The Twins

Of Mama's Boys and Daddy's Boys

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyLoZ_HSYKvZCXCKLFGyh                          aart3n.jpg


    “Ah! How could you do this to me!?” a young male screamed at his lover. His bright blonde fringe, sweaty from excursion, was sticking to his forehead, and his eyes were filled with pain. His small frame was misshaped at the abdomen; the usually flat, small stomach jutting out in an enormous round bump. And his legs were stretched out oddly, a female dressed in all white between his thighs.
    “I'm so sorry, boo,” his lover whispered. Knowing that his husband was in horrible pain, and that he was the one who caused it.
    “If you'd just listened to me, we wouldn’t be in this situation,” gritted out the other.
    “Joonmyeon-ah,” called the female doctor, who was settled between his legs. “Please, if you stop yelling and gritting your teeth then the babies will be born quicker and easier.”
    Joonmyeon nodded, desperately trying to relax before another contraction raked through his stomach. When the tell-tale feeling of all his muscles tightening and coiling hit, he pushed again with all his might. He heard the encouraging calls of the doctor and his tall lover on his left, but he was too distracted by the excruciating pain.
    “Joonie,” cooed the tall male. “Dr. Kim says that you're close, she can almost see the head, so you're almost done.”
    “Shut up, Yi!” he ground out. Yifan nodded at his abnormally aggravated and cranky lover. This first pregnancy had truly opened his eyes to the hidden his lovable husband could be.
    “Okay, Joonmyeon-ah,” called the kind obstetrician. “On your next contraction, I want you to push with all your strength since I can almost see your baby's head, okay? Then you'll most likely have a little break before the second twin is born since generally, twins are born a few minutes apart.”
    Joonmyeon nodded slightly before breathing deeply, waiting for the next absolutely horrendous muscle cramping. He didn’t wait too long since less than a moment later, said pain was crippling him. “!” he groaned as he pushed down again with all his reserved energy.
    “You're doing great, Joonmyeon-ah! I can clearly see the head,” the obstetrician called. “Wait, and here it is.” He could hear the smile in the kind woman's voice, and a second later an ear-splitting wail cut through the air.
    The doctor quickly handed the baby off to one of the many nurses present around the couple before she turned back to Joonmyeon and Yifan. “It's a boy,” she smiled, eyes up turning into crescents. She wiped the sweat from the top of her forehead, moving the small pieces of fringe out of her eyes before adjusting her glasses.
    “A boy,” Joonmyeon breathed. “A little boy,” he smiled, eyes welding up with unshed tears.
    “Yeah, we got a boy,” Yifan answered just as breathless.
    “Don't get too distracted, sweethearts. We still have one more baby to bring to the world,” smiled the nurse directly to Joonmyeon's right, who had held his other hand. Both the brand new parents nodded mindlessly as they tried to crane their necks to watch the nurses cleaning and performing several tests on the newborn.
    “What are they doing to him?” Joonmyeon cried, brow furrowing in pain as he watched a nurse make his baby cry, on purpose.
    “Just checking to make sure his respiratory system is fully developed and working perfectly,” the same nurse answered. “Don't worry, they should be done making him cry now, but he will probably still be a little fussy.”
    Another set of mindless nods were the parents only reply as they both turned to mush when the small baby began looking about a bit, as if looking for his parents. “Can I hold him while we wait for the second to be born?” Joonmyeon asked quietly.
