Regretful Results

The Demon Inside

Jonghyun~

Was it already morning?

With half-lidded eyes, Jonghyun glanced out the window. Ah. There was the peek of sun. He hadn’t slept a wink the whole night. He simply watched Taeyeon, checked on her puncture wounds, and thought. Throughout the end of the full moon, his claws had retracted, and his fangs had pulled back in. Jonghyun’s skin was a regular complexion now as well.

It was crazy. A human like her could like him. She liked him back. And she still liked him, even when he had just bitten her. With a shudder, Jonghyun pressed his face into his palms. What if he hadn’t been in control? Taeyeon had been his third drink that night. If she had been his first . . . she would’ve still been alive, but in much more danger.

He remembered the expression of horror when he grabbed her, the flash of startlement in her wide eyes. He recalled the way his demon side had taken over, and how all he could think when he saw her exposed neck was blood.

Jonghyun grinned up at the ceiling, although the gesture was humorless.

He wouldn’t tell Taeyeon that he liked her. It was simple. Reject her, find the demon, and turn human. All the while, keeping her safe. Jonghyun looked back down at Taeyeon, her sleeping face, and rubbed his thumb over her cheek.

He pulled away as soon as Taeyeon’s eyes opened. The movement was slow, deliberate. Her chocolate orbs zeroed in on him, and a faint blush coloring her cheeks told him that she was alert.

“You remember what you said?” he inquired. Taeyeon’s eyes darted to the floor before she nodded shortly.

“About . . . me . . . liking you?” she clarified quietly. Jonghyun tried his best to calm his heart rate down.

“Yeah.” They fell into a long silence. “Um. I’m sorry, Taeyeon.” Jonghyun’s heart dropped to his stomach when he saw the light in her eyes dim. The disappointment was visible on her face. “It’s not that I hate you, but-”

“It’s okay,” Taeyeon interrupted with a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes. Jonghyun’s words died in his throat. “I didn’t expect any more, I suppose.”

Don’t say that.

Jonghyun’s phone rang just as he opened his mouth to tell her - something, anything to make her smile - and he glanced at the caller ID with a frown. Jonghyun sighed and picked up, gripping the phone tightly against his ear.

“Yes, IU?” he muttered. His eyes followed Taeyeon as she got up and stumbled to the bathroom.

“Jonghyun oppa,” IU answered brightly. “I was just wondering if you were coming to work today?” Jonghyun pulled the phone away to check the time before putting it back to his cheek.

“I’m not late,” he said flatly.

“I know, but I was wondering if . . . you wanted to meet for breakfast before? Then we can head there together!” IU proposed hopefully. Jonghyun grimaced. If I can’t go out with Taeyeon, why would I go out with you?

“I’m already having breakfast, IU. Sorry,” Jonghyun told her.

“Then maybe after-?”

“I’m not interested in dating, IU. Sorry again,” Jonghyun snapped before hanging up. He looked up to see Taeyeon standing awkwardly by the TV.

“Um. We’re out of shampoo. I’ll go get it.” Taeyeon blindly grabbed into the dresser for a jacket and pulled out a hoodie. Then she dashed away. It wasn’t until Taeyeon slammed the door that Jonghyun realized she’d broken the first rule he’d set for her.

For some reason, he felt like today was a good day to follow her. It’s not stalking, he assured to himself as he peeked at her over the fence. As expected, Taeyeon wasn’t lying and ended up in front of a store.

Without shame, Jonghyun snuck between aisles to keep an eye on her. She was looking around the bottles lining the shelves, muttering to herself about not remembering the brand. She glanced up abruptly when Jonghyun dropped a plastic cup on the ground. He held his breath and slammed himself on the ground, laying flat. Thankfully, Taeyeon didn’t investigate any further.

Jonghyun sniffed the air when a familiar scent reached his nose. Jinki?

“Noona?”

Jonghyun sat up and looked over a row of tea sets. It was Jinki. What was he doing here?

“Jinki! What are you doing here?” Taeyeon spoke Jonghyun’s thoughts. Jinki grinned and held up his basket of groceries. “Oh, of course. Duh.” Taeyeon smiled, and it made Jonghyun pout. Jinki had made her smile that easily? Had she forgotten about what happened this morning? He wasn’t intending to be selfish, but he had literally just rejected her.

“Where’s Jonghyun?” Jinki asked, his smile falling when he saw Taeyeon’s shoulders fall. “What’s wrong?”

“He’s home,” Taeyeon muttered. Jinki’s eyebrows rose. “I know. He’s supposed to be with me when I leave. Blah, blah.” Taeyeon frowned. “I told him I liked him.” Jinki gasped.

“You did? Already?!”

So Jinki knew? That traitor! Jonghyun thought, shuffling forward as the two continued walking.

“I was sort of drunk, I guess. Um.” Taeyeon lowered her voice. “Jonghyun drank my blood.” Jinki’s eyes widened in shock. “It was an accident. He was outside the club. Maybe he drank the blood off of some drunks and got a little intoxicated?” The joking tone slowly faded away.

