Past

Can You Still Belong To Me, Even If You Don't Want To?

Eunhyuk's POV:

 

I still had sometime before I had to meet up with Donghae but I couldn't decide what to do till than.

If Donghae had a special reason to be there than I don't know how'd I react. I mean Donghae getting married seemed out of place. It's not that I thought he would never marry I just had assumed it wouldn't happen so quickly.

10:39am... Still a long time till I met up with Donghae...Enough Eunhyuk no more thinking about Donghae. I should focus on something else...work. Work always helped me stop thinking about unpleasant things.

I had already talked to the kid's house and agreed to meet up with them today at five. I was extremely nervous since this case was special. I needed to have a successful outcome. Not only because it was my job but because I had recently learned about a promotion that was supposed to happen by the end of the month. According to one of my colleagues me and two other people were the most likely candidates.

I grabbed the files that layed next to me. I hadn't really had a chance to look at the kids profile and I guess it'd be good to look at it right now.

Henry Lau.

Age is 18. He had been admitted to school late because of health reasons in his first year. Which would explain why he was older than most of his classmates. He has been the MVP for the four years that he had been on the team. However, although he has been the MVP his team has never made it to the finals, which would also explain why he hasn't been scouted. Henry was also a trouble maker at school. He'd often find himself in a fight or staying after school to help clean up the campus.He had one older sister who lived with their dad in China and his mother currently works as a teacher at his school.

He reminded me of myself when I was in high school except he actually had talent.

His mother had also warned me that her son did not want to be a professional basketball player because he wanted to earn money to bring his father and sister to Japan. She had already talked to her son about doing what he loves instead of worrying over his family but would not listen to her.

Meaning I actually had to work to get my promotion. I've had tough cases before but this case seemed more harder than my previous ones. Trying to convince a stubborn teenager into signing a binding contract for his best years of his life would defenitely be a struggle.

Maybe asking Donghae how he had managed to convince me in the past would be helpful. Henry was like a mirror image of my old self except with more maturity and clearly more talent.

11:28am.

It was almost time to meet with Donghae. Suddenly my head felt heavy. The nerves where killing me.

It will take me around 30 minutes to get there. 40 minutes to get dressed. I could still spare 20 or so minutes. Eating would definitely not be the answer I wouldn't be able to swallow anything.

I took out my laptop from my suitcase. Googling Donghae should get some hits. When he told me that he had problems with his family I was seriously surprised. From what I remembered they all had a close relationship. I never thought something could get in between them to cause such a dramatic drift between the members.

Sadly googling Lee Donghae and Lee Enterprises was not showing a single hit except for an old one that dated about a year ago. I clicked on the link to read the full article. The article was a small paragraph in a business online magazine.

"According to sources Lee Donghae, the son of the founder of Lee Enterprise, is engaged with Sandara Park, the director of relations and communications of Lee Enterprise. The source tells us that Mr. Lee had proposed to Ms. Park last weekend during the annual charity event lead by none other than Mr. Lee, himself. Mr Lee had organized the event to the upmost perfection in order to impress Ms. Park. Best wishes to the newly engage couple."

So he was at the story to by someone a ring. To buy his fiancee a ring...

Why hadn't he told me he was engaged? I mean sure we hadn't talked in a long time but couldn't he tell me yesterday when we were catching up? I think he owed it to me to at least tell me since we were in a serious relationship, one that was unique and once in a lifetime type of relationship. Well at least that what I had thought we had.

"Suddenly I don't want to go see him..."

I glanced at the clock, hoping I could still cancel our arrangement.

11:34am.

"Why is time going so slow now?"

I grabbed my phone sliding to the texting menu.

"I could just tell him I had something going on but..." I still want to see him. "Not so much as to talk to him just..." see his face.

"Ugh why is this happening?"

Hyuk stop being a coward! Just see him! You knew from the start that nothing was going to happen between the two of us so why am I acting so bummed out? You are a grown up! An adult! Be mature. If I cancel now I'll only look like an idiot and a liar, which I am neither!

I locked my phone screen and got out of bed.

Taking a show will do the trick...

And it didn't... Now I just feel clean but still tired.

Drinking an energy will work...

And it didn't... I just feel even more tired.

Its 1...

I grabbed the clothes I had laid out the night before. Stupid Hyukkie why do you always act without thinking... I mean why did you lay out your clothes the night before as if you were going out on a date? Minnie would laugh at me if he saw me like this.

I got out of the hotel room at around 1:24 and somehow managed to stop a cab. The cab ride sped away, leaving me with little to no time to think about how I would react or how I should react when I saw Donghae. Once I paid the cab driver and stepped inside the cafe, Donghae was already sitting at the same table with a newspaper in hand.

Surprisingly this was how I imagined Hae would grow up to look like. Designer, color coordinated, suit. Shoes polished with no speck of dust or scratch. Hair neatly styled and legs crossed with a coffee in one hand and a newspaper on the other.

I smiled, taking in the image. Who was I kidding, the older Donghae was truly more handsome than what his when he was a teenager.

"Hey." my voice cracked a bit when I tried speaking to him. "You got here early."

