Calm . . . Then Panic Again!

The Demon Inside

Taeyeon~

“Wake up, pretty face.”

That voice.

With a bit of struggle, Taeyeon managed to get her eyes open. She was met with a fancy chandelier blinding her with its brightness, and she immediately shut her eyes again.

“Ah-ah-a~h. Open up. Here, I’ll turn it off.” Clap, clap. Through her eyelids, she could see the dimming of the light, so she opened them again. She squinted into the darkness, only able to see thanks to the glow of the sun through the rich curtains.

“Kim Kibum,” she gasped, falling off of where she’d been laying. She turned around, rubbing her back to glare at the expensive looking recliner she’d been resting on.

“You remember my name, pretty face? I did, too. Kim Taeyeon.” Kibum smiled as he threw a stack of newspapers to her feet, all with articles she’d written before. “I did a bit of research. Just like you did to me, right?” Taeyeon’s eyes widened.

“Are you . . .?”

“Saying that we took your laptop and searched through your history? Yes.” That wasn’t the question she’d been meaning to ask. Are you the demon? “You see, after all these incidents happening to my company, I was getting a little worked up. Like - what - the - hell?”

Kibum was walking around the large office and slammed his hand on the desk, where his nameplate rested. His name spelled across the glass in delicate characters.

“I’ve worked way too hard to lose all my efforts to a scandal. Demons? Please.” Kibum laughed, throwing his head back with the chuckles. “As if. But then I started thinking. Why the hell did my cousin, his old buddy, and his high school pal come together with me . . . to help you? With your damn demon project?”

Taeyeon reeled back when Kibum came too close for her liking. He laughed again.

“I don’t know. So I asked my people to look up some things. The ones who weren’t in the hospital from losing so much blood to an unknown being!” Kibum stressed, jerking Taeyeon’s face up by the chin. “I was actually expecting Jonghyun to be at home with you. I thought that’d be a problem. The dude’s protective of his things, and I could tell he was especially protective of you.”

“What do you mean by that?” Taeyeon whispered. Kibum paused, looking her up and down before muttering something under his breath.

“Not getting involved in this stupid love story” Taeyeon managed to catch. “Let the two idiots find it out for themselves.”

“Why did you kidnap me?” Taeyeon demanded.

“Oh, I didn’t. See the guy in the corner, by the door?” Taeyeon followed Kibum’s finger to the tall, slouching stranger’s silhouette resting by the large entrance to the office. Taeyeon shuddered. “He was the one who kidnapped you. I don’t do the dirty work.”

“She’s feisty,” the man grouched. “My head’s bleeding because of that damn lamp.”

“Oh, boo-hoo. I’ll break into your house next time so you can get me back,” Taeyeon said sarcastically. Kibum snorted.

“Yah. I’m going to ask you this once and only once.” He got down to eye level with her, feline eyes piercing and accusing. “Are you the demon who has been jumping my company employees?”

Taeyeon stared at Kibum for a long time. Their gazes didn’t break until she finally started cracking up. Kibum’s eyes widened in shock as he straightened, watching the girl roll on the floor with laughter.

Clap, clap. The lights again to reveal Kibum glaring at her.

“Y-you think . . . gasp . . . I’m . . . wheeze,” Taeyeon struggled.

“Why else would you be searching ways to get rid of a demon from a person’s body?! And why are you looking up me and Minho and Doojoon? I know about the social world, models and idols, and I know Doojoon close enough for him to tell me you and my cousin are going to get married. Does Jonghyun know that you’re a demon?” Kibum picked up her laptop and waved it around.

“Yah!” Taeyeon shouted. “You’re invading my privacy!” She retrieved her laptop back and scowled at him. “And I’m not a demon! I’ve been searching for the demon. And I was looking up those people because I thought they were suspects!”

What? You think I’m sick enough to hunt down my own employees if I were a demon?!” Kibum gasped. “And why are you even looking up this demon?”

“I’m a journalist. What do you think?” Taeyeon said quickly. Cousin or not, she knew Jonghyun didn’t want to let Kibum know about him being half-demon.

“What makes you think I’ll believe you? I don’t trust you enough to know that you’re not the one the blood out of my workers,” Kibum hissed.

“You said you didn’t believe in demons!” Taeyeon protested.

“What would I do, make myself look like an idiot and say I do? How else do you explain it? Vampires? What with all the sightings going on, and the weird figure outside the building at night . . .” Taeyeon’s interest rose.

“What figure?” she said. Key looked at her hesitantly.

