Wake Up Call

The Infinite Story

          “Yah! Will someone please turn off Dongwoo’s alarm clock! My ears are going to explode,” Sungyeol screamed into the living room with pillows covering his sensitive ears. Sunggyu and Hoya looked at him with blank stares, and then continued to pack up their things to start their busy schedules. Like every normal morning in the Infinite dorm, nothing starts off the day quite right than the insistent complaints of their tallest member.

          “Fine, I’ll do it myself,” Sungyeol mumbled, leaving the living room finally frustrated with the unresponsiveness of his hyungs. Hoya slyly smirked as he gave Sunggyu a high five.

          Although Sungyeol was not the youngest member of the group (actually being the third youngest after L and Sungjong), he had one of the most stubborn and childish personalities, playing pranks on the other members on a daily basis. Whether it by drawing on Dongwoo’s sleeping face, putting vinegar in L’s breakfast, or even pouring flour on an unwitting Hoya, Sungyeol knew how to ease the tension of Infinte’s building pressure to succeed as a K-pop group while also creating great memories for them as well.  But, over the past few years, Infinite has grown to appreciate the other side of his character. Sungyeol wasn’t always so childish, but could be resilient and loyal, speaking his mind to unfair terms and often getting himself into trouble for proudly showing his firm beliefs—a kind of bravery that exceeded that of his hyungs. However, he was not only fearless, but also persistent. Sungyeol was the do it yourself kind of person.

          “Oh, there’s Sungjong,” Sunggyu commented while putting on his shoes. Their youngest member just got out of the shower, hair dripping with copious amounts of water. He greeted Sunggyu and Hoya in the living room, and then turned his attention to the kitchen.

          “I can’t believe this! Woohyun hyung! You didn’t do the dishes again!” Hoya winced at Sungjong’s high-pitched screech, already positioning himself to get out the door and into their manager’s waiting car. Sunggyu grabbed a towel hanging on the sofa and pushed it on top of Sungjong’s head.

          “You can nag Woohyun later when we get back. Go change, we’re going to be late,” Sunggyu rubbed the maknae’s head gently and pushed him back down the hall.

          “I’m here, hyung!” Woohyun stumbled out of Sunggyu’s and his bedroom, half his shirt on and a pair of mismatched socks in his hands. “I just had the strangest dream. You were there and Sungyeol too, we were trying to ride this water—“

          “Just get into the car!” Sunggyu pointed towards the door where Hoya just exited. “I’ll listen to your story later!”

          “But what about breakfast?” Sunggyu shoved a piece of toast into Woohyun’s mouth. “Go now!”

          Woohyun gave an apologetic grin and hastily went to grab a pair of shoes from the pile in front of the living room near the door. “What about L and Dongwoo?”

           “Sungyeol is handling them right now,” Sungjong replied from the hall as he roughly grabbed Woohyun by the shirt collar and pushed him out the door. Sunggyu could see the pent up fury rising from the youngest member, his icy tone reserved for the lazy and obnoxious behavior of Woohyun, the other half of Infinite’s main vocals. After three years, Sungjong has certainly changed from being a docile maknae to a fiery adolescent who won’t take his hyungs’ orders without a fight. Well, except for Sunggyu and occasionally Hoya, Sungjong would not hesitate to plot some type of revenge on any member who dared to tick him off.

          “See you in a bit, hyung,” Sungjong called out amidst the reproachful sounds of the Woohyun’s toast-filled mouth as they both entered the parked car.

          Sunggyu tapped his foot and put his hand on his temple. Dongwoo and L slept in the same room because they were the heaviest sleepers in the group. Every alarm clock, slap in the face, buckets of cold water failed to even shift them from dreamland’s grasps. The only thing that seemed to work was sending an angry and sleep deprived Sungyeol into their room.

          “I’m coming, I’m coming,” L grumbled out, entering the living room with wobbly steps. He took out his phone to check his reflection, which he always claimed was for the Infinite’s benefit. As Infinite’s visual, he took it upon himself to be the looks of the group, taking care of his complexion more than the other members. L may be known for his appearance, but his looks alone were not the only reason why he was part of Infinite. Although his voice couldn’t compare to Sunggyu’s soulful rocker tones and Woohyun’s strong and consistant vocals just yet, L knew he had something to prove. He unconsciously twirled around the simple grey ring on his thumb, steeling himself up for the day.

          Just when L was about the put his phone back into his pocket, he heard a ding from his inbox. He quickly skimmed through the email, not wanting to stall Infinite’s dance practice any longer when he spotted a familiar name in the text. Lee Byung-man. His face shifted from indifference to a downcast frown and his hands started to tremble slightly. Sunggyu noticed this strange change in L’s mood and reached out a hand to stop the visual’s arms from shaking as well. Before L could read more of the message, Sungyeol grabbed hold of L’s shoulders.

            “You look fine, come on,” Sungyeol laughed, pulling L along with him and out the door before the visual could even try to finish reading the email, let alone give Sunggyu a chance to figure out what was going on with L.

            “Hey! Where’s Dongwoo?” Sunggyu called out from the open door at Sungyeol who was currently shoving L next to Sungjong in the back of their manager’s black van.

            “Check his room, that’s where I left him!” Sunggyu hurriedly ran across the hall to the room that Dongwoo and L shared. Sure enough, Dongwoo was still trying to pull on his pants with his eyes shut.

            “Yah! Dongwoo! We’re going to be late,” Sunggyu cried out and helped their main rapper quickly change, stuffing some bread into his mouth to bring his energy level up. Dongwoo gave a slow nod and promptly began to fall asleep again.

Sunggyu sighed. “You know, we have some free time today, but only if we get to practice before eight. So, don’t you think we should hurry up?”

            Dongwoo’s eyes brightened up considerably as he finished changing and pushed himself out his bedroom. “Why didn’t you just say so, hyung,” Dongwoo happily asked as he speedily ran from the dorm into the manager’s car, not bothering to wait for Sunggyu.

            “This kid,” Sunggyu amusingly said and made his way into the van where the rest of s were sitting. “Yah! How could you all just leave me there when I was the first one to get up!”

            “We love you, hyung~,” they chorused as their manager drove them to their first destination.

            Sungyeol suddenly started giggling, “Guys, I forgot to turn off the alarm clock!”