    “Well, we can let Yifan-ah hold him until the second is born, but I’d rather wait until both twins are here before you hold them. Just in case another contraction hits,” the doctor replied.
    Joonmyeon pouted but nodded because he simply just wanted to see his precious new baby up close. “Hold him for me, Yi,” he demanded.
    “Cool,” Yifan muttered quietly. Joonmyeon rolled his eyes at the slightly stupid reply from the elder, but he instantly smiled when another nurse came over to them with the small, blue swaddled bundle that was their first newborn.
    Yifan quickly made the correct position with his arms as the nurse places the delicate baby in his abnormally long limbs. “Aww,” he cooed in a manner that only Joonmyeon had ever seen. “Well, aren't you just the cutest little thing ever.”
    He continued cooing at the baby, lost in his own world with the newborn before Joonmyeon reached over and smacked him. “Let me see him!” he pouted at the taller, who still seemed still completely stuck in his own world. “I wanna see him too.”
    After another few moments of Yifan cooing, Joonmyeon pouting, and the angry demands that fell on deaf ears for the intended listener, one of the nurses (the one that had brought over the newborn) walked up to the proud father, tapping him on his shoulder to gain the much needed attention. “Yes?” he questioned in shock, surprised since he forgot there were other people present.
    “I think you're husband would like to see the little one too,” she answered softly, pointing to the fuming blonde. Yifan visible paled before he slowly turned around to face his husband.
    “Boo, wanna see?” he smiled, trying to hide his flinch when his eyes met with the murderous glare.
    “Yes,” he ground out. “Get over here.” Yifan scurried to the other's side, baby held close to his chest.
    “Here, boo. He's really cute,” he said softly when he crouched next to Joonmyeon.
    The younger's anger seemed to bleed right out of him when the small bundle was in view. His left hand came up, fingers the child's smooth, chubby cheek. “He's so cute,” he whispered softly.
    “Yeah,” Yifan answered. “What do you think we should name him?”
    “I don't know,” he mumbled. “Do you wanna name him?”
    “Why don’t you,” Yifan answered. “I'll name the next one.”
    Joonmyeon nodded, trying to think of a name; “I can't believe we did everything to get ready for them, but we forgot names.” Yifan chuckled, shaking his head at their own stupidity. “Names,” Joonmyeon breathed. “It's just so sad.”
    “That it is,” Yifan answered. “So whatcha thinkin'?”
    Joonmyeon pouted slightly in thought. “I don’t really know. Maybe I should talk with Minho and Jinki or something.” Joonmyeon's mind was now thinking of what his friends would say; Jinki-hyung always had good ideas.
    “You're gonna ask our friends what we should name our kid?” Yifan asked, eyebrow raising.
    “Yeah,” Joonmyeon answered. “He gave his first son a cute name, so maybe he and Minho ca-” Joonmyeon cut off when the small bundle made a slight giggling/gurgling sound at the name.
    “Huh?” Yifan questioned.
    “What, baby? Do you like that name? Minho?” he questioned. The baby giggled again at the name. “Maybe Minho's a good name,” he added thoughtfully.
    “We are not naming our first son after Minho,” Yifan spat. “At least change part of it. What do you like better, baby? Min or Ho?”
    “Yifan, you’re being ridiculous,” Joonmyeon sighed. “It's not like he can tell you what he likes.”
