Meeting the CEO (Part 1)

The Infinite Story

            “Do we have to meet with him, Sunggyu hyung? Can you and Dongwoo hyung just go?” Sungyeol whined as they entered the glass elevator of the Wooliment Tower. He latched himself onto his leader’s arm, jumping up and down with his best puppy dog eyes.

            “We all have to go.” Sunggyu pushed the clinging vocalist off his arm, already immune to Sungyeol’s constant complaints. Sungyeol only pouted and went to stand with L, Sungjong, and Woohyun, who were leaning against the glass wall that looked across the large parking lot.  Dongwoo inwardly shivered, squeezing himself tighter to the elevator door as they rose floor by floor.

            “How can you guys just stand there?” He cautioned, “It’s glass. You don’t know how safe that is.  Hey, stop…stop it! Stop pushing it Woohyun!”

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about Dongwoo hyung,” Woohyun responded, innocently pressing his hand on the glass. He gestured to the scenery in front of him. “Look at the nice blue sky hyung!”

            The group’s laughter echoed around the elevator as Dongwoo squatted down to a safer part of the glass contraption. It was almost four and Infinite had an appointment with their new CEO Suh Jun-moo. Their old CEO, affectionately known as Director Oh, passed away about a year ago, just when they were beginning to get ready for their comeback. He was a man that everyone admired for his kindness and leadership. Infinite especially owed a lot to him, as he was the one who brought them together in the first place. Today was their second direct meeting with Suh Jun-soo and, let’s just say, he was nothing like Director Oh Dae-In.

            “We’re here,” Hoya commented as the elevator dinged on the 46th floor.

            “Okay, kids. Let’s make this the least painful for everyone. Sungyeol, I mean it. Don’t say anything that will make him angry. We don’t what a repeat of what happened last time,” Sunggyu walked out of the elevator, making clear eye contact with the tallest member of Infinite.

            “Yes, hyung,” Sungyeol replied and patted the leader on the shoulder. He darkly chuckled, remembering how one little comment left a table turned over, papers flying everywhere, and a few broken chairs littering the spacious office. Picturing demon ears on top of the CEO’s well-gelled head, Sungyeol mumbled under his breath, “But can’t make any promises.”

            “Sungyeol,” Sunggyu gave him a glare.

            “I know. I’ll try.”

            That didn’t seem to convince Sunggyu as he turned to someone behind him. “L, keep an eye on him and do everything you can to shut his mouth.”

            Sungyeol scoffed at Sunggyu’s attempts to keep him from speaking his mind. Everyone in the group acknowledged that there were many reasons to dislike their new CEO Suh Jun-moo and only a couple reasons not to er punch his face when they saw him. They just didn’t act upon their feelings like their righteous member. Although Sungyeol knew that keeping quiet was probably for Infinite’s benefit, he was taught to never let the bad guy off the hook for his behavior. He glanced at the other members as they quietly walked their way down the hall and into a large office space. They never were so serious as when they met the CEO and seeing how their manager, Seo Jin, kept wiping sweat off his brow, how Sunggyu’s eyes twitched with worry, and how Dongwoo was constantly fumbling with his shirt, Sungyeol decided that maybe today he wouldn’t be so…forward with his comments.

            “We have an appointment with Mr. Suh, concerning Infinite’s album,” their manager said to the secretary at the front desk.

            “Ah, yes,” she replied and smiled at the Infinite members. When she glanced at Sungyeol, she quickly turned her head back to her papers and punched the intercom.

            “Mr. Suh, Infinite is here to see you.”

            “Send them in,” a crackly voice responded.

            The secretary stood up and led the group to large, oak double doors. “He’s waiting for you inside. If you need anything, please don’t hesitate to call me, my name is Cha Yoo Ran.”

            “Thank you,” Woohyun said politely, giving her a bow and a sincere smile that was designed to make a lot of girls swoon. The other members rolled their eyes as she blushed, a little flustered. Then Yoo Ran took another anxious glance at Sunggyeol.

            “Don’t—“ She hesitated and as if she changed her mind, quickly bowed to the Infinite members and left them to face the CEO on their own.

            “Call me when the meeting is over. I’ll be waiting outside,” their manager said as he gave them an encouraging smile. The members stood awkwardly in front of the CEO’s office, waiting until Seo Jin’s figure escaped their vision.

            “Shall I open it or do you want to do the honors?” Sungjong asked hesitantly, shifting his eyes to glance at the frozen figures of his hyungs.

            Sunggyu cleared his voice, “Yes, I will. Sorry.”

