Chapter 6

Running Out of Stars

The event from this morning didn’t bother me for long. I forgot about it as soon as Chanyeol began to tell me all about their trip. He told me about Auntie Anne and the piles of boxes full of clothing. After he told me about his day, I told him all about mine.

                   “I was wondering about all the feathers.” He laughed.

          As dusk approached, Suho came up to me. “Hey Nic, I was wondering if you and Jandi could go get some more firewood for us real fast.”

          I glanced across the room at one of the other girls. Jandi stood putting on a jacket preparing to go outside. Of course I didn’t mind. I agreed and grabbed the jacket Suho offered. I then headed to the back door to wait for Jandi. When she finally made her way over, we exited the door and headed towards to gate.

                   “So Phoenix, you and D.O. huh?” Jandi broke the silence once we entered the woods. I looked at her confused.

                   “What about me and D.O.?”

                   “You know! You two are a thing, right?”

          I froze in my tracks and tried hard not to laugh. “Goodness no! We are just friends.” I stopped walking at a downed branch and began to break it apart with my hands.

                   “That’s not what he said…” She mumbled under her breath.

                   “What?” My head shot up.

                   “Hm? Oh, nothing.” Leave it to Jandi to start gossiping and spreading rumors. But I was concerned in case this rumor reached Xiumin. I’d lose all chances of having him as my own then.

                   “Jandi, there is nothing going on between me and D.O.”

                   “Ok, ok. I believe you.” She stopped talking and didn’t talk for the rest of the time we were working on the branch. Once we figured we had enough wood, we made our way back to the warehouse. Only then did Jandi speak up again. “So, if you don’t like D.O., who do you like?”

                   “UGH! Really Jandi?”

                   “Ooh I know! Is it Kai?” I spun around to her excited eyes with a look of disgust in my own. “Ok so not Kai… oh oh oh! Is it Kris?” I faked puking as my response. “Baekhyun?”

                   “Dude! He’s practically my other brother!!”

                   “Xiumin?”

          I didn’t mean to hesitate, but I did. “N-no! Look, I don’t like anyone ok?”

          Jandi smirked deviously as she noticed my hesitation. “Okie dokie then.” She skipped ahead and ran through the gate. I ran after her trying not to drop any of the pieces of wood I had in my arms. Jandi ran through the door without me. Obviously excited with her new gossip material. As I slowed down, I glanced at the walls built near the door. Beside one was a pile of wood. I stopped and stared at it incomprehensively. I looked back at the wood in my arms and then back to the pile we already had.  Why would Suho send me out if we already had plenty of wood? My thoughts flew through my mind as I tried to find an explanation. But none came. I decided that I would ask him about it later and slowly made my way back into the warehouse. I could tell something wasn’t right, but I never was a dramatic person so I assumed there was a reasonable cause for sending me away.

          Little did I know, the cause would change everything.