Full Moon

The Demon Inside

Taeyeon~

Jonghyun had been acting weird lately since the date - no, the trip to the movies. To be honest, Taeyeon herself had felt a little different. More butterflies in her stomach and faster beats of the heart. But that didn’t mean she outright ignored him.

Jonghyun wouldn’t even look at her. He insisted on sleeping on the couch, making up sad excuses about how he found the cushions there better than the mattress. When it was time for meals, he’d assure her that she didn’t need to cook for him and eat out. He almost always had a photoshoot to attend, and an emergency at the vet constantly.

That was what irritated her the most. The vet. With IU.

“Why are you avoiding me?” she demanded, finally cornering him when he came home late one night. There was a silence before the light clicked on. Taeyeon stood in the middle of the living room with her pajamas, arm crossed as she glared at Jonghyun.

She noticed as his eyes faltered when they ran over her, then quickly darted away. He wouldn’t answer. Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at the leather jacket he was clutching in his hands, and the smell of . . . alcohol?

“Did you go clubbing? And . . . did you drink? You know you shouldn’t do that! You could’ve turned in the middle of dancing or something!” Taeyeon lectured as she took away his jacket, leading him to the couch. She stopped. “Um . . . do you want to get your room back?” These past days, she’d been trying to convince him to go back to his room.

Jonghyun shook his head and collapsed on the couch, a satisfied yet somehow pained smile curving his lips. He nuzzled his head into Taeyeon’s hand as she tried to get him to drink some water.

“Come on, drink. Do you want a really bad hangover or a bad hangover?”

“Ba-a-a-a-a-a-ad,” Jonghyun answered. Like a sheep. Taeyeon held in a giggle and bit her lip as she brushed the fringe out of his eyes.

“Jonghyun, don’t you want to get undressed? Your clothes smell . . . disgusting, no offense,” Taeyeon admitted quietly.

“Change me,” Jonghyun cheered, suddenly shooting up and raising his arms, eyes still closed. Taeyeon raised her eyebrows at him, waiting until he looked at her stubborn expression. There was no way she was helping him strip. When Jonghyun’s deep brown irises were revealed, he only looked at her for a second before his gaze shot away again. “N’vrmind. ‘S good.”

He laid back down.

“I knew it. You’re avoiding me, Kim Jonghyun!” Taeyeon’s shoulder drooped slightly. “Even when you’re not sober.”

Jonghyun shook his head, burying his face into the couch. He sighed and punched the cushions angrily, as if he were struggling. “No, no. Don’t think about it like that . . .” Taeyeon could only stare as his arm wrapped around her and pulled her close. “M’sun-d’stan.”

“W-What?” she whispered, leaning closer to hear better. She could detect the sound of his consciousness fading into sleep.

“Misunderstand. You misunderstand,” Jonghyun managed to say before he fell silent. Taeyeon sighed and leaned against the couch, facing the black TV screen. She glanced back at Jonghyun and shook her head.

“That’s the problem. I don’t understand.”

