Panic

The Demon Inside

Jonghyun~

The sound of rustling beside Jonghyun caused him to stir. When he managed to get one of his eyes open, he saw Taeyeon jotting down notes in her notebook.

“What’re you doing?” he slurred through his fatigue. Startled, she instantly slammed the book shut and stared at him with wide eyes.

That was suspicious. Fully awake now, Jonghyun sat up and glared down at the guilty-faced girl, who did her best to keep her appearance as innocent as possible.

“Nothing,” she answered finally. “Just, you know, writing down some evidence that could be crucial in the near future. I was just thinking up some things that could contribute to future . . . things if you want to find the demon thing.”

“You’re blabbering. And you used the word ‘thing’ about three times,” Jonghyun accused. His hand darted out to snatch the journal, but Taeyeon squealed and pulled back.

“No!” she protested. “It’s private!”

Scowling, Jonghyun got off the bed. He was uncertain - was she writing more plans to escape? It wasn’t like this place was a prison to her . . . right? Jonghyun picked up a thermometer and held it out to Taeyeon. He checked her temperature.

“Your fever’s fine now,” he informed her monotonously. “You’ll probably have to deal with a sore throat and runny nose for a couple days, but you’re fine.”

“Thank you for taking care of me,” Taeyeon said quietly. Jonghyun snorted.

“Jinki did a lot of the work yesterday. It must’ve been so fun to spend some alone time with him.” Taeyeon gave him a bewildered look. “I saw those looks you guys were giving each other. You’re hiding something from me. You can just tell me if you guys started dating, you know.”

“Eh?! No way!” Taeyeon spluttered. “Jinki and I were just - I told him - he was saying -” She broke off. “I hate you.”

Jonghyun could tell by her fake glare that what she had said wasn’t true, but it still irked him.

“Right, as if I care how you feel about me,” he lied.

Taeyeon’s features scrunched up before she pulled out her laptop and promptly ignored him. Jonghyun watched as her fingers flew over the keyboard, typing in searches for any recent supernatural sightings. After a second of thought, Jonghyun leapt onto the bed and settled next to her, eyeing the laptop screen.

“What? You have no work on Saturday?”

Jonghyun shook his head. “I think my cousin could be a suspect?” he offered suddenly in the middle of Taeyeon’s scrolling. She stopped and raised one eyebrow, not looking at him.

“As in . . . Kim Kibum?” she asked. Jonghyun nodded seriously. “What makes you think that? Just because you have some bitter feelings with him? I might as well add IU to the list, too.” Jonghyun blinked at Taeyeon.

“Why are you bitter towards IU?”

Taeyeon’s mouth twitched, but she shook her head, cheeks pink. “How can Kibum be a demon if you guys are related? Won’t his parents have to be demon, too?”

“Kibum was adopted,” Jonghyun clarified. “Did I never tell you?” Taeyeon swung her head over to give him a pointed glare that said, No, you idiot, what do you think? “Anyways, his parents have always had a bad relationship with mine. My dad didn’t like that Key’s mom - his sister - was letting her husband take their money for the company. I think Key’s inner demon went rawr on us because of that.”

Taeyeon pursed her lips, considering this. “Where’s the proof of him being demon, though?”

Jonghyun tilted his head toward the laptop screen and tapped the third link on the screen. Taeyeon’s eyebrows shot up, and she made a garbled sound of disbelief as she clicked on the link.

Heir and Only Son of the Owner of Lock Enterprises Voices His Opinion on the Recent Attacks on Lock’s Employees

    “I don’t believe in demons,” the heir Kim Kibum insists, trying his best to avoid the press on his way into the building. “Whoever has been leaving our employees half-dead and unconscious in the alley must be some rival company or some local thugs. But there is no way that it relates to the demon sightings that has been happening in Seoul.”

    The young businessman refused to give out any more information on the topic and promptly told our reporters to “go waste your lives somewhere away from me.”

“It’s a possible way to steer the suspicions of being a demon away from him. And it is weird that the attacks have been happening to his own workers, right by his company,” Taeyeon noted as she wrote Kibum’s name under the list of suspects. She hesitated, then looked at Jonghyun mischieviously and wrote IU’s name.