            The leader bravely opened the doors and entered with confident steps as the other members followed him inside. The office looked the same from what they remembered the last time they met, of course, before the aftermath of broken furniture. Six large chairs were in the center of the office with three of them facing the other three. Across them was the CEO’s desk with small portraits of different idol groups displayed all around the maroon walls. Suh Jun-moo sat lounging on his plush black leather chair, his legs resting on top of his table as he eyed each member one by one. When his eyes met Sungyeol’s, he sent one deadly glare and then, promptly shut Sungyeol out of his vision as if he wasn’t there.

            “Good afternoon, sir. I hope everything is going well,” Sunggyu said in the most confident voice he could muster, motioning for the other members to bow with him. To Sungyeol’s disgust, the CEO didn’t even move to greet them.

            “Yes,” he finally replied, grabbing a copy of their new album from one of his desk drawers. “You’re new album, what’s it called, ah yes, “Destiny” right? Sounds a little too gimmicky don’t you think?”

            Sungyeol restrained an urge to nick him in the chin. He felt a hard pressure on his foot as L decidedly stomped on Sungyeol’s sensitive toes. He glared at L while the visual only gave a small shake of his head, a warning. The other members stood alert in front of the CEO, probably holding in their own fury.

            “We thought it would be a great title for our comeback, Mr. Suh. It is also the title of one of the tracks in the album. We wanted it to reflect what being together as a group, as Infinite, meant to the seven of us. When the CEO—“

            “You mean former CEO,” Mr. Suh commented, carelessly rolling their album in his hands. Sunggyu’s fists were clenched into tight balls.

            “Right, sorry, when the former CEO brought us together, we were positive it wouldn’t work out, but after getting to know each other, we began to see a future beyond what we formerly imagined. When we became Infinite, it felt like destiny to us.”

            “Hmm, I see,” He replied uninterestedly, and tossed the album back onto his desk. He motioned for them to sit in the chairs in front of them. Sungyeol sat with L and Dongwoo on one side, facing Sungjong who sat next to Hoya, and Woohyun. Sunggyu remained standing, repositioning himself across Dongwoo. The leader plastered on a reassuring smile for the others as he placed a comforting hand on Woohyun’s shoulders.

            Mr. Suh sighed and leaned across his desk to look at his money making idol group. “Fine. We’ll leave the title, but let’s discuss your other promotions. I’ve already handled the posters and touring schedule. As planned with your manager, you will be heading from Japan, to Thailand, Vietnam, and Australia in the next couple of months.”

            He then looked at the stack of papers in front of him, his eyes scanning the organized schedule that was probably designed by the secretary in the front, “Oh, and looks like next week there are a couple of photo opportunities lined up for those crazy fans of yours, what are they called again?”

            The CEO gave a mocking laugh that made Sungyeol’s skin bubble. Those fans were the only reason that Infinite had skyrocketed to the famous K-pop group that they were now. They wouldn’t be anything without them. The CEO wouldn’t be anything without them.

            “They’re called Inspirits, sir,” Sunggyu replied through thin lips. Woohyun’s shoulders started to hurt from where Sunggyu was tightly grabbing him. L put a restraining hand on Sungyeol’s arm and painfully squeezed the flesh to stop what they knew was the inevitable.

            “Are they now,” the CEO snickered a bit louder. “Well, it will certainly be “destiny” for your Inspirits to meet you. Don’t forget to do some fan service for them. You know, the aegyo and stuff. I’m sure Woohyun will handle it, right?”

            Woohyun gave a fake laugh and looked down at his hands, making sure his feet were firmly panted on the ground. Dongwoo gave a concerned look to Sunggyu who managed to keep a cold façade on his face.

            “And you Sungjong? The fans love your girl group dances. Maybe you could whip something up for them before the album comes out. What a great idea. I’ll put in more time for you all to rehearse another dance in the studio. Let’s make your practices from eight hours to twelve. Not bad, if I do say so myself.”

            Sungjong merely responded with a meek nod to Hoya’s frustration. With the way Sungjong was performing now, Hoya knew that extra practices would not make the maknae’s condition any better.

            “Sir, as you already know, we are still getting ready for our comeback. We might not be able to come up with a new dance to our fans’ and your satisfaction,” Hoya quietly commented, his voice, laced with venom, was as chilly as Sunggyu’s stare.

            “I’m sure you can figure out your synchronization by then, I mean, why else would you be known for your dance choreography? And your fans will be all too happy to even notice if you are a little off point. Trust me. I’ve been in this business long enough to know what fans are looking for. Isn’t that right, mister visual?” The CEO pointed his finger at L. “I mean, seriously, did you guys think your success only comes from talent and hard work?”

            Oh, screw it.

            “Yes, but I’m willing to bet that’s not how you got your position, Mr. Suh.”