Prelude: Shatterproof

We are Bulletproof

1. Shatterproof

 

  He couldn't be sure when, why, or how, but at some point of his life Min Yoongi had become bulletproof. Bulletproof, shatterproof, and scratch resistant like a piece of strongly built gadget. He couldn't even remember finding a strange sensation in his body. He simply woke up one morning at his parents' home as he would normally do after their Saturday dinners, brushed his teeth, showered, and clothed, and accidentally slipped while still inside his bathroom. He could hear the sound of his head bang against the edge of the sink and though he was momentarily immobilised by the pain, it soon disappeared and he was fine. Not the same could be said for the sink, the basin of which now mostly laid around him on the ground.

'Min Yoongi!' his mother banged upon the bathroom door in panic, 'Min Yoongi! Are you okay?'

In his shock he barely heard the sounds his mother made. It wasn't until his brother burst through the door that he finally moved his gaze from a broken piece of ceramic. He looked blankly up at his brother, still seated on the floor.

'Yoongi-ah, are you alright?'

'I- yeah...' he frowned with confusion. He was completely fine. He didn't even feel dizzy from the impact.

'What happened?' his brother pulled him to his feet and escorted him out of the bathroom. They notice a quiet curse from their mother's lips as she walked away, but feigned ignorance of it.

'I guess I tripped...' he muttered. 'I'll make sure to find someone to fix the sink.'

'Is that what you're worried about?' their mother appeared with a broom in her hand. 'The sink is in pieces! You'd best see a doctor to make sure you're okay. You can't have survived that without a scratch.'

'No, I'm fine,' he stood, twirled, and grinned. 'Completely fine.' He said to his own surprise. He didn't even expect to execute those moves so well.

She pursed her lips in disbelief but accepts it. 'When you return to Seoul later, make sure your brother is the one driving, okay?'

 

* * * * *

 

'Is that...' You stared, bewildered at the scene unravelling in front of you. You had been waiting for your fiancé for the last hour in front of a busy shopping mall. You didn't entirely mind. He became your first boyfriend a few years ago, and he proposed to you on your last birthday. Nobody knew you like he did, just like you thought nobody knew him like you did. Thought. Thought was the keyword.

Your mind rewinded back to that time last winter when he was late to an important dinner. He smelt like a different woman, but when you pointed this out he had laughed. He said he was wearing a different perfume as it was an important evening for you. He even asked if it really did smell that bad. Of course, you let him go with an endearing laugh.

And then there was that time when you visited his apartment in the morning for a surprise and he acted very oddly. He kept looking alternately at the clock and then his bedroom door, going so far as to rush your visit. You assumed he had a busy night in the ER and wanted to go back to bed.

And the cherry on top was the many canceled dates and unanswered phone calls. You guessed he was busy with his job. He was older and had a professional job as a doctor. It would be fully understandable if he had sleepless nights and emergency patients which would impede on his plans. But never would you have thought... Of all things! Of all things, must he really cheat?

You weren't normally the confrontational type but you found yourself standing only metres apart from them before you even knew you were following them. Just to be sure, you called out his name. He turned to face you. As if in slow motion his expression falls. If only it could fall as rapidly as your heart dropped. You felt everything and nothing all at once. In the verge of tears and blind anger but froze instead. The only word to escape your chaotic mind and out of your mouth was...

'Why?'

He didn't apologise. He didn't even seem remotely remorseful. He began cursing. You were too conservative, too reserved, he regretted having proposed to you before meeting her. You turned to her, but you weren't even angry at her. You were sorry. Sorry for getting in the way of their relationship. You looked back at him. He told you she was fun, she understood him. He asked how you could expect him to stay chaste when he would soon go to the army and your wedding wasn't until afterwards. You were too frigid for wanting to save yourself for marriage. How you ignored all of his advances.

You slapped him in the face. She gasped, and he lifted a hand, but before it could touch you, you had a grip on it. He tried to pull away as she tried to grab your hair. You kicked his crotch hard enough to make him stagger backwards, colliding into her so that they landed in a heap on the side of the road.

Then you blinked and realised it was all in your head. Your hand was hovering as if you would slap him but you stopped yourself. He wasn't worth it. Instead, you took off the engagement ring. 'How lucky,' you gritted your teeth as you spoke, 'the engagement is off now.' you threw the ring into the ground. 'I would also appreciate it if you never appear in front of me again.'

He exhaled a breath of anger, opening his mouth.

You didn't let him speak. Instead, you bowed your head in the direction of his girl. 'I'm sorry for the commotion.'

She blinked and returned the bow.

'Well, then.' you turned around and left. It was tempting to look back and check their reaction but you restrained yourself. You weren't sure where you were going, but you walked for a long time that day. You walked and walked without eating or stopping even though you can start to feel the skin of your feet peel from the friction of new heels. When it started to really hurt, you stopped. But when you stopped you could feel it again, that feeling of having your world crumble down in front of your eyes. You might still have a lot without him, but you felt as though you, yourself, were nothing without him.