Ch. 4

What If?

Jessica’s POV

 

 

After our dispute in the living room I retreated to my safe haven. Locking the door to my room I collapsed onto the bed. I didn’t understand why she was doing this, but I had a feeling it had to so with Heechul and my potential marriage.

 

I don't understand how she could do this to me. She’s my sister why is she not being supportive of me? How dare she just decide to up and leave like I don’t need her now! What did I ever do to deserve this?

 

“Sooyeon ah,”

 

“Go away!” I was so hurt and frustrated that I didn’t think before I spoke. But panic set in almost instantly I didn’t want her to go.

 

“Soojung wait, I’m sorry!” I swung the door open hoping she’d still be standing on the other side.

 

I was relieved to see her still standing there and threw my arms around her. She stumbled slightly before regaining her balance and returning the hug. The thought of her leaving was unbearable. I felt as if a part of me would die if she was to leave and I didn’t understand why.

 

“Sooyeon ah…” Her voice was calm and comforting. But that did nothing to quell the fear inside my heart. I wasn’t ready to let her go, I couldn’t let her go. Soojung was the most important person in the world to me.

 

“Please don’t go,” I begged tears filling my eyes. Burying my face against her neck I tighten my hold around.

 

“I have to go,” Breathing a heavy sigh pried me off of her and turned her back to me. “You need to let me go.”

All these things she was saying and doing, none of this was like her. Krystal had never seem so distant from me than she did in this moment right now. Even when we fought we always made up; this was different though.

 

“Why? Why do you have to go? You never expressed any desire to leave let alone go all the way to New York?” I huffed. This was so infuriating, she was hiding something from me and I knew it.

 

“I just need to do this for me,” She looked at me with a blank expression. “Can’t I be selfish for once?”

 

I froze; my arms fell to my side in defeat. She was right she deserved to be selfish. Who was I to stop her? But what would I do with out her?

 

“Okay I’ll support you,” I smiled. I had spent so much of my time faking a smile since I started dating that I was positive she wouldn’t be able to see through my lie.

 

“Don’t lie!” She glared at me.

“I’m not lying,” I insisted. I even pouted a little in hopes it would convince her otherwise.

 

“Even though you’re smiling I can see the betrayal in your eyes.” I was surprised she’d been able to see through my lies so easily, but if any one could it would be Krystal.

 

“If you want to talk about lying why don’t you tell me the real reason you’re going to New York because it sure as hell isn’t to enjoy the scenery.” I drop the act and fire back with equal force.

 

“I told you I just need a change of pace!” Lies, lies, lies! How could she want me to be honest with her if she can't do the same?

 

“Bull!” I screamed at her. “You just can’t accept the fact that I’m going to get married!”

 

“You’re right I can’t,” she whispered. “I can’t go on like this!” She was in tears as she shouted at me; fists clenched at her side. What kind of sister am I to be hurting her like this?

 

“How could you do this to me?!” cries Krystal. I can feel the tears well up in my eyes at her words.

 

“How could I do what to you? All I’m trying to do is be happy.” I do my best to keep my voice from breaking, but the same can't be said for my shattered heart. 

 

“Your happiness comes at the price of my own,” cried Krystal tears falling from her eyes. I was shocked to say the least; I knew she’d never been happy about me dating Heechul but I had ne idea how deeply it hurt her.

 

“I love you but I can’t do this with you every time we se each other,”

 

“That’s why I need to leave, why can’t you understand that?”

 

“How can I understand that?” I question placing my hand on her cheek.

 

“You need to let me go,” she repeated covering my hand with her own. Krystal looked me in the eyes and for the first time I knew. It had always been there in the way she looked at me. The touches that linger just a little too long. I should have seen the signs, how did I miss it. I don’t even remember when it started, it was like one day I woke up and it was there.

 

“You love me.” I stated with conviction. Krystal backed away from me as if she’d been burned. Even if she hadn’t reacted I still knew that was the cause of all of this, her decision to leave, her dislike of all my boyfriends, the way she'd been acting, everything.

 

“Life is cruel like that isn’t it?” Krystal wasn’t talking to me anymore. “I mean really there is nothing crueler than falling in love with someone who can’t love you back.”

 

“Soojung ah…”

 

“Wouldn’t life be easier if I hadn’t been born?” She gave me a heart broken look.

 

I couldn’t stand looking at her. Seeing her so completely and utterly broken made me feel horrible. How could I let this go so far?

 

“I’m sorry.” I know the apology will do nothing to quell her sadness, but I couldn't find any other words.

 

“I know…” With that she left me hurt and confused without a single clue as to what I should do.

 

A/N:  This one’s a bit rushed I wanted to get in one more chapter before the weekend. But I’m still a little late, sorry. I may go back over and revise this chapter later.