Chapter Eight

Stranded

For a while, the small ship drifted through the ocean; its passengers silent, and the only thing to be heard was the incessant squawks of the birds gliding overhead. 

"God, I wish they would just shut up, " Changjo said with gritted teeth. 

"I find the sound beautiful," Minji stated as if it were a matter of fact.

"I guess you could see the beauty in anything if you allow that to be your boyfriend," Changjo gestured to Zico with the tilt of his head, who was currently sticking his finger into his belly button.

"What is your issue?" Minji snapped, "Why the hell are you so rude!"

"My issue is that your boyfriend has doomed us all!" Changjo argued, "If it wasn't for his lack of average human intelligance, we'd all be enjoying our vacation."

"I wasn't on vacation," Kara awkwardly chimed in attempt to end their arguement, "I work on the ship..."

"Yeah, me too," Chanyeol added, just as awkward.

"That's a conversation topic!" Angela joined,  desperately trying to change the subject, "Let's discuss that and not yell at eachother!  I work at a bakery."

"I recently earned a judgeship," Minji spoke with a prdieful tone.

"Congratulations," Changjo sarcastically praised her.

"He runs a dojo," Angela quickly interjected.

"And I run an auto-shop," Zico said, seemingly proud of himself.

"That's cool..." Chanyeol said slowly.  He turned his attention to the Ji Hye, "What about you?"

"Oh, I just graduated high school," she mumbled, "But I think I want to be a graphic designer or something." She shrugged.

"So that makes you, what? 17?" Angela asked.

"I just turned 18, actually," Ji Hye beamed, excited of nearing adulthood.

"I'm a medical student: studying to be a surgeon," Lay spoke up.

"Oh, he speaks Korean," Minji smiled, "Hello~"

"Hi," he bowed his head.

"What about your friend?" she inquired.

"He doesn't speak Korean..." Lay added.

"I mean what's his job?" Minji corrected her question.

"He attends design school and claims he models, but don't be decieved," Lay spoke.

"What are you saying about me?" Tao spoke in Chinese, glaring at his friend.

"I told them that you have the look of a model," Lay grinned cheekily.

"They can see that for themselves," Tao elongated his neck, showing off his sharp jawline.

"I speak Korean,  too!" Chanyeol joined the  conversation, extending his arms for emphasis and in the process, smacking his girlfriend in the face with brute force accidentally.  She toppled over the side of the small dingy, flailing her arms to remain above water.

"Oh crap! Sorry!" Chanyeol paniced, leaning over the edge of the life boat.

"Just, help me," Kara spit the bitter salt water from .

"Your nose is bleeding.  Really badly..." Chanyeol cringed, stating the obvious.

"Typically that's what happens when somebody gets punched in the face," Angela chided the towering boy.

"I didn't punch her..on purpose...." he apologized.

Tao, being the only one seeming to care that somebody was being cast away from the boat, hauled the girl aboard.  She shivered, drenched in cold water, and her nose was still dripping with profuse amounts of blood.

"Ow, ow, ow, ow-" she pinched her nose.

Lay, stared at the gushing bloody, beginning to feel overwhelmed and dizzy.  His sight blurred and he collapsed into Tao's lap.

"Oh, great, a surgeon who can't stand the sight of blood," Angela groaned.

"Some one get me a cloth or something," Kara blurted, her hands stained with the blood of her nose.

"Right," Chanyeol noddded, looking for something to help.

"Ew, what's wrong with your face," Zico scrunched his nose, looking at Kara.

"Thank you?" Kara furrowed her brows.

"No, I mean, your nose," Zico stammered.

"Yeah, it's bleeding and in pain," she continued to complain, "Somebody please get me some cloth?"

"It looks broken," Minji explained.

Tao, in attempts to brag help, removed his shirt and handed it to the girl soaked in ocean water and blood.

"ASDFGHJKL~~" She shrieked, burying her face in his white shirt.

"Damn..." Angela's jaw dropped upon sight  of the shirtless.

"PUT YOUR SHIRT ON!  THIS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!" Minji rambled, hiding her blushing cheeks.

"Keep it off for as long as you'd like," Ji Hye nodded, with an approving smile.

"Show off," Zico grumbled.

"Stop looking!" Chanyeol childishly whined as his girlfriend eyed Tao with bug  eyes.  In a panic, he swung his arm to cover her eyes, which only resulted in him knocking her overboard once more.

"Oh!" He yelled, hoisting her back onto the boat.

Soon, all of the hectic chaos ended and the lot of them sat in silence.  Zico insisted that Tao wear a shirt and forced him to put his back on, despite it being spotted with blood from Kara's  nose, and in substitution for a bandage of some sort, Zico gave her some tampons to stuff up her nose.  For a minute or two, they all sat in the most awkward silence that could have possibly existed.

"All of the food is wet..." She spoke solemnly, wiping the soaked mush that was once a brownie from her stomach, "And I'm pretty sure my nose is broken..."  Shr brought her hand to her nose, gently poking the swollen bruise and wincing at the pain.  "Thanks Chanyeol...."

"So....." Angela started, "Uh...how long have you two been dating?"

"Today's actually our one hundred day anniversary," Chanyeol stated with a radiant smile, "What a way to celebrate!"

"Yeah!" Kara agreed.

Another silence......

".......Do you guys like sports?" Changjo attempted to initiate a discussion.

"Does ballet count?" Ji Hye twisted her lips.

"No."

"Ok."

...........

"So we're cast away to sea and all you people care about is wether or not we participate in sports?" Minji began, "We are probably going to starve once our supply of stolen buffet food goes away!  Do any of you have a cell phone?"

"Yeah, but no reception," Angela pointed out the fault in that idea.

"Ok, but we need blankets or food or something!" Minji cried.

"Oh, remember?" Kara looked to Chanyeol, "When we got jobs here they made us attend that emergency seminar."

"Oh yeah!" Chanyeol grinned, reaching toward the center of the ship and raising a loose floor board to reveal a  collection of supplies, "Look, there's a first aid kit, some blankets, water bottles.  See, nothing to panic about."
"Oh yay!" Minji sarcastically cheered, "We have  a pack of water bottles and a flare gun, now we definately won't die!  That will last us what, a month?"

"Let's just go to sleep and hope for the best," Kara rubbed her eyes, pulling herself closer to Chanyeol as if her were a pillow.

The others did not speak but complied to that idea.  The sun had  begann to set over the horizon, ending their second day at sea.  Oddly, the majority of them did not feel paniced or scared, but they felt a sense.  All except for Minji and Zico, who were certain that there lives would be cut short by starvation.  Soon, all eight of them had drifted into sleep.  It wasn't until the next morning that Changjo, Chanyeol, Zico, and the toher boys had risen from their sleep to find that the four girls were missing and the small life boat had drifted to the  shore of an isolated beach somewhere in the Paciffic Ocean.