“Are-are you okay?” Jinki whispered. Jonghyun gripped the shelf and glared at nothing in particular while Taeyeon nodded.

“Yes. Besides the fact that he rejected me,” Taeyeon laughed. It wasn’t genuine. Jinki dropped his basket as he gaped at Taeyeon.

“Are you sure?” Taeyeon nodded. “But . . . I thought he . . . I figured he . . .” Jinki broke off and suddenly smiled. “Nevermind. It’s okay, Taeyeon noona! Fighting!” He bent down and picked up his basket. He leaned closer to Taeyeon. “Hold on, noona. There’s something in your eye.” He reached out and brushed his fingers across her face.

“Eh? Oh, thanks,” Taeyeon said, picking a few bottles of shampoo off the display. Jinki took it from her instantly. “What are you-?”

“I’ll pay. It’s the least I could do for my favorite noona,” Jinki assured her.

Jonghyun clenched his fist. Now that Jinki knew Taeyeon was free, was he trying to hit on her?!

“Mm, Taeyeon, do you want to go out and get a meal with me?” Jinki offered as he paid for the things. Taeyeon blinked at him questioningly.

Jonghyun quickly pulled out his phone and started typing violently.

 

To: Idiot Noona

You better get home right now! You’re breaking Rule 1, and Rudolph is in trouble!

 

“I guess I’m free, so - huh?” Taeyeon pulled out her phone, which had just beeped. Taeyeon bit her lip as she read the message. “Nevermind . . . I have to get home. Stupid dino.”

Even though she had made fun of him again, Jonghyun was satisfied. He got up and snuck out of the store. Then he broke into a mad sprint home, making sure to get there before Taeyeon did. Panting, he collapsed on the couch and lay there, checking his phone to see if she replied.

She hadn’t.

When Taeyeon finally got home, Jonghyun was bitter to hear Jinki’s voice, too.

“I’ll see you later, then, noona!”

Stop calling her noona, damn it! Jonghyun stressed, sitting up as the door closed. Taeyeon jumped when she found Jonghyun on the couch.

“Where’s Rudolph? Is she okay?”

“It was a false alarm,” Jonghyun said curtly.

“Oh.” Taeyeon frowned.

“Why? Did you have other plans? Without me?” Jonghyun demanded. Taeyeon gave him a weird look.

“No . . . and shouldn’t you be at work?” Jonghyun checked the time and cursed. Now he was late.

“Fine. But don’t leave without telling me again,” he ordered, grumbling as he stalked off. A minute later, he got a text. It was from Jinki.

 

To: Jjong

You’re jealous, right? Aigoo~

 

Gawking at the message, Jonghyun typed in a reply as he jogged to work.

 

To: Jinks

Yah, how would you know? What are you talking about?

 

To: Jjong

You think I wouldn’t notice you stalking our noona? Jonghyun is so~ cute. Why did you reject her if you like her?

 

To: Jinks

I don’t like her! She broke a rule, so I just made sure she wasn’t…being an idiot. And does that mean you were flirting with her on purpose?!?! DO YOU WANT TO DIE?!

 

To: Jjong

Aigoo, you even sound jealous through texts. Who said I was flirting ;) Our Jonghyun is a babo.

 

Jonghyun glared at the screen as he entered the vet clinic, ignoring IU’s instant bombarding of questions and chirpy attempts at asking him out again. He bowed in apology, still glowering, when Doctor Jung asked him why he was late.

“Girls,” he retorted.

“Ah. Did Taeyeon reject you when you confessed?” Doctor Jung asked. Jonghyun’s jaw dropped. Could everyone literally read him like an open book?

“No! It’s the other way around!” Jonghyun exclaimed.

“What? I thought for sure that you would be the lovesick puppy. You remind me of a lot of the pets that come through here,” Doctor Jung noted. Jonghyun rubbed his face tiredly. Everyone wanted him to confess with her. He wanted to.

But he couldn’t.

“Well, you should tell her the truth soon. I’m old, not blind. You don’t want to let that girl slip through your fingers,” Doctor Jung informed him. Jonghyun nodded, wishing they all would just let him live in peace. Let him work in peace. Let him feel in peace. Just then, his phone beeped again.

 

To: Jjong

Yah! Why are you ignoring my msg? Are you in denial?

 

Jonghyun growled at his phone, causing Doctor Jung to look at him oddly. He smiled apologetically.

 

To: Jinks

I’m working. Leave me alone.

 

To: Jjong

Does that mean I can take Taeyeon out to lunch then?

 

To: Jinks

Don’t you dare!

 

However, the text got him worried. What would Taeyeon have for lunch? He dialed her number and placed the phone between his cheek and shoulder as it rang.

“Um . . . hello?” Taeyeon answered uncertainly. She sounded hesitant to talk to him. Dejected, Jonghyun cleared his throat.