“Two nights ago, I was the last one to leave,” Kibum explained haughtily, as if this affected his reputation. “I was working late on a project. I came down to find the janitor’s mop discarded on the floor. I think he went to go check something out. That’s when I found him outside in the alley by this building.”

“The figure,” Taeyeon prodded.

“Patience! Geez. I was freaking out and looking around, right, holding my phone to my ear as I was calling 911. Then, bam. There it is, in the corner. I can see the person covering his mouth and nose with his hand and stepping away from me. Now I’m seriously going to have a heart attack. Then he muttered some weird things. ‘Late . . . haven’t fed . . . sorry . . .’ And then a sort of choking sound like, ‘K-kuh-cah-kih.’”

Taeyeon stared at him weirdly. “Uh-huh. And how deep was this person’s voice exactly?”

“What? How the hell would I know? I guess his voice was pretty deep like -”

“EXACTLY!” Taeyeon shrieked, taking her laptop and smacking the heir of Lock Enterprises. The bodyguard stepped forward, but she held up a finger to him with a threatening glare. Surprisingly, it worked. “You even said it. His voice was pretty deep. You said his voice was, as in a guy’s voice was! And yet you still think I’m the demon?!”

“Oh, . I didn’t realize -” Key began before he was shouting protests as Taeyeon continuously smacked him. “Ow! I get it!”

“Stupid! Heir! Why! Are! You! The! Soon! To! Be! Owner!” Taeyeon chanted in her frustration. Despite that, she had gotten new information. “Take me home.”

“But-”

Now!

Jonghyun~

“Hyung! What are you doing?!” Jonghyun stressed. “Faster! Get in here!”

Jinki looked completely lost as Jonghyun gestured widely to the damage done on his house. He pointed at the hole in the wall of the hallway.

“Did the person who took noona do that?” Jinki inquired. Jonghyun pointed to himself. “You took noona?”

“No, you idiot!” Jonghyun groaned.

“Don’t demons have super awesome smell? Be a dog - follow her scent,” Jinki offered. Jonghyun blinked several times, eyes darting to Rudolph as he considered this.

“It’ll never work. There are too many people outside,” he finally sighed.

“Well, try. If you know Taeyeon’s smell enough, you might be able to distinguish it from everyone else’s.” Jinki leaned back when Jonghyun gave him a surprised glance. “What? It’s called reading books, okay?”

“This is going to look a little bit creepy, but don’t judge.” Jonghyun walked up to Taeyeon’s drawers, praying he wouldn’t open a private one (like Jinki had last time) and pulled one out. He took a shirt out and inhaled deeply, blanching. It smelled like Taeyeon, for sure. Sweet and fruity.

Looking for the most recent aroma of her presence, Jonghyun walked out the door, muttering a caring goodbye to Rudolph as Jinki shut the door. Taeyeon’s scent led him down to the parking lot, accompanied by another man’s smell. Jonghyun growled at that knowledge, a little stumped when he discovered that they must’ve gotten into a car.

“It’s okay. Just try harder,” Jinki pushed when Jonghyun froze for a second.

“Gee, easier said than done, Jinks,” Jonghyun snapped. Even so, he focused on the fragrance, twisting and turning down the streets until Jinki put a hand on his shoulder. “What? We’re getting closer; I can sense her! You think I made a wrong turn?”

“We’re in deep ,” Jinki muttered. His hand rose to point at the building ahead. Jonghyun squinted and immediately growled at the sign on the tall skyscraper.

Lock Enterprises.

“I knew Key was the demon! I’m going to kill him!” Jonghyun screamed. Jinki silently thanked the heavens that no one was really in the area they’d been standing at. He stared at the building warily.

“I don’t know, Jjong. That place gives me the creeps,” Jinki mumbled.

“Yeah, because there’s a demon working as the future CEO or something like that there!” Jonghyun spat, charging forward. He ignored Jinki’s pleas to be rational and, like a stampede, pushed through the glass doors angrily. “KIM KIBUM! I NEED TO SEE HIM NOW!”

The secretary gaped at Jonghyun for a while before starting to call in security, just as Kibum himself walked in.

“Don’t worry about it, Eun. I’ve got what he’s looking for.” As if on cue, the elevator dinged, and Taeyeon rushed out.

“Get your hands off me!” she was shouting. “I can walk myself home, thank you very much, you creepy bodyguard. Do you want me to grab another lamp?!” She whirled around, ready to storm off when she saw Jonghyun and Jinki. Taeyeon beamed. “How’d you find me?!”

She raced forward, jumping in her excitement and flung her arms around Jonghyun. Shocked, he stumbled back and wrapped his arms around her waist automatically.