He smile with that dumb cute half grin. "Yeah. I got out of a meeting early and had nothing to do. Thought I should catch up on some local news. I'll be back I'll get you a drink."

"Thanks." He got up leaving me to my thoughts. This was my chance to gather my thoughts and to calm my nerves. I knew this wasn't a date or anything but I could help but be nervous! I was about to have lunch with the guy I was deeply in love with for a year and the guy who helped discover my ual orientation AND the one who took my ity! How could I even think that this was just going to be friends catching up?! We had a relationship that went far beyond friendship!

"Here I brought you're sandwich and drink. By the way I have to say you give off a completely different vibe now than yesterday. I guess it's because you aren't wearing that grey jumpsuit and instead choose a grey suit." He chuckled.

"Uh yeah. I got out of a long airplane ride and wanted to wear something comfortable yesterday. Today I actually have to do some work. Suits aren't really my first choice when I want to relax."

"Well both suits and jumpsuit suit you so don't worry. Pun unattended. If you have to work today than is this meeting inconvenient? You don't have to-."

"No no no I mean I will work but until five so I have plenty of time until then. Plus I asked you to meet me and thank you for the complement."

"Oh okay. No problem."

"Umm Hae... I mean Donghae."

"Hae is fine. I'm glad you're feeling comfortable enough to address me like that Hyukkie."

Stupid Hae with his stupid grin. My heart was starting to beat faster than it did yesterday!

"Well uh is it okay if I ask you something Hae?"

"Yeah what's up? We did meet up to catch up, so please ask me what you want to know." Hae picked up his coffee, smirking while drinking it.

"I'll take you up on that offer. What uh what happened between you and your family?"

Hae grabbed a napkin, wiping his lips. "Well I guess it started when I graduated from college. I started working for my grandmother since she had asked me to work beside her since forever. I finally gave and worked by her side for a good two year but than I found out something about the company that left me with an unpleasant feeling. See my grandmother had nothing to do with it since although she was the name of the company, she didn't really have that much power. Plus she didn't know any of this was going on and she never found out either because she died before I could tell her anything.

My mother and her brother were constantly trying keep the company name a family company name. See according to my grandmother she told me that the business was going to change. She had preparations for giving the company to an employee of hers that was seriously devoted to her and the company. They didn't want the title of CEO but my grandmother insisted that out of everyone they should be the next CEO.

I agree with her. I saw how diligently she worked night and day for the sake of the company. Maybe it was because the company's fortune and income would help make their paycheck bigger but whatever the reason was, their purpose was to make the company prosper. My mother and uncle, obviously angry, had taken measures to falsify some documents showing that the person was embezzling the company money. They blackmailed her into resigning from the company before my grandmother had a chance to even begin the process of making them the CEO.

That was what mainly got me angry. Later I found out some other shady things that what my mother was doing so I left."

I sank down my chair. I knew his mother was passionate about the company but not to that extent. It was terrifying.

"I'm so sorry Hae. You went through all that..."

"Yeah but I lived. Thats what matters."

"Do you speak to your mother?"

"Yes. She's my mother after all. I don't see her though. I don't want too. If I did I think I would explode on her. Since I left I've been trying to find a way to free Sandara from my mother's grip but can't seem to find a solution."

"Sandara?" According to the article she was his fiancee. What the hell...

"Sorry I didn't tell you. Her name, the one who was supposed to be the next CEO was Sandara Park. A good friend of mine."

"I uh... I read an article saying she was your fiancee..."

"No that was a cover. See my mother told the workers that Sundara was resigning to be a wife. I told everyone that she was going to be my wife so that she wouldn't be chased out of town. Now she live with me as my "fiancee" but really she is not. I want to help her get to where she was before this had ever happened."

"So you're not engage?"

"No. Just pretend. I'm gay I wouldn't marry a girl." He laughed. My stomach tightened.

"B-but weren't you in a jewelry shop? When I saw you."

"Ah yeah that's the company I'm trying to help grow. I was in a meeting with the owner earlier and when I got out I saw you at the counter."

"Serious?"

"Very serious." Donghae grinned.

"Than right now are you umm dating anyone?"

Donghae smiled. This time his smile seemed bitter. More than angry it was a sad smile. "No not right now but I just got out of a relationship."

"Oh." I didn't know whether to ask him why because he seemed down. "Why?" Stupid stupid mouth!

Hae looked up, simply staring. I felt as if he was debating to tell me or not. He sighed "Well things happened. Other than you I had two other relationships. The one after you was more of a fooling around type. I mean we were both happy but not in love. We cared for each other but thats about it. The other one... we lasted for a year. Almost two. I think with him I did find love. I loved him like how I loved you. I wasn't... I didn't want to let him go for the world but he had to. We tried everything we could to stay together and simply love each other but life happened. I don't want to bore you with another long story." He laughed.

I reached over squeezing his hand in mine. "Hae tell me. I'm sure they aren't a bore. I mean I bet it's a beautiful story with a beautiful love from the way you smile." Hae genuinely seemed happy reminiscing about the past. Rather than feeling jealousy it's made me feel happy and grateful that he felt something incredible at one point in his life when I was not around.