“Seriously, what do you have against her? I mean, she’s annoying sure, but you are, too,” Jonghyun teased. Taeyeon frowned. “I’m just kidding!”

“No you weren’t,” Taeyeon grumbled, typing in ‘Kim Kibum’ to the search bar. “Have you fed Rudolph?”

“Ah. That’s right.” Jonghyun got up and glanced at the sleeping dog as he went out to grab its food. When he came back, Taeyeon had about two pages worth of notes on both Minho and Key, and even a bit on Doojoon. “Whoa,” he noted as he set down the bowl. Rudolph woke up and immediately started on breakfast.

“Just in case,” Taeyeon said offhandedly as she continued to typing. Jonghyun watched the back of her head as it moved from the laptop screen to her notebook, and he started feeling a regretful twist in his chest. Once all this was over, Taeyeon could go back to living on her own. And he would, too.

But that was all this was to them, right? Just a job. Just a deal.

He thought back to when IU had asked Taeyeon if they were friends. She’d said no. If they weren’t related, or friends, or . . . Jonghyun gulped . . . dating - what were they? Nothing? He tried to seem normal when Taeyeon whipped her head around to look at him.

“Are you okay? You’ve been acting really weird,” Taeyeon muttered as she stared back down at her notes.

Jonghyun shrugged and settled down next to her. With a sigh, he padded out into the kitchen, ready to make breakfast. He had a heart, or whatever was left of it. He wasn’t going to make a sick person get up and cook for him.

“More porridge?” Taeyeon’s voice sounded. Jonghyun glanced through the opening to see Taeyeon leaning against the counter, holding her laptop and journal close. Her face was screwed up in an expression of distaste, causing Jonghyun to erupt with a bark of laughter.

“You don’t like it?” he questioned, taking out a pan and bowl. Taeyeon set her stuff down and took a seat.

“Mm, it’s okay. I’d rather not, though,” she said earnestly, a cheeky grin gracing her features.

Smiling back, Jonghyun took several eggs and began making his omelette. “Well, you’re in luck. What would you like on your egg pancakes? Syrup? Butter?” Taeyeon stuck out her tongue in disgust. “Joking. You’re okay with veggies, right?”

“Of course,” Taeyeon answered. She began typing again, looking up at Jonghyun through her bangs. “Hey. In this article, Kibum said he didn’t really have much family outside his business.” Jonghyun chuckled dryly as he stirred the eggs.

“We don’t really consider each other family. It would be true for an adopted child like him, anyways. And I don’t really plan on being involved in his business,” Jonghyun replied shortly.

Taeyeon squinted. “Well, imagine when he finds out that his useless cousin is actually the successful new model at SM Agency. You think he’ll tell the public?” Jonghyun hesitated.

“If Key wants more attention on Lock Enterprises, he’ll do whatever he can to get it. I don’t know whether my presence in the family line will do any good to his company, anyway.”

“What are you talking about?” Taeyeon said with a sly smile. “You’re handsome and charismatic - what is there not to like about this young man drawing clients to his business?”

Despite the compliments and the fact that Jonghyun was flattered, he snorted. “Um, in case you forgot, I’m half demon?”

“Oh, yeah.” Taeyeon pondered this, tapping her pen to her chin before shrugging. “Ah, well! They don’t need to know!”

Jonghyun merely shook his head, finishing the first omelette and pushing the plate over to Taeyeon. She stared at the mess of eggs and red and green uncertainly, looking a little green herself.

“Um. Have you ever cooked like this before?” she investigated, picking up chopsticks and poking at the blob. Jonghyun grinned sheepishly. “No?”

“Don’t worry!” he assured her, though not very efficiently. “I saw it on TV before. It didn’t look hard.” He hesitated. “Why? Is it bad?” Taeyeon smiled and tore off a piece, not answering. Jonghyun saw the slight flinch as she brought the food closer to and finally ate it.

