Chapter 2

Of Oaths & Blood

I will dip your future generations in a pot of boiling lava.

Bo was miffed. Scratch that, she was down right annoyed. She felt as if she was being belittled with the laughter that her remark had caused and not only was she starting to turn red with anger but so had the victim of her insults, D.O. They both turned to look at the five who were basically and almost literally dying of laughter. Each had tears coming from the corner of their eyes and they had to take quick, not very sustaining, ragged breaths between each hearty roar of laughter. 

"Can you shut the hell up?" Both D.O. and Bo screamed. They immediately calmed down but still had a great smirk placed upon their faces, their shoulders shaking from restrained laughter. 

"Ahh, sorry," Kai said as he wiped a tear away.

"You're a , you know that?" D.O. said to Bo as the other knights began to calm down. 

Ahh screw it. If they kill me, I might as well die fighting.

"And you're an ... Oh excuse me for my manners. I mean, And you're an , sir."

The tension between the two was steadily rising as their eyes started to get even more narrowed whilst glaring at each other. 

"Calm down now, you two. Especially you, little kitten," Suho said, squeezing himself between the two conflicting forces. He laid a hand on Bo's shoulder and did the same with D.O. Bo stifled a wince.

"But she started i--"

"And I'm finishing it," Suho spoke with finality in his voice. Bo could see why he was the captain of the knights. 

"Now little kitten, didn't you learn that women were supposed to be demure and lady-like? And that it would be best to not get on the bad side of the knights?" Bo felt the squeeze on her shoulder tighten slightly, and she definitely was not enjoying the pain that came from his grip, due to his hand touching an area on her that was hurting particulary badly.  The burning feeling within her right shoulder and lower back remained and the pressure from Suho's hand was not helping the slightest bit. It just so happened to be where one of her two tattoos were.

"And didn't you learn that it's not polite to grab a woman so roughly?" Bo shrugged off his hands, biting her cheek as she felt his hand lose contact with her shoulder because wow, it still hurts like a .

She pushed Suho away and took a step back, eyeing all of the knights.

She gave a brilliant and large smile, laced with hate. 

"Now as I said before, please leave. I will have your swords delivered to you first thing tomorrow!" She gestured to the exit right next to her but it seems that none of the knights were paying head to her. They were each looking at Suho who had his back turned towards Bo.

She cleared . "I repeat: Leave!"

Suho turned around and Bo's eyes widened when she saw his hand. It turns out that that was what the others were looking at too. 

On Suho's hand, the same hand that previously held Bo's shoulder, was a shade of bright red.  

Bo slowly raised her hand towards her right shoulder and felt a kind of wet stickiness that could only be blood. She retracted her hand and saw that it indeed was blood. She quickly reached around her behind to touch her lower back, only to be met with the same feeling. Bo was panicky by this point and had turned her back towards the knights so she could freak out on her own but her thought train was interrupted with the rounds of gasps coming from behind her.

"Your back..." Chanyeol whispered. "Your tattoos..."

"What about them?" Bo all but screamed, the pain in her back multiplying at a fast rate. She quickly turned around again to hide her back.

"It's your tattoos that are bleeding," Baekhyun answered her.

What?!

"Get out!" Bo was at the point of shrieking. She fell onto her knees as the pain continued to escalate.

"Lady Smith!" Each of them took a step towards Bo's falled figure but she looked up at them with such fierce eyes that they froze mid step.

She spoke in a quiet, unnaturally calm voice, "Leave."

She continued to glare and they couldn't help but be entranced by that beautiful expression. 

A scream was then sounded from outside of the shop. Everyone turned to look at the door with wide-eyes. Not a second later, the screams increased in number and volume.

Bo, they're here.

She was the first to react and got up on unsteady feet. She quickly opened the door and motioned for the knights to exit.

"Go! You need to go help them with whatever's happening!" It was then that a great roar nearly pierced their eardrums. An inhuman one.