    “Well, we'll just judge his reactions,” he shrugged before turning more of his attention to the small child. “Okay, little guy. Min?” He asked, and the baby let out the same giggle-like noise as before, making Yifan smile. “Or Ho?” This time the small baby didn’t make a sound at the syllable, and Yifan turned back to his husband. “Told you so.”
    “Shut it,” Joonmyeon grumbled. “So he likes the syllable Min, and?
    And, that means we can pick a name that has that syllable in it.” Yifan answered in a tone that made it sound like common sense. “So now you have a direction to go in,” he added with a smile.
    “There's still so many names that start with Min though,” Joonmyeon whined. “Like Minho, Minki, Minkyung, Minco, Minseok, Min-” he cut off when his son made another giggle-like sound.
    “What was the last name you said?”
    “Minseok,” he answered, to which the baby giggled.
    “Well,” Yifan answered, a large gummy smile breaking across his face. “I guess he chose his own name. Is that right, Minseokkie?” he cooed, and the child smiled up at his father.
    Joonmyeon pouted, as his son continued to smile and giggle at his husband. “Why does he like you better?”
    “I don’t know,” Yifan mumbled. “I guess he just likes me. Do you like me, baozi?” he cooed to his child. Minseok let out another giggle, smiling at the new nickname.
    “What the hell's a baozi?” Joonmyeon asked, pout increasing as he was forced to continue watching the newborn instantly bond with his father.
    “It's a Chinese bun.”
    “Why would you nickname our baby after a bun?!”
    “Because,” Yifan mumbled, “look at his cheeks! They’re so round and fat, just like a bun,” he smiled.
    Joonmyeon scoffed at the answer before being distracted by a worsening contraction. “I like the second one is on the way,” he groaned, hands moving to grab either side of his bulging stomach.
    “Can you take Seokkie for me?” he asked one of the nurses, who nodded and took the small baby.
    “We'll put him in the nursery and take him out later after the second one is born,” the nurse replied.
    Yifan nodded as he turned back to his husband. “It's okay, boo.” He cooed to the other, who was drowning in pain once again, before he took his small hand in his much larger ones. “How close are the contractions, boo?”
    “I've felt them throughout the entire time with Minseok, but they’re getting worse,” Joonmyeon groaned. “They feel like they did when it was time to push for Minseok.”
    “Well, that means your next baby is probably ready to join your family,” smiled the doctor, who returned to her position between Joonmyeon's spread legs. “You know how it feels, so when you feel that really strong contraction like you did with Minseok, I want you to push, alright?”
    Joonmyeon nodded and tried to breath again as he began waiting for the mentioned contraction. A few weaker contractions later and Joonmyeon let out a slight scream as the mentioned pain hit. He pushed with all his strength while the contraction lasted before he paused when it ended.
    “Good, Joonmyeon-ah. Just a few more, and I think this one will be with you too. He's most likely the smaller of the two,” the doctor explained.
    “In all twins is there one bigger than the other?” Yifan asked.
    “Yes,” the doctor answered. “And the larger is usually the first one to be born,” she answered. “I'm forgetting at the moment, but did you know previously the gender of your twins?”
    “No,” Joonmyeon ground out. “We wanted it to be a surprise.”
    “Great,” she smiled. “I'm glad you decided against it. So many young couples don’t wait anymore.” The married couple smiled at each other before the younger was hit with yet another contraction. “Let's just get this little one into the world, shall we?” she smiled once again.