“It’s good,” Taeyeon said immediately, chewing and swallowing. It looked as if that single gulp took all her power, and she was holding her breath to mask the taste.

“You don’t have to lie,” Jonghyun groaned, starting to take the plate back. Taeyeon shook her head, laughing and pulling the dish towards her again.

“Okay, okay. It wasn’t the best. But it’s not that hard to make eggs and toss a few vegetables in, Jonghyun,” she deadpanned, raising one eyebrow. He let his head drop in shame. “I think you added a bit too much soy sauce. And, um, if you add soy sauce, you don’t need salt either.” She smiled weakly. “I’m sick and I can still taste the overload of saltiness.”

Taeyeon got up from her seat and walked over to the stove. The second omelette would be a lot better, she would make sure of that. Jonghyun tried to ignore the way their hands brushed as they went through ingredients. Or how Taeyeon’s encouraging voice would sound whenever he made a mistake.

When they finished the second plate, Rudolph came bounding into the kitchen. Taeyeon immediately scooped her up as Jonghyun took a bite of the omelette. He broke into a smile.

“It’s good!” he appraised, automatically holding out a piece to Taeyeon. She blinked before opening and nodded enthusiastically in agreement. His smile widened as he watched Taeyeon cuddle Rudolph and chew contentedly.

Taeyeon glanced up and noticed Jonghyun staring. She cleared awkwardly.

“Shouldn’t you take her out for a walk?” Taeyeon let Rudolph down to the ground.

Mishearing, Jonghyun blurted, “You want to go for a walk?”

Taeyeon furrowed her brows in confusion as Jonghyun registered the words.

“I - I mean. Rudolph. And you’re sick. So you should stay at home while I walk. While I walk Rudolph, I mean,” Jonghyun voiced. Taeyeon nodded slowly. “Right.”

Jonghyun fumbled through the bags by the door for a leash, feeling like an idiot.

“Come back soon,” Taeyeon called out as Jonghyun coaxed Rudolph to get up. The dachshund stuck its nose in the carpet and its rear in the air, wiggling and growling in protest. “Come on, Ru-Ru, get off your lazy bum. I’ll go with you two next time!” Taeyeon waved as she returned to Jonghyun’s room.

As if understanding, the puppy finally complied, trotting after Jonghyun.

“What is wrong with me, Rudolph?” Jonghyun breathed shakily when they were out on the streets. Oblivious, the dog continued down the sidewalk, glancing back now and then as Jonghyun continued rambling. “Is it possible for me to feel something . . .?”

Rudolph stopped at a bush, deciding to take a bathroom break there.

“Ew - and not only that, but for a human?”

The puppy tugged Jonghyun forward, ready to sniff the butts of other passing dogs.

“And not only that, but for Taeyeon?”

Rudolph decided it was a good time to bark angrily at a squirrel.

“But what am I feeling? Is this feeling okay? Is it normal? Can I keep feeling . . . this feeling?” Jonghyun continued.He stopped walking when he realized that Rudolph had. He glanced down. “You did not just poop.” His brown eyes glanced up warily to meet the slightly judging and disgusted expressions of a few random passersby. His eyelids shut down and he sighed. “You just pooped.”

Jonghyun cleaned up the mess and dumped the waste in a trash can briefly, scowling in disgust. He’d forgotten how much of a trouble it was taking care of dogs.

He tensed when he felt eyes following his movements, watching him from the back. Trying to be as casual as possible, Jonghyun knelt down and petted Rudolph.

“We should go back, hm?” Jonghyun said aloud, calmly turning his head towards where he felt the watchful eyes on him. The feeling disappeared, and Jonghyun straightened, eyes darting across his surroundings. “Come on, Rudolph.” The dog heard the panic straining in Jonghyun’s voice, looking up curiously. “We have to go home.”

Taeyeon, Jonghyun repeated over and over in his head as he ran.

 

~~~~~~~

 

Jonghyun knew it wasn’t just his imagination when he heard the faint sounds of screaming. No one else could hear it but him, but he knew it was just because of his acute senses.

Taeyeon was in trouble. Jonghyun was aware of this as he barreled into his apartment, which had its door standing ajar. His heart was beating frantically as he searched the whole place, eyes catching the broken lamp and marks on the wall. Signs of struggle.

“Crap,” Jonghyun hissed, whirling and punching the wall angrily. Rudolph whimpered in fright before sniffing around in search for Taeyeon. Taeyeon hadn’t run away this time. Jonghyun could see that clearly.

She’d been taken.

“Oh, god, no,” Jonghyun whispered, supporting himself on the wall with his palm and pressing his face against it. “Who did this . . . Where . . .” With a cry of rage, Jonghyun dealt a blow on the poor wall again.

He dug out his phone and called Jinki with trembling fingers. As soon as he heard the click, without waiting for a greeting, he burst out, “Hyung, I need your help!”

“J-Jjong?” Jinki stuttered on the other end.

“They took Taeyeon, hyung! Please come over and tell me what to do! I don’t know what to do!”

“Wh-What? Who? Who took Taeyeon?” Jinki gasped.

“I don’t know!” Jonghyun turned away from the wall and covered his face with his hand. “She’s not in the house and the walls all screwed up and there’s a broken lamp and crap like that. Who c-could’ve done this?”

“Jonghyun, I’m coming over. Calm down - are you c-crying?” Jinki stammered. Jonghyun stopped breathing and felt his face. No, it wasn’t wet, but he could tell that there were tears blurring his vision. He squeezed his eyes shut, successfully keeping it down, but his breathing was still shaky.

“No. Hurry, hyung. I’m freaking out!” Jonghyun roared angrily, searching the apartment for anything - anything.

“I know you care for Taeyeon noona, but you need to calm down if you want to find her, Jjong!” Jinki insisted. Jonghyun froze at the words, but then he sighed and nodded despite the fact that Jinki couldn’t see him. He hung up and let the phone fall to the floor.

He cared for Taeyeon. He wasn’t going to deny that.

But now he needed to find her.

Taeyeon~

Taeyeon slowed down her writing as soon as Jonghyun closed the door. She’d wanted it to seem like she was actually working for a solution, but in truth, she didn’t want to finish this mission at all.

It was selfish, sure, but Taeyeon wanted to stay with Jonghyun.

Still, Taeyeon thought sorrowfully as she started to write again, I have to help Jonghyun become human. Not for me, but for him. She glanced over her shoulder, as if checking to see if Jonghyun had snuck back in, and flipped the pages back to her diary entry. The journal was a multiple-use for her.

Taeyeon reddened as she reread all the words she had carefully wrote on the lines. There was no way she could let Jonghyun catch her writing her diary entries anymore. And she would never leave the journal with him.

After a while, the comfortable silence that surrounded Taeyeon as she worked abruptly turned eerie. Taeyeon shifted nervously, stepping out of Jonghyun’s room with a lamp in her hands.

Wait, Taeyeon, she told herself. Don’t be like those idiots in the movies. Hide. She tiptoed to the bathroom slowly, ready to lock herself in and jump out the window if need be. Suddenly, two large arms wrapped around her midsection, locking her in a tight grip.

Damn!” Taeyeon shrieked, hitting the intruder with a lamp. Her eyes were beginning to water at the flashing memories of her father coming in and abusing her mother. No, no, no! The lamp crashed against the other’s skull, yet his hold on her never loosened.

“,” the stranger cursed under his breath. His fingers brushed against the skin on the back of her neck, eliciting another blood-curdling scream from Taeyeon. Then he pressed against her pressure point, causing the shriek to die out partway. Taeyeon fell limp.

Jonghyun, Taeyeon repeated over and over in her head as she passed out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Hmmmmmm?

Who took Taeyeon?

GASP

And Jonghyun cares for Taeyeon, too?

How?

Like how she does . . . for him?

whaaaa?

I decided that I must have something interrupt my fluffs

I can't

Will Jonghyun find a way to get Taeyeon back?

Can't you tell from the way he's acting?

OH YEAH

He will pummel whoever took her

Huheuheuheueheuhee

mehrong~

So was this chapter okay?

-pannashawol