It had then all clicked inside the heads of the knights. The only thing that would cause such a disruption could only be one thing.

It seems as if a beast had made it's appearance in the heart of town. Eion was being attacked. 

"The finished swords are on the table next to the display of weapons. Take them and go help the villagers! As for the one without, take any weapon needed, just save them!" Without hesitation, the knights all grabbed their respective swords, with Kai grabbing a sword from the display but it seems that they had remembered the existence of Bo. She too was a resident of Eion and they would just be leaving her.

They turned to look at her and saw that she was back on the ground again, breathing heavily and sweating profusely. She seemed to be near the point of unconsciouness. It was in that moment that they had found respect for the black smith because she was willing to lay down her life in order to save the lives of others.

"Kai, it is your duty to protect Lady Smith," Suho proclaimed and with that final word, he and the other four knights burst out the door and onto the streets. Almost immediately after exiting, Bo and Kai heard a loud "Holy !" from Baekhyun.

"There's not just one! There's three!"

Kai immediately ran towards Bo and held her small figure in his arms. She was, not surprisingly, dead weight. But she was still conscious and she groaned in both pain and annoyance.

Leave already! Go help them! What are you still doing here?!" 

These were the thoughts she wanted to voice but for some odd reason, she couldn't say them.

He needs to leave now. You know this, Bo. You need to make him leave NOW.

With as much strength as she could conjure up in that one moment, she pushed Kai away and fell onto the floor with a loud thud. 

"I'd only be a nuisance. You need to save the others and me being with you would hinder that."

"But Suho--"

"SCREW WHAT SUHO SAID! What is your number one duty as a knight?! It's to protect the people of Akoyé, right?! THEN DO YOUR DUTY, SIR KAI!" 

Kai reluctantly nodded his head and helped her sit back up. He placed her in the corner of the shop, with a sword next to her.

"Don't worry about me, I'm strong," Bo weakly whispered. "I'm in a shop full of weapons, I'll be fine..."

"You really are strong. I'm so sorry," Kai said, a serious look adorning his face and it was quite uncharacteristic. And with one final glance, he ran out the door to join the other knights.

Bo watched him as he left. Once he was out of her sights, she again touched her lower back and examined the blood on her hand, noticing that in just a few minutes, a pool had formed around her. Bo could only laugh weakly as she looked at the red substance.

"I guess it can't be helped..."

She closed her eyes and her palm slowly slid to the floor.

---

 

As Kai entered the fight, he noticed that one other knight was not present. 

"Where's Chanyeol?" Kai said as he caught up to Suho who was currently swinging his sword at a large beast in the form of a wolf with dark brown fur and red eyes. As a matter of fact, all three of the beasts had taken the form of a wolf.

"He's evacuating the village. As soon as he returns, that means that they all left. I told you to deal with Bo!"

"..."

Kai couldn't reply at all to Suho and could only give him a forlorn look. Suho frowned but saw from over Kai's shoulder that Chanyeol had returned.

"Guys! Chanyeol's back!" Suho exclaimed and all the knights heaved a sigh a relief.

"Let's get this show on the road!" Chanyeol yelled as he ran towards one of wolves. When he was just a few feet away, he dropped his sword and continued on forward with his sprint. With a flick of his hand, a ball of fire flew at the wolf, completely burning it to ashes. Chanyeol gave a short laugh.

Sehun had the wolf he was dealing with stuck in a small tornado of his and once he made the tornado vanish, the wolf landed on the ground unceremoniously, barely being able to stand on its four feet without tipping over. As the wolf was disoriented, Baekhyun ran towards the wolf. As it started to roar, he sent a beam of light straight into the open mouth of the beast and within seconds, multiple beams of lights escaped from within it's body. It was dead in seconds.

D.O. was restraining the last wolf with vines he had conjured from the earth, as Suho tried to deal with the beast the old fashioned way; with his sword. Without the beast being able to move, he was able to cleanly slice its head off, and with his power, able to keep the blood from splashing onto him.