“Oh. Sorry!” Taeyeon realized what she’d done when Jinki started snickering. She quickly squirmed away from him, looking a little bit ashamed.

“Are you okay? Did they hurt you?” Jonghyun demanded.

“Oh, she’s fine. Got a nice, long rest,” Kibum answered for her. He pointed to his bodyguard. “He knocked her out for a good half hour.” Jonghyun looked as if he didn’t know who to tackle first: Kibum or his bodyguard. He decided on his cousin.

“I am going to wring your neck, Kim Kibum!” Jonghyun threatened, starting forward, but Taeyeon put a hand on his chest.

“Not yet,” she told him solemnly.

“Yet?!” Kibum shrieked. She calmly ignored him.

Jonghyun stared at Taeyeon imploringly, but she simply started walking to the exit. With a frown, Jonghyun pointed an accusing finger at his cousin.

“If you even think about touching her - or hiring someone to take her - I will personally torture you,” he seethed. Kibum tried his best to look unaffected, but his eyes twitched slightly and he shifted back.

“Of course. It was merely a misunderstanding. Ask your girlfriend, and she’ll explain.”

“I said she wasn’t my girlfriend!” Jonghyun retorted. Kibum wagged his finger, looking as if he knew the secrets of the universe.

“I’m a businessman, Jonghyun. I have connections. Doojoon told me.” Kibum laughed as Jonghyun’s expression dropped. “I expect a wedding invitation soon!”

Red-faced, Jonghyun stormed outside, where Taeyeon was talking to Jinki.

“He thought I was the demon. They looked through my search history and everything!” she was explaining. Jinki’s eyes doubled in size, and a sickened expression crossed his face as she continued to talking. “Kibum said he saw a body and everything, blood, then the demon.” She paused. “Journal. Journal. I need to go home and write this all down.”

“Taeyeon, slow down,” Jonghyun sighed, jogging up to her.

“We know for sure that it’s a male now. Someone who is still here, who still lives here. And he doesn’t have to feed on the full moon. He always has to feed, right?” Taeyeon rambled.

Jonghyun sighed again and put his hands on her shoulders. “Taeyeon. That doesn’t matter. I’m only worried about if you’re okay. Okay?” Taeyeon nodded. “Good. Now. What the hell did that diva bastard do to you?”

“It was that exorcising project. He put two and two together and considered that I was related to the whole demon crap happening to his company. But then he thought I was the one terrorizing his employees, so he kidnapped me. Or had me kidnapped. Same difference.” Taeyeon pointed to the alleyway beside the building. “I’m checking that place out. That’s where he ran into the demon and his partly drained . . . janitor.”

Taeyeon trailed off as she stopped at the edge of the alleyway.

“Wait. These past victims have been left alive.”

Jonghyun looked at her.

“Yeah, so?”

“They didn’t turn demon. Unless it takes a while for a human to completely morph, but I don’t think a full demon would risk that. He’s not stupid, I’m sure,” Taeyeon continued, tapping her temple repeatedly as she thought. “Okay, what about this scenario? This demon was young. Demons can age, we’re assuming. It wasn’t in complete control of itself yet.”

“What are you saying?” Jonghyun said quietly.

“This demon could have been any stranger, but it’s more likely it was someone close to you. Or someone who knew you. By the time it went through your whole family, he realized what he’d done when he got to you. He felt guilty. So he let you live. But how? You’d lost too much blood.”

“Taeyeon,” Jonghyun said softly.

“He transferred his demon blood to you. Which made you turn half.” Taeyeon clapped her hands and walked into the alley, eyes running up and down the buildings. “Hm. The police must’ve cleaned it up.”

“Are you saying this person knew me? And turned me into a demon on purpose? To let me live?” Jonghyun choked. Taeyeon nodded.

“The fact that Kibum moved right after, too . . . it makes it more of a chance that it was him. He could’ve been trying to frame me today,” Taeyeon suggested. Jonghyun glared down at the cement.

“That makes it less likely that it was Minho, though. Unless he finally built up the courage to come up to Jonghyun in high school,” Jinki offered. Taeyeon nodded slowly and grinned at Jinki.

“Yah. Why are you shaking? Are you scared?” she teased. Jinki blinked and wiped the sweat off his forehead, smiling nervously.

“A-aren’t you guys a little bit scared? I mean, we’re in a place where the demon has . . . f-fed,” he stuttered. “W-What if he’s h-here?” Jonghyun snorted and punched his friend’s arm.

“You’re such a wuss, Jinks.”

