Home

We are Bulletproof

'Namjoon.'

Startled, he flinches at the sound of her voice. He drops his cigarette, and it sizzles briefly at contact with the wet ground. She's here. As expected from a class A, even though she cannot shield herself from attention like he could, her swiftness makes it difficult to catch her movements. 'Finally,' Namjoon turns to face her. 'What could be so urgent that-' His jaw drops. He did not expect her to be wounded. She staggers her way closer and he quickly catches her in his arms. 'What happened?'

She pushes him away, raising one of her arms. The skin is so damaged that it barely hangs, revealing the bionic arm that is the remnants of the accident a couple of years back. She shakes violently as a current visibly runs through it. Had she stayed in his arms, he might have been hurt. He is not as durable as she is. 'Help...' she shudders. It is so unlike a member of the hidden class A to ask for help from a lower class. In fact, communication with a class A is so rare that he only knows them by codenames. It was surprising enough for him when he received a call ten minutes ago, and now he can only gape at the state of her. Who even had the ability to do such a thing? Aren't they invincible?

A downpour of rain really does not make the outdoors safe for discussion, he realises, and they must move quickly. He had to bring them somewhere drier, out of sight. For now, he takes his trench coat off himself and around her shoulders. 'I didn't bring my car...' he swears. 'You should have told me it was this kind of emergency. Wait here,' maybe a taxi would be the best option.

He feels a tug on his shirt as he attempts to walk away. Her non-bionic arm is holding onto him. 'Your hideout.' She looks him in the eye. 'I know you have one. Take me there.'

'What?'

'Please... have to... hide.' she explains, her voice so desperate that some her words do not come out as whole.

But he understands them right away. He adjusts his coat to cover her head, places his arm around her, and disappears from sight.

* * * * *

Home. The word is still strange when describing a place you have barely visited, but it is even stranger when used to describe the penthouse apartment by the hospital in which you lived alone. This place, at leasts, have the remains of a childhood you cannot remember and the presence of a family member - however much you deny your blood ties. What could she want? You step into the unnecessarily large house.

At the lobby, one of her workers attempt to help you with your umbrella and coat. You refuse politely. Just because you hated your mother, there is no reason to be rude to her employees. 'I won't be long.'

'Please, allow me to at least put your umbrella away.'

'Well, I suppose it would be better if I don't leave too much of a mess behind...' you notice the trail of rain water you had left behind you. You hand him the umbrella as another employee takes you to the dining hall.

As a fan of interior design, the dining hall is breathtakingly beautiful to you. From the red carpet, to the long oak table, to the wall displays, to the crystal chandelier hanging overhead, everything seems to have been taken straight out of the ideal house you have always dreamed of. And that is without even considering your mother's collection of silverware and fine china. At the end of  the table that is closest to the kitchen door and window, your mother had already begun her dinner. You mentally judge her for starting without you despite your plan not to join her. You thank her employee and fix your appearance though you were unsure of the reason. After all, why would you find the need to impress her? You stay where you are, showing your full intention to leave as soon as possible.

'Yeohee, I did not expect you to accept my invitation.' she smiles with that creepy smile of hers.

'When can I see Jungkook?' You ask your so-called Mother. If she had held her end of the bargain, you should have been able to see him yesterday.

'This girl...' she tuts. 'Is that the first thing you should say to your mother when you come home?'

'What kind of mother would blackmail her daughter into working at a horrendous hospital and experiment on human-'

'Sit down.'

'On human bodies using her son's-'

'Jeon Yeohee!' she shouts. 'That is enough. Now, sit.'

'I'm not eating.'

'I heard about your accident with V.' she raises an eyebrow. 'Don't you know of his valuable contribution to our company? If you do not want me to lock you up again, you will join me.'

That little snitch. You mentally curse him. You will not let him get away with this. You walk to the table, afraid of what she might do to you if she were to punish you. The fact that Jungkook is once again unconscious and out of your sight was all your fault. Jungkook had regained consciousness a couple of days after his collapse, and the two of you had tried to run away from her. Unsuccessful, the two of you were separated. You were locked up while he was taken away. She told you that if you work for her, you will be able to see him again. And so you agreed. If you rebel blatantly, something worse could happen.

The moment you sit down, the dish is served and the cutleries and glasses set. You have been avoiding food at the house since the first day you were forced to move in, but sitting there now, you half-regret your decision. As your mother is already on the main course, you were also given the same. Dinner today is salmon fillet - butter roasted - and roast potatoes with blanched spinach. It is even served on a warm plate. It is indeed luxurious compared to your normal dinner experiences but the setting does not phase you.

'Good choice.'

You don't reply.

'I need you to eat so you don't fall ill,' she tells you in a motherly tone when she notices that you are only staring at your plate. Your heart squeezes as your mind wanders to a time when you are younger. Much younger. You shake the memory away and pick up your knife and fork. 'Good girl,' she smiles. 'Now, there had been a change of plans and I need you to do me a favour. After that, I will leave Jungkook to your care.'

Your eyes light up. 'Really?' Not so obvious, Yeohee. Control yourself. You take a deep breath. 'I mean, what's the catch?'

'Well...'