Kai watched as his companions easily dealt with the beasts. 

"This was a lot easier than I thought it'd be," Baekhyun remarked as he cleaned the dust off from his cloak.

"The only hard part about it was when the villagers were still in town. We couldn't use our powers, sheesh." D.O. replied, still keeping the wolf confined in the air with the vines. 

"This was too easy," Kai said to himself. He then noticed something.

While the head was missing from the wolf confined by D.O, its' shadow remained with it's head on.

And then he remembered something else.

Beasts don't have shadows.

"WAIT--"

Before Kai could utter another word, a beast leaped out from the shadow. It was another wolf, this time being pure obsidian black with eyes the shade of sapphire. This wolf was three times as big as the others. 

It approached Su Ho as his back was previously turned away from the direction of the beheaded wolf and Kai teleported himself to Suho's side, successfully pushing his leader out of dangers way but instead, placing himself right in front of the pinnacle of danger. Kai had no time to react and just hoped that the others could somehow land a blow on the wolf quick enough so that Kai would only suffer from a life threatening injury rather than certain death. This was all in a matter of milli-seconds, of course. 

What Kai and everyone else didn't expect was for a quick bolt of lightening, to hit the wolf. No regular human would have been able to see that though, since it was much too fast for the human eye. The Knights had almost missed it themselves and would have thought they were just hallucinating had the bolt of lightning not caused the Wolf to fall onto it's side, twitching manically as it was paralyzed. They turned to see where the bolt came from and from the roof of one of the houses, where smoke slowly but heavily rose, was a bird-like woman with talons the color of gold and wings with feathers the same shimmering hue. The creature slowly rose out of the smoke and with a great bird-like cry, unfolded it's wings and swooped down in their direction. Chanyeol automatically shot balls of fire at the appearance of the new beast but she was able to dodge all of them with her great speed. As Baekhyun shot a beam of light, she shot a beam of electricity as the same speed of light, nullifying the attack. Wide-eyed, the knights cursed for they had never seen a beast as powerful, swift, graceful and the winged woman. They all unsheathed their swords and prepared for a close combat attack but were caught off-guard when the beast simply flew past them. 

Their eyes followed the winged woman to the wolf still twitching from being electrocuted. The winged woman folded in her wings and slowly walked towards the wolf. Her eyes started to glow and to the knights complete surprise, she spoke.

"It's a shame. You have taken the lives of so many and like myself, can never be forgiven for your countless sins. But had you been in a different place, you could have been used to right the wrongs." Her voice was smooth and seemed to drip with a honey like factor. Then in a split second, she brought out her hand, her talons elongating, and slashed the neck of the wolf. 

The knights had never seen anything like her before, a beast killing another beast, and a beast who could in fact speak their language. She even had intelligence and emotions resembling that of a human. The beast-woman whipped her head to face the six knights who were on guard as they slowly took steps towards her, ready to attack any second.

"Many lives have been saved due to you. No one has died, but I smell a strong fragrance of blood in that direction." She pointed to the direction in which she had just been in. Without another word, she once again unfolded her large golden wings and flew upwards, landing on another house with smoke rising. She walked into the smoke and just like that, disappeared.

"So she killed a beast, and just saved Suho. A beast saved Suho. A beast saved a human," Kyungsoo repeatedly said, trying to get his mind wrapped around the idea that there were beasts who seemed to have a sense of justice.

"Wait, about the blood... Was she pointing in the direction of Lady Smith?!" Baekhyun was first to realize it and with those words, they all sprinted to her, with Kai teleporting instead. 

As they arrived, they saw laying on the ground the unconscious figure of Lady Smith, with blooding pooling everywhere, most prominent being on her hands.

"Take her to Lay," Suho commanded and Chanyeol picked her up and carried her small figure in his arms, not noticing that her back was no longer bleeding.

They also failed to notice the set of smiling golden eyes hidden in the trees, following the party as they left Eion.