 



    It turns out that the twins were only born twenty-five minutes apart with the second definitely being smaller than the first. Minseok was about six pounds (a bit over the normal birth weight of twins), but the second son was only four and a half pounds (much under).
    “Now, your second son is underweight, but it appears he has a smaller frame than his twin,” the nurse holding the second newborn explained.
    “Will there be any health problems for him? Because of his weight,” Joonmyeon asked, worry evident in the new mother's voice.
    “No, he should be okay. Just make sure he eats, but if he loses weight then bring him in, and we'll make sure, okay?” she answered, handing the smaller boy off to Yifan.
    “He’s so tiny, Joon,” he said as he looked down at the small baby. He brought him over to his exhausted husband, who was holding Minseok.
    Joonmyeon smiled at the little boy before turning to look up at his husband. “What do you think will be a good name for him?” he asked in a tired, weak voice, but a hint of a smile was breaking through. It was so adorable, and also amusing, to see his tall husband, who was all long limbs and wide shoulders, clutching a small bundle of baby blue blankets to his chest.
    At this moment, the little baby opened his eyes and looked up at the tall giant holding him. Yifan looked down, smiling at the adorable chocolate doe-eyed boy with a little tuft of feathery brown hair that he clearly got from his father. “Luhan,” he answered softly.
    “Luhan? That doesn’t sound Korean,” Joonmyeon mumbled. Minseok looked up at him, and he cooed at the baby, who tried to squirm away instantly, causing the mother to pout.
    “It's not. Lu means deer and Han means pre-dawn or breaking down,” Yifan explained, bouncing the little boy in his arms. “In Chinese, by the way.”
    “Of course it's Chinese,” Joonmyeon muttered under his breath, yet the elder still heard him.
    “Hey. One has a Korean name, and you’re Korean. And the other has a Chinese name, and I’m Chinese,” he grumbled back. “It's even.”
    “I know, I know. It's just you give everything a Chinese name,” the younger sighed.
    “I do not!”
    “Do too! You even gave our dog a Chinese name, and our cat!”
    Yifan sighed before shrugging, already knowing the truth of the statement. “Why's Seokkie so squirmy with you?” he asked.
    Joonmyeon sighed. “Our babies aren’t even an hour old, and you already have multiple nicknames for them?” he asked, to which Yifan nodded. He sighed again before answering the elder's question. “I don't know why he's so squirmy. He just is.”
    “I don’t think he likes you as much as he likes me,” Yifan smirked.
    “Shut it,” grumbled the other.
    “Why don’t I hold Seokkie, and you can hold Lulu? Maybe he'll like you better.”
    “You cannot call our son Lulu,” snapped Joonmyeon. “And, okay,” he sighed.
    “And why not?” Yifan questioned as he moved to switch sons with the former.
    “Because Lulu is a girl's name.”
    “But, he looks so cute and kinda like a girl,” Yifan cooed as he cuddled Minseok closer. “Doesn’t he, Seokkie? Don’t you think your little brother looks cute?”
    “Don’t give him ideas. And he doesn’t look gir-” Joonmyeon grew quiet.
    “Changing your mind,” Yifan muttered as he saw Joonmyeon studying the adorable and slightly feminine boy.
    “Okay, maybe he looks a little girly,” he mumbled. “And why isn’t Minseok squirming with you?”
    “He likes me better,” Yifan smirked before he turned to coo at his son. “Don't you, Seokkie? Don’t you like baba more?”
    “Baba?” he questioned. “No, wait, let me guess. It means dad in Chinese?”
    “Yup,” smiled the elder.
    “And he does not like you more!”
    “I think he does. He's not squirming anymore, but Lulu is,” Yifan observed.
    Joonmyeon glanced down, seeing Luhan squirming in his arms, unlike when he was in Yifan's. “Why don’t our babies like me? And more importantly, why do they like you more?!”
    “Why can't they like me more?”
    “Because I’m their mother!”
    “And I'm their father.”
    “Still,” Joonmyeon grumbled, bouncing Luhan the same way Yifan did to ease the small boy (it didn’t really work, he noticed). “I had to carry them around for thirty-six weeks and then push them out.”
    Yifan shrugged, not wanting to argue with his tired husband. “Maybe they're just tired?” he offered. “Why don't we have them put back in the nursery? Then you can rest, and I can go ask for help with their birth certificates.”
    Joonmyeon nodded, feeling the dull ache spreading through his body. “Okay,” he agreed softly. His eyes began to close when Yifan took Luhan from him and placed him in his little cot.
    “Go to sleep, Joonie,” he whispered, pressing a kiss the his husband's forehead. He noticed two nurses pushing both of his sons out of the room, and he turned to them quickly. “Can you wait one second? I just want to kiss them goodbye,” he mumbled shyly.
    They both giggled quietly before nodding and stepping aside. He turned to see Joonmyeon sleeping peacefully, and then turned back to his sons. He walked over to the two cots, bending down to press a kiss to each of his boys heads. “I love you, Seokkie,” he mumbled against Minseok's small, knitted cap. “And I love you too, Lulu,” he whispered to his doe-eyed son.
    He stood back up, nodding to the two nurses before he turning back to Joonmyeon, to press a final kiss against his forehead. “I love you.” He whispered before he turned and left the room to find a nurse that could help him.

 

Author's Notes:

Hey~,

Here's the first of many chapters, and it's how Minseok and Luhan entered the family~. I hope you all enjoyed this first chapter, I know it's not as long as Of Storms and Nightmares, but I still hoped you really liked it.

By the way, did any of you catch the hidden note about the difference between their births? Twenty-five minutes. Get it?

Anyways~, thanks for reading and commenting,

~ Kay