 

~~~~~~~

 

When Taeyeon woke up, she was still slumped against the couch. Her eyes opened to meet with Jonghyun’s. He immediately turned away from her, much to Taeyeon’s disappointment. Hurt, she held out a glass of water to him and a pill.

“Headache?” she guessed as Jonghyun groaned to take the medicine. Still not looking at her, he nodded. Taeyeon sighed and clenched her fist over her shirt, tugging the material in frustration. “I . . . you . . .” She racked her brain, trying to find something to say. “Tonight’s a full moon.”

The thought replayed over and over as the realization dawned on her. She’d checked the dates for all the full moons, and today was the day. Jonghyun’s breath hitched, and finally, finally, he stared into her eyes for more than a second.

Only to hiss “get out.”

“What?” Taeyeon gasped.

“I said ‘get out!’” Jonghyun insisted. He stood up, gripping his throbbing head in pain. Nonetheless, he ignored it, pulling Taeyeon up by her elbow. “Call up Jinki. You can’t be here when I lose control.”

“I thought you’re still in control!” Taeyeon shook his grip off stubbornly. “I don’t think you’re going to drain all my blood out, Jonghyun.”

He shook his head vehemently. “I’m not letting you anywhere near me when I turn demon. It’s a danger to you.”

Taeyeon was about to give up on the whole idea of protesting when something clicked in her mind. “Wait. Isn’t the only reason I’m staying here is because you’re a danger to me?”

Jonghyun froze. Then he lowered his head so that his bangs covered his eyes.

“Really? Is that the only reason you’re here?” Jonghyun questioned. Taeyeon gripped her shirt again, because she wasn’t really sure. “Well?” Jonghyun’s eyes rose to pierce at her. Taeyeon stepped back.

“I-”

“To tell you the truth, I would never hurt you. Or murder you. I just wanted to find a way to become a person . . . that won’t hurt. So now that you know that, I guess you can leave, right?” Jonghyun laughed dryly. “I guess I don’t need you anymore? You’ve helped me enough.”

Taeyeon took a deep breath. “You really never planned on hurting me?” She already knew the answer, but she just wanted to hear him admit it. Jonghyun rubbed his face before glowering at her.

“No.”

They stared blankly at each other for about a minute. Finally, Taeyeon jumped forward and threw her arms out in a dramatic pose.

“Then I’m staying!” She faltered at Jonghyun’s surprised expression. “You thought I’d actually leave? Of course I want to help you.” In her head, her speech continued. I’ve grown so close to you, so it’s natural that I want to make you happy. And I like you. She shuddered at the cheesiness of her mental confession.

Jonghyun’s expression softened. “Oh . . . thank you,” he said genuinely. “Now get out.”

Taeyeon screamed in protest as Jonghyun shoved her out the door.

“Yah, Kim Jonghyun! I will so kill you tomorrow!” Taeyeon shouted, kicking the door before storming down the hall.

Jonghyun~

To: Jinks

I don’t know if Taeyeon has called you yet, but it’s a full moon tonight. Can you take her in?

 

Jonghyun waited for a reply.

 

To: Jjong

Tonight’s not a free night for me, but I’m driving to your place right now. I’ll pick her up and drop her off at Minho’s?

 

Jonghyun immediately stiffened. It was already difficult giving her up to Jinki, his best friend. There was no way he’d let her stay alone with Minho, the model. Jonghyun sent a quick text to Taeyeon.

 

To: Idiot Noona

Jinki can’t let you stay over today, so I suggest you go to that editor - Stephanie’s?

 

To: Stupid Dino

Fine. And it’s Tiffany, dimwit.

 

Jonghyun shook his head and ruffled his hair, trying to think of where he should stalk for his next . . . prey. With a sigh, he glanced at his leather jacket. He shook his head and started towards the bathroom to get ready and get some breakfast.

“I guess I’m going to the club again,” Jonghyun said aloud. But this time, he wouldn’t be drinking alcohol.

Taeyeon~

“You’re back, you’re back! I knew you wouldn’t be able to stand that shortie for long!” Tiffany cheered as she flung open the door, crushing Taeyeon into a hug. “Did you guys break up?”

“I didn’t leave Jonghyun,” Taeyeon corrected her, immediately knowing that she was referring to him when she said shortie. “And besides, we’re just friends.” Tiffany pursed her lips and gave her a knowing smirk. Taeyeon hung her head in shame. “I may or may not like him. Just a bit.”

“I knew this would happen,” Tiffany gushed, dragging Taeyeon into the house. “Is this why you’re over? Do you want to rant your feelings to your best friend?”

“Actually, he kicked me out for tonight.” Tiffany’s jaw dropped in horror. “It’s not like that. He’s going to be . . . out, and he thinks it’s dangerous for me to be alone.” Actually, he thinks it’s dangerous for me to be with him.

“That is ridiculous. He did that last minute?” Tiffany criticized. Taeyeon ignored her friend, knowing that she was merely doing that out of concern.

The two spent the whole day talking about why Taeyeon even considered Jonghyun. It was actually Tiffany dissing everything Taeyeon had to say about him, which was sort of uncomfortable but amusing.

“You know what? We should go out. We haven’t seen each other in forever,” Tiffany complained around dinner time. Taeyeon glanced up from her phone and wrinkled her nose.

“It wasn’t that long,” Taeyeon insisted as Tiffany shook her head and ran to her closet. Her friend pulled out a few dresses and high heels, flinging them at Taeyeon. “What are you doing?!”

“What does it look like? We’re going clubbing!”

 

~~~~~~~

 

“Oh, yeah, this is totally spending girl time with each other since we haven’t seen each other in forever,” Taeyeon said sarcastically. Tiffany and Nichkhun were next to her at the bar, flirting and being completely sappy. Taeyeon felt like a third wheel, and worried that the two would be moving on to more disturbing things as the night went on.

“Sorry, but I haven’t seen this boy in forever, too,” Tiffany said defensively. Nichkhun started to say something about seeing Tiffany just two days ago, but she held up her hand. “Sweetie, you should go to the dance floor. Have some fun, meet someone who could possibly be even better than shortie maybe.”

Unlikely, Taeyeon thought, but she stood up and headed into the mass of bodies and flashing lights anyway. Being here reminded her of Jonghyun coming home late yesterday. She sighed and glanced at Tiffany and Nichkhun to make sure they weren’t watching.

Then she slipped out of the club. She breathed in the fresh air eagerly, walking off to the side of the building. She gasped as she was suddenly pulled into the alley.

Am I going to get mugged? Or ? Taeyeon looked at her attacker in shock, ready to scream, but froze. Is this deja vu?

