A Night in the Garden

The Son & The Beast

It was late at night and Taemin couldn't sleep. He might have blamed the unsettled food in his stomach, but he knew it wasn't really that. His thoughts were keeping him awake. Thoughts of his family, his home, and his current situation. His conversation with Jinki was also playing over in his mind.

Despite everything, he had really come to like everyone in that mansion. They were better friends than he could have ever hoped for, however quirky they were.

He pitied them all. Even Minho. Even though everything that happened was the man’s own fault. He was suffering and Taemin could tell. He could tell since the first moment he stepped into the mansion. Getting to know him more only made the suffering more obvious.

He wondered how Naeun would have felt were she in his place. Would she have fallen for Minho by now? Would she love him, despite his flaws? His many flaws. Would she have forgiven him? Would she try to save him?

Even if romantic love wasn't her motivation, she would have wanted to help them all. He knew she would have.

Taemin had always admired his sister's grace. No matter what happened to her, or who hurt her, she was never bitter. She managed to push past the pain and find kindness among the chaos.

He wasn't like that. Grace wasn't his nature. Just as kindness wasn't Minho's nature.

But everyone could change, couldn't they?

With a heavy sigh, Taemin pulled himself out of bed. He was only growing more restless and laying there was pointless. He put on his dress, cloak, and boots, then left his bedroom.

Everyone else was asleep at that hour. Except for Minho. He was certain he would find the master awake, inflicted with his curse. Taemin hadn't seen the beast since the night he tried escaping. He had done all he could to avoid it. Now, he felt compelled to see it. He wanted to look the monster directly in the eyes and see the manifestation of all Minho's misdeeds. The beast was what Krystal had seen and what she had made him as a result. He wanted to see the man in his raw form.

He left the mansion through the exit that led to the garden. It was cool that night, so he pulled the hood over his head and wrapped the cloak tight around his body.

Under normal circumstances, the garden would have been very tranquil. He could have stayed out there for hours, just enjoying all the plants under the moonlight. He walked down the cobblestone path at a leisure pace, anticipating the beast at every step.

Everything in the garden was silent. There was no sign of the beast, but Taemin knew he was there.

He heard a rustling in the bushes and stopped. He turned to face them and waited for Minho to emerge. It wasn't long before the massive bulk of the beast rose from the ground and revealed itself.

Even knowing what to expect, Taemin was no less frightened.

Minho wasn't angry that night, but there was no way his animal face could not look upset. Even the way he breathed sounded like a snarl.

He stalked closer to Taemin, and he fought the urge to run. He forced down his fear and kept his eyes locked with the beast's.

Minho stood before him on the cobblestone path and lowered his furry head. His breath hit his face as he sniffed him, as if he had no other way to identify him.

He didn't move as the massive creature circled around him. His heart was hammering in his chest because of the nagging doubt in the back of his mind. The one that said that beast would eat him.

But the doubt left when Minho sat down on the ground. He lowered himself so that he no longer towered over him. His expression relaxed as much as physically possible and his yellow eyes softened.

Taemin figured he couldn't speak in that form, but he could tell he was still aware. He knew who he was and had enough sense not to eat him.

"So..." Taemin began awkwardly.

Minho blinked.

"This is what you do every night, huh?"

Obviously, the beast didn't reply.

"I guess you're not too ugly," he commented, "Just huge and scary."

Minho snorted.

He looked sort of like a dog actually. A very huge, scary dog. With longer limbs and more dexterous hands and feet. It was certainly a unique form.

Despite his apprehension, Taemin reached out and laid his hand on Minho's head to feel his coarse fur. He unexpectedly nuzzled into him.

Yes, much like a dog.

He couldn't help but laugh, before he stepped back from him playfully. Minho lifted his bright eyes and rose to his feet again. He followed along with Taemin as he stepped down the path. His mass was overwhelming, but no longer frightening. There seemed to be something almost playful in his eyes, like he enjoyed having something new in his garden.

 


 

Taemin felt himself sinking and woke with a start. He wasn't actually sinking, but the warm furry cushion on which he had fallen asleep was moving. Puzzled, he pulled himself off of Minho's bulk and watched in wonder.

The beast was shrinking, slowly returning to a human form. The fur was retracting back into his skin and his muscles were growing smaller. His canine features softened, and the angry muzzle transformed back into the face of the man he knew so well.

Minho was human again. The sun was now rising and with it had come morning, and the end of Minho's affliction.

He lay on the cobblestone, unaware that he was no longer a beast.

"Minho?" Taemin said, but he didn't stir. He remained asleep, lost in a tranquil escape from his reality. He couldn't bring himself to wake him.

So he ed the cloak from his shoulders and laid it over Minho's dew-covered body, for both warmth and decency. He then laid back down beside him, a few feet away. He missed the warmth of the beast's body and marveled that he had had such a pleasant night in its company.

If only Minho could be as enjoyable as a human, he thought to himself with a smile.

He closed his eyes and it wasn't long before he was asleep again.

 


 

A/N: Yay! 2min!

It took a while to get to this point, but I don't like rushing relationships in my stories. Especially when one character threatens to kill another character's father. I can imagine that takes a while to get over...lol

Anyway...comments are appreciated. ^_^