Fate

Can You Still Belong To Me, Even If You Don't Want To?

Eunhyuk's POV:

 

"This is a bit awkward isn't it?" Donghae laughed lightly. He took a sip of his black coffee.

We sat at the coffee shop at the corner of the street from the jewelry shop. We hadn't really spoken except for the occasional meaningless comments.

Donghae's appearance had really changed since high school. The only thing that was still the same was his baby face. His hair was now cut short and styled more professionally compared to his old long wavy hair. His fashion sense had also changed, at least from what I could tell. He wore a designer grey suit with a long black coat, nothing that he would have worn in the past.

In a way aging had actually made him look even better. I hoped that my jumpsuit wasn't completely out of place. We looked like complete opposites in the cafe. It was a nostalgic feeling, in high school we also had completely different personalities.

"Sorry. It's just that my mind is drawing a blank right now. I mean its has been 6 years-"

"7 years actually." Donghae smiled and damn his smile seemed to radiate more than it had in the past.

"7 years since I had last seen you and 5 years since we hadn't spoken."

"Mhmm but I can't say that I was part of the problem as to why we stopped communicating."

"Guilty." It had been my fault after a year of communicating through monthly emails, letters, text messages, phone calls, and webcams I began slowly drifting away from our routine. I started get more focused in my basketball practices and final exams. Soon after our two way communication system e sided until there was simply no form of communication between the two of us. When I finally tried to get in contact the phone number, email address, and home address had changed.

"Hahaha look I'm just kidding. I swear. What's done is done. I'm not upset."

"Really?"

"Yup. To tell you the truth during the first couple of weeks without having heard anything from you was agonizing. I worried whether something had happened to you but I also angry and annoyed. Finally I asked Kyu what was going on and he had assured me that you were fine and just busy with life. Knowing that it made things easier. Easier to move on. I'm not saying I regret anything cuz I don't. I still think you are amazing Hyuk."

Hyuk... how long has it been since I've heard that?

"You were an important part of my life. Please don't forget that. Enough about the past. What's new with you?"

"Well I'm not playing professional basketball but I am working for company that recruits basketball players and just to be clear I do love it so theres no need to feel bad." I laughed. If I hadn't said that I knew Donghae would have overreacted.

"That's great Hyuk! I knew you would find what you were looking for. So are you here because of your work?" Donghae lightly patted the back of my hand. He did this very effortlessly causing my rate of my pulse to increase.

"Yeah I am. Theres a prodigy that I'm supposed to convince to sign a contract." I smiled shaking the feelings away.

"And when do you leave?"

"I'm planning in around two weeks but I don't know. It depends on how long it takes to convince the kid to sign a contract. Not only that but I have to convince his parents as well and than negotiate the contract. What are you doing here? I thought you went to the U.S."

"I did but after working there I came here for work. It's only a business trip so I'm supposed to leave in a month or so."

"Than you're going back to the U.S.?"

"No I'm going to go back to Korea."

"Why?"

"My job is in Korea. The company I work for is a small sales company, which is why I travel a lot."

"I thought you were working for your family?" I sat up straight. It was Donghae's family business that played a role in breaking the two of us apart. His mother had convinced me, when I was a high schooler, that I would only be holding him back; of course I didn't want that to happen so I broke off our relationship.

"I did but a lot of stuff happened that forced me to go my separate way. I'd love to tell you of my downfall but I actually have to go but heres my number. Call or text me so we can have lunch or something together than I can tell you of my adventures. I'll call a cab for you."

"But-"

"No refusing. You shouldn't be walking around a city you don't know. If you feel bad about me paying you can pay for my food the next time you see me. Also please don't be a stranger. I'd like for us to be friends like we used to. Bye Eunhyuk I'll talk to you later!"

Just as fast as he came in, he left. Donghae really had changed. He managed to break away from so many obstacles to be where he was today. Just like in the past he never seized to amaze me.

When I arrived to my hotel room I called Minnie to tell him what happened today. He insisted that I'd call Donghae quickly to set up a meet and greet.

"I don't know Minnie. It's a bit to sudden I mean what if he's busy. He seemed busy." I put him on the speaker while I took of my shoes and changed into my pajamas.

"Come on Hyukkie you have to go see him! Its been way to long since you've had a decent conversation with him. Wouldn't be a good chance to clear up everything?"

"But theres nothing to really clear up. It was really my fault that the two of us drifted off."

"Well if theres nothing to clear up than why not just... you know get together?"

"No no no that's not going to happen."

This conversation was getting me worked up. I began pacing in the room, hoping it would calm me down but it didn't do much to reduce the stress.

"So you didn't feel anything when you saw him again?"

"Come on Minnie it's been years!"

"Thats not what I asked. Did you feel something? Tell me it's okay. Maybe I can help you."

"Well no I didn't. At least I don't think I did... well more like at first something got stuck in my throat, I couldn't speak. Than I felt suffocated, seriously my lungs felt as if it was being clutched tightly. Than from that moment on everything was a blur and and and even at some point my heart did pound and it did throb but not as intensely as in the past. I just I really don't know."

"Okay so you have some feelings but you're not sure what they are?"

"Exactly."

"Well than isn't that a good enough reason to go see him?"

"I don't know..." I sighed, throwing myself onto my bed.

"Come on it's not like its a DATE and it's definitely not a proposal. Plus think about it Hyukkie it must be fate! Come on what are the chances of meeting in a Jewelry store in the afternoon, which is rush hour by the way, and in a big city like Tokyo."

"Fine! Fine! I'll text him! Are you happy?"

"Yes very much."

"Anyways hows Kyu and when are you guys coming?"

"Well we are probably gonna go there earlier than we thought because Kyu asked for a longer vacation and surprisingly they gave him an extra two day so we should be there in three days."

"That's great! Well I guess I won't be so alone now!"

"Yeah I have to go now Hyukkie. Kyu is bugging me about giving him pudding."

"Hahahah tell him I said hello and to watch his back when he gets here! He stole my last pack of gummies! He st- Minnie!! Hello! Minnie! Did you hang up?! Minnie!... Fine! Watch next time I won't help you when Kyu and you are arguing!" 

I hung up on the dead phone line. I stayed in bed without really doing anything. I wanted to text Donghae but I wasn't completely sure.

What am I going to do? Should I really text Donghae?

" it." I took out the card from my pocket quickly sending a text before I ended up regretting it.

Hey Donghae, It's Eunhyuk. When are you free? To repay back for the cab... I mean if you're not to busy with work.

Five minutes had passed, in complete silence, till I received his reply.

Eunhyuk! Of course! How about tomorrow at 2? At the same coffee shop. They have the best sandwiches I swear!

I couldn't help but smile. It was a bit of a relief to know that things between us wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be.

I grabbed my language laying out my outfit for tomorrow. Hopefully my outfit wasn't bad nor was it too much.

Minnie was right maybe our meeting was fate. Maybe something between the two of us still wasn't finished. We definitely had something that need to be cleared. What were the chances of us meeting at a tiny Jewelry store! Out of all the places...

Suddenly a thought had occurred to me. A thought that made me loose the strength to hold myself up. I had to sit at the edge of the bed.

"What was he doing at a jewelry store..."

 

 

I updated woo! it's fairly short but only an intro the next chapter will be update in three days. xD and I'll make sure it's longer :3 Thanks for all the support!!!! <33 i love you guys and I've missed you all!! I swear! Thank you once again for the support everyone!!! <333 ;~; <333