“Says the guy who was freaking out like a little girl when he found out Taeyeon was missing,” Jinki rebutted with a pout. Taeyeon raised her eyebrows at Jonghyun, who winced and turned away instantly.

Stupid Jinki, he thought bitterly as he stuffed his hands in his pockets and began walking home. Taeyeon tapped on his shoulders when Jinki separated from them to his own apartment, waving with an apologetic smile.

“Thanks for worrying,” she said shyly when Jonghyun turned to glare at her. His frown smoothed out into an astonished stare. “I mean - I didn’t think you would even notice I was taken. I thought I would have to walk home alone . . . so thank you.” Jonghyun nodded, not knowing what else to say. “I think the shock of the whole situation scared away my cold.” Taeyeon laughed awkwardly and stretched her arms up. “I feel amazing!”

“Then, do you want to go somewhere?” Jonghyun offered involuntarily. Taeyeon blinked at him in shock. “I mean, if you want to go home and write in the journal then we can. I was just -”

“Nonsense! I think I deserve to be awarded for my discoveries today, right? I went through a lot to get all this info,” Taeyeon joked, knocking on her head. Jonghyun’s concern immediately took over.

“Did you really have to go through a lot? Key didn’t torture you, right?” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“No. I’m fine. Let’s go to the movies! The one with those couches you can use as chairs! I’ve always wanted to try those,” Taeyeon insisted.

“Y-you mean the ones with those couple seats?” Jonghyun corrected her. Taeyeon blinked again before visibly deflating.

“Oh . . . I didn’t know they were couple seats . . . nevermind then, since you don’t want it to be weird like that. I just thought it’d be cool,” she sighed. “Where do you want to go?” Jonghyun stared at her for a long time before grinning and taking her hand.

“Well, there’s this really cool theater with awesome couches as seats I’ve been meaning to try out. Do you want to go?” he asked. His grin grew when Taeyeon beamed at him, eyes sparkling.

“Really?!” Jonghyun nodded. “Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love you!” Taeyeon repeated as she jumped and down. Both of them froze.

“You . . . um, shouldn’t toss those words around so carelessly,” Jonghyun cleared his throat. Taeyeon bowed her head.

“Sorry,” she mumbled. Jonghyun couldn’t get the picture of her shouting those three words so brightly . . . so genuinely. He shook the thought out of his head as they arrived at the movie theaters. Taeyeon pointed to one of the movie posters and looked at him with a tilted head. He nodded and paid for the tickets, mind still wandering

When they got their seats, they sat on the farthest ends. It wasn’t until Jonghyun realized that there was only one popcorn bucket (movie theaters were expensive and he was cheap) that he shifted over towards her. Taeyeon turned away from the advertisements to look at him, and he held out the popcorn. Smiling, she scooted closer as well.

Our shoulders are brushing, Jonghyun informed himself. Keep cool. Do not reach out for the popcorn when she does. Being the idiot he was, when he told himself that, his hand automatically jerked out to grab popcorn when Taeyeon did.

Instead of the romantic brushing of fingertips, he’d managed to smack some popcorn onto Taeyeon’s lap. She giggled and mouthed a thank you before eating them. Jonghyun covered his face with his hands, embarrassed. He was glad that Taeyeon had wanted a superhero action movie rather than a fluffy romantic comedy.

He was still well aware of the fact that couples around them had already huddled close together, some cuddling, some doing more. Taeyeon noticed them too and directed her gaze toward the screen immediately.

“A~wk-wa~rd,” Jonghyun breathed, causing the both of them to snicker. At one point, one of the characters died, and he noticed Taeyeon trying hard to keep in her tears. He hesitated before casually wrapping an arm around her shoulders. At first, she looked a little taken aback, but then she leaned her head on his shoulders and sniffled.

Jonghyun found that he liked her warmth being this close to him.

He found his eyes being drawn to her more than the actual movie, watching the way the light made her smooth, tear-streaked cheeks glow. When he was looking down, he could see her long eyelashes brushing against her skin whenever she blinked, and how her lips pursed slightly when an intense scene was taking place.

“Oh, god. Someone help me,” he whispered under his breath. Taeyeon looked at him curiously, but he shook his head with a reassuring smile. He turned to the screen, and his smile faltered.

I’ve fallen for a human.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

HE HAS COME TO TERMS WITH HIS FEELINGS!

woot-woot

Now we can celebrate that

And our Taemin's birthday as well!

party haaaard

That's right, I updated right away again because of the maknae's day

/nods/

He is now . . .

21! (In America. Koreans do it differently. I gave up trying,)

/taemin trying to party/

You tried, Taemin.

You tried.

/waves/

Bye-bye!

-pannashawol