“Uh, hi. Do you know what you’ll be having for lunch?” Jonghyun asked as he prepared the vaccine for their current client.

“I don’t think so,” Taeyeon replied, sounding confused as to why Jonghyun was asking her this. “I guess I’ll just make myself leftovers.”

“Leftovers?! You shouldn’t eat that. You deserve to eat more,” Jonghyun blurted. He clamped his mouth shut and closed his eyes. God, how embarrassing. Doctor Jung was doubled over in silent laughter. “Go out and buy something! Cash is in the dish on the kitchen counter.”

“But - I - it’s fine. I don’t want to eat out alone, anyways,” Taeyeon answered. “I’m hanging up now.”

“Wait!” Jonghyun shouted. “Just meet me at the restaurant down the street from the clinic. Do you know what I’m talking about?”

Doctor Jung was still chortling, but now he was leaning back and clutching his stomach. Jonghyun frowned at his boss.

“I do know, but you don’t have to force yourself to do this, Jonghyun. I know you feel bad, but it’s not necessary.” Taeyeon sighed. “Bye, Jonghyun.” Then there was a click. Jonghyun’s hand fell to his side, his whole posture drooping. He hadn’t been forcing himself at all.

Taeyeon, you make me feel like an idiot. You make me act stupid. I’ve changed so much for you, and this is how it ends up, Jonghyun thought solemnly, putting his phone away.

“Do you need a longer lunch break,” Doctor Jung offered, wiping tears from his eyes.

“No,” Jonghyun mumbled. “She’s not going to come.” Doctor Jung put a hand on Jonghyun’s shoulder, looking as if he was going to share some wise, fatherly words. Jonghyun mentally prepared himself for the words of sympathy.

“That’s what you get for rejecting her. Karma’s a b!tch,” Doctor Jung said curtly, taking the bottle from Jonghyun.

Taeyeon~

She was a complete idiot. She should have never gone to the club. She should have never gotten drunk off of lack of blood. She should have never confessed. Taeyeon hung up on Jonghyun, tears in her eyes. She should have never fallen for him in the first place.

Her phone rang again and she sighed at the name displayed on screen.

“Tiffany?” Taeyeon answered, trying to hold in the sound of her tears.

“What’s wrong?” her best friend said immediately, catching her broken tone. That caused Taeyeon to break down right then and there. “Taeyeon? Taeyeon! I called because I was worried. What happened to you yesterday? Oh, my gosh, did some guy do something to you?”

“No, no - I mean, yes, technically,” Taeyeon sobbed, “but it was Jonghyun.”

“Jonghyun?” Tiffany repeated, sounding puzzled. Then louder, “Jonghyun? Nichkhun, GET OVER HERE!” There was shuffling, and Tiffany’s boyfriend’s muffled voice came through the phone.

“What’s wrong?”

“Give me your shoes!”

“What?”

“I’m wearing heels, and I can’t wear this when I am about to jump someone!” Tiffany shrieked. Taeyeon looked at her phone and then held it to her ear again.

“Tiff, what are you saying? Calm down, and stop trying to take off my shoes!” Nichkhun was screaming.

“I am about to cut Kim Jonghyun, I swear!” Tiffany continued.

“Tiffany! Listen to Nichkhun! Calm down!” Taeyeon shouted, wiping the wetness of her face. “I was sort of not in my right mind when I told him, so I guess it makes sense.” It didn’t, actually. “It’s just as awkward for him as it’s . . . heartbreaking for me.”

“I am still going to murder him,” Tiffany promised.

“You can’t.”

“I will.”

“You shouldn’t.”

“I will.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“I will.”

“Babe, give me the phone. I’ll talk some sense into her,” Nichkhun’s voice announced.

Thank you,” Tiffany sighed. The sound of her handing the phone over came through.

“Ahem. Bye, Taeyeon. Sorry Tiffany’s not thinking straight sometimes.”

“You mean all the time?” Taeyeon supplied, grinning slightly as she hung up. Although she hadn’t vented out her feelings much, just the fact that her friend had been there for her was enough. She turned back to the laptop, which she had been staring at all day. From all the articles, it seemed as if the demon had been striking in the area a lot recently.

In order to avoid thinking about Jonghyun, a plan had formulated in Taeyeon’s mind. She wrote it all down in her journal, staring into space for a while when she finished.

I hate you, Kim Jonghyun, she decided. I hate you for making me love you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

MY INTERNET BROKE DOWN

I WILL KILL EVERYTHINGGGGGG

I woke up yesterday about an hour after they said they would fix it

And it was still down

horror

But after a long call, it finally worked!

YEESSSSSS

And have you guys checked out my third story?

It will be updated after this story is done!

Please check out Special ~~~~

And please fill out the polls I have on there!

It will really help and affect my story >~<

peace ^~^

Thank you for reading this chapter!

Mm, maybe the plot will move on supernatural-wise in the next one?

Who knows? Because I don't.

ugh.

Bye-bye!