Comfort and Effort

We are Bulletproof

5. Comfort and Effort

'Miss Yeohee.' Kim Namjoon appears out of nowhere.

You jump at the sudden sound, taking a moment before responding. Although it had been a couple of months since people started to call you Yeohee, for some reason you can't get used to that name. Yeohee. Jeon Yeohee, the sister of Jeon Jungkook. Jimin often addressed the two of you by those names even before... all this, and now you feel rather guilty for thinking he is simply bad with names. You work up a small smile. 'Yo, detective!'

'Good to see you're in a good mood.' He chuckles at your  playful greeting as he takes the seat accross the table. It's not really like your mood has actually improved, but you're so used to things now that you realise the only thing you can do is to accept reality and try to look on the brighter side of things. 'On your break?'

You nod. 'Yep. How come you're at the hospital, detective Kim?'

'Miss Yeohee, please don't be so formal. You're technically my boss now.'

You process his words with a grain of salt. Detective Kim was a friendly man who helped you more times than you could count ever since the day you moved to Seoul. On your that day, the sheer size of the city had intimidated you and you asked him for directions by chance. It turned out the building was close to his office, so he happily showed you the way. Ever since then, you always looked to him for help. He was like the older brother you never had. It was difficult to start treating him otherwise, especially because despite your attempt to become more positive is really masking your desperation to cling onto the life you once lived. His boss... you elaborate on the concept. So you're a conglomerate's daughter, but what does it matter? You don't remember your dead father, and your mother is an old hag. You are surprised that nobody had attempted to assassinate her yet... okay, maybe you crossed the line a little there, but what kind of mother would- stop. You no longer wish to think of her. 'Well, you mentioned that we're the same age, so I'll only stop if you also call me by name.' you force another smile.

'Jeon Yeohee?' he offers you his fist. 'Deal!'

You can't stop your fake smile from turning into a genuine one as you hit his fist with yours. 'Deal.'

Silence falls briefly between the two of you, and you are glad to have someone so familiar beside you. Though neither of you exchange words, you feel more comfortable in the hospital's cafeteria now. You even find yourself enjoying the music for the first time. You wonder if you always had liked jazz and forgotten it, or if this newfound enjoyment is the product of spending almost every meal there. You turn to the window to stare at the passers-by outside the window and pretend nothing bad ever happened. You pretend you are still the naive and happy person from only two months ago, unburdened by a bizzarre life story, with a healthy and cute little brother.

'Oh, you're with Yeohee Nuna?' you hear Jimin's voice. 'She normally glares at anyone who comes near her, even if it's obvious that she's lonely.'

'Hush, Jimin.' you warn. Admittedly, you do normally, but that never affected Jimin before. He would still sit and talk to you. Though you appreciate that he did so, you aren't going to give him the satisfaction of knowing it. You glare at him like usual. He is wearing his rather pathetic disguise of  baseball hat and sunglasses. How many times have I told him that disguise doesn't work? You notice the young girls just metres away, trying to be subtle with their cameras. You look towards the window again to hide your face. 'Should you really be here during daylight? Really?' You prompt him to rethink his choices.

'I'm here to visit a friend, actually. He's a singer, too...' he leans closer to you and whispers, 'and he's also one of us.'

You back away, annoyed by the intrusion of personal space. 'Well, practically all the higher level staff here is one of us, Jimin.'

'No, you don't understand.' he complains. 'He's like... like us, like Namjoon hyung and Hoseok hyung and me.'

'Right...'

'Anyway,' he focuses his attention to the detective. 'We should go quickly, I have to get going in half an hour.'

'Alright.' detective- Namjoon - stands up. 'Let's go.'

'Nuna, do you want to come to?' Jimin offers. 'He'll be glad to see you.'

 

* * * * *

 

'What the hell is this?' the potential client shakes his head in disapproval. 'I admit your last couple of songs were good, but this?' he points angrily at the monitor. 'This isn't what the public wants to hear. They want to hear love, they want to hear happiness. Not this...' he frowns, 'whatever the hell this is. I want to hear a new song by next week. The girls need to come back. They need the attention.' Without so much as a goodbye, the client leaves.

Yoongi hangs his head low. Of course he is disappointed that his song isn't good enough, but he's more disappointed that he can't seem to write the right kind of song. He has a lot in his mind lately and everything is affecting his work no matter how much effort he puts into his work. All his songs have become much darker than what clients would take, and he has been receiving nothing but negative feedback.

He sinks into his chair with a heavy heart and rubs his eyes. Those sleepless nights he had spent to write something, anything, by the deadlines have taken their toll on him. He needs rest. That's right, it's no longer the old days when I'd be peniless if I take a break, he reminds himself. He lets his imagination run with thoughts of a holiday. Nothing too grand, he thinks, just lazy days at my parent's, eating Mum's home-cooked food and helping Dad around the store... Family dinners, accompanying Mum to the market, maybe go fishing with Dad and Ikje Hyung... before long, he falls into a deep sleep.

When he wakes up, he checks the time. He had been asleep for one hour. He should pack up and go home. It's Friday today, which means he needs to head to his parent's house for the weekend. He can't miss yet another one. He misses them too much. Perhaps he will have that rest he dreamt of.

Just as he stands, his phone rings. 'Yeah?' he picks up after checking the caller ID.

'Yoongi, are you busy again this weekend?' his brother asks.

'No, I'm not. Want to head to Daegu together?'

'I'm already here. If you're not busy, then you could have called or something yesterday.'

'Why?'

'Well, Mum and Dad were worried since you didn't tell them you weren't going to be at dinner. And we tried to call, but you didn't answer.'

'What? But I'll be at dinner, and you didn't call. At least, I don't remember.'

'We called you so many times!'

'Seriously?'

'Never mind, we'll see you tonight then.' Ikje ends the conversation.

Confused, Yoongi checked his phone. There really were missed calls from yesterday. But I never noticed, and yesterday was Thursday... he stares at his phone. Then, the only logical thing to do is to check the date, though he doubts that he slept tight for  whole day. Except he did. He had been asleep for twenty five hours. New record, he notes. He hurriedly gathers his things. Upon exiting, he bumps into a familiar face. Except he can't quite figure out why that face looked so familiar.

'I've finally found you.'

 

* * * * *

 

Author's note: That took longer than intended! I hope you're enjoying the story, though. Can you guess which Bangtan member is hospitalised? Or maybe what 'just like us' means? Or who Yoongi just bumped into?

Thank you for reading so far, and make sure to subscribe, upvote, or comment if you like the story otherwise you got no jam like jimin. :)