“Jonghyun?” Taeyeon searched his eyes, which were now a bright red. What was he doing out here . . .? Oh, no.

Jonghyun looked really confused to see her, too.

“Am I seeing things . . .?” he growled, eyes flickering to their usual dark brown. Then suddenly, they flashed crimson red again, completely taking over his irises. His fangs slid out, and his claws wrapped around the back of Taeyeon’s neck. With a gasp, Taeyeon watched as black veins began to thread over his pale skin. His voice had completely changed. “Don’t worry, girlie. You’ll forget about everything you saw tonight once I’m done with you.”

His hand clamped over Taeyeon’s, and his mouth was suddenly on her neck. Taeyeon’s muffled scream sounded when his fangs sank into her ivory skin. Who was this person? Who was this monster?

It wasn’t like Jonghyun at all. It wasn't Jonghyun.

“Jonghyun . . . Jonghyun, stop,” Taeyeon begged into his palm. It was useless. She grabbed his head and tried to get him to look at her. Annoyed, his eyes darted up to hers, and they flickered again. Yes. Please come back! Taeyeon felt a bit light headed as Jonghyun pulled away.

“T . . . Tae . . .” Jonghyun put a hand to his forehead. “My brain can’t even work right,” he muttered, “even when she’s not here . . .”

Taeyeon had no idea what he was saying, but she stumbled forward.

“You stupid dino,” she gasped. At the sound of the nickname, Jonghyun’s arms shot out to catch her. His eyes widened in horror. Taeyeon put her fingers to her neck and felt the wet blood running down her skin. “Crap.”

“T-Taeyeon?” Jonghyun rasped. Taeyeon frowned up at him. She was seeing two Jonghyun’s at the moment. “Taeyeon! Oh, no. What have I done, what have I done?!

“Dizzy,” Taeyeon whimpered as her legs gave out. Jonghyun scooped her up immediately, shaking her.

“It’s okay. You didn’t lose that much blood. Stay awake, okay?”

“Tired,” Taeyeon continued. Jonghyun nodded understandingly, moving her hair out of her face. He stared at her neck, which still had blood all over it. “Just wipe it off, Jonghyun. It’s fine,” Taeyeon whispered. “Can you get the bleeding to stop?” Jonghyun nodded as his eyes danced with red.

“I don’t know if I can control myself, but as long as you keep talking to me . . . I’m sorry,” Jonghyun choked as he sprinted home. Taeyeon held tightly onto his shoulders, trying not to throw up.

“I think I would have been safer if you’d let me stay at your place,” she moaned in pain. Her eyes shot open when she realized that Jonghyun was the blood off her neck.

Calm down, Taeyeon, she told herself. Why are you more concerned about that when he just drank your blood?

“I know. I thought that if I came home as a demon with the blood not cleaned off me, you would’ve . . . I wasn’t thinking,” Jonghyun explained, breath ghosting over .

“Are you well fed yet?” Taeyeon asked softly, feeling sleepy.

“Stupid. Don’t worry about me. Look, we’re here.” Jonghyun dug out his keys, struggling to hold her up and open the door at the same time. He pulled off her heels and tossed it on the floor.

“Of all people, it had to be me, huh?” Taeyeon laughed at the irony of the situation.

Jonghyun paused as he closed the door, quiet until he set Taeyeon down on the bed. He began to tend to her wound, sighing softly. “I think I was just attracted to your scent. I couldn’t help but try what looked good. By the way, I like your dress. It’s your friend’s, huh?”

Taeyeon felt the blood (that Jonghyun hadn’t out yet) rush to her cheeks. She nodded and winced.

“Jonghyun,” Taeyeon whispered. He leaned closer. “Are you still going to ignore me?” She watched the emotions play over his face painfully.

“No. I’m sorry. I was just confused about some things. Worried.”

“Good,” Taeyeon breathed in relief. Somehow, the loss of blood made her feel very . . . drunk. Drowsy. Lost. All at once. “Because I don’t want you to ignore me. Because I like you.”

And then Taeyeon missed Jonghyun’s priceless expression as she fell asleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Did everything move too fast?

I just didn't want the two to take SOOOOO long in confessing

I understand the feeling in waiting to confess

smh

not fun . . .

Plus, I'm working on my next story

I'm going to be posting the foreword soon! Will add the link to this story later on!

I will not add chapters to it until after this fic though

heehee

I'm not sure how long I want this one to be

But I'm trying my hardest to get things going here!

I have a feeling it won't be super long

dun-dun-duuuun

I like demon stories, but I don't really know much about demons to write it maybe?

;D

No shame~~~

And the chapters are getting shorter because I am a lazy procrastinator

laaaazzzyyyyyyy

So sorry!

OTL

Goodbye, dear readers!

swerve

-pannashawol