever after. That's the only thing we know for certain. ;-)

So...I hope you have all enjoyed this. Thanks for sticking with me, for reading, subscribing, commenting, and upvoting! Every bit of it meant a lot to me. (Even everybody freaking out over the previous chapter. lol)

Until next time...

Endellee <3

P.S. Any last comments from you guys would be really appreciated!