2nd Promise

Can You Promise Me?

Please stay with me…

Don’t ever leave…

 

 

 

Sungmin’s POV

 

 

“WHAT?” I shouted. He’s dead? Does that mean I’m seeing ghosts? That can’t be true right? I took a deep breath. “What do you mean he’s dead? I saw him before lunch. He can’t be dead.” I said.

 

Ryeowook shook his head sadly. “No. Kyuhyun died a month ago. I remember, because I said goodbye to him.” He choked at the end. “You weren’t here when he died, cause you came in about 3 weeks ago. He had Cystic Fibrosis, which is similar to what you have, but there’s no absolute cure.” He said, a tear running down his cheek.

 

He wiped it away. “Anyway, I’m sure he’s somewhere in heaven right now, singing like he always wanted to.” He stuffed another cucumber roll into his mouth.

 

I blankly chewed on my sandwich. How could I see ghosts though? It has to be impossible right? I’ll have to ask Kyuhyun myself.

 

I stood up and dumped my half-eaten sandwich in the garbage. “I’m going to see Kyuhyun. He’s not dead. I know it.” Ryeowook sighed and went back to eating.

 

I jogged down through the hospital, going back to the place where I found Kyuhyun. He wasn’t there. I searched the area surrounding the little hall and found him, crouching in a corner with his knees pulled close to his body. He was ghostly pale, and almost transparent, just like last time I saw him.

 

“K-Kyuhyun-ah?” I asked hesitantly, afraid he wouldn’t answer. To my relief, he raised his head slightly. “Yes?” He said, his voice breathy and hollow. I shuffled a little closer. “What happened to you? Are you really… dead?” I said slowly.

 

Kyuhyun’s gaze didn’t waver. “Yes.” He replied simply. I gulped. “Then how can I see you?” Kyuhyun kept staring at me. He stood up, and walked silently, like literally no sound at all, and stopped in front of me. “How can I see you?” I asked again. Kyuhyun shook his head. “Don’t know.” He kept walking and I thought he was going to hug me or something.

 

But he passed right through me.

 

I felt a chill run down my spine as his ethereal body contacted with mine. I turned around and watched him turn the corner. I followed after him. “Wait!” I yelled. I had so many questions for him.

 

Kyuhyun stopped. I went to stand in front of him. “Why didn’t you go to the afterlife? Why are you still here?” I blurted. Kyuhyun’s expression was still barren. “I don’t know.”

 

As if that was a valid answer. “You must know something!” I sighed. Kyuhyun lowered his eyes. I pursed my lips. How am I going to get answers out of him?

 

Then I remembered Ryeowook saying he liked singing.

 

“Kyuhyun-ah!” I smiled. Kyuhyun blinked, startled. Or as startled as a ghost could be. “You like singing right?” I was about to grab his hand but remembered he was a ghost. Kyuhyun’s expression brightened ever so slightly. “Yes.” He said. I grinned. “Then let’s go sing!”

 

I brought him to the hospital’s music room. “Let’s sing a song together, okay?” I picked up a guitar and started strumming chords.

 

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you've dreamed of
Once in a lullaby

I nodded at Kyuhyun to sing this part. He sat at the piano and played while singing.

 

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

 

I came in again and sang with Kyuhyun.

 

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.

 

We ended the song there and I clapped. “Wow, Kyuhyun! You’re such a great singer!” Kyuhyun’s expression remained inert, but his eyes were glowing with happiness. I put the guitar back in its stand and sat next to him. “You must have really liked singing if you have such a nice voice.”

 

“Yes.” Kyuhyun answered. “I did. But I couldn’t.” I frowned. “Why?” I asked. Kyuhyun’s eyes clouded again. “I… I should tell you.”