02 - a basket full of trouble

The Snow Queen

To Kris they looked like a herd of cows, the way they all stood behind the counter and chewed. They all stared into the same direction, they all had a fruit in their hand. Every once in a while one of them took another bite, let out a sigh, or mumbled something. None of them really seemed to care what the others around them did.

"How was I supposed to know that they would like raw octopus?" Chanyeol muttered and took a bite of his apple. "Everyone in my family hates it."

"The wedding was perfect," Kim Joonmyun said absent-mindedly, as he peeled another orange in an incredibly messy way. Juice dripped on the wooden surface of the counter. "I thought it would be exactly like that."

"If she wants to act like my mother, why is Mr Kim the one who has to help me with the bandages anyway?" Kim Jongin sighed, while peeling his second banana. Someone had once told Kris that it was dangerous to eat too many bananas, although he wasn't so sure why. He surely wouldn't warn Jongin.

"Did you get hurt?" Chanyeol asked in a worried tone and turned to Jongin, who looked as if he hadn't realized that he was saying those things out loud. Him getting hurt probably had to do with that Snow Queen thing, but he obviously couldn't tell Chanyeol, not if he wanted to keep his secret identity hidden. Maybe that could drive him off.

"Yeah, did you get hurt?" Kris asked slyly and came closer. Jongin gave him an annoyed side glance before he shrugged, "Kind of. But it's nothing serious. I was fooling around with some friends."

Kris was about to question him further, when Kim Joonmyun let out a particularly deep sigh, as if he wanted everyone to acknowledge him to be the centre of the whole scene. He was the only paying customer after all, and Chanyeol and Jongin ate parts of the fruit basket his parents had forced him to bring along, as if there was nothing unusual about it, although it was clearly meant for Chanyeol's parents. There even was a card stuck between the leaves of a pineapple.

"What are we going to do now?" he asked in exasperation and angrily teared at the orange. "We can't possible let them meet each other."
What he meant was that his parents had invited Chanyeol's parents to their house. They had met Chanyeol a couple of times by then, and still liked him. From what Kris had heard, they were in fact so obsessed with him, that he constantly had to decline various offers and gifts, which in turn made them think of him even better. To them he probably looked like a humble saint, as if the only reason why he would have lived in poverty before was him being the modern Jesus. If the situation hadn't affected him personally, Kris would have found it incredibly hilarious.

"I can try to," Chanyeol began, but Kim Joonmyun interrupted him harshly.
"Don't" he said angrily. "Don't try anything. It won't work. They already prefer you over me, no matter what you do." When Chanyeol looked hurt, his expression softened a little.

It really was ridiculous, and Kris wished he had discovered Chanyeol's magical talent to break into other people's heart a little earlier. It probably was no wonder that his crazy stalker had had such a hard time in driving all his friends off. The moment she had looked away, he had already made new friends, forever finding some idiot who would help him, even if just for a while. He himself hadn't realized it of course, but if not for that ability of his, she would have destroyed him even faster.

"Sorry," Kim Joonmyun said and wiped off the juice on the counter with a striped handkerchief he pulled from his expensive-looking suit jacket. "It's just, I need them to hate you. Not only you, but also me. It has to be enough for them to throw me out."

"Why do you even need them to throw you out?" Chanyeol asked while chewing a pear. Something Kris really hated about him sometimes was that he often only started talking after taking a bite of something. He was quiet when he gulped his food down, as if him chewing improved the quality of his words. Kris used to think that it was because Chanyeol had always been drunk, by now he knew that he just had no proper eating manners.
And yet he was liked by Kim Joonmyun's parents and those people Kim Jongin lived with, although he constantly ate with them. It sure was a mystery.

"Some people just want to get rid of their parents," Jongin said glumly, and Kris snorted. The worse the relationship between him and his 'parents', the less likely was it that he would have to get involved with them. Jongin's mother never talked to Kris herself, she always made Jongin come along.

"But why?" Chanyeol frowned, as the only one who knew what it meant to have no one to rely on. "They're family. Why wouldn't you want them?"

Jongin looked down, probably because he felt guilty, and Kris decided that he had no further interest into the personal problems of those three idiots. At first he had thought that Kim Joonmyun would maybe give them a hint as to what they could do to help him, seeing that nothing had worked so far, but the whole conversation just lead nowhere, especially because of Jongin's random arrival.

He was just about to go to the back of the store to get himself a coffee, when Kim Joonmyung sighed, "There's a girl."

Kris stopped, and turned around.

"There's a girl I want to be with, but my parents wouldn't accept her. So I need them to hate me, so that she and I can be together."

There was silence for a few seconds, before Jongin muttered, "Are you serious?"
And Kris frankly wanted to ask the same.

 


I shortened the title for now, because this is only the second part anyway, so I guess it's not that hard to keep an overview.

This is the kind of story that obviously wouldn't attract many readers (I like to think that it's simply the type of genre people wouldn't care about when they read fics), but I still wondered whether it maybe scares people away, when the title already makes it clear that this is a sequel.

...that, and I don't really like long titles after all, despite my short phase of extensively long ones.