"Thanks. Ahh where do I begin? Well we met at a dumb landmark. I had gone sightseeing with another friend of mine and we ended up in a strange location. He came up to me asking for some sunblock and we sort of just hit off from the start. He introduced himself as Yunho and asked me out on a date. We went out and everything was perfect. Than a month before our second year anniversary we had an accident. I was fine but he well he didn't die but he was paralyzed from the waist down. At first things were okay just hard. He hated going to therapy and I couldn't help him smile again. Later I found out when I listened in to his conversation with his therapist, he said he resented me.

I drove that night. I insisted we drive to our location while he had said that it was too long of a drive and I wouldn't be able to make it. He was right. I dozed of a bit and ran a red light. A semi truck hit his side. It tried to swerve, I did too but it was too late.

After that I broke up with him. Well he broke up with me. He told me that he loved me but couldn't stand seeing me. He couldn't help but blame me. I tried to stay and he didn't stop me but I knew it was only making things worse. So I finally gave up."

"What happened to him?"

"Well from what I heard he walks in crutches. I heard that about four months ago. I try not to be informed because it will only hurt more."

"I'm so sorry Hae."

"No. God don't be. I loved him and I was loved by him. Even at the end he loved me enough to try to keep me from suffering by staying by my side while i hurt him with my presence. He was kind and gentle to the end."

"Do you blame yourself for what happened?"

"I do. I know it was an accident but I caused the accident. Thats a fact. I don't know if I could forgive myself for what I did to him but knowing that he is well is almost walking makes me feel relieved and hopeful. I'll forgive myself once I know he is walking."

"You haven't dated since than?"

"I went on a date here and there but nothing ever turned to a relationship or anything close to a relationship. It was simply a date. Enough about me what about you?"

"Well you know I got of college and became a scout. Relationship wise I've dated. The longest relationship I had was around five months. Currently I'm single and focusing on a promotion that I hope I can get. Nothing big or dramatic to tell. Minnie and Kyu are still together and happy. They've also recently moved together. There was a time in which they broke up. It was long break up. Almost two years apart. It was extremely awkward to be between the two. Minnie would insist that he was over Kyu while secretly getting jealous over me hanging out with Kyu. At one point he angrily accused me of dating Kyu! It was a terrifying experience. Kyu on the other hand would try to indirectly get updates from me about Minnie.

It was the best two years of my whole life."

"I'll bet." Donghae laughed. "Oh it's 3:40. Time sure did fly."

"Definitely! I still have 30 minutes though."

"Good... I want to hear more of your stories what else did you do during that time?"

I continued to tell him about how one time I had accidently knocked a girl out cold and was sent to a holding cell until some one checked the security cameras. My name was cleared but it was a horrible experience. I told him about Minnie angrily pinching my shoulders at one point because, despite being broken up, Kyu kissed me in a drunken state. I tried telling him that Kyu thought I was Minnie but he wouldn't have it.

"Wow. You really haven't changed Hyukkie."

"No! I swear I have! It's just that the universe is acting against me! I swear! Look I even graduated first in my class and was given job offers straight out of college!"

"Hahahah don't get so worked up. I'm only teasing. It's funny seeing you stumble and stutter wiith your words."

I blushed. Hae was no longer a shy teenage boy. Well even as a teenager he was still blunt but not to this extent.

"Well I think now I have to go. Work. What grown ups like me do."

"Yup well I have to get home too. I promised Sundara I'd fix the sink in the kitchen but I haven't gotten around to it. She's going to kill me!"

"Okay well Hae it was good seeing you. I'll call you later maybe we can hang out with Minnie and Kyu next time. They are coming to Japan in three no two days."

"Yeah I'd like that." I reached out to shake his hand. His grip was strong and covered my own. It sent electricity down my spine. My heart was pounding hard. .

Hae pulled me closer to him and engulfed me in his arms. "I've missed you Hyukkie." I blushed, hearing his voice so close to my ears and feeling his heart pound at the same pace as mine through his clothing.

"M-me too Hae."

"I-I want to see you again... soon." He loosened his grip. "Bye. Take care."

I didn't expect him to do it but he kissed my forehead. The kiss wasn't processed to my brain until Hae was already gone. I looked around but only saw faces of strangers giving me odd looks.

Like in the past my legs turned to jelly. I covered my face with the palm of my hands.

.

My heart and head were feeling heavy. My hands trembled and my eyes watered. I knew my face was a the shade of a tomato and I knew I looked like a psycho sitting on the floor because my legs had caved in but I didn't care. I realized something that would definitely give me trouble in the future. I realized something that would probably destroy my the future I had planned and the life I had built during the last seven years.

I still love him.

 

 

 

 

hahahahhah i updated.... lol I was going to make this more angsty but I decided to go down the sweet and candy filled road ekeke of course there will be some bumps in the future but for now I'll make it sweet and cute <333 kekekek

Also thanks for the subs and upvotes! o.o i really didn't expect them and I'm truly grateful thank you!!! <333 i love you all <333

next update in 3-5 days (need to update